Twitch Reviews | Glassdoor

Twitch Reviews

Updated February 12, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great perks, nothing to complain about (in 15 reviews)

• Great perks: massage, free food, gym subsidy, etc (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • We're in a unique position and experiencing some growing pains (in 9 reviews)

• The work/life balance is sometimes non-existent (in 5 reviews)

"Harsh Work environment"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They give you food lunch is included.

Cons

The management doesn’t care about the employees except to line their own pockets.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to the employees.

"Management focuses on results instead of building a great company"

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The core product is awesome and the Twitch community loves us for what we do. It feels great to enable thousands to make a living while doing what they love. While the company culture has dissipated over the years, it is still generally a fun place to work, and most people who work there are passionate and cool. Vacation policy is lax, benefits are great (although relatively standard for a SF tech company). If you love video games and nerd culture you'll probably enjoy working here.

Cons

We hire new product managers all the time, yet lack a unified product vision. Even with our small army of product managers, it seems as though our CEO and one or two close to him make almost all major product decision. Products commonly launch feature-bare, often lacking some of the most basic functionality you'd expect. This is a result of extreme pressure from management to launch as many features as fast as possible in hopes that it might improve minutes watched. We launch too many bad products because of this.

We lack a strong culture. There is no true north to set our gaze upon. No lofty ambition to help people express themselves and build community with our platform. As far as I can tell, Twitch's sole purpose is to grow minutes watched, by likely impossible (or at best unrealistic) margins month over month, year over year. That's not sexy or exciting or inspiring or making the world a better place. This extreme focus on metrics has caused us to make decisions that don't benefit our users.

Career development is a struggle for most. Twitch is more ready to hire directors and VPs from outside rather than promote those with institutional knowledge from within. I can't tell you the number of times I've been asked to submit a proposal ("OP1") for where I'd like my team to grow, what roles I'd like to hire for, and what we'd like to accomplish in the next year, only to never even see a shred of meaningful feedback. The next year, you're asked to submit another OP1 with 0 retrospection as to the previous year's lack of movement. This has happened not just once or twice, and has left me feeling as though I've stagnated in my personal career, and failed my direct reports as a manager.

Inter-departmental communication is poor. Very few teams (outside of science) share updates, leaving little opportunity for feedback, collaboration, analysis of successes/failures, or simply patting eachother on the back for work well done. Even though I've been at the company for many years, I still don't believe I have the avenues to pitch new initiatives or give feedback on others. Even worse, on more than one occasion I've had to deal with newly hired product managers or business unit owners making substantial changes to products and areas my team owns, without my consent or even advanced notice. How does this happen you ask? Because of mandates from upper management pushing a product or idea because they think it will drive minutes. Recurring theme here.

Advice to Management

Management is too far in the weeds. Upper management needs to focus on the health and happiness of our org, and on establishing clear culture and direction, not on the minutia of a product launch or closing another deal in order to incrementally grow our business metrics. Actually, we need more C and SVP+ level staff to look after their orgs in general. The urgency to drive results has seemingly superseded building a better company to better serve our community.

"Going bad quickly"

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

Twitch is well respected in the gaming and tech community. Those that have stayed post acquisition, they have benefited from the rising Amazon stock. Moreover, the office is in the heart of the city, offers free catered food, and best of all, a free massage once a month though they are cutting it.

Cons

Notice all the 5's and most of them were from a few years ago with more recent reviews being in the 1-3 star area. This is because while things were great prior to the acquisition and shortly there afterwards, things have gotten bad very quickly here. Morale is very low. Despite an email to all employees (in which the f word was used) to address critical feedback on communication, career development, culture as well as a session on vision, the core remains unresolved and rotten. Mostly, as the company just chases metrics to please the Amazon overloads, Twitch does not provide employee with sufficient tools to do their job (and not just laptops and cables but core internal tools to manage the site), and moreover often reorganizes them every 2-3 months. Most of the time it comes from new outside hires just a level below the executive level, many of which are not vetted for their management or leadership skills or interviewed by those that will be directly impacted. New Business Leaders are being hired left and right, and some of them just step on other teams or have unhappy teams in less than a month. Others of them are poor managers and worse off, have fired or pushed out their direct reports for things they should have been responsible for while they get promoted. While these new business leaders come in, there have not been many instances for existing employees to be promoted beyond a L5 to L6, let alone a L6 to L7 and often they just get reorged under these business leaders. Finally, while half the time the company behaves like Twitch Chat, the other half of the time it is scrambling with poor data infrastructure and reporting support to complete weekly, monthly, annual reports, leaving little time to take care of customers or do work.

Advice to Management

Thing went badly quickly

"Very poor leadership, good people on the ground in some orgs"

I worked at Twitch full-time

Pros

Great perks, passionate and game-loving coworkers, great community of creators and viewers

Cons

Lack of mature leadership, no direction, chasing metrics at all costs, volatility and churn from frantic changing of directions to chase metrics. We state that we are building for the user, but CEO makes product decisions based on his own wants and impulses rather than user needs. Needs a changing of the guard if not a new executive team.

Advice to Management

Learn to let go. You will never succeed micromanaging and not empowering your employees to do what you hired them to do. If you don't trust them, fire them. If as the CEO you don't trust your own executives, you know what to do. Else you should relinquish the helm and let someone else more experienced take over before you destroy a company with so much potential.

"Company with great ambitions, but no product vision"

I worked at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great coworkers on most engineering teams
    -Great name recognition. Hearing from creators is always uplifting.

Cons

-No product vision whatsoever. Teams just build whatever Emmett says to build that week, before abandoning it once he forgets he said he wanted it. Emmett has the classic new CEO quirk of being easily swayed by the last enthusiastic person who speaks to him, so most product decisions depend entirely on how much he likes the person pitching it.
    -No clear communication of successes or failures. If a chart doesn't go up and to the right, no one talks about it. There is never anything to learn from failure.
    -Product reviews often involve Emmett literally screaming at employees. No joke.
    -The Seattle teams are all Amazon. It's a bit spooky to see the mothership starting to take over internal Twitch teams.
    -Our People/HR team is wholly incompetent. Not sure if this is because they don't know how to do their jobs, or if they're just a mouthpiece for Amazon HR. Either way, they're under serving Twitch to the extreme. This is most evident in the absolute lack of career development or planning. No one knows how to get to the next level. We actually skipped a review cycle for no apparent reason while they sat on their hands, so there's even less clarity on promotion/firing.

Advice to Management

Emmett, focus on building a company. You're never going to be able to mobilize against FB and Youtube if no one at the company trusts or respects your product decisions.

"Started 5 Months Ago, Already Jumping Ship"

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

The office is pretty nice, even if we've outgrown it

Cons

- CEO and Exec Team are not capable of taking Twitch to the next level. Major shake-ups are needed.

- Many employees are floating without contributing anything to their teams, putting an unfair burden on others. Pre-acquisition employees are deemed "untouchable."

- Unfriendly work atmosphere. Don't expect to make any friends here.

- Products are designed to make more money from existing users instead of making the platform more accessible new users, hence the slow growth.

- Way too many Product Managers and not enough "do-ers." Projects move slowly and rarely meet their goals.

- Culture of public shaming via Slack.

- Nothing has been done to address the declining morale, productivity, or Glassdoor review scores. If Twitch doesn't care, why should I? I'm out.

"Fun Company Culture, Poor Development Culture"

I worked at Twitch full-time

Pros

Free food, good comp (for new employees), and a fun product. Good opportunity for junior employees to get hands-on experience with AWS.

Cons

The two main issues were the distributed development environment and inexperienced leadership. The leadership did not set clear goals for teams, which resulted in a lack of coordination across different verticals. The distributed approach to development without clear goals caused issues with quality control, thrashing, and improper team scaling. It also meant a lack of central tooling, where multiple teams were recreating solutions for the same problems.

On the management side, the senior leadership did not communicate well, had trouble delegating, and did not provide cover for employees. The main way that exec communicated with the company was through all-hands meetings, which means that things are not written down and on the record. Some of the exec team also gets too involved in details rather than delegating tasks to their teams, even though there's been a focus on being in more experienced managers. There were also cases where employees got burned by the CEO and their managers did not provide cover.

Advice to Management

Provide more written communication to employees and loop in more of the company when decisions have been made. Delegate tasks rather than getting lost in the weeds. Own up to your employee's mistakes.Promote from within rather than bringing in external candidates with similar amounts of experience at a higher level.

Twitch Response

Sep 15, 2017 – Recruiting Manager

Thanks for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We strive to find the best qualified candidates for every open position externally and internally. We have a new internal transfer process... More

"Desperately in need of experienced senior management"

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really fun culture where it's easy to find like-minded friends and colleagues if you have geeky or nerdy interests

Great office spaces and location; good (but slowly declining) food and beverage perks; solid insurance

Cons

Executive team consistently makes bad calls on product, and does not let IC employees do their jobs. Product Managers design almost exclusively around the pet ideas of our CEO, rather than our users, and this is highly encouraged by our executive team. ("Emmett said we had to build X.") Executives who have continually made big bets that have failed miserably are rewarded with larger teams and more power and influence.

We very badly need to hire more experienced executives that aren't afraid to get their hands dirty. This includes an honest evaluation of the skills and effectiveness of our current senior management. I understand those currently in power were in the trenches together building the company, and that they have a history, but turning a blind eye to the inefficiencies, skill gaps, and performance management problems that are rampant throughout the company is hurting everyone. In some instances, the roles have grown beyond the skills of those who hold them. Acknowledging this and gracefully addressing these issues would be a much better outcome than hoping that senior leadership can slowly gain the needed skills through trial and error or osmosis.

The next two quarters may be riddled with departures if more aggressive measures aren't taken to address our lack of autonomy and product direction.

Promotions are almost non-existent and "pay increases" consist of hoping and praying that AMZN stock increases in value.

Advice to Management

Do the painful but necessary thing of bringing in more experienced leadership, even if that means that some of the old-timers lose some of their power and influence. Competitors are closing in and we can't afford to keep spinning our wheels on poorly executed ideas that are not helping us grow and expand our position as the market leader.

"Zero leadership, whole company in dumpster fire, stay away"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, while they still last, like massages and snacks
    are pretty good
    Some good people are still around
    Compensation being tied to amazon stock
    Kudos to recruiting/hr for posting 5 star reviews on a regular basis to keep the Glassdoor rating afloat

Cons

Twitch used to be a great company to work at. Too bad the CEO and the executive team has turned a great company into a dumpster fire.

There is no long term vision for twitch. The executive team just care about hitting their numbers, on this meaningless metric called "minutes watched" that doesn't actually mean anything, can be be easily gamed, and doesn't drive value. They're so desperate to hit their goals that they've resorted to shady accounting of minutes. Every single month half of the company gets sucked into these mbrs and wbrs, and while they're good concepts, the goal for these at twitch isn't to actually report what happened, but to write a narrative that changes every single month to pretend we are actually doing great while in reality most things are terrible. This way amazon can be confused while the execs inch their way another month closer to their next vest.

Zero product vision. Micro-managing CEO. Zero long term thinking or strategy. PMs can't establish their own vision for products, instead they become mere puppets for the CEO, who is far too deep into the weeds. Wish he would give the PMs the freedom to decide the color of a button and instead focusing on actual important things. Incompetent executive team (70% should be fired given the performance of their orgs). Ineffective communication due to the changing requests every week/month. Good people leaving left and right. How this company is still being run this way for this long is beyond me, but I expect significant changes soon.

Advice to Management

If you can't do the job, let someone else do it, rather than ruining the lives of everyone around you and the whole company. If all of the products coming out of your org is a complete failure, you should be fired, not own more stuff because of some kindergarten friendship. If you are terrible at hiring and leading people, you probably shouldn't be a VP of anything. If you keep having to fire people in your org, including those you hired yourself, because of one issue or another, maybe you are part of the problem. If you don't have a company strategy, why is there even a chief strategy officer?

There are plenty of people who are both experienced and willing to step up to steer the ship in the right direction. Do us all a favor and get out of the way. I'm sure you've already conned enough money from amazon to not have to work.

"Problems stem from the CEO"

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

Better perks than Amazon. Pretty chill.

Cons

Lack of vision and cohesive product strategy. CEO micromanages all of the product lines.

Advice to Management

Give teams more room to set their own strategy. Learn how to manage people without belittling them.