Twitch Reviews | Glassdoor

Twitch Reviews

Updated April 17, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The perks are great; free food, snacks, bar (in 15 reviews)

• Free food great people nice place (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • We're in a unique position and experiencing some growing pains (in 10 reviews)

• Because of mandates from upper management pushing a product or idea because they think it will drive minutes (in 8 reviews)

"Very disorganized technology stack for a site of its size."

I worked at Twitch full-time

Pros

Compensation was adequate, lots of customers.

Cons

As a software engineer I was simply appalled at how amateurish their tech stack and build environments were. I wasted countless hours hunting down tests that failed for no reasons in poor or non-existing staging environments, in code that was a mess, with only a few over-taxed senior engineers who had any clue how any of the mess worked. I've worked in lots of startups and tech debt is a normal part of the game but there comes a point (like, for example, when you sell to Amazon for a billion dollars) where you have to really invest massively to dig yourself out of the debt and build an actual, professional, system. They haven't done this; doesn't seem like they are even trying.

But, above all else, I found myself just hating the product and the juvenile culture associated with it.

Advice to Management

Get your tech stack under control.

Twitch Response

Feb 19, 2018 – VP

Thank you for your feedback! We agree we have room for improvement. I have shared your feedback with our new technology leader and our executive team.

"Twitch Rocks"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Twitch is by for one of the best places I have worked!

Cons

Every place has its cons, but the ones at Twitch are less than the ones I've known elsewhere.

"Twitch Was Started By Passion. Now It's Overrun With Politics and Communication Magic Tricks"

I worked at Twitch full-time

Pros

Some of the most intelligent individuals in the business got their start here doing what they love.

Cons

CLARITY. The operation is mostly governed by people that refuse to reflect upon failures to and iterate upon those action. Some upper management aren't held accountable for keeping information clear to those they manage, and things are thrown to this last minute caution to the wind on release. Highest level management is convinced people don't succeed because they don't put in the effort. Many employees don't believe in the product nor care to be educated.

Advice to Management

You're losing really passionate and smart people left and right, and this isn't about rest and vest-- really passionate/believing individuals forge ahead. Talk about your real issues, people would faster talk to a continually improving company that admits weakness than one that hopes to be a god of right answers.

"Not What You Expect"

I worked at Twitch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are some very hard working people here. There are also some very good people here.
    Perks.

Cons

Culture is horrible and really unprofessional. I feel for the HR department here. There's a constant battle in the company of Old Twitch vs New Twitch (+Amazon), but coming from someone who's seen successful, functioning companies - Twitch needed a change. They can't retain new hires and employees are constantly resigning. Many of the events that happened at this company would not fly at any respectable Tech companies. Their in-work chat is extremely hostile and exclusive. It was a real let down, because Twitch spews this constant mantra of community - but don't let that fool you. There's absolutely no inclusivity for the most part, and any attempts made I've seen constantly slandered as a joke by the dominant bro-culture.

Most people who enjoy working here were insiders from the start, or already part of the Twitch Community in some form.

"Exhausting"

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

Flexible work schedule
    Dog-friendly
    Massages
    There is a decent chunk of smart, driven people who are fun to work with. (Whether they will last or be able to drive change in this environment is another question.)

Cons

The culture here is really toxic and downright exhausting. Really draining for all parties involved, I think. Newer additions see the existing structure and tech stack as a mess and pre-acq employees as non-contributors or incompetent, and those who have been with Twitch for longer are disappointed with the culture change and dilution of the product/content. This could be mitigated by strong executive management, but the executive team is simply weak, and often contributes to the problem with decision whiplash, constantly moving goalposts, frequent re-orgs and a preference for gossip and finger-pointing over directly tackling issues. The CEO himself is the source an overwhelming majority of the time and it just trickles down from there.

The mess is exacerbated by a near non-existent career development or HR structure to reward successful employees, or even provide basic help for those who are suffering. (Stories of people waiting years for promised role changes are common.) Employees' only recourse is to leave or get extremely apathetic and lean on the flexible work policy.

Advice to Management

It feels more and more like the company will only improve by replacing the management team, which I imagine will happen soon. Easier advice for the meantime would be to lessen direct gossiping by certain executives and HR staff, because it is rampant.

Twitch Response

Feb 19, 2018 – VP

Thank you for your honest feedback. We have recently added new executives to our team. We are interested in your direct feedback to help us expedite the necessary changes. We would love to have a... More

"Burnout of Passionate People due to Management"

I worked at Twitch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of fantastic, brilliant, hard working, fun, welcoming, passionate people to call coworkers and friends.

Potential to do great things and make a lot of impact, BUT...

Cons

A lot of outside managers being brought in the last 2 years, mostly from within the gaming industry, but not all truly understand what makes the Twitch brand special. Few individuals within the company are being promoted to management positions if they weren't already managing.

Lots of management and org changes, which make it difficult to find your footing and grow vertically.

Internal communication and transparency is terrible and inconsistent. Some orgs are better about communicating to the rest of the company than others, resulting in a lot of disorganization and chaos when timing is down to the wire. A lot of folks don't read or pay attention to what was discussed or agreed upon, which make it difficult to keep progress going.

Conflicting corporate values between "Twitch" and "Amazon" can make it challenging to figure out what standards to operate and hold yourself against.

There have always been politics at Twitch, but the past couple of years it's become even more political, and the "People Ops" team is (generally) NOT on the employee's side if or when you become entangled in office politics (they tend to side with management).

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees, because their success is your success. Be ethical, because doing things right and right by others helps you in the long run.

"Not sure where this company is headed"

I worked at Twitch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Twitch is a known player in the industry- working here is like a little badge you get to flaunt. There are great perks, that's for sure. Unlimited PTO (depending on your manager), catered meals, snacks, gaming rooms, monthly massage slots, gym gets reimbursed, flexible work hours, holiday break, etc. The company seems to endorse work life balance at first glance. There are a lot of passionate, smart, and hardworking people at the IC level, reminds you what you're capable of doing every once in awhile- wish those people would get recognition more.

Cons

Leadership is a mess. Many are not in alignment with each other, and their lack of shared vision (which is a company value) trickles down and affects the people actually carrying out daily work. Leaders and those in managerial or positions of power are quick to blame their teams or other teams. Or they don't own up to their lack of management and leadership skills. Goals don't seem to match up between teams, or even within teams, which makes it confusing to get work done. People with lots of experience but no people or team building skills get promoted into management. Poor communication almost everywhere, makes for a really difficult and frustrating work environment. Almost makes me not have fun with gaming anymore because the work environment turns me off. Also, heard employees get away with unprofessional behavior/misconduct. HR and senior management should pay attention to those issues as well- not just productivity and minutes watched or whatever the next KPI is. I don't think the value and image of working at Twitch is worth dealing with the workplace.

"Loved working at Twitch back in the day"

I worked at Twitch part-time

Pros

Great vision, great leadership. If you love video games this is the must.

Cons

Nothing of note really to say.

"Best job of my life"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Perks are great
    - Lots of interesting work and projects
    - Leadership has clear and reasonable goals
    - Nice work life balance
    - Coworkers are awesome to work with

Cons

- Grew a bit too fast and made some bad hires
    - Some conflicting business goals and metrics across teams

Advice to Management

- Raise the hiring bar
    - More Friday happy hours pls :)

"Poor morale; weak engineering culture"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Perks in line with other SF tech companies
    - Decent salary and benefits
    - Flexible work schedule
    - Some good people
    - Games? I guess?
    - Nice office if you're in Bush or Sansome. God help you if you're in 2EC.

Cons

- Widespread lack of confidence in executive team
    - Employees openly mock CEO
    - Cliqueish
    - No career progression
    - Low diversity
    - Not-Invented-Here syndrome
    - Massive technical debt that's only getting worse
    - Stack is so fragile that any big event of real importance entails a company wide code freeze because otherwise we're guaranteed to go down
    - Reaction to instability is to slap restrictions on engineering teams instead of addressing fundamental architectural and cultural problems ("operational excellence" -- el oh el)
    - HR is unprofessional. Actually included a curseword in a companywide e-mail.

Many if not most core employees at Twitch, including managers and directors, have never worked anywhere else. It shows. Twitch decided to triple in size before investing in a solid foundation built on tooling, DevOps, quality control, and building an engineering culture.

Twitch does not have an engineering culture. When most people talk about culture at Twitch, they're talking about the food.

Writing code is not engineering. A lot of people don't seem to understand this. You want documentation? A knowledge base? Best practices? Mentoring? Some standard kind of bug tracking or requirements management process? Tests? Local development environments? Staging environments? Continuous integration? Forget it. Forget all of it. There's variation here on a team by team basis -- some are better than others -- but that just underscores the point that there's no *coherent* culture across the wider engineering org. It's chaos.

As a result of this lack of coherence, not just every team but every project ends up spending 60-70% of its engineering effort on deployment, monitoring, alerting, and metrics. Everything is bespoke, and there is massive duplication of effort all around. Every project and every line of code written only makes the situation worse than it already is. God help our skeletal DevOps and systems teams.

An enterprising individual could write a whole new antipatterns book based entirely on case studies taken from Twitch. The executive team has no understanding of how software development works at scale.

Advice to Management

The executive team needs some... adjustment. Product development should be massively slowed down or halted entirely until we aren't going down every other month. We desperately need an empowered CTO who understands how to build an engineering culture. Even with the proper investment and focus, it's going to take a long time to dig out of this hole.