Twitch Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Software Engineer

2.6
Emmett Shear

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The perks are great, you can't really ask for more (in 6 reviews)

• Hard working environment, but there is work/life balance, if you want to work out middle of day, fine, just get your job done (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is going through some growing pains, but overall they have been relatively smooth (in 7 reviews)

• Upper management has lost control of the company; people say and do whatever they want (in 4 reviews)

"Great company to work for"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people you work with

Cons

The hours were long but they do take care f you

Advice to Management

Keep hiring the people you do

May 8, 2017

Thanks for the review! - Arthur Yamamoto/ Director of Recruiting

"Twitch used to be a great place to work, don't expect that for much longer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great food perks, though these have slowly been dwindling for each passing week
    - Smart people, there are a handful of bright individuals that help you learn
    - Strong brand, great loving community
    - Flexible work schedule

Cons

- Misguided CEO that tries to take on too many rolls (We have no CTO, CPO, or arguably CEO)
    - Constant reorgs without clear alignment and direction
    - Inadequate management, while there are a handful of good managers at Twitch, an overwhelming majority are poor (first time managers, usbpar engineers)
    - Toxic culture, there are adversarial relationships rampant at the company and the product reflects this division
    - Compensation and vesting schedule is below market
    - Morale has been slowly taking a dip

Advice to Management

Replace ineffective leaders with the right people. Align priorities across all organizations and teams.

"Company going sour"

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free food and drinks
    Gaming room
    Good work equipment

Cons

Culture has changed with the growth of the company. Twitch was once a very positive placed, which is turning sour. Very cliquey culture and far too many people are now very negative default to say no to everything.
    Career growth opportunities are a joke.
    Companies small and large are eating Twitch's lunch. Discord, Youtube, Facebook.
    Surprisingly large amount of people work at Twitch who do not use Twitch. RIP customer focus.

Advice to Management

Growth is needed but hire the right people. Be wary of the large groups just large for the sake of being large.

"Looking back at almost 2 years at Twitch"

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay if you join now. Typical benefits of startups

Cons

A year ago, I left a negative review hoping that Twitch would move in a positive direction.

While I agree with many opinions here that an Amazon takeover is imminent, I would argue that an Amazon takeover is the only way Twitch will survive into the coming years.

Twitch execs have proved that they are unable or unwilling to steer the company in the right direction. They lack the means or ability or authority to unify Twitch under one vision and direction. The countless failed features, products, and expansions are indicative of the total dysfunction, particularly in engineering, of Twitch. We still operate in a shout loudest get attention environment, we still cannot coordinate, we still cannot come to an agreement on any sort of standard or baseline. We cannot even properly hold a new hire Eng edu class because nobody can agree on what to teach or how to properly do things.

As a side note, it's absolutely unacceptable that a director chooses to walk around the office with no shoes or socks. Or run up and down the hall like a giggling child.

On compensation, it's insane the salary disparity here. Basically anyone hired roughly the year since the acquisition is woefully underpaid. It's an uphill battle to try to promote or even increase salary. Yet, new and unproven employees are given ludicrous salaries and hiring managers are basically told, "it's just a number".

I welcome Amazon. While it'd be great to keep Twitch culture alive, I'd rather be unhappy but functional than unhappy AND dysfunctional. More to the point, Twitch culture is just a formality now - a way to trick star struck people to join the company. It's already gone, might as well move on and at least try make Twitch functional.

Advice to Management

We are in desperate need of a CTO. We need a CEO that understands hwo to run a company not a startup CEO.

Mar 6, 2017

Appreciate the feedback. I sincerely encourage you to talk further with our VP of HR or myself. I will absolutely make sure your feedback is relayed to the exec team. I hope to chat with you... More

5. "Fun, friendly place to work"

Current Contractor - Software Engineering Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Current Contractor - Software Engineering Intern in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly work environment where engineers on my team genuinely cared about my personal and professional growth. Individuals were willing and eager to help, impactful work on my team, great perks and food

Cons

Sometimes conflicting interests across teams are resolved poorly. Communication is lacking and can sometimes lead to individuals just pointing fingers and not taking ownership of certain parts of projects

Advice to Management

Encourage better communication across teams for your engineers

"Sadly slowing down"

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

Great product, inspiring engineers, hard challenges to solve and a breathtaking office in central San Francisco.

Cons

Managers. The current way of solving issues is hiring more managers up until the point where nothing moves anywhere.

Advice to Management

Make the company move fast again before someone else overtakes the market position.

Aug 9, 2016

Appreciate the feedback. if you're ever interested, would love to chat directly about your manager concerns. I don't think we're just hiring "managers", I believe the rate at which we've hired... More

"Twitch is passionate about their product!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great perks, great people, exciting work. Twitch is filled with people who really care about the product they're building, and that makes the work all that much more worthwhile. It's great to be part of a company that is transition from startup to a larger company; Amazon provides Twitch with support, but Twitch still retains the culture that made it unique in the first place.

Cons

The company is going through some growing pains, but overall they have been relatively smooth. From an engineering standpoint, the biggest hurdle is digging through legacy code that nobody seems to know about, since all of the people that wrote said code are now in management roles or left the company after the acquisition.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing; it's working. Listen to employee advice to improve the workplace, and it'll get even better!

Apr 20, 2016

Great to hear and thanks for the feedback. - Arthur Yamamoto / Director of Recruiting

"Lots of growth"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- lots of smart people
    - lots of opportunities for growth
    - strong engineering culture
    - great for gamers, still great even if you're not

Cons

- inexperienced upper management
    - inexperienced product management
    - lots of changes in direction
    - uncertainty as to how to grow the origanization

Advice to Management

try bringing in more experienced senior engineering management to help the organization learn to grow to the size needed to grow to complete product goals

"Amazing Place to Work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The perks are great, but they aren't the reason you want to work at Twitch. The career opportunities here are incredible. For the massive scale at which we operate, we're still a relatively small company, and as such the ratio of employee to customer impact is extremely high. Everything you do feels like it matters and has a direct impact on the business.

I've never had a day where I didn't want to come in to work. I get build a great product that I love using, with intelligent and fun coworkers, and in a very encouraging environment.

Cons

No company is perfect and Twitch is no exception. While I believe the pros far outweigh the cons, the larger we get, the more challenges we will face. There is currently some confusion with the new organizational structure, but I'm confident that we'll adjust and get it right.

Advice to Management

The rapid growth phase that we're currently in may be the most challenging period we will ever face. Make sure that we continue to hire the right people that we'll want to still be working with five years from now.

"Real Life Twitch Chat"

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

- Gamer's haven with pc and console rooms, arcade, and live esports viewing
    - Food, perks/benefits, time off

Cons

Twitch as a company largely reflects its online culture: gamers with egos larger than their talent creating a disorganized workspace where the louder your scream the more you get noticed. Quite literally, the internal chat could be a snapshot of Twitch chat.

If you like to game, argue, and fight, you'll love it here. Upper management has lost control of the company; people say and do whatever they want. Imagine an environment where directors/VPs set the precedent of yelling, screaming, and throwing fits over a game. Imagine an environment where angry gamers never learned to behave; that's Twitch. If you want a professional environment to develop and grow, you're better off looking somewhere else.

Advice to Management

Focus on keeping a positive company culture and emphasize respect. We're all on the same side; no need to be as toxic as Twitch chat.

Feb 8, 2016

Would love a chance to chat further with you and find out more about your specific area. Totally open to chatting completely off the record and confidentially. If you're a current employee, you... More