Twitch Reviews | Glassdoor

Twitch Reviews

Updated February 12, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great perks, nothing to complain about (in 15 reviews)

• Great perks: massage, free food, gym subsidy, etc (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • We're in a unique position and experiencing some growing pains (in 9 reviews)

• The work/life balance is sometimes non-existent (in 5 reviews)

"Bad entry/mid level managers and Amazon culture"

Pros

- Above average package
    - Good management for some organizations and teams
    - Some good culture in gaming
    - Fine benifits

Cons

- micromanagement
    - bad entry and mid level managers for teams
    - less exciting projects
    - low spirits
    - culture goes much like Amazon but not twitch anymore
    - lots of politics going on

Advice to Management

Less micromanagement and hire good entry and mid level managers

"No career growth"

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

I've only gotten food poisoning twice.

The morale is low. You don't have any peer pressure to work hard.

Cons

In the all hands last week they tried to address the career growth issue and showed us the statistics. In the past 2 years only about 5% of the employees were promoted per year, which means the expected time for a Twitch employee to be promoted is about 20 years.

If you are joining at Level 4 right after graduation when you are 22, expect to be promoted to Level 5 when you are about 42 years old. If you would be satisfied with your offered position for 20 years, come join Twitch.

Advice to Management

Learn basic math.

"Long Road, Solid Foundation"

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

Lots of motivated and caring employees, trying to do what's right for streamers and the company.

Cons

Lack of focus combined with explosive employee growth has led to discontent, low morale, and reduced growth.

Advice to Management

Focus on impact and strong leadership. Don't lose track of your customer.

"Total shitshow - stay far away"

I worked at Twitch full-time

Pros

Free food
    Flexible work schedules
    Free messages at work

Cons

Twitch is basically dead; if not, taking its last breaths as it drowns painfully in its own mess. The place is a clownshow. Incremental to incompetent management who can't align on a singular goal, they've onboarded a whole bunch of so called "high profile hires", big names from big name places, who surprisingly, have never used twitch a day in their lives. Twitch used to only hire people who were fanatic about Twitch and were passionate about growing the community; now, there' s a bunch of people who to this day don't use the product; how do you build a product if you've never used it a day in your life??

Management is either incompetent or too tired to give a crap. To be fair, many of the old guards have done a tremendous job building the wonderful community that is Twitch, and they deserve to cash out on their vest and enjoy a long-deserved break, and my hats off to them. However, please don't blend retirement with work. I get that you don't want to rock the boat so you can wait one more year for your 4 year vest, and then you can leave rich and happy. But godammit, how can you sit idle watching something you spent years building being destroyed by people who have no idea wtf they're doing?

Last, Twitch culture is dead; incremental to the lack of Twitch spirit in the office, the new managers have all been amazonianfied. They care about you sitting at your desk even if you're not doing anything, they ask for tasks in unreasonable deadlines, and they throw you under the bus when their incompetence screws things up even further. Now, all your passionate employees have left or are leaving, the remaining backbone that is your community is decaying because you are killing it. It's honestly really sad to see something that was once so beautiful turn into something so ugly.

Last, about the future outlook about the company; there is no future outlook. Company is dead.

Advice to Management

Think back to the days when you were still a 50 employees company.
    Recruit people who are actually part of the community and can understand the community

"Ship good work then get out"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

What's great is you will definitely deliver impactful work with brilliant coworkers. Perks are decent (though should be judged as part of the compensation package), you get to watch Twitch all day and be ground-zero at the one of the newest, coolest movements out there.

Cons

If you want to progress your career or learn from experienced mentors, look elsewhere. History has shown that Twitch is FAR more likely to promote from outside than from within. It's disheartening and we continue to lose brilliant, good-hearted people as a result. They are the smart ones that took control of their environments by leaving.

Depending on how stagnant your manager is, prepare to have little to no mind paid to your professional development. Engineering more or less follows Amazon's leveling structure, but with more hurdles. Anecdotally most non-engineers don't have formal leveling guidelines/expectations.

The HR department has been the worst of my career. When pressed, we're fed empty promises with a smirk. Virtually the entire HR team quit/was fired recently, and I'm wary of the ones that remain. Most do not feel comfortable working with them, let alone trusting them. I'm sorry for you lone decent ones, as the majority have besmirched you.

Toxic culture around management and executives. Executive reviews often go off the rails and our leaders get petulant real quick. I rarely see genuine moments of humility. Instead its posturing, ego-trips. Also, and I hate to bring it up, but many of them are quite unhealthy, and its reasonable to question their mental/physical capacity to properly lead some of the brightest minds in the industry. Not the shining exemplars you'd hope were at the helm.

Many of us would prefer Amazon just completely take over.
    If you're still keen on applying, definitely do research into the specific managers you'd be working with. There are some awesome ones, notably from post-acquisition (surprise, surprise).

Advice to Management

"Why am I not surprised?"

"In decline"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good perks
    Amazon stock performs well

Cons

Dysfunctional upper management
    CEO micromanages
    More Amazon influence everyday
    Poor communication
    Poor product vision
    Vesting happens soon

Advice to Management

If you are going to hire exec talent they need to perform immediately and not disrupt the culture.

"The great company that fell apart as it scaled"

Former Employee - Leadership in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Leadership in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Nice office and even nicer one coming
    - Standard perks and solid Amazon benefits
    - Amazon stock still solid
    - Gaming, gaming, gaming

Cons

- Fairly dysfunctional at the top
    - Leadership doesn't really care about the people, they're too desperate to make something happen
    - Ticking clock before Amazon makes major changes
    - Lack of transparency
    - Pretty lax work environment, most engineers aren't working hard

Advice to Management

Making a ton of exec hires isn't confidence inspiring, is it to pacify Amazon? Get back to asking people to actually work hard. Too much resting and vesting going on, no one really cares anymore. You have to either clean those folks out, or give them a kick in the butt to motivate them.

"Great company to work for!"

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture, perks, and working with inspired and passionate people. I get to work with some of the most talented people I've ever met who truly care about what they do. Also, I get to play arcade games during my breaks. Can't beat it...

Cons

We're in a unique position and experiencing some growing pains. It's natural as you mature as a company. While I don't really feel it because of my team's dynamic, there has been a morale dip as of late. I anticipate this will subside soon.

9. "Love this place!"

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

Smart and committed people. Great perks and a super fun workplace. I like the weekly all-hands and the management's commitment to answering employee questions straight on. People are passionate and challenge each other to stick to our values. It is the best feeling to work for a company that's products are so awesome.

Cons

Twitch still needs to think global. We are still about SF. The culture needs to spread to all work locations, not just HQ. The executive team needs to delegate and enable teams to produce.

Advice to Management

Trust teams to deliver and manage those who don't.

"Morale is low"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twitch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are some really good smart people at twitch. Some of the best people I've met in my life. Both genuinely caring and good at their jobs. There are fun and interesting problems that need to be solved.

Cons

At some point people just stopped caring about the product, stopped caring about stability. Morale started to suffer, the vision of where to go became unclear. Politics took over, infighting between teams became too much.

We are either to integrated with Amazon, or not integrated enough. This half and half state is killing the company slowly. We don't have the management or TPM structure to deal with interacting with Amazon. At the same time we don't have the internal tooling teams or structure to not integrate deep into amazon.

We either need to massively beef up the TPM structure and start adopting Amazon's internal tools and systems. If we don't want to do that then we need to massively increase the size of the devtools and systems teams to better support the company.

Advice to Management

Figure out the morale problem. Integrate with Amazon. Address the FUD about Amazon, it is the elephant in the room.