Twitch "free snacks" Reviews | Glassdoor

Twitch Employee Reviews about "free snacks"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Becoming more and more like Amazon"

Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Twitch is a great platform that to connects to a great community. You definitely feel good and excited about the product you are working on, if you are into gaming it's a no brainer.
    Free lunch, snacks and expense accounts are good bonuses.
    There's some great people here (along with not so great people).

Cons

Becoming more and more like Amazon to please Amazon overlords. Freedoms are already being restricted. Several loops and back and forth for the simplest of expense reporting. In a few years I see the free snacks and lunch being greatly restricted and reduced in quality (they have already started it by reducing snack vendors).

I would only recommend to engineers. They are the ones more in the Twitch protected bubble and being in SF will likely to be the last mans standing for privileges. If you work corporate you are likely not going to enjoy it as much unless working at Amazon type environment appeals to you. If you are looking for a small business mentality look elsewhere. They also do not have landlines for individual employees so be prepared to put your personal cell phone on all your emails.

Managers are for the most part incompetent so many boosted titles because they were there for the takeover. I have never seen so many directors with no one to manage in my life. Granted it's a problem with lots of small businesses that boom but their ability to manage people is seriously lacking for the ones that do have them. Also because so many were there pre-take over there is definitely a clique and they will step over you, lie, etc in order to secure their positions and maintain status quo of their clique and ranks. I have had high up managers tell me to keep secrets from other managers.

I was also able to see behind the veil on how they treat popular streamers and they treat them like spoiled children who get their way regardless of what they do. These streamers are considered independent contractors so it's actually just an EEOC case waiting to happen there. I would not want to be in a position to deal with them or be apart of any fallout that comes from that so I would beware if you are looking for a partnerships role as you will take the bullet for your streamer.

Whoever wrote the review that working at Twitch is like Twitch chat is spot on. If you do decide to work here keep an eye out, be savvy and come to work everyday prepared to play the corporate game. Beware of those that smile in your face as they will be the ones to stab you in the back. Diversity is seriously lacking as well. CEO is a very smart guy to be looked up to but he definitely sold the company's soul to Amazon.

Advice to Management

Management training on how to effectively manage employees is vital. Also while it's good to consider all options and be mindful while you are in a small to big business transition model, don't be afraid to make decisions now to solve problems. Too many important issues sitting still for 6+ months without anyone taking action to solve them. I believe this is due to not wanting to be the one to take the risk and have it fail.

Twitch Response

Jan 3, 2017

Thanks for the feedback and I will certainly make sure the Exec team gets this feedback. Things are constantly evolving when a company grows at the rate Twitch has. Hopefully we'll continue to... More

"Great Atmosphere"

I worked at Twitch full-time

Pros

Cons

No bad things to say about twitch as they have a Great Atmosphere with others and management would recommend to friends and family also you get free snacks and breakfast every now and then.

Advice to Management

Not much advice to give since they are all amazing people and work hard at what they do and have fun.

Twitch Response

Dec 19, 2016

Thanks for the positive review and wish you luck in your new role! - Arthur Yamamoto / Director of Recruiting