Twitter Reviews | Glassdoor

Twitter Reviews

Updated April 25, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Solid work/life balance (but actually (in 42 reviews)

• Twitter is an amazing place to work with super smart people who are action oriented (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • Voluntary sacrifice of work/life balance (in 12 reviews)

• Upper management needs to be more consistent (in 12 reviews)

1. "Account Manager role"

Current Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter (More than a year)

Pros

Great team, atmosphere, culture
    Benefits are awesome - but not out of the park compared to other tech companies

Cons

Needs a better training system

2. "Basic Overview"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing company culture. Great benefits. Hard working employees. Also a solid work life balance. Would recommend to a friend.

Cons

Management can be weak. Product shipping and iteration has been slow but is improving. Compensation is poor from a competitive standpoint.

Advice to Management

Get more diverse perspectives from employees who come from places other than Google. Lots of Google management who have failed to really make an impact here.

"Complete Chaos and Lack of Leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Has the potential to be something truly great

Cons

Complete leadership chaos, disruption and lack of business prowess. A CEO who is half time, a revolving door of senior leadership, literately no strategic planning and they ask "why do we lose so many good people?"

Advice to Management

Invest in some experienced senior leadership that can manage a PUBLIC company on behalf of the shareholders it serves. When Twitter went public, it forgot to shift its focus to shareholder return from their startup mentality. Board members, please fix their focus and ease them out of their "but Twitter's cool the way it is" mentality. Either evolve or die.

"A cautionary tale"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twitter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is plenty to eat and be entertained by. Smart progressive colleagues. Easy commute in the city. Good work life balance. Cool products to work on.

Cons

During my 2 & 1/2 years at Twitter my team was reorg'd 5 times and was assigned a new manager on average every 3 or 4 months which made growth nearly impossible. However, after my second year and a lot of hard work I received a merit pay increase and promotion. The next quarter I was again reorg'd to a different team and given a 22% pay cut. My salary instantly became less than I was making before I joined the company. Shortly after discussing the financial hardships this was going to cause, reviewing my past accomplishments and performance reviews with the HRBP, my employment was terminated. Sidenote if you're a member of a minority group, run!

Advice to Management

Executive staff has very little insight into decisions and ethics of middle management.

6. "Best job I've had in ten years of tech"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart, dedicated coworkers. Highly collaborative environment that I enjoy coming to each day. Hours are reasonable, pay is very competitive, benefits are incredible, and managers are competent and thoroughly trained to manage people—no micromanaging, credit takers, or fail-up leaders in my group. I'm very happy here after a year.

Cons

The worst part of working at Twitter is the reputation we currently have, and combating the negative news and gossip.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your employees and their managers. This place is special.

"Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Smartest people in the valley, great culture of transparency and accountability, excellent exposure to the business side of things and the most amazing food at any Silicon Valley company

Cons

Stock dips, high profile management attrition, product communication issues and talent attrition. The shuttle service could be better though I can't really complain

"Engineer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twitter full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great engineers, smart people, free food, decent benefits (not extra-ordinary)

Cons

Incompetent executives. The company is in a constant state of re-org. There is a re-org every month. There is total lack of innovation in the company and there is a massive talent drain in the company. Most people I know who quit did not leave for poor compensation or poor stock grants: Its because there is no faith in a management that is running around like headless chicken.

There are no career opportunities because the company is not growing. The environment is getting very political and lacks transparency. The core product has not changed in years.

Advice to Management

Its too late for any advice

"9 managers in 3 years"

Former Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twitter full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great food. Smart people. Having people know where you worked was rewarding.

Cons

Company couldn't make decisions. Marketing department was a mess. Every 3 months they would hand us over to another manager. One manager even admitted he didn't want the job which was depressing.

Advice to Management

Enough with the Jack comeback story. Sell it to someone capable of focusing on Twitter.

"Amazing place to work and continues to be the voice of the world."

Current Employee - Manager Recrutment in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager Recrutment in New York, NY

I have been working at Twitter full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Still young and scrappy start up feeling but with strong revenues to back it up which make for an amazing culture. At Twitter, you will be challenged and work hard, but for that you will be well compensated, well fed (3 paid gourmet meals/day), and smile more than frown. Tons of perks and stock given to all employees. 5 months of paid Maternity/Paternity!

Cons

Only con is that by joining Twitter, you have to dispel the garbage the media throws out about our future because the stock is down. If you join, you believe in the product and will be a part of it sustaining in a competitive market. Nothing stays at the top forever and you can't tear down a kingdom that easily.

Advice to Management

Be more vocal about plans to monetize video and power up with Periscope!

"Love working at Twitter because the product matters to the world"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you love Twitter and what it stands for, it's a motivating place to work. Twitter is simultaneously making solid improvements to its core product while investing in some invigorating new areas like live video, AR/VR, and AI/computer vision. I've noticed an increasing number of new hires from places like Google, Facebook, Uber, and others lately which indicates that interest is strong.

Food is awesome at lunch time (not quite so much at dinner, but it's solid). HQ is a nice place to work.

At least on my team, management is very good at recognizing good work and promoting quickly.

Cons

There are visible departures of well liked people, most of whom seem to be leaving for smaller startups. I feel that this is a natural part of one's career, but it can still be disappointing when people who are admired and who care about Twitter still choose to leave.

Work on some teams can be slow due to a paranoia about experimenting to make sure metrics aren't hurt. I feel that leadership needs to be bolder in shipping to prevent churning and inefficiency.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring good leaders and good engineers. Be more self aware about the reality of Twitter's situation and avoid changing the message communicated to employees.