Tyler Technologies Reviews in Seattle, WA | Glassdoor

Tyler Technologies Seattle Reviews

Updated July 26, 2017

Seattle, WA Area

3.1
Tyler Technologies President, CEO, and Director John S. Marr Jr.
John S. Marr Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance is often talked about but hard to realize (in 7 reviews)

• Upper management obviously does not understand the adage "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" (in 12 reviews)

1. "Employee focused company"

Current Employee - Implemen in Renton, WA
    Current Employee - Implemen in Renton, WA

I have been working at Tyler Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Listens to employees. Customer and employee centric. Great benefits.

Cons

I don't have any cons.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to what your employees say in the surveys.

"Good company, low wages..."

I have been working at Tyler Technologies full-time

Pros

Company overall is updating technology stack
    Renton office management is open to suggestions for improvements
    Good work life balance- not expected to work weekends
    Good office initiatives- monthly movie, fresh fruit delivered weekly, hiking, lunch provided during lunch time brown-bags

Cons

Pay is about 15-30% below market value for software developers/ engineers
    Bonus is a joke

Advice to Management

Increase employees pay to be at least market value to retain good employees, otherwise they will leave.

"Apply if you want to stagnate/coast, are a very slow learner, or want this to be your last job before retirement"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Renton, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Renton, WA

I have been working at Tyler Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Ability to work from home. Some managers are stricter about this than others, but I've been able to do so pretty much whenever I needed (family errand, furniture delivery that can't be rescheduled, etc.).
    * Great work-life balance. 40 hours per week is legitimately the norm here, regardless of seniority. There is no expectation to bring your laptop home at the end of the day. Only once was I explicitly asked to work over the weekend, and I got to do so from home (this was back in 2015).
    * High job security. You pretty much just need to show up to work. I can only imagine just how horrible my output would have to be to get fired.
    * Company stock performs very well, for what it's worth. Company is arguably THE market leader in public sector software.
    * Solid free beverage choices and solid selection of breakroom amenities, like ping-pong table, foosball table, dartboard, freeplay retro arcade machine, board games, and Xbox 360.

Cons

* Base salary is way below the local market rate. As of today's date, Glassdoor shows my base salary as -23.0% market rate.
    * Getting a promotion is based pretty heavily on how long you've been with the company. Management will never admit to this, but it's true.
    * Little to no opportunity to learn new tech stacks. This is a huge dealbreaker to me. As a software engineer, your best option is to study in your free time or the annual office hackathon (this is a recent idea, it's only been done twice so far in Renton). I would not advise aspiring software engineers to stay here long because it won't bolster your resume much at all.

Advice to Management

* Have two full-week hackathons instead of just one 3-4 day hackathon. Software engineers crave learning and experimenting.
    * Pay market rate. If you're the market leader in your sphere, then pay like it. Your low compensation would make sense if you were a small player in public sector, but that's not the case. For reference, companies with offices near Renton include Amazon, Microsoft, Google, Facebook, Expedia, Tableau, Zillow, Redfin, DocuSign, Adobe, AirBnB, Apple, Uber, Twitter, Hulu, Palantir, Pinterest, Snapchat, Qualtrics...they all pay at least market rate.

"Sr. Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA

I worked at Tyler Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great health insurance and work life balance.

Cons

No career path unless you are pretty close to President/CEO/higher management.

Advice to Management

You got to have a better team if you want to do business and increase revenue.

"Promotions based on tenure rather than aptitude"

Former Employee - Senior Technical Support Specialist in Renton, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Support Specialist in Renton, WA

I worked at Tyler Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great entry level foot in the door job

Cons

pay was lower than going rate
    no mobility

Advice to Management

promote people based on aptitude for the full job, if promoting to management make sure the candidate is good at managing people not just managing databases

"Good company despite some bad division management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA

I have been working at Tyler Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Leader in public sector
    Strong overall performance despite some bad division leaders
    Dedicated employee despite low pay

Cons

Agree with others - the management at Renton Division reflect badly on the company and treat their employees like fools
    *Terrible track record: they failed everything they do. Just look at EDEN, it is fading from the market; their partner Microsoft is ditching them too.
    *Nepotism: all key management positions are occupied by people related to the old management of EDEN company or their friends. The management are clueless on what they are doing. That's why EDEN products and Dynamics AX are spinning wheels going no where.
    * Never believe a word from your managers: They promise promotions and pay raise when they need you but will quickly forget their promises after they are done using you and blame it on upper management or partners. They would never hesitate to throw you off the bus to make themselves cost saving champions.
    * Vicious retention strategy: they pay well below market rate. If you put them as one of your referees, they would deliberately give bad reference to your potential employers. That's why so many good people stuck there with stagnant salary.

Advice to Management

Why do you put the same people who failed EDEN and Dynamics AX in charge of development? Why not save the big bucks you pay those liars to reward the employees who do all the real work?

"Bad management from top down"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Renton, WA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Renton, WA

I have been working at Tyler Technologies full-time

Pros

There is no pro with this company. You simply cannot find a worse job.

Cons

The company is good at squeezing as much as possible from the employees. The managers are unprofessional in this company, at least in their Renton divison. They were all part of the old timers club. The typical management you have there would simply lock himself in the office all day; have no technical or professional skills and offer no constructive value to the team, except telling you how much you suck in the year end review. The managers are at the positions only because they are friends of the upper management. The management is also deceptive. Last year they were planning a mass layoff while promising everyone job security and promotion; but the end, they pushed a lot of people off the cliff. Some of them openly discriminate alumni of other schools except his own - Washington State University. we have all lost our faith in the management and their existence threatens our job security. Their incompetence is evidenced by the poor performance of EDEN and Dynamics AX.

Advice to Management

Replace the incompetent management of Renton unless you are all like them.

8. "Payroll Support Specialist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA

I have been working at Tyler Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Small Company environment and close-knit community

Cons

little time off, not a lot of career path so can feel dead end.

"The renton office has a strong and supportive community of south asians - napalese, indians and Pakistanis."

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Renton, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Renton, WA

I have been working at Tyler Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Shared van pool, free coffee, a strong soutg asian community (Indian, Pakistani, and napalese), the peer review system is very helpful

Cons

The management is ineffective and are mostly white male, the company culture is still white centric, salary is below par, promotion does not give a big boost of salary.

Advice to Management

Need to replace white managers with indians, napalese, or Pakistani.

"Internship"

Former Intern - Intern in Renton, WA
    Former Intern - Intern in Renton, WA

I worked at Tyler Technologies as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Had a good time with other interns; task is not technically demanding

Cons

The mentor is absolutely the worst I have ever seen. Can't remember his name only remember he is bearded man from Pakistan. I was told he is a senior engineering resource but he does not seem to have any more technical knowledge than a college student. He was clueless about everything I asked and was absent from work way too often. When he is present sometimes, he was pushing for updates in an intrusive manner as if I am the slacker.

Advice to Management

Assign better mentor for the interns. I feel that your organization has a severe lack of talent and assigned me the crappiest engineer I have ever seen