Two Sigma "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

Two Sigma Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Oct 30, 2019

4.2
Two Sigma CEO David Siegel and John Overdeck (no image)
David Siegel and John Overdeck
Pros
Cons
  • "As Two Sigma grows into a medium-sized entity, there are some growing pains(in 8 reviews)

• "There's still some red-tape around getting environmental changes approved(in 4 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great firm with interesting work and flat organization"

Current Employee - Product Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at Two Sigma full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Very flat structure. Everyone is approachable. - Interesting work. - Senior management comes from a place of trust, meaning they trust business and project owners to do what's best. And that culture permeates the organization. I feel like my manager has trust and confidence in me. - Certainly a tech firm in the finance / investment management world. This means casual dress code, great benefits, work-life balance, and workplace perks. - From what I've seen, internal mobility happens often and is encouraged. - Employees are empowered and encouraged to take on additional work / solve problems that aren't currently being worked on.

Cons

- Different business units can be compartmentalized so can be difficult to meet others throughout the organization.

Two Sigma2019-10-08

"pays well, bad culture"

Current Employee - Quant in New York, NY

I have been working at Two Sigma full-time for less than a year

Pros

- pays quite well - good work-life balance - depending on team, might work on something very interesting

Cons

- extremely secretive culture which makes for both awkward interactions with colleagues (people on your own team won't say hi to you in the hallway) and actually makes your job harder (lots of things don't just lack documentation - they CAN'T be documented, people get thrown out of meetings half way through to preserve secrecy, no one casually talks about what they're working on) - can't interact with open source community or speak at conferences about your work very easily

Two Sigma2019-10-31

"Great place for a quant researcher"

Current Employee - Quantitative Researcher in New York, NY

I have been working at Two Sigma full-time for more than a year

Pros

1. Great work-life balance and flexible hours. 2. Smart people with high level of intellectual curiosity as their main motivation. 3. Great tech-company-like culture that values creative ideas from everyone. 4. Challenging and interesting work.

Cons

No major complaints yet.

Two Sigma2019-08-08
  4. "Great company to work in"

I have been working at Two Sigma full-time for more than a year

Pros

Average quality of employees is high. Good work life balance. Good reputation in financial world.

Cons

Although people here try to be very helpful, Green Card application process takes longer than normal big IT companies due to limit of experience and resource.

Two Sigma2019-08-15

"To me, super interesting work matching my skills"

Current Employee - Quantitative Researcher in New York, NY

I have been working at Two Sigma full-time for less than a year

Pros

(1) As a quant researcher, super exciting work. See the impact of your own models to bring revenue to the company, see you can predict the future by using advanced quant techniques; (2) Great work-life balance, the company understand that great idea takes time to become effective and it understands that letting researchers have their own schedules and pace is good in the long run; (3) Excellent pay with no doubt.

Cons

In my view, the company hires way many engineers than needed sometimes. I need to maintain the bar to be high and hire just enough and really excellent engineers, and of course treat them well. Too many so-so hires hurts the company reputation and the business.

Two Sigma2018-06-11

"Glad I ended up here!"

I have been working at Two Sigma full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work/life balance - Management doesn't want people to burn out and actively looks out for your working conditions. My manager will regularly tell me to go home when I work past 6:30 and gives me mornings off when I work late fixing a high priority support issue. People/Culture - The people are great! Everyone I've worked with here has been highly competent and easy to work with. There's a huge culture of learning and exploration here. Tons of tech talks and study groups with food catered in year-round. There's also non work-related groups and competitions for just about everything like Poker, Bridge, Magic The Gathering, Basketball, Running etc.. Work - The work itself has been quite fulfilling. I can't speak for how it is on every team, but I've worked on backend, frontend, infrastructure, networking, devops, and mobile for my team. My manager does an excellent job at matching me with projects that I'm currently interested in working on. There's a constant stream of exciting and technically challenging new ideas and features. Career Growth - Two Sigma wants to keep people for the long haul and it's super easy to move around the company. There's a big emphasis on setting work related goals for yourself to help you grow and revisiting them a few times a year to see where you're at.

Cons

There's still some red-tape around getting environmental changes approved. However, over the last year there has been a ton of progress on speeding things up and being more flexible on security concerns as more teams explore different environmental setups. Some of the legacy internal infrastructure is starting to show its age. There's a lot of work being done to modernize it and embrace more open source solutions, but there's still a ways to go. However, teams who are working in the cloud don't really have to worry about this.

Two Sigma2017-01-04

"High level individual responsibility & autonomy"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Two Sigma full-time for more than a year

Pros

High level of talent - the firm is filled with smart people High level of impact - the projects we take on are meaningful Interesting work - you will have the opportunity to be creative & take on interesting challenges Autonomy applies to work life balance - you are responsible for creating value, not for putting in long hours

Cons

It's up to you to determine how to contribute to the success of the firm, since you are given autonomy. This can be con, if you require direction to succeed.

Two Sigma2016-05-03

"Two Sigma hires good people, and does some interesting work"

I have been working at Two Sigma full-time for more than a year

Pros

A good work / life balance, some very nice office space in some of the buildings, with enough size and stability to make it feel as if long-term careers are possible.

Cons

Salaries may not compete with other tech companies in the area. Company claims to be working on numerous very interesting problems, but in reality there is a lot of uninteresting work mixed in.

Two Sigma2012-11-10