Twitch Reviews | Glassdoor

Twitch Reviews

Updated August 14, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The perks are great, you can't really ask for more (in 6 reviews)

• Hard working environment, but there is work/life balance, if you want to work out middle of day, fine, just get your job done (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is going through some growing pains, but overall they have been relatively smooth (in 7 reviews)

• Upper management has lost control of the company; people say and do whatever they want (in 4 reviews)

"World Class Organization"

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Start up culture, opportunities to choose your own destiny and be impactful. Fantastic perks and a leadership team that goes to great lengths to take care of their employees beyond what has become the typical snacks and meals of Silicon Valley.

Career development is emphasized and not left as an afterthought to be discussed once a year. We are given tangible goals to achieve that lead to our next career milestone in compensation or promotion.

Having worked for Google twice, Zynga and true start-ups, Twitch successfully blends the stability of a larger corporations with the flexibility and autonomy of smaller more nimble start-ups.

Cons

Constant change and evolution can be disruptive. The nature of our business leads to many things being kept secret despite an effort to communicate to the company during weekly all hands meetings. Compensation model is based on Amazon's which is unusual.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep Twitch true to it's origins regardless of the growth.

"Unsuccessfully Dealing with Corporate Puberty"

Former Employee - Network Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Network Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twitch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some incredibly smart, motivated people work there. If you can engage them you will do amazing things. Dogs allowed in the office, which is incredible. Support staff and contractors are hard-working and friendly, and the office is in a convenient location.

Cons

I relocated internationally for a job at Twitch. Unfortunately the company was moving and hiring so fast that I got sidetracked into fulfilling a need that was not really what I do, and I'm not particularly good at. I was yelled at a lot for not being particularly good at this thing that is not what I do.

Inside of the company is middle management hell. Emmett Shear is probably the smartest person I've ever met, and his corporate values are incredible, but they functionally don't exist. Middle managers have different agendas from other middle managers and sometimes these stack and are opposite to each other. By the time said directions reach workers it can be impossible to know which to follow. On more than one occasion I had been dealt with harshly by my manager for following the directions they gave me.

The reality is that everyone's so afraid of the culture being warped that they hold things very close to their chest. If you ever raise a problem in someone else's department as Emmett specifically instructs, prepare for trouble, abuse, and people lying about you to your manager. I grew more depressed, made worse by the fact that the food made me sick almost every other day. I stopped eating with the team to avoid diarrhoea. This sounds like a joke. It isn't. I discovered some less-than-ethical behavior and tried to see if perhaps there was something I'd not understood, and instead was treated with disdain.

This company will set you up for failure and then make it your fault when you do. It was utterly disappointing and an incredible yet awful experience. My volunteered time raised tens of thousands for charity, helped professional esports teams reach their goals, and spent as much time as any broadcaster was willing to input working with them to improve their show. But the time spent after work not wanting to speak to or see anyone from being burnt out more than overcame that.

Not working at Twitch is an great feeling, and it's very conflicting loving the site and userbase so much but having the back-end running of an organization be so depressing.

When people read this (and I know they will, having seen people publicly mock negative glass-door reviews of current employees), if they figure out who I am they will find ways to disregard this feedback by personally attacking me to invalidate the experience.

Maybe there was a time when Twitch knew who it was. Maybe Emmett's ideals existed when there were 20, 50, 100 people. At 500, they haven't for some time. Overall, I guess it was a good experience, in the way that terrible things sometimes are for the roller-coaster they put you through.

While there are many good things about the company, I cannot in any good conscience recommend a career here - only a job. No Kappa.

Advice to Management

- Make sure Twitch Values are known and reinforced at all levels
    - An org chart is funcitonally useless if no-one knows who to talk to when they have a problem with [blank], teams are heavily silo'd. Assign inter-dept liasons, publicly listed.
    - Prepare food on-site rather than catered, a small unscientific survey I took of 10 people showed 7 of 10 complained regularly of getting the runs
    - Improve reporting to Amazon; the overlords suspect many dodgy things are going on, hiding it won't help. They know, trust me.
    - More IT. Requestioning basic hardware takes 2 - 3 months (up from 2 - 3 days when I started)
    - The visionaries are either in management already, or leaving. Identify staff with leadership potential, foster their growth within the org.
    - Understand that your staff will receive at least 1 linkedin poaching request from a major tech company a month. Perks won't keep people around, they just make life easier. Perks aren't real - the relationships within the company are. Work to develop more relationships and ensure that people know how their products fill inter-departmental requirements.

Apr 14, 2016

Thanks for your feedback, the company is growing rapidly and we're all doing our best to keep this a great place to work. I haven't heard or experienced what you did with the food, but I'll... More

"Twitch is passionate about their product!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great perks, great people, exciting work. Twitch is filled with people who really care about the product they're building, and that makes the work all that much more worthwhile. It's great to be part of a company that is transition from startup to a larger company; Amazon provides Twitch with support, but Twitch still retains the culture that made it unique in the first place.

Cons

The company is going through some growing pains, but overall they have been relatively smooth. From an engineering standpoint, the biggest hurdle is digging through legacy code that nobody seems to know about, since all of the people that wrote said code are now in management roles or left the company after the acquisition.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing; it's working. Listen to employee advice to improve the workplace, and it'll get even better!

Apr 20, 2016

Great to hear and thanks for the feedback. - Arthur Yamamoto / Director of Recruiting

"Amazing Community and Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch (Less than a year)

Pros

Passionate, driven, community-focused company with amazingly smart people in a unique environment. Growth curve means tons of opportunity to learn and participate in projects, regardless of your level. Knowing and playing video games as a part of your job!

Cons

It's a growth company: change is constant, lacks some structure (for now)

Apr 6, 2016

Appreciate the feedback. Change will always be constant for a scaling company, but hopefully we get better with the structure piece! If there's any additional feedback you'd like to share - please... More

"One word: Awesome"

Current Employee - Network Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company doing great things. Love everything about working here. Could not ask for a better company to work for IMO. Sure the work is hard and plentiful but what real job isn't if it's worth anything.

Cons

I don't care too much for San Francisco or the commute everyday (not that Twitch can do anything about that). Other than that no problems for me.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. Totally love it!

Apr 20, 2016

Awesome to hear!

"Growth is hard, but you'll learn a lot!"

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

Twitch is one of the rare companies that is both legitimately community-driven and takes that responsibility seriously. It is a platform where our broadcasters get paid for their creative work, which is a mission that motivates many (most?) people at the company. The CEO is an intellectually honest leader, who takes autonomy seriously as a value. There are tons of opportunities for talented people to take on on-unowned parts of the company or product and have a big impact and learn a ton in the process.

Cons

There are lots of parts of how Twitch operates that no one feels responsible for fixing. In the transition from a smaller company to a larger one, those ownership gaps are getting filled in, usually for the better. But it can be frustrating to ask "why is XYZ still a mess?" and the answer is "because it's no one's job to make XYZ great."

Advice to Management

Acknowledge that growth is hard and takes time! Hiring and integrating new people is a major part of my job, but it sometimes gets treated as "take on big opportunities A, B, and C and also hire 20 amazing people" like hiring is an afterthought, rather than a zero sum effort.

Apr 5, 2016

Thanks for the review and feedback. Hopefully we can address those messy XYZ's sooner rather than later!

Director of Recruiting

"Twitch is motivating and full of great people!"

Current Employee - Director of Programming in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Programming in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Twitch is a fast growing, flexible tech and creative company that gives their employees the ability to flex their power and knowledge in this space. One of the most amazing things about Twitch is the very eclectic talent pool of employees. There are so many experts that it's hard to not learn something new at Twitch everyday. The other thing that flows through this company is passion. You'll find people who are willing to go above and beyond simply due to their love of the company, Twitch, and it's community. It's a very rewarding place to hang one's hat.

Cons

Due to the growth of the company, things can sometimes move slower than you'd like. Thankfully, this has gotten much better over time, but occasionally you can still feel the dull thump of growing pains (which frankly, is a good problem to have!)

"Variety of Challenges and A Rare Opportunity"

I have been working at Twitch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

+ Work with smart people who care about their product and craft
    + Employees are empowered to actively experiment and make improvements
    + Company that knows and actively participates in its community
    + Opportunity to shape the future of the engineering organization
    + People are well compensated and continuously taken care of

Twitch is one of the few places I've worked where people are day in and day out passionate about what they work on. It's because many, before becoming employees, were viewers, broadcasters and contributors themselves.

Twitch is currently growing along with the size of its community. It's a rare opportunity to work at that juncture in defining how Twitch will operate in the coming years. Not a chance you get with many smaller startups or larger more established companies.

Cons

- Feeling a real need for more human resources
    - In a period of experimentation to figure out what makes sense for the future

Advice to Management

Expand opportunities or amenities to make working outside the expensive SF metro area more accessible.

Apr 5, 2016

Thanks for the feedback. We're definitely exploring more remote or non-SF offices and hope to have some progress on that soon. And we're definitely planning to grow HR further.

Arthur... More

"Growing, Fast-Paced, Challenging"

I have been working at Twitch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Rapid growth means many opportunities for advancement. Cutting edge issues to deal with every single day. Smart, young people all around you. Free food, free happy hours, great benefits.

The pay is way above market.

Cons

Rapid growth means growing pains. Amazon is looking to add controls, which many at the company are resisting. Hard to maintain a company culture when there are more new people every day.

Advice to Management

We need to keep hiring the best and brightest or we are doomed. That means we have to keep getting the word out about what makes Twitch special: it has the security of Amazon, but the culture of a startup. Also, we need more space!

Apr 5, 2016

Company cultures evolve and change as companies grow, but hopefully we'll keep hiring people who are in line with what makes Twitch great.

Director of Recruiting

"An opportunity to help others be successful!"

Current Employee - Director, Strategic Partnerships
    Current Employee - Director, Strategic Partnerships

I have been working at Twitch (More than a year)

Pros

Our jobs here at Twitch is to help others succeed. All of our departments focus on providing the tools, advice and support for our broadcasters to be successful and our community having the content they would wish for. It's a wonderful feeling to go to sleep and wake up knowing that you have created opportunity for others and brought a smile to countless faces each day.

Cons

We work long hours and travel a lot. This might be considered a con but I find it exciting and fulfilling.

Advice to Management

You all work so hard, please find some downtime to stop and smell the roses and feel the sun on your skin.

Great advice!