Twitter Reviews | Glassdoor

Twitter Reviews

Updated May 20, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Solid work/life balance (but actually (in 42 reviews)

• Twitter is an amazing place to work with super smart people who are action oriented (in 48 reviews)

Cons

"Great people not so great management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter (More than a year)

Pros

People, food, workspace, perks and culture.

Cons

Constant change in management, entitlement issues

"Flash in the pan"

Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twitter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Above market pay, good brand name

Cons

Only the world's best people can successfully run two companies at once. Is Dorsey competitive with Musk? No. Twitter is failing and Dorsey is over-committed.

The company seems more interested in selectively applying the TOS against conservatives on the platform than in running a successful business.

Advice to Management

1. Get a CEO who can focus on Twitter full time.
    2. Be an unbiased communication utility available for everyone -- even if they have things to say that company insiders don't agree with.
    3. Enforce the TOS evenhandedly. Stop targeting conservatives for "wrong think" while allowing Leftists to incite violence on the platform unchallenged.
    4. Don't bow to celebrity pressure over schoolyard bickering at the expense of long term viability.
    5. Divestiture of failed acquisitions such as Vine.
    6. Get some discipline in the core software engineering function. Lots of goofing off going on.

3. "Account Manager role"

Current Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter (More than a year)

Pros

Great team, atmosphere, culture
    Benefits are awesome - but not out of the park compared to other tech companies

Cons

Needs a better training system

5. "Basic Overview"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing company culture. Great benefits. Hard working employees. Also a solid work life balance. Would recommend to a friend.

Cons

Management can be weak. Product shipping and iteration has been slow but is improving. Compensation is poor from a competitive standpoint.

Advice to Management

Get more diverse perspectives from employees who come from places other than Google. Lots of Google management who have failed to really make an impact here.

"Complete Chaos and Lack of Leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Has the potential to be something truly great

Cons

Complete leadership chaos, disruption and lack of business prowess. A CEO who is half time, a revolving door of senior leadership, literately no strategic planning and they ask "why do we lose so many good people?"

Advice to Management

Invest in some experienced senior leadership that can manage a PUBLIC company on behalf of the shareholders it serves. When Twitter went public, it forgot to shift its focus to shareholder return from their startup mentality. Board members, please fix their focus and ease them out of their "but Twitter's cool the way it is" mentality. Either evolve or die.

"A cautionary tale"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twitter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is plenty to eat and be entertained by. Smart progressive colleagues. Easy commute in the city. Good work life balance. Cool products to work on.

Cons

During my 2 & 1/2 years at Twitter my team was reorg'd 5 times and was assigned a new manager on average every 3 or 4 months which made growth nearly impossible. However, after my second year and a lot of hard work I received a merit pay increase and promotion. The next quarter I was again reorg'd to a different team and given a 22% pay cut. My salary instantly became less than I was making before I joined the company. Shortly after discussing the financial hardships this was going to cause, reviewing my past accomplishments and performance reviews with the HRBP, my employment was terminated. Sidenote if you're a member of a minority group, run!

Advice to Management

Executive staff has very little insight into decisions and ethics of middle management.

8. "Best job I've had in ten years of tech"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart, dedicated coworkers. Highly collaborative environment that I enjoy coming to each day. Hours are reasonable, pay is very competitive, benefits are incredible, and managers are competent and thoroughly trained to manage people—no micromanaging, credit takers, or fail-up leaders in my group. I'm very happy here after a year.

Cons

The worst part of working at Twitter is the reputation we currently have, and combating the negative news and gossip.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your employees and their managers. This place is special.

"Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Smartest people in the valley, great culture of transparency and accountability, excellent exposure to the business side of things and the most amazing food at any Silicon Valley company

Cons

Stock dips, high profile management attrition, product communication issues and talent attrition. The shuttle service could be better though I can't really complain

"Engineer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twitter full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great engineers, smart people, free food, decent benefits (not extra-ordinary)

Cons

Incompetent executives. The company is in a constant state of re-org. There is a re-org every month. There is total lack of innovation in the company and there is a massive talent drain in the company. Most people I know who quit did not leave for poor compensation or poor stock grants: Its because there is no faith in a management that is running around like headless chicken.

There are no career opportunities because the company is not growing. The environment is getting very political and lacks transparency. The core product has not changed in years.

Advice to Management

Its too late for any advice

"9 managers in 3 years"

Former Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twitter full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great food. Smart people. Having people know where you worked was rewarding.

Cons

Company couldn't make decisions. Marketing department was a mess. Every 3 months they would hand us over to another manager. One manager even admitted he didn't want the job which was depressing.

Advice to Management

Enough with the Jack comeback story. Sell it to someone capable of focusing on Twitter.