Twitch "upper management" Reviews | Glassdoor

Twitch Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Some severe problems need fixing, wait till they blow over"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Twitch, at least in the beginning, attracted several talented folks in both product and engineering who are passionate about gaming and streaming. It feels amazing to be surrounded by people who understand the same gaming subculture as you do. Non-gamers who join are often quickly converted into enthusiastic gaming supporters and find their own preference (whether it be MMOs, shooters, fighters, platformer, mobile games, or even boardgames).

If you're an IC, the work/life balance can be good and having unlimited vacation is nice.

There are also the catered free food and snacks, gym perks, commute perks etc.

Finally, you also get to impress other gamers when you tell them you work at Twitch.

Cons

As previous reviews have pointed out, Twitch is not in a good place at the moment. Senior management has not shown strong leadership or consistent decision making. This, together with the immense growth and urgency Twitch has experienced in the past year, has led to a lot of frantic scrambling in the company. There are too many proposals, too many directions, too many sprawling goals and far, far too many voices in the room. Having upper management re-enforce discipline and central strategy to get everyone in line would be nice, but the execs are too inexperienced and/or overburdened (our exec suite is short staffed) to handle this.

If you're a manager (whether it be tech lead or director), you will find it hard and stressful to plan, and to maintain a workable roadmap for your team. In Twitch's struggle to find ANYTHING to boost KPIs, teams are trying out ideas left and right, often dumping sudden workloads on other teams in the process, and leaving the projects half-finished.

Company morale has been tanking, and people are left stressed and anxious. I highly not recommend anybody join until the leadership and coordination problems are fixed.

Advice to Management

Be clear on your strategy/decisions and repeat, repeat, repeat. Having folks read a paper copy of a long-winded and redacted strategy report is not good enough, somebody should present the key points to everybody in the company.

In the case of conflicting goals and priorities (eg. two teams fighting for same resource), please be the adjudicator when teams escalate it to you instead of letting them fight it out.

Enforce discipline and make sure people stay focused and aligned.

"In decline"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good perks
    Amazon stock performs well

Cons

Dysfunctional upper management
    CEO micromanages
    More Amazon influence everyday
    Poor communication
    Poor product vision
    Vesting happens soon

Advice to Management

If you are going to hire exec talent they need to perform immediately and not disrupt the culture.

"Management focuses on results instead of building a great company"

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The core product is awesome and the Twitch community loves us for what we do. It feels great to enable thousands to make a living while doing what they love. While the company culture has dissipated over the years, it is still generally a fun place to work, and most people who work there are passionate and cool. Vacation policy is lax, benefits are great (although relatively standard for a SF tech company). If you love video games and nerd culture you'll probably enjoy working here.

Cons

We hire new product managers all the time, yet lack a unified product vision. Even with our small army of product managers, it seems as though our CEO and one or two close to him make almost all major product decision. Products commonly launch feature-bare, often lacking some of the most basic functionality you'd expect. This is a result of extreme pressure from management to launch as many features as fast as possible in hopes that it might improve minutes watched. We launch too many bad products because of this.

We lack a strong culture. There is no true north to set our gaze upon. No lofty ambition to help people express themselves and build community with our platform. As far as I can tell, Twitch's sole purpose is to grow minutes watched, by likely impossible (or at best unrealistic) margins month over month, year over year. That's not sexy or exciting or inspiring or making the world a better place. This extreme focus on metrics has caused us to make decisions that don't benefit our users.

Career development is a struggle for most. Twitch is more ready to hire directors and VPs from outside rather than promote those with institutional knowledge from within. I can't tell you the number of times I've been asked to submit a proposal ("OP1") for where I'd like my team to grow, what roles I'd like to hire for, and what we'd like to accomplish in the next year, only to never even see a shred of meaningful feedback. The next year, you're asked to submit another OP1 with 0 retrospection as to the previous year's lack of movement. This has happened not just once or twice, and has left me feeling as though I've stagnated in my personal career, and failed my direct reports as a manager.

Inter-departmental communication is poor. Very few teams (outside of science) share updates, leaving little opportunity for feedback, collaboration, analysis of successes/failures, or simply patting eachother on the back for work well done. Even though I've been at the company for many years, I still don't believe I have the avenues to pitch new initiatives or give feedback on others. Even worse, on more than one occasion I've had to deal with newly hired product managers or business unit owners making substantial changes to products and areas my team owns, without my consent or even advanced notice. How does this happen you ask? Because of mandates from upper management pushing a product or idea because they think it will drive minutes. Recurring theme here.

Advice to Management

Management is too far in the weeds. Upper management needs to focus on the health and happiness of our org, and on establishing clear culture and direction, not on the minutia of a product launch or closing another deal in order to incrementally grow our business metrics. Actually, we need more C and SVP+ level staff to look after their orgs in general. The urgency to drive results has seemingly superseded building a better company to better serve our community.

"Lots of growth"

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- lots of smart people
    - lots of opportunities for growth
    - strong engineering culture
    - great for gamers, still great even if you're not

Cons

- inexperienced upper management
    - inexperienced product management
    - lots of changes in direction
    - uncertainty as to how to grow the origanization

Advice to Management

try bringing in more experienced senior engineering management to help the organization learn to grow to the size needed to grow to complete product goals

"Low to no growth opportunities. Underqualified upper management team"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

If you're into video games, this is a dream come true. Work during the day, video game with coworkers after. Have exclusive scoop on gaming news and events.

Cons

- There is literally no growth opportunities here. If you join Twitch, expect to stay at your title forever.
    - May as well not give a salary raise because the raises here are negligible
    - Upper management is under qualified and doesn't really know what they're doing.
    - The company will never promote you. Instead of promoting loyal and hardworking engineers to senior engineers, we are literally hiring from outside. Engineers who I don't even consider is a senior engineer nor respect as senior. There are a handful of employees who have worked here for years that deserve the senior engineer title WAY more than these so called newly hired senior engineers. Please change this.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to stay away from product decisions. They get way too involved and push ridiculous deadlines.

Please stop hiring seniors from outside the company. promote your employees from within!!! Please please please change this.

Twitch Response

Feb 18, 2016

If you are a current employee, I'd love to chat with you completely off the record. Your perspective is obviously concerning, and I'd love to see if there's anything I can do to help. I do think... More

"Real Life Twitch Chat"

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

- Gamer's haven with pc and console rooms, arcade, and live esports viewing
    - Food, perks/benefits, time off

Cons

Twitch as a company largely reflects its online culture: gamers with egos larger than their talent creating a disorganized workspace where the louder your scream the more you get noticed. Quite literally, the internal chat could be a snapshot of Twitch chat.

If you like to game, argue, and fight, you'll love it here. Upper management has lost control of the company; people say and do whatever they want. Imagine an environment where directors/VPs set the precedent of yelling, screaming, and throwing fits over a game. Imagine an environment where angry gamers never learned to behave; that's Twitch. If you want a professional environment to develop and grow, you're better off looking somewhere else.

Advice to Management

Focus on keeping a positive company culture and emphasize respect. We're all on the same side; no need to be as toxic as Twitch chat.

Twitch Response

Feb 8, 2016

Would love a chance to chat further with you and find out more about your specific area. Totally open to chatting completely off the record and confidentially. If you're a current employee, you... More

"not so hot"

I worked at Twitch (Less than a year)

Pros

Twitch is a flexible work environment, to the point where not much gets done. It is also a good (and common) place for new grads.

Cons

Not an environment for professionals. Work time is lax, games are prevalent and people bail on meetings to go search out snacks. Engineers are coddled and problem employees are not dealt with appropriately. There is no real planning and lots of deflection. Upper management is often too involved in the wrong things.

Advice to Management

Tighten things up before Amazon takes your company away from you.