Twitch "growing pains" Reviews | Glassdoor

Twitch Employee Reviews about "growing pains"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Growing pains but still a great place to work"

Pros

Great people
    Great compensation and great perks (unlimited PTO is important to me)
    One of the most passionate communities around the product. You tend to forget until you go to TwitchCon.

Cons

Growing pains, Twitch grew a ton over the last couple years. People are learning and adapting.

Advice to Management

HR needs to step up their game. Need to be more responsive, ppl called you guys out at all hands, dont wait a month to lay out a plan and address feedback.

"Great company to work for!"

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture, perks, and working with inspired and passionate people. I get to work with some of the most talented people I've ever met who truly care about what they do. Also, I get to play arcade games during my breaks. Can't beat it...

Cons

We're in a unique position and experiencing some growing pains. It's natural as you mature as a company. While I don't really feel it because of my team's dynamic, there has been a morale dip as of late. I anticipate this will subside soon.

"SDE II"

I worked at Twitch full-time

Pros

Growing quickly, lots to build

Cons

Expanding really fast, natural growing pains

Advice to Management

Keep at it

Sep 15, 2017 – Recruiting Manager

Thanks for the feedback!
    -Michael Schembari, Recruiting Manager

"Not for grown ups"

Pros

Good amenities (meals, snacks, massages). HR, Facilities and IT staff are great and those teams work hard to try to create a good environment for employees. Company has room to grow and better than average chance for future success.

Cons

Standard benefits (health insurance, 401K match, RSU vesting schedule) are really poor. If you come here, negotiate hard on salary, since the benefits package means you could end up taking an inadvertent pay cut. (Personally, I'd rather have decent insurance than free massages.) Standard growing pains of any startup moving into maturity-resistance to structure, middle-school-ish work culture, unseasoned business folks who need a ton of hand-holding. Tough environment for established professionals-daily exercise in frustration.

Advice to Management

Provide more robust training for your business teams and enforce better, more professional standards in general. Chaos doesn't generally produce success.

Sep 6, 2016

Appreciate the feedback and sorry that you're no longer with Twitch. We're certainly a company that has more growing to do, and I know Emmett and the exec team are working hard to continually help... More

5. "I love working at Twitch"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

perks, flexibility, challenges, camraderie, fun product

Cons

The company has growing pains, but people are good at what they do, so I'm optimistic

Advice to Management

keep Twitch a happy place!

Aug 22, 2016

Thanks for the review! - Arthur Yamamoto / Director of Recruiting

"Twitch is passionate about their product!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great perks, great people, exciting work. Twitch is filled with people who really care about the product they're building, and that makes the work all that much more worthwhile. It's great to be part of a company that is transition from startup to a larger company; Amazon provides Twitch with support, but Twitch still retains the culture that made it unique in the first place.

Cons

The company is going through some growing pains, but overall they have been relatively smooth. From an engineering standpoint, the biggest hurdle is digging through legacy code that nobody seems to know about, since all of the people that wrote said code are now in management roles or left the company after the acquisition.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing; it's working. Listen to employee advice to improve the workplace, and it'll get even better!

Apr 20, 2016

Great to hear and thanks for the feedback. - Arthur Yamamoto / Director of Recruiting

"Twitch is motivating and full of great people!"

Current Employee - Director of Programming in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Programming in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Twitch is a fast growing, flexible tech and creative company that gives their employees the ability to flex their power and knowledge in this space. One of the most amazing things about Twitch is the very eclectic talent pool of employees. There are so many experts that it's hard to not learn something new at Twitch everyday. The other thing that flows through this company is passion. You'll find people who are willing to go above and beyond simply due to their love of the company, Twitch, and it's community. It's a very rewarding place to hang one's hat.

Cons

Due to the growth of the company, things can sometimes move slower than you'd like. Thankfully, this has gotten much better over time, but occasionally you can still feel the dull thump of growing pains (which frankly, is a good problem to have!)

"Growing, Fast-Paced, Challenging"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Rapid growth means many opportunities for advancement. Cutting edge issues to deal with every single day. Smart, young people all around you. Free food, free happy hours, great benefits.

The pay is way above market.

Cons

Rapid growth means growing pains. Amazon is looking to add controls, which many at the company are resisting. Hard to maintain a company culture when there are more new people every day.

Advice to Management

We need to keep hiring the best and brightest or we are doomed. That means we have to keep getting the word out about what makes Twitch special: it has the security of Amazon, but the culture of a startup. Also, we need more space!

Apr 5, 2016

Company cultures evolve and change as companies grow, but hopefully we'll keep hiring people who are in line with what makes Twitch great.

thanks,
    Arthur Yamamoto
    Director of Recruiting

"Incredible to see growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- being part of a cultural phenomenon
    - people from various startup, gaming, and media backgrounds
    - benefits and perks and overall happiness :)
    - work hard play hard attitude

Cons

- structural and process growing pains
    - very engineer-focused

Advice to Management

Celebrate all departments more!