Twitch "smart people" Reviews | Glassdoor

Twitch Employee Reviews about "smart people"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Morale is low"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twitch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are some really good smart people at twitch. Some of the best people I've met in my life. Both genuinely caring and good at their jobs. There are fun and interesting problems that need to be solved.

Cons

At some point people just stopped caring about the product, stopped caring about stability. Morale started to suffer, the vision of where to go became unclear. Politics took over, infighting between teams became too much.

We are either to integrated with Amazon, or not integrated enough. This half and half state is killing the company slowly. We don't have the management or TPM structure to deal with interacting with Amazon. At the same time we don't have the internal tooling teams or structure to not integrate deep into amazon.

We either need to massively beef up the TPM structure and start adopting Amazon's internal tools and systems. If we don't want to do that then we need to massively increase the size of the devtools and systems teams to better support the company.

Advice to Management

Figure out the morale problem. Integrate with Amazon. Address the FUD about Amazon, it is the elephant in the room.

"Twitch used to be a great place to work, don't expect that for much longer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great food perks, though these have slowly been dwindling for each passing week
    - Smart people, there are a handful of bright individuals that help you learn
    - Strong brand, great loving community
    - Flexible work schedule

Cons

- Misguided CEO that tries to take on too many rolls (We have no CTO, CPO, or arguably CEO)
    - Constant reorgs without clear alignment and direction
    - Inadequate management, while there are a handful of good managers at Twitch, an overwhelming majority are poor (first time managers, usbpar engineers)
    - Toxic culture, there are adversarial relationships rampant at the company and the product reflects this division
    - Compensation and vesting schedule is below market
    - Morale has been slowly taking a dip

Advice to Management

Replace ineffective leaders with the right people. Align priorities across all organizations and teams.

Sep 15, 2017 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. Please know that we take this type of feedback seriously and are actively addressing where we’re not on target. I've personally... More

"Amazing Community and Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch (Less than a year)

Pros

Passionate, driven, community-focused company with amazingly smart people in a unique environment. Growth curve means tons of opportunity to learn and participate in projects, regardless of your level. Knowing and playing video games as a part of your job!

Cons

It's a growth company: change is constant, lacks some structure (for now)

Apr 6, 2016

Appreciate the feedback. Change will always be constant for a scaling company, but hopefully we get better with the structure piece! If there's any additional feedback you'd like to share - please... More

"Variety of Challenges and A Rare Opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

+ Work with smart people who care about their product and craft
    + Employees are empowered to actively experiment and make improvements
    + Company that knows and actively participates in its community
    + Opportunity to shape the future of the engineering organization
    + People are well compensated and continuously taken care of

Twitch is one of the few places I've worked where people are day in and day out passionate about what they work on. It's because many, before becoming employees, were viewers, broadcasters and contributors themselves.

Twitch is currently growing along with the size of its community. It's a rare opportunity to work at that juncture in defining how Twitch will operate in the coming years. Not a chance you get with many smaller startups or larger more established companies.

Cons

- Feeling a real need for more human resources
    - In a period of experimentation to figure out what makes sense for the future

Advice to Management

Expand opportunities or amenities to make working outside the expensive SF metro area more accessible.

Apr 5, 2016

Thanks for the feedback. We're definitely exploring more remote or non-SF offices and hope to have some progress on that soon. And we're definitely planning to grow HR further.

thanks,
    Arthur... More

"Lots of growth"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- lots of smart people
    - lots of opportunities for growth
    - strong engineering culture
    - great for gamers, still great even if you're not

Cons

- inexperienced upper management
    - inexperienced product management
    - lots of changes in direction
    - uncertainty as to how to grow the origanization

Advice to Management

try bringing in more experienced senior engineering management to help the organization learn to grow to the size needed to grow to complete product goals

"Excellent place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

At Twitch, we have:
    Great Team
    Flexible Employer
    Scientific Approach
    Gaming Focus
    Fun and Welcoming Atmosphere

So if you want to work on challenging problems with smart people in one of the fastest growing new entertainment industries, if you like helping to shape the future, work in an environment that accepts and appreciates self starters, and be part of something truly different and magical, you should join Twitch!

Cons

As a company still in the transition between startup to a large stable company, you will have to go beyond any job title you have to get initiatives and goals accomplished. It requires flexibility and a willingness to work hard which may not appeal to someone who wants a job fully mapped out duties with completely defined roles that requires little thought.

Advice to Management

Ensure that the Twitch culture keeps to its core as we grow the team. So far, you have done a good job and I believe it will continue but it is worth being vigilant about.

"Rewarding, get to see the fruits of your labor."

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture, especially if you're into gaming. The perks are nice, you get time off whenever you need to and you don't have to worry about meals. The work is really challenging at times and the payoff is great when you manage to finish a big project. Smart people abound.

Cons

Some transitional hiccups as we become a bigger company.

Advice to Management

Don't let the culture slip through our fingers so easily, it's our biggest asset. Just because we're becoming a big company doesn't mean we need to do All The Things big companies do.

Jul 16, 2014 – Senior Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback!