Twitch Reviews | Glassdoor

Twitch Reviews

Updated August 14, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The perks are great, you can't really ask for more (in 6 reviews)

• Hard working environment, but there is work/life balance, if you want to work out middle of day, fine, just get your job done (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is going through some growing pains, but overall they have been relatively smooth (in 7 reviews)

• Upper management has lost control of the company; people say and do whatever they want (in 4 reviews)

"The perfect work atmosphere"

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

Friendly environment where employees are encouraged and incentivized to look after each others' well-being, cultural and community fit is a must to ensure everyone gets along in and outside the office, perks show company cares about employees' health and well-being

Cons

Elevators at the office don't work well, temperature fluctuates in the office, many snacks in the kitchen are more tempting than healthy

Advice to Management

Growth is great, high number of new hires boosts morale and reassures employees that work will be distributed more evenly across more hands

"Bleed Purple"

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

Great, friendly environment full of hardworking gamers

Cons

work life balance can be challenging

"Excellent place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

At Twitch, we have:
    Great Team
    Flexible Employer
    Scientific Approach
    Gaming Focus
    Fun and Welcoming Atmosphere

So if you want to work on challenging problems with smart people in one of the fastest growing new entertainment industries, if you like helping to shape the future, work in an environment that accepts and appreciates self starters, and be part of something truly different and magical, you should join Twitch!

Cons

As a company still in the transition between startup to a large stable company, you will have to go beyond any job title you have to get initiatives and goals accomplished. It requires flexibility and a willingness to work hard which may not appeal to someone who wants a job fully mapped out duties with completely defined roles that requires little thought.

Advice to Management

Ensure that the Twitch culture keeps to its core as we grow the team. So far, you have done a good job and I believe it will continue but it is worth being vigilant about.

"Lots of growth"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- lots of smart people
    - lots of opportunities for growth
    - strong engineering culture
    - great for gamers, still great even if you're not

Cons

- inexperienced upper management
    - inexperienced product management
    - lots of changes in direction
    - uncertainty as to how to grow the origanization

Advice to Management

try bringing in more experienced senior engineering management to help the organization learn to grow to the size needed to grow to complete product goals

"Super Fun and Challenging"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

If you deliver at Twitch, you'll reap the benefits - increased responsibility, the best projects, high visibility along with the perks of great food/coffee/location etc. Also, it's in a hyper growth industry which makes getting business done a lot easier. The people are really nice too and really busy!

Cons

It's intense and super fast paced - which some people might not like/can't handle.

Advice to Management

Communicate to each other more often

6. "Growing pains"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic growth potential, great people, wonderful challenges.

Cons

Growing too fast for management to keep up, some interesting choices.

Advice to Management

Pay very close attention as the company grows this quickly. Without direct influence, it can grow out of your control

"Amazing Place to Work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The perks are great, but they aren't the reason you want to work at Twitch. The career opportunities here are incredible. For the massive scale at which we operate, we're still a relatively small company, and as such the ratio of employee to customer impact is extremely high. Everything you do feels like it matters and has a direct impact on the business.

I've never had a day where I didn't want to come in to work. I get build a great product that I love using, with intelligent and fun coworkers, and in a very encouraging environment.

Cons

No company is perfect and Twitch is no exception. While I believe the pros far outweigh the cons, the larger we get, the more challenges we will face. There is currently some confusion with the new organizational structure, but I'm confident that we'll adjust and get it right.

Advice to Management

The rapid growth phase that we're currently in may be the most challenging period we will ever face. Make sure that we continue to hire the right people that we'll want to still be working with five years from now.

"Typical Growing Pains"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Benefits, Perks, People, Office Space, Location, Product, Financial Backing of Amazon.com

Cons

Growing really fast and adding a ton of headcount ever week. The office is starting to get crowded. Our desire is to launch a ton of new initiatives in 2016, but many of them are falling significantly behind schedule. Mgmt seems to have bitten off more than it can chew. Rumors of slower growth, but I think we are still #1 in our industry.

"Real Life Twitch Chat"

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

- Gamer's haven with pc and console rooms, arcade, and live esports viewing
    - Food, perks/benefits, time off

Cons

Twitch as a company largely reflects its online culture: gamers with egos larger than their talent creating a disorganized workspace where the louder your scream the more you get noticed. Quite literally, the internal chat could be a snapshot of Twitch chat.

If you like to game, argue, and fight, you'll love it here. Upper management has lost control of the company; people say and do whatever they want. Imagine an environment where directors/VPs set the precedent of yelling, screaming, and throwing fits over a game. Imagine an environment where angry gamers never learned to behave; that's Twitch. If you want a professional environment to develop and grow, you're better off looking somewhere else.

Advice to Management

Focus on keeping a positive company culture and emphasize respect. We're all on the same side; no need to be as toxic as Twitch chat.

Twitch Response

Feb 8, 2016

Would love a chance to chat further with you and find out more about your specific area. Totally open to chatting completely off the record and confidentially. If you're a current employee, you... More

"Company growing quickly"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Free food
    - Great Perks
    - Lots of passion for the product itself
    - Lots of teams and chances to move internally
    - They seem to really care what employees think about various things

Cons

Twitch is growing quickly and is facing the typical strains that come with that:

- Leadership gaps
    - Confusion at times on approach
    - Office getting crowded

Advice to Management

Grow at a reasonable rate to what you want to accomplish. Don't just hire to "get more people", hire to accurately staff for the projects you want.

Do what's best for the company, not try to make the tenured employees happy.

Accept that the people who got you here, may not be the people who get you to the next stage