Twitch "decision making" Reviews | Glassdoor

Twitch Employee Reviews about "decision making"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"On the right track."

Current Employee - Level 7 in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Level 7 in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Twitch was in a transition from startup to real business. It now has great perks. Above market pay. Great people. Cutting edge work.

Cons

Some people complain about things like politics. Those are generally inexperienced people who don't understand the business world. Those who complain about the pay need to understand what the market is like. It pays better than the vast majority of companies in the Bay Area.

Advice to Management

Need to continue the transition that our COO has started.

"Not sure if growing pains or dying pains"

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

Twitch has a strong community and managed to grow to a $1B valuation before being bought by Amazon. In the constant criticism of the CEO, this simple fact is forgotten: he did manage to lead the company to where it is now. And if you think that’s an accident, the SF tech scene is littered with companies who have failed to break even a $10M valuation.

The perks are great; free food, snacks, bar. Subsidized gym, commute. Massages. A great welcome gift package that includes a nice set of headphones or earbuds to maximize office productivity. The compensation is above average for the Bay. The support of the Amazon mothership gives a little more job security rather than hoping that the CEO can keep raising capital.

Cons

Until recently, the product direction was a Russian nesting doll of dumb ideas and people, each hidden inside the other. As much as I will sing Emmett’s praises for getting Twitch to the point of sale, he hasn’t been the right fit to take Twitch to a $10B or $100B valuation. Moreover, he is blind to his weaknesses, including micromanagement, public beration, and losing touch with the core product.

That has changed mildly, with the hiring of a couple of experienced leaders, but one (the quasi-CTO) has already left quietly, and there’s no rush to find a Chief Product Officer. Unfortunately, the lack of solid technical or product leadership have become bottlenecks for growth and efficiency throughout the company, and they’ve been directly responsible for attrition.

The technical stack needs help. Some engineers have managed to carve out areas of well-functioning practices, but those aren’t propagating to the rest of the company. The data infrastructure is laughably barebones for a company that literally belongs to AWS. It’s tough to tell if the lack of development there is from leaders who keep getting told “no” to investment, or from leaders who simply never think to ask. Regardless, the “first job out of college” leaders have left a significant mess behind them, and they’re uninterested in cleaning it up.

Amazon has a well-known promotion / bonus problem, which definitely causes losses of our top talent. But the total comp is still better than any other company, so poaching by startups has been relatively minimal. The issues with the interviews I have taken is that I don’t want to deal with a better workplace for a lower salary. So I stay.

Advice to Management

Communicate. You seem to forget that almost no one in the company is privy to your conversations. The decisions and directions you choose in 5-10 person meetings need to be communicated properly, and widely, and repetitively. Find a mission and hammer it into everyone’s head.

Commit. The general consensus, from Glassdoor or Blind, is that people don’t really know what’s going on. And you’re not clarifying. Our metrics, our org, and our priorities seemingly change weekly. Initiatives are promised on a whim and dropped. The Curse acquisition was announced to much fanfare and has been quietly swept under the rug.

Prune. Make some tough, tough, tough decisions about pre-acquisition people. A lot are great. They built the product and care about it. Twitch wouldn’t be what it is without them. But some have checked out. Identify who those are and either push them aside, or ask them to leave. They are throttling growth.

Delegate. Don’t be afraid to hire people who are smarter than you. The CEO God-King myth always overlooks the Sandbergs and the Schmidts who provided the steady hand in the room. Twitch simply does not have that, and if we want to continue growing and to maintain our independent identity, we need to get it.

Invest. Hyper-growth brings all sorts of pains with it, and the first thing to suffer is infrastructure. As that gets throttled, entire job functions find themselves unable to perform. There’s a reason we’re hemorrhaging engineers and data scientists. Identify a leader who wants to scale our technology, and invest in helping them do that as their number-one priority. This spit-and-baling wire approach isn’t going to work much longer.

Solve. Now we are genuinely being scrutinized for our headcount. Which means we’re going to fight for limited resources that continue to dwindle due to attrition-without-backfill. When conflicting priorities come up, solve those conflicts. Don’t expect the people below you to do it. Multi-billion-dollar companies don’t self-organize into greatness.

If you aren’t capable of these things, please step down.

3. "Twitch has so much potential"

Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Twitch is an incredible company. The culture here is awesome. Twitch has a culture of delegation and collaboration. At the IC level, there's little politics and you're given full ownership of your work. If you can do it, or convince someone else to do it, you're given the green light. There's no artificial limit. The hierarchy is flat. Engineers have a lot of power to drive things, make decisions and influence products.

It has all the other perks you could imagine: free catered food, physiotherapists, flexible hours, work from home, unlimited PTOs, higher than average compensation.

The brand is loved by its users. The product is fun to work on, and the challenges are always there.

The CEO loves the company and is very transparent, it doesn't feel corporate at all here.

Cons

At the management level, there's more politics. The right choices are not always taken. There are a few senior employees that are obviously demotivated that are just waiting for their restricted stock units to vest; they bring the morale of a team down and should be gotten rid of.

Because the company has grown so much in little time, there are a few systems that have no owners, there are a few processes that are unclear.

The CEO has the founder syndrome, so there can be attempts at micro-managing certain team decisions. I don't think he realizes he has this power, so just something to be aware of.

Advice to Management

Twitch is a growing teenager, this company is barely 10 years old and it has grown so much in the last years. The advice to management is to make sure this growth is properly distributed. Get rid of the bad apples, rewards the right contributors.

4. "Some culture issues, but improving"

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

Culture, perks, benefits are all great. Smart people who are willing to help you learn and grow

Cons

Clique-y, hard to meet new people or feel included, constant changes so it's hard to know what's really happening

"Twitch is awesome other than the whiny co-workers"

I have been working at Twitch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

We move really quickly here. Our product teams are constantly shipping and are not blocked by management or other product orgs.
    We are customer-obsessed. Everything we do is to improve our product for the benefit of our customers.
    We have great perks and benefits.
    Great location in the center of SF.
    We get all the benefits of Amazon without the full drag of the Amazon culture (though this is changing).
    Our leadership is improving - Sara is a great step in the right direction.

Cons

So many whiny, entitled brats work here. It takes a lot of patience to interact with them.
    We have a lot of people that were here before the acquisition and they are completely checked out.

Advice to Management

Get more people like Sara.
    Get a CPO and empower that person to guide the product.
    Prioritize building a culture that is free of all the whiners - seriously, hire mature people.

"On the up."

Pros

Business is growing at crazy YOY rates in spite of historical mismanagement. New wave of talent up leveling the game. All upside if we can execute.

Cons

Tech stack needs investment particularly data infrastructure. CEO smart but challenging personality. Seems to be improving with partnership with new COO. Seattle culture less collaborative.

Advice to Management

Give people clarity of strategy and plans. Stick with them. Hire tech leadership.

"Moving in the right direction with lots of opportunity"

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- high compensation
    - great perks/benefits
    - company has a lot of opportunity to grow
    - learning opportunities
    - new management

Cons

- some old guard management still around that need to move on
    - some entitlement among younger employees who don’t realize how good they have it

8. "."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

interesting problems, fun culture, nice offices, ability to have impact

Cons

product flails in certain areas

"Constant changes and lack of stability"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twitch full-time

Pros

Twitch has fantastic perks such as free food for breakfast/lunch/dinner/snacks/alcohol, free massages if you can jump in on the schedule fast enough. They do offer some competitive salaries for the game industry but maybe not against other tech companies but I wouldn't compare them apples to apples anyways. AMZN stock keeps skyrocketing which has helped a ton.

Cons

The company has constant re-orgs. I think last year alone a few teams received 2-3 different re-orgs. With these re-orgs come goal changes and immediately the focus for the company ends up switching from one product to another in a matter of weeks and it's hard to figure out what you need to aim for for further growth in the company. Growth is fairly stagnant due to this and they tend to hire in people as opposed to promote within.

The company also has a little bit of a clique problem. A lot of old guard who have been there tend to sway their influence around and they also have a lot of embedded pockets of friends. New management is coming in so hopefully it addresses it as some are on their way out but it's odd to eat lunch and see how teams never sit with each other and eat and instead they sit within their own teams only.

Advice to Management

Stick to a plan. It seems like they finally are but they changed their plans on different goals at least 4-5 times last year.

The company now has the tools to research and see what works. There should always be ideas thrown against a wall but have data to back it up to continue the initiative and stop driving forward the ones that clearly failed but continue being driven forward due to 'gut' feelings or others internally influencing them.

"Great company in transition"

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart, clever, hardworking coworkers. New Leadership transitioning Twitch to a more mature company focused of on long term goals. Amazon RSUs are amazing.

Cons

There is a small contingent of in titled employees who complain about everything.

Advice to Management

Don't let the squeakiest wheels get all the grease. Stay focused on objectives. Move low and moderate performers who complain about everything out of the org. Continue to bring in smart people who want to be there.