Twitch Reviews | Glassdoor

Twitch Reviews

Updated April 17, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The perks are great; free food, snacks, bar (in 15 reviews)

• Free food great people nice place (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • We're in a unique position and experiencing some growing pains (in 10 reviews)

• Because of mandates from upper management pushing a product or idea because they think it will drive minutes (in 8 reviews)

"Things Happen"

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Twitch has a very good culture. In specific, it is very nice that I am able to play video games during work hours.

Cons

I do not feel very connected to my team mates. We do not spend a lot of time with each other during work or not during work, so that makes sense. I spend a lot of time with my computer though, we are pretty close.

Advice to Management

I think that overall twitch is a great place to work at and I don't really have any complaints for the management.

"Great community, mediocre product, terrible work environment"

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

- Company culture is relaxed and fun
    - Amazing community and users, which helps drive a lot of motivation
    - Employees care about the product
    - Competitive pay (non-engineering)
    - Flexible work schedule
    - Perks (food, drink, etc) and unlimited vacation (based on manager approval)

Cons

- Poor exec communication
    - Career growth and opportunities are entirely based on the political status of your org, not how hard you work
    - Company strategy seems to always change or is unclear, leading to confusion for middle management and their teams on how they can contribute to the company's goals
    - Unqualified executives/leaders leading teams and pushing for numbers instead of what's right for the company, employees and customers
    - Track record of pushing new products but never following through to completion. Some examples include selling games, developer tools and VOD features.

Advice to Management

The company needs a CTO, a true technological leader than can help us scale while providing strong engineering direction.

Hire a head of product. Have that person make all of the final decisions for features that roll out to the customers (broadcasters, viewers, developers). Also, please stop having open microphone product review meetings. They are never productive.

Define the role of the CEO and get the exec team to agree. Emmett is the CTO, CPO and CIO. In his defense, it’s in lieu of strong executive / upper management and qualified individuals. Level up the exec team by bringing in new talent. Stop trying to elevate current talent because they were here first. Challenge them to improve or find a better fit.

Be more critical of leaders who don’t produce results, especially the execs and VPs.

Hire a head of B2B strategy. This person should define how the company works with business partners, which includes gaming and media companies. Also, stop experimenting with business partners. Businesses and game developers are starting to take notice and you're burning a lot of industry capital.

Have the exec team spend more time with employees to get to know them, challenge/teach them and brainstorm. This helps build morale and breaks down fences.

"Disorganized, disheartening, directionless"

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Catered breakfast 3x a week, lunch 5x a week, dinner 5x a week

- Fully stocked snacks and drinks

- Monthly massages

- People (at least IC-level people. Not including recruiting or HR -- whole other story) seem genuine and do try to make products successful

- Flexible work schedule

Cons

- PMs are poor in vision and have zero understanding of metrics (mainly Communities, Pulse, VODcast, etc). They are all extremely inexperienced and are trying to manage large, impactful products. Feel like they're being set up for failure without any guiding central leadership or principles. Weirdly, the solution seems to be to throw more PMs at an issue.

- Exec team feels completely misaligned. Everyone works in their own silo and if something goes wrong, there's a lot of finger pointing and "it was his/her stupid idea". It makes people question whether or not they even know what they're doing, but this problem is also attributed to having...

- ...a straight up terrible Chief of Staff/program director (?) who the majority of the company has no idea what she does. The way people talk about her is truly laughable (especially during review and OP1 seasons), and she's supposedly Emmett's right hand. Things include "just do what she asks" regardless of how ridiculous it is because she gets so unnecessarily belligerent. Get someone in place who can actually assist in running a tight ship and be a good mentor, and who is less concerned about appearances.

- HR is cliquey and straight up gossips about personal, confidential employee information. At least try to be discreet about it.

- Management has no idea how to grow their employees within the company given that we have to follow Amazon guidelines that are incompatible with Twitch. There doesn't seem to be any move to adapt promotion guidelines to our needs.

Advice to Management

A lot of these problems stem from the nightmare that is the exec team. I have no idea how you'd go about fixing it... best of luck before you lose more talented individuals.

"Bad entry/mid level managers and Amazon culture"

Pros

- Above average package
    - Good management for some organizations and teams
    - Some good culture in gaming
    - Fine benifits

Cons

- micromanagement
    - bad entry and mid level managers for teams
    - less exciting projects
    - low spirits
    - culture goes much like Amazon but not twitch anymore
    - lots of politics going on

Advice to Management

Less micromanagement and hire good entry and mid level managers

"No career growth"

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

I've only gotten food poisoning twice.

The morale is low. You don't have any peer pressure to work hard.

Cons

In the all hands last week they tried to address the career growth issue and showed us the statistics. In the past 2 years only about 5% of the employees were promoted per year, which means the expected time for a Twitch employee to be promoted is about 20 years.

If you are joining at Level 4 right after graduation when you are 22, expect to be promoted to Level 5 when you are about 42 years old. If you would be satisfied with your offered position for 20 years, come join Twitch.

Advice to Management

Learn basic math.

"Total shitshow - stay far away"

I worked at Twitch full-time

Pros

Free food
    Flexible work schedules
    Free messages at work

Cons

Twitch is basically dead; if not, taking its last breaths as it drowns painfully in its own mess. The place is a clownshow. Incremental to incompetent management who can't align on a singular goal, they've onboarded a whole bunch of so called "high profile hires", big names from big name places, who surprisingly, have never used twitch a day in their lives. Twitch used to only hire people who were fanatic about Twitch and were passionate about growing the community; now, there' s a bunch of people who to this day don't use the product; how do you build a product if you've never used it a day in your life??

Management is either incompetent or too tired to give a crap. To be fair, many of the old guards have done a tremendous job building the wonderful community that is Twitch, and they deserve to cash out on their vest and enjoy a long-deserved break, and my hats off to them. However, please don't blend retirement with work. I get that you don't want to rock the boat so you can wait one more year for your 4 year vest, and then you can leave rich and happy. But godammit, how can you sit idle watching something you spent years building being destroyed by people who have no idea wtf they're doing?

Last, Twitch culture is dead; incremental to the lack of Twitch spirit in the office, the new managers have all been amazonianfied. They care about you sitting at your desk even if you're not doing anything, they ask for tasks in unreasonable deadlines, and they throw you under the bus when their incompetence screws things up even further. Now, all your passionate employees have left or are leaving, the remaining backbone that is your community is decaying because you are killing it. It's honestly really sad to see something that was once so beautiful turn into something so ugly.

Last, about the future outlook about the company; there is no future outlook. Company is dead.

Advice to Management

Think back to the days when you were still a 50 employees company.
    Recruit people who are actually part of the community and can understand the community

"In decline"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good perks
    Amazon stock performs well

Cons

Dysfunctional upper management
    CEO micromanages
    More Amazon influence everyday
    Poor communication
    Poor product vision
    Vesting happens soon

Advice to Management

If you are going to hire exec talent they need to perform immediately and not disrupt the culture.

"Long Road, Solid Foundation"

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

Lots of motivated and caring employees, trying to do what's right for streamers and the company.

Cons

Lack of focus combined with explosive employee growth has led to discontent, low morale, and reduced growth.

Advice to Management

Focus on impact and strong leadership. Don't lose track of your customer.

"The great company that fell apart as it scaled"

Former Employee - Leadership in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Leadership in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Nice office and even nicer one coming
    - Standard perks and solid Amazon benefits
    - Amazon stock still solid
    - Gaming, gaming, gaming

Cons

- Fairly dysfunctional at the top
    - Leadership doesn't really care about the people, they're too desperate to make something happen
    - Ticking clock before Amazon makes major changes
    - Lack of transparency
    - Pretty lax work environment, most engineers aren't working hard

Advice to Management

Making a ton of exec hires isn't confidence inspiring, is it to pacify Amazon? Get back to asking people to actually work hard. Too much resting and vesting going on, no one really cares anymore. You have to either clean those folks out, or give them a kick in the butt to motivate them.

"Ship good work then get out"

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

What's great is you will definitely deliver impactful work with brilliant coworkers. Perks are decent (though should be judged as part of the compensation package), you get to watch Twitch all day and be ground-zero at the one of the newest, coolest movements out there.

Cons

If you want to progress your career or learn from experienced mentors, look elsewhere. History has shown that Twitch is FAR more likely to promote from outside than from within. It's disheartening and we continue to lose brilliant, good-hearted people as a result. They are the smart ones that took control of their environments by leaving.

Depending on how stagnant your manager is, prepare to have little to no mind paid to your professional development. Engineering more or less follows Amazon's leveling structure, but with more hurdles. Anecdotally most non-engineers don't have formal leveling guidelines/expectations.

The HR department has been the worst of my career. When pressed, we're fed empty promises with a smirk. Virtually the entire HR team quit/was fired recently, and I'm wary of the ones that remain. Most do not feel comfortable working with them, let alone trusting them. I'm sorry for you lone decent ones, as the majority have besmirched you.

Toxic culture around management and executives. Executive reviews often go off the rails and our leaders get petulant real quick. I rarely see genuine moments of humility. Instead its posturing, ego-trips. Also, and I hate to bring it up, but many of them are quite unhealthy, and its reasonable to question their mental/physical capacity to properly lead some of the brightest minds in the industry. Not the shining exemplars you'd hope were at the helm.

Many of us would prefer Amazon just completely take over.
    If you're still keen on applying, definitely do research into the specific managers you'd be working with. There are some awesome ones, notably from post-acquisition (surprise, surprise).

Advice to Management

"Why am I not surprised?"