Twitch Reviews | Glassdoor

Twitch Reviews

Updated August 14, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The perks are great, you can't really ask for more (in 6 reviews)

• Hard working environment, but there is work/life balance, if you want to work out middle of day, fine, just get your job done (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is going through some growing pains, but overall they have been relatively smooth (in 7 reviews)

• Upper management has lost control of the company; people say and do whatever they want (in 4 reviews)

"Not for grown ups"

Pros

Good amenities (meals, snacks, massages). HR, Facilities and IT staff are great and those teams work hard to try to create a good environment for employees. Company has room to grow and better than average chance for future success.

Cons

Standard benefits (health insurance, 401K match, RSU vesting schedule) are really poor. If you come here, negotiate hard on salary, since the benefits package means you could end up taking an inadvertent pay cut. (Personally, I'd rather have decent insurance than free massages.) Standard growing pains of any startup moving into maturity-resistance to structure, middle-school-ish work culture, unseasoned business folks who need a ton of hand-holding. Tough environment for established professionals-daily exercise in frustration.

Advice to Management

Provide more robust training for your business teams and enforce better, more professional standards in general. Chaos doesn't generally produce success.

Sep 6, 2016

Appreciate the feedback and sorry that you're no longer with Twitch. We're certainly a company that has more growing to do, and I know Emmett and the exec team are working hard to continually help... More

"5/7 place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Truly a wonderful place to work. Every day has been nonstop fun and learning. The diversity of people, their backgrounds, and even their favorite games really plays a huge factor in fostering this culture that you can't find anywhere else. This was my fourth internship and I by far the best experience. Everyone you meet is impressive in both their background and the knowledge they provide. Despite this, everyone is humble and willing to pass on their knowledge. You'll never find a single day where you're bored!

Emmett is very sharp and honest about the direction of the company–he'll tell it like it is. The company is in good hands!

Cons

Twitch doesn't face any challenges different from the common ones that all other transitioning companies are facing. If anything, Twitch handles them all exceptionally well.

The Hildons on the 9 floor lobby are gone :(

Advice to Management

Please put the Hildons back!

Aug 29, 2016

Thanks for the review and glad you had a great internship experience! Hope you come back to join us full-time! - Arthur Yamamoto / Director of Recruiting

"Best Place I Have Ever Worked"

Pros

Companies talk about corporate culture but Twitch is a place that where it is felt every day. Emmett and the leadership team at Twitch have created a special place. It's a place where over 500 people are inspired to adopt the company's mission and values as their own, empowered to think about the best ways to do so. A place where management truly appears to be a responsibility not a right, with those in those positions held to higher scrutiny and a higher standard. A place where all voices are encouraged to take the time to commit or experiment not just comply, think about what things should be not what things are and share this vision, welcome everyone but grow each one.

Cons

There are growing pains transitioning from being one of the leading Silicon Valley startup to being a subsidiary of the leading ecommerce company in the world. Leveraged right, being under the Amazon umbrella can be a positive and leadership at Twitch is committed to trying to combine the best of Twitch and Amazon.

Aug 15, 2016

Thanks for the feedback! Glad to hear you love working here and hope we (and you) can continue to make this an amazing place to work as we continue to grow and scale! - Arthur Yamamoto / Director... More

4. "I love working at Twitch"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

perks, flexibility, challenges, camraderie, fun product

Cons

The company has growing pains, but people are good at what they do, so I'm optimistic

Advice to Management

keep Twitch a happy place!

Aug 22, 2016

Thanks for the review! - Arthur Yamamoto / Director of Recruiting

"high velocity, lots of culture, strong community"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of things remind me of a startup even though Twitch is owned by Amazon: - very little red tape; lots of free food; lots of passion; not top-heavy; no politics.
    Pay and benefits are competitive.

Cons

Field has a lot competition.

Aug 9, 2016

Thanks for the review!

"Sadly slowing down"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

Great product, inspiring engineers, hard challenges to solve and a breathtaking office in central San Francisco.

Cons

Managers. The current way of solving issues is hiring more managers up until the point where nothing moves anywhere.

Advice to Management

Make the company move fast again before someone else overtakes the market position.

Aug 9, 2016

Appreciate the feedback. if you're ever interested, would love to chat directly about your manager concerns. I don't think we're just hiring "managers", I believe the rate at which we've hired... More

"Obsessed with making employees happy"

Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's very clear that Twitch believes the best way to have productive engineers is to make them happy. I'm often asked in 1:1s for feedback, pain points, and general well-being. My managers have been very transparent with their own goals in managing and I feel comfortable bringing up anything on my mind with my manager, even touchy subjects.

Twitch has done a great job keeping its startup gaming culture after the Amazon acquisition -- playing games at your desk is commonplace. Where another company may have employees walking by say things like "Games in the middle of the day eh?", Twitch employees instead come at you with "What deck you running?" or "WHAT A DEAD GAEM".

On the business side, the company cares deeply about broadcasters and it's refreshing to see business goals align so well with making users happy. Risky products that we're unsure about often go through talks with broadcasters for feedback, and the Partnerships team has gotten really good at facilitating these connections. I feel proud to work at a company that's so well-loved by its content creators.

Emmett is one of the smartest people I know and I could listen to him talk for hours.

Twitch employees are very open to ideas, arguments, and being wrong. Dozens of times I've joined into an ad hoc conversation I overheard and within minutes directly affected a product with my input.

The postmortem culture, in most areas of the company, is well-intentioned and blameless. Problems don't often come down to "I screwed up, won't happen again"; they correctly go beyond that into "together we've built a system that allowed a screw up to take down the site; how do we fix that?". Some areas of the company lag behind here -- the video team's culture is infamous for being isolated from the rest of engineering and its ideals, for better or worse -- but in general it's good.

Cons

I said above that Twitch has kept its startup culture, but there are other things that it hasn't kept. Initially, Amazon was completely hands-off with the acquisition, which was great. But very, very slowly they're creeping into the scene, needing to approve all compensation adjustments, wanting to build coordinated products, Amazonifying all Twitch laptops, teaching us about interviewing, requiring periodic security training, getting Amazon badges and turnstiles, etc.

Each case individually isn't a big deal and is backed by good reasons (lots of these are "we need to fix <scaling issue> and Amazon already has so let's use their solution), but I can't deny that over time it becomes more and more apparent that we're an Amazon company whose large decisions need to go through our friends in Seattle. For now this doesn't affect me a ton, but I imagine within a couple of years I'll be ready to leave for something smaller.

Advice to Management

Identify and fix the issues that cause people to think of Amazon as Big Brother. This isn't an easy thing to do. But if the creep keeps happening at the same rate, people will leave.

Jun 6, 2016

Thanks for the review and feedback! To be clear, while I understand your perspective - all of the decisions on the things you mentioned were made by the Twitch executive team. At the end of the... More

"NYC Twitch Office"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Constantly being challenged creatively and intellectually.
    Amazing team mentality and family atmosphere

Cons

Long hours working with west coast teams

Advice to Management

Provide compensation increases based more heavily on merit rather than time at company

Jun 6, 2016

Thanks for the review and feedback! Twitch NYC rocks- Arthur Yamamoto / Director of Recruiting

"Great product / people | All just hiring | Few promotions | Becoming too top-heavy"

Current Employee - Marketing
    Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

* Amazing product
    * Amazing people, most truly care about the product and "get it"
    * Empowering management that notices and rewards those who do a good job
    * Fantastic perks
    * Best exec team I've worked for so far

Cons

* Hiring directors / managers rather than promoting people who have contributed
    * Politics (In the past this was less of a problem)

Advice to Management

Promote within instead of hiring managers who don't know the industry / don't know Twitch.
    Keep telling people "great job" and giving credit.
    Ask people for feedback and listen (this happens most of the time).
    Everything else is wonderful, please keep doing what you're doing.

Thanks for the review and feedback! - Arthur Yamamoto / Director of Recruiting

"Amazing place to work"

I worked at Twitch full-time

Pros

Awesome office and they really provide a space where you feel welcomed and creative. Every day is a new challenge and it feels very satisfying to complete each day

Cons

San Francisco is always a bother to commute in but carpool is an easy fix

May 16, 2016

Thanks for the positive feedback and wish you luck in your new endeavor - Arthur Yamamoto / Director of Recruiting