Twitch Reviews | Glassdoor

Twitch Reviews

Updated May 22, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great compensation and great perks (unlimited PTO is important to me) (in 18 reviews)

• Great perks: massage, free food, gym subsidy, etc (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • We're in a unique position and experiencing some growing pains (in 10 reviews)

• Because of mandates from upper management pushing a product or idea because they think it will drive minutes (in 8 reviews)

"Great company in transition"

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart, clever, hardworking coworkers. New Leadership transitioning Twitch to a more mature company focused of on long term goals. Amazon RSUs are amazing.

Cons

There is a small contingent of in titled employees who complain about everything.

Advice to Management

Don't let the squeakiest wheels get all the grease. Stay focused on objectives. Move low and moderate performers who complain about everything out of the org. Continue to bring in smart people who want to be there.

"Not perfect but overall a good company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- I work with some very dedicated folks.
    - Good benefits, though they are similar to what you'll find with other tech companies.
    - Love the product and community that I'm a part of.
    - Interesting work, which is certainly not a given in our field.

Cons

- Lots of politics though I'm seeing some slow but positive change here.
    - Lots of entitled folks though I think they're the vocal minority.
    - Amazon can be a bit stifling at times but overall it's not bad to have them in our corner.

Advice to Management

Keep moving in the upward direction you're going. I'm hopeful that we hit the bottom and are now on our way up. Some of the recent hires in leadership seem to be good, though only time will tell. I'd say I'm guardedly optimistic but we've been burned in the past.

"crisis mode...business as usual"

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-The product/communities on Twitch

-The perks (massage, food, drinks, in-office dentist/medical)

-Gaming as an industry is on the climb

Cons

-The entitlement is out of control at this company. Many employees don’t understand that they’re living large off of Amazon’s handouts, while Amazon isn’t aware of how unscrupulous Twitch is with their money.

-Management team is completely clueless. CEO, CFO, CMO and COO foster teams that rely on fire drilling with little to no stability. There have been several reorganizations, and with each one, it becomes more clear that the leadership team is lost.

-No accountability all the way down the management chain. Twitch doesn’t reward/punish people for achieving or missing their goals, they just continue to focus their time on creating new goals for the following year.

-There is no career development at Twitch. Most employees that have received promotions have done so through playing politics and becoming the most useful firefighter. Twitch does not have a culture of merit based compensation/promotions.

Advice to Management

-Instead of making small organizational changes every 4 months, make the huge changes now and start building trust. This should help the product and engineering teams focus on execution so Twitch can actually improve.

"Good work life balance but lower salary compared to competitors"

Current Employee - Software Engineer L5 in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer L5 in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Good perks. Complementary food, snacks, juices..
    2. Flexible work from home policy..
    3. Great work culture in many orgs
    4. Great work life balance..

Cons

1. Salary is lower compared to other competitors in the area. It's difficult to live and work in SF at this salary.. ppl in Seattle get kinda same salary.. if Amazon stock stops appreciating, employees are screwed with such low bar of salary..

Advice to Management

We need at least 50k increase in salary caps.. Seattle salary cap plus few grand won't work in SF..

"Maybe it was a bad place to work at one point, but I like working here now"

I have been working at Twitch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* Great benefits and perks.
    * Fun product with a really excited community and fanbase.
    * Lots of scope and latitude.
    * Clear vision for where Twitch is headed.

Cons

* Can be some weird politics between Amazon and Twitch.

Advice to Management

* Keep on the path and lock in the strategy for longer.

"Even with issues, still an awesome place to work"

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart people, crazy passionate user base, good comp

Cons

Can feel disorganized with lots of rapid change (org structure, metrics)

"Great Company, Exciting Space"

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

Exciting space, fast-growing company, lots of opportunities, great culture, great people, great benefits, great company vision, fun atmosphere, overall very positive

Cons

There are growing pains with every high-growth company, but the recent re-org and company vision seems to address these issues

"Misinformation abounds. Politics low and high. Lack of product and brand identity."

Former Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twitch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of great coworkers. Perks like meals and gym are nice, but you can get them most anyplace. Helping aspirational entertainers make a living feels good.

Cons

CEO too in the weeds. Product managers constantly jerked about. Engineers having to start and stop all the time. Agreement one day, new direction the next.

Advice to Management

Give people room to breathe. Instill accountability, remove micromanagement.

"re-orgs all day every day"

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are passionate about their work and community

Cons

Management doesn't have a clear direction and when they do it only lasts for a month. During my time at Twitch, it's been nothing but reorgs, new managers, and re-prioritization of needs or features. Management needs to provide teams on why they are doing X and then let them either succeed or accomplish that goal.

"Not perfect, but overall great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've worked at 4-5 large tech companies in the Bay Area, and when I started at Twitch it totally blew me away. The perks were better than most companies I've been at (Snacks, Swag, Gear, Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner), and Twitch had a diverse mix of talent- super smart senior engineers, as well as new interns and college grads. The scale of the stack we run is insane, at a scale that only a handful of companies operate at, including Google and Facebook. I can't speak for other parts of the organization, but my manager is very laid back and gives us a lot of freedom to achieve our goals.

Cons

Since I started, things have shifted and many older employees are on their way out as they vest stock. Some of the perks, like swag, have diminished quite a bit, and some frustrating IT processes have made life difficult, either in the name of security or for management reasons. The tech debt has started to catch up with us, and we spend a lot of resources troubleshooting incidents and replacing old systems.

However- despite all this, I have a very positive outlook on Twitch. We are growing at a rapid pace, and Twitch can deliver insane amounts of video around the world and does this very well. Twitch also has an amazing community and culture that is 100% grassroots, and not artificial and forced like it is at places like Facebook. Also the compensation is good, and you get the benefits of working for Amazon (Stock, etc) without a lot of the downsides that they have. It's the best of both worlds.

Twitch Response

Feb 12, 2018 – VP

"Thanks for your review! Appreciate your thoughts feedback. We are actively working to better our IT processes and systems. I will make sure I share your feedback with our executive team. - Sally... More