Twitch Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Twitch Software Engineer Reviews

Updated Aug 5, 2019

3.5
Twitch CEO Emmett Shear (no image)
Emmett Shear

"They're doing something right."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Business is doing great, employees are treated well, leadership is honest and humble. Engineers are given latitude to solve problems however they need to. The best people I've ever worked with are on my team right now. Twitch is doing something right to crush it this hard.

Cons

Some teams pushing hard for broader adoption of Amazon tools and technology, seems to be half the company all-in on Amazon and half very skeptical. So far it hasn't gotten in the way, but I work in an org that wouldn't be affected since Amazon isn't doing what we are.

Advice to Management

Whatever you're doing is working, keep doing it.

Twitch2018-12-05

"Steer clear"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer

I worked at Twitch full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits align with other companies. "Hip" platform

Cons

Disorganized and chaotic. Leadership of any level will randomly kill projects. - 3 different ones in < 3 months - decisions are often opaque - roadmap got changed or even scrapped a few times without warning No clear plans or processes to rely on, - when asking for clarification, get different opinions but no clear answers, usually. If things fail, because there was no detailed plan, the ICs get... blamed. Twitch has been cutting down on benefits to save costs. Failing business (popular, but losing money) Unable to keep up with innovation Tech is of low standard in parts and doesn't get properly vetted. - not enough testing, no clear processes on testing Lots of political infighting between teams, personal vendettas. 2-classes environment Leaders will be proud of "diversity" even when the team is all white males from NA. o.0 Often open hate on anything Amazon or other companies, leads to often recreating the wheel, even when a better solution is available in the same or owning company. (Not-Invented-Here) Arrogance. "be happy you are working at Twitch", "good that you are now here, at the better place" - very entitled, often argue about how they aren't treated better, how the free lunch isn't good enough, etc. Very slow career improvement

Advice to Management

Hire good managers, create good processes and implement them.

Twitch2019-08-05

"Good, Bad, Ups and Downs. Twitchin’ ain’t eZ."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twitch full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great office space. Smart people. The bacon in the cafeteria is good. The coffee is god-awful. The quality of the platform can be good.

Cons

The culture is fractured. There is no platform scale. The bacon and office space isn’t enough to cancel out the cancers. There are people who portray their work as at-scale. The cracks are opening. A platform level extinction event will occur and it will be lame-scale based. Symptom? Some put themselves (ego) before the good of the company and the whole-Twitch employee community. Failure to cooperate and be humble... (Kings).

Advice to Management

Isolate and marginalize Kings in middle management who bring less to the table. Constant group drama, high team turn over and repeated sub par employee survey results are indicative. Bring back embroidered and high quality hoodies. It was a badge of honor that was literally ripped from our souls. Consider making them award based? For one or two years of service? Not a grab bag item for all. Seemed like the wrong... expense to cut when there are so many other juicy targets that would result in bigger, faster, healthier results.

Twitch2018-12-26

"Product-driven company"

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

I'm giving 5 stars because I do think Twitch is a great place to work. Most of the Glassdoor reviews are polarized, either Twitch rules or Twitch sucks. I'm not sure how helpful that is so here are two observations~ 1. It's a product-driven company. CEO is a former engineer turned product manager. If you work in engineering, UX, or any function that directly contributes to product, you're highly valued. If... you're in partnerships, customer support, marketing, or any other function you'll have a harder time getting things done. 2. Engineering quality varies massively by team. Some managers are running a tight ship and others just let their engineers do whatever they want. Seattle is corporate, Irvine is the army, and San Francisco is wild west. If you're thinking of joining, great, if you like the team you'll be working with Twitch won't let you down.

Cons

Enough said, read the section before.

Twitch2018-08-29

"Software Engineer"

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

- Best Culture of anywhere I've worked at. Our values mean something to everyone. - Control our own hours, work / life balance is pretty good - Management is bold and cares about employee happiness - Some very talented people work here and people love the company.

Cons

- Amazon integration is strange.. "Twitch Prime" is more Amazon than Twitch, so is commerce. They're physically located in Seattle with other Amazon teams and they report to someone who works for Amazon and not Twitch. The rest of the company is 100% Twitch and doesn't resemble Amazon at all. - Some long-time 5+ yr leaders are leaving

Twitch2018-10-03

"Legitimately Satisfied"

Software Engineer

I have been working at Twitch for more than 3 years

Pros

Twitch isn’t perfect, but it really beats any other workplace by a wide margin from top to bottom. We have a founder-CEO who’s taken Twitch from an idea to a startup to an acquisition to a strategic arm of AWS and still sits in our (brand-new) office working alongside everyone in the company. We have strong female presence among upper management (CMO, COO, some VPs). We have managers who are subject matter experts... and actually care for the people under them. I’m excited by the challenges of my job and I feel motivated by the people around me. The company has changed so much in the past 3 years that I barely recognize it, but I’m still impressed by the caliber of my peers.

Cons

Pay just isn’t on par with top tech companies in the area.

Advice to Management

Most of the grumblings I hear about from colleagues are about pay. Please work with Amazon to ensure one of the wealthiest companies on the planet isn’t losing its best people due to frugality.

Twitch2018-08-17

"Starting to Scale"

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

Twitch is really coming into its own. Proper management and HR have provided much-needed stability after years of rapid expansion. Website scales well and technology has matured within AWS. Smart and talented people join the company each week from places like Facebook and Google. There's a bandwagon called e-sports and everybody is jumping on it.

Cons

There's a little divide between "old" Twitch and "new" Twitch. New leaders are much more capable at our current size and scale and that's really upset some of the old leaders. Nothing for anyone coming in the door to worry about but it's an unfortunate by-product of a growing company.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

Twitch2018-09-20

"Solid."

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

Twitch has been consistently a good place to work since I joined. It's not perfect... "cons" list some problems.. but I'd would take this over pretty much all my friend's jobs who also work in tech in SV. - Happy with my pay and benefits - Company is doing well - Amazon mostly leaves us alone - Great new workplace (SF only) - Smart coworkers, if sometimes immature - Freedom todo my job the best way Last... point is pretty important to me. I'm not micromanaged. I understand others may feel differently about their teams and that's valid but it's not been my experience. I can say I've gotten better at my profession since I joined which is as much as I could really ask for.

Cons

Some inexperienced teammates have the best of intentions but wind up slowing you down, creating unnecessary controversy, Slack debates that go nowhere, and so on The sometime road-to-nowhere project that gets dropped on us and then killed can be pretty annoying too.

Advice to Management

Values aren't enough, train managers better. But mostly keep going in the current direction.

Twitch2018-08-27

"Pampered, not Cushy"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've found Twitch to be a supportive, nurturing environment since I joined. But at the same time, I was given a lot of real responsibility and it hasn't exactly been easy street. I've only been here a few months but there's a lot you have you learn to succeed. All the workplace benefits were nice at first but probably taken for granted now.

Cons

I don't get it, but some people complain about having nothing to do. So maybe there are some orgs that just aren't producing.

Advice to Management

Re-assess your portfolio.. move people from dead-end projects onto what matters.

Twitch2018-09-13

"It's not just fun and games."

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

Like so many others, I joined Twitch for Twitch - it's fun, semi-famous people use it, and I love video games, so why not? I've found Twitch is so much more though. It wasn't long before I started to like Twitch for new reasons - intelligent, excited teammates, great technology, and a culture of invention. I've found most people at Twitch to be super helpful and willing to pitch in for one another. I've had several... opportunities to raise my hand and suggest something to build, and see it actually get built. I'm paid enough, benefits are solid, great perks like breakfast lunch and dinner in our new office, and work-life balance is pretty good, at least on my team. No complaints.

Cons

Seems some teams get a lot harder than others around TwitchCon, so that could be a downside I guess.

Twitch2018-08-23