Twitch Reviews | Glassdoor

Twitch Reviews

Updated December 9, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great perks, nothing to complain about (in 14 reviews)

• The company seems to endorse work life balance at first glance (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • We're in a unique position and experiencing some growing pains (in 9 reviews)

• The work/life balance is sometimes non-existent (in 5 reviews)

"Things Happen"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Twitch has a very good culture. In specific, it is very nice that I am able to play video games during work hours.

Cons

I do not feel very connected to my team mates. We do not spend a lot of time with each other during work or not during work, so that makes sense. I spend a lot of time with my computer though, we are pretty close.

Advice to Management

I think that overall twitch is a great place to work at and I don't really have any complaints for the management.

"Decline to comment"

Current Employee - N/A in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - N/A in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to work at a company that has a reputation in the industry, you can use that reputation to your advantage. Great benefits.

Cons

Management nightmare, and has been that way since before I signed on, according to glassdoor. Managemement is only keen to do the bare minimum to change this while promising they will. Resources are extremely limited, and often dedicated entirely to new feature development with no resources dedicated to resolving bugs or even maintaining those features in the future.

Product managers will abstract processes so they do not have to deal with you. This company is so compartmentalized and fragmented into specialized tasks that knowledge gets lost or the person maintaining a project has since moved on to a new project and that project gets lost. Think half-life 3 syndrome. This company is only concerned about turning profits quick, and not about real community feedback anymore. Community focused teams are often pushed aside by marketing, sales, and product teams - this is usually a major red flag in a company that releases features at a rapid pace. I have serious doubts the future of this company is sustainable. The CEO often says he cares, but I have not seen any actionable efforts by him in the past several years of this company to change that.

Advice to Management

There is no advice. You failed to listen to employees internally, which means you have failed as a management team already.

"Software Engineer"

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

All of the perks of a "hot" SF tech company and more.

Free meals, happy hours, TONS of gaming stuff, conferences, ect.

Large amounts of resources that allow developers to keep developing, and not have to worry much about meetings and stuff.

Not much politics, as far as I've seen. There might be politics at the management level, but engineers are sufficiently siloed from all of that.

The company is very successful, and is hitting its goals.

Cons

Things may be different from when they were "pre- acquisition", IE, it is no longer the close knit startup that it was when twitch was 2-300 people, which is where many of the complaints people have are coming from. But even so, it is still a pretty fun place to be, and significantly more close-knit than an average big 5 tech company.

"Great community, mediocre product, terrible work environment"

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

- Company culture is relaxed and fun
    - Amazing community and users, which helps drive a lot of motivation
    - Employees care about the product
    - Competitive pay (non-engineering)
    - Flexible work schedule
    - Perks (food, drink, etc) and unlimited vacation (based on manager approval)

Cons

- Poor exec communication
    - Career growth and opportunities are entirely based on the political status of your org, not how hard you work
    - Company strategy seems to always change or is unclear, leading to confusion for middle management and their teams on how they can contribute to the company's goals
    - Unqualified executives/leaders leading teams and pushing for numbers instead of what's right for the company, employees and customers
    - Track record of pushing new products but never following through to completion. Some examples include selling games, developer tools and VOD features.

Advice to Management

The company needs a CTO, a true technological leader than can help us scale while providing strong engineering direction.

Hire a head of product. Have that person make all of the final decisions for features that roll out to the customers (broadcasters, viewers, developers). Also, please stop having open microphone product review meetings. They are never productive.

Define the role of the CEO and get the exec team to agree. Emmett is the CTO, CPO and CIO. In his defense, it’s in lieu of strong executive / upper management and qualified individuals. Level up the exec team by bringing in new talent. Stop trying to elevate current talent because they were here first. Challenge them to improve or find a better fit.

Be more critical of leaders who don’t produce results, especially the execs and VPs.

Hire a head of B2B strategy. This person should define how the company works with business partners, which includes gaming and media companies. Also, stop experimenting with business partners. Businesses and game developers are starting to take notice and you're burning a lot of industry capital.

Have the exec team spend more time with employees to get to know them, challenge/teach them and brainstorm. This helps build morale and breaks down fences.

"Disorganized, disheartening, directionless"

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Catered breakfast 3x a week, lunch 5x a week, dinner 5x a week

- Fully stocked snacks and drinks

- Monthly massages

- People (at least IC-level people. Not including recruiting or HR -- whole other story) seem genuine and do try to make products successful

- Flexible work schedule

Cons

- PMs are poor in vision and have zero understanding of metrics (mainly Communities, Pulse, VODcast, etc). They are all extremely inexperienced and are trying to manage large, impactful products. Feel like they're being set up for failure without any guiding central leadership or principles. Weirdly, the solution seems to be to throw more PMs at an issue.

- Exec team feels completely misaligned. Everyone works in their own silo and if something goes wrong, there's a lot of finger pointing and "it was his/her stupid idea". It makes people question whether or not they even know what they're doing, but this problem is also attributed to having...

- ...a straight up terrible Chief of Staff/program director (?) who the majority of the company has no idea what she does. The way people talk about her is truly laughable (especially during review and OP1 seasons), and she's supposedly Emmett's right hand. Things include "just do what she asks" regardless of how ridiculous it is because she gets so unnecessarily belligerent. Get someone in place who can actually assist in running a tight ship and be a good mentor, and who is less concerned about appearances.

- HR is cliquey and straight up gossips about personal, confidential employee information. At least try to be discreet about it.

- Management has no idea how to grow their employees within the company given that we have to follow Amazon guidelines that are incompatible with Twitch. There doesn't seem to be any move to adapt promotion guidelines to our needs.

Advice to Management

A lot of these problems stem from the nightmare that is the exec team. I have no idea how you'd go about fixing it... best of luck before you lose more talented individuals.

"Bad entry/mid level managers and Amazon culture"

Pros

- Above average package
    - Good management for some organizations and teams
    - Some good culture in gaming
    - Fine benifits

Cons

- micromanagement
    - bad entry and mid level managers for teams
    - less exciting projects
    - low spirits
    - culture goes much like Amazon but not twitch anymore
    - lots of politics going on

Advice to Management

Less micromanagement and hire good entry and mid level managers

"No career growth"

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

I've only gotten food poisoning twice.

The morale is low. You don't have any peer pressure to work hard.

Cons

In the all hands last week they tried to address the career growth issue and showed us the statistics. In the past 2 years only about 5% of the employees were promoted per year, which means the expected time for a Twitch employee to be promoted is about 20 years.

If you are joining at Level 4 right after graduation when you are 22, expect to be promoted to Level 5 when you are about 42 years old. If you would be satisfied with your offered position for 20 years, come join Twitch.

Advice to Management

Learn basic math.

"Long Road, Solid Foundation"

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

Lots of motivated and caring employees, trying to do what's right for streamers and the company.

Cons

Lack of focus combined with explosive employee growth has led to discontent, low morale, and reduced growth.

Advice to Management

Focus on impact and strong leadership. Don't lose track of your customer.

"New hire package now includes pitchfork"

Current Employee - Software in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

interesting tech in some teams

product is fun

challenging technology problems to solve

decent work life balance

Cons

Half the company reports to CEO and the other half the company to the honorary CEO from Amazon. Halves pretend to work together but run more as silos than what not.

Amazon is taking charge and shows as top level management scrambling to meet goals or numbers. "Top" priorities change all the time, people now get screamed at because of bugs, post mortem left and right.

All engineering is extremely frustrated due to mis leveling. Company ignored Amazon's engineering processes and levels, until everyone realized it actually matters. Everyone is finding themselves today being under leveled on the system, and the promotion process is as bad as all Amazon articles mention on the internet.

New people joining at higher levels lead to resentment of existing engineers, and people joining at twitch levels find themselves sucker punched, leading also yet more resentment.

The company can't promote all engineers at once this ended causing people pitching against each other like gladiators scrambling to be on the top. People are so mad that they are now fighting each other, and resorting to things like "playing politics", bad-mouthing their peers all around behind their backs. The cliquey culture doesn't help as it actually puts value in this bad mouthing.

HR now focused the development and promotion process to just peer feedback, not goals or achievements. Promotions are still broken and with pure feedback focus this is only leading to even more all around backstabbing.

Panicking scrambling execs, angry mob of engineers fighting for a promotions, and civil war state within internal verticals. It's not good.

Advice to Management

Stop panicking

Stop changing priorities every other week

Disarm the high school drama, focus on data and objectivity

Recognize the leveling differences between Twitch and Amazon and set your performance expectations right.An L5 is not a 8-10 year industry experience person tech leading engineers, working cross teams, architecting and shipping tier 1 availability services.

"Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here"

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

I've only gotten food poisoning once.

Cons

This company has crashed and burned over the course of the last year. Pre-acquisition employees -- all the way up to the executive level -- have gone on autopilot as products, programs, and departments wither away.

Prepare to be treated inhumanely by the leadership team. Recent communications from VPs have included f-bombs and "[CEO] will take you out back and shoot you." Yikes!

We have entire departments dedicated to data science and analytics, yet decisions are ultimately made based on Emmett's intuition, not numbers. He is notoriously capricious, so anticipate lots of wasted time, energy, and money on projects that never go anywhere. He is easily the most incompetent CEO I've come across in my career.

Twitch's platform is evolving to more heavily monetize our existing users. It's incredibly scummy and limits the potential of the site.

Over the span of the last six months, Twitch's Glassdoor score has plummeted from a 4.5 to 2.X (and still freefalling). Instead of taking actions to improve employee satisfaction and morale, HR chooses instead to criticize employees who use Glassdoor and Blind to honestly express their feedback. Much of the HR/Recruiting team has left because they don't even want to work at Twitch.

Most employees are crying out for Amazon to take over. Very much a Sophie's Choice situation, but it can't possibly be any worse than it is now.

I wouldn't wish employment at Twitch on my worst enemy. Stay far, FAR away, prospective employee! I'm skeptical that the company will still exist in a few years given its current trajectory.

Advice to Management

Shame on you for squandering an opportunity to change the video platform landscape.

Fire all of the rest and vesters, then yourselves.