Tyco Program Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Tyco CEO George R. Oliver
George R. Oliver

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Program Manager of product catalog"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Tyco full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people - pays well - lots of opportunities

Cons

Unstable environment - too many layoffs -

Advice to Management

Must create a stable work enviroment

"Poorly Managed Budget -My Position was Terminated without Notice"

Current Contractor - Program Manager in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Contractor - Program Manager in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at Tyco as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

There aren't many, other than you get to vent with current employees who have been with the company for many years and have seen the degradation of this company from a once great place to work, to its current state which is filled with apathy.

Cons

Where to begin? First, I was asked to relocate from CA to Boca Raton, FL for a 2 to 3 year project. The mismanagement of funds due to a 265% overspend "required cuts". So, less than 6 months after relocating to South Florida, my position was cut. Anyone thinking of joining this company needs to do so knowing that at any time, your position can get cut. IMHO, it isn't worth the risk. Every year Tyco cuts employees because it doesn't have Top Line growth > 1%. So, to increase its EPS, it cuts its operating costs by eliminating employees. The work is distributed to the remaining employees without an increase in pay. This past year their bonuses (20%) were cut in half (to 10%). So, although their workload has more than doubled, they are paid the same, and their bonuses were cut in half. That's just the financial impact.

Tyco is transitioning from a holding company to an operating company. There is very little, if any, knowledge about how to operate as an operating company, so we continued to build new processes to support the new business model. Honestly, that was great work. However, no one followed those. Instead, they just continued to do business as usual which created multiple problems. In order to fix those, I worked tirelessly to get the program back on track. In spite of monumental challenges when I came onto the project, we got everything in order and deployed on time. A huge success. Two months later I am terminated because the project sponsor overspent the budget by 265%. I was thanked for all of my hard work, all of my contributions. However, no severance. Not even a week. I get that it is a contractor's role, but they had me relocate (at my expense) from CA to Florida, and within 6 months terminate my role because of the budget cuts.

Although I was told my future was bright, that I had a number of opportunities ahead of me at Tyco just 3 months ago, those will never be realized. No fault of my own, just budget cuts.

Advice to Management

Follow the money. In my 27 years of software delivery, I've never seen the spending that is going on with the E3 program. I've deployed the SFDC platform at over 20 companies, stood up 2 SFDC Centers of Excellence, and I've never seen budgets amounts like this. Send out an RFP. Investigate the amount of money you spent ($16MM) to get a minimal viable product deployed in one country. That's unheard of.

"A short stop while looking elsewhere"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Westford, MA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Westford, MA

I worked at Tyco full-time

Pros

Some good people, interesting technology, division is growing revenue wise.

Cons

Growth through acquisitions has produced many disjointed processes, each location does things differently. Not conducive to the "One Tyco" mantra. Very slow to back fill positions vacated through attrition. No real incentives for retaining good employees. Lots of overworked employees. HR is abysmal.

Advice to Management

Recognize and promote good talent when you have it. Provide retention incentives outside of the Engineering Management structure. Bonuses, ISO or RCU's. Provide clear career ladder guidance for those who ask about it. Clear out the Westford HR group and re-populate with professionals who will be responsible and work with the management team to help entice people to want to work there.