U-Haul Reviews in Houston, TX | Glassdoor

3.5
U-Haul CEO Joe Shoen
Joe Shoen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I was able to work from home but had the opportunity to go into the office if I wanted to (in 92 reviews)

• Position is part-time (moonlighter, if you will) which is what I prefer (in 58 reviews)

Cons
  • Not many part-time job openings (in 60 reviews)

• No full time positions; no health coverage (in 47 reviews)

1. "Good Training"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Houston, TX

I worked at U-Haul part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pace for training in customer service, sales, logistics

Cons

The pay is rather low

Advice to Management

Get rid of the older, dying trucks a bit sooner than later so a stressed out customer doesn't have to unload and load another vehicle more than they should.

"Great Manager experience"

Current Employee - General Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - General Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at U-Haul full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

By far the best benefits plan

Cons

Long hours if you are long to get rich don't bother. When they say it is your store to command it is. Small payroll so be prepared to work a lot kf hours. Very low hiring rate not a lot of people look to uhaul for a company to work for. Don't expect to have a social life or a family time. Expect to work weekends or be on call after hours.

Advice to Management

If you want good quality people to work for you. Pay them well. Supply them with the tools they need to run a store with highly trained personal.

3. "Great part-time job"

Former Employee - Reservations Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Reservations Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at U-Haul (More than a year)

Pros

As a part-time reservations manager, I was able to manage my time with work, college, and family. Whenever I needed so extra time to study, I could ask for a day off in advance and my boss always understood.

Cons

It can be stressful and customers can be rude, but I learned how to manage every situation with respect

4. "keep up with the good work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at U-Haul part-time (More than a year)

Pros

great place to work part time

Cons

none none none none none

Advice to Management

drug test your employees when they get hired and do more random drug test more often because the about 5 of the 25 employees smoke weed on the job on company property and do it in the trucks too in mco 746

5. "Customer service"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Houston, TX

I worked at U-Haul (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people great work environment

Cons

Angry customers ,angry customers

Advice to Management

None

6. "CSR only $9 hour"

Current Employee - CAR in Kingwood, TX
    Current Employee - CAR in Kingwood, TX

I have been working at U-Haul part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great part time job for students, decent pay, great bosses friendly environment

Cons

My location can't work more than 25 hours no benefits only part-time CSR

Advice to Management

Get pay raises as we are supposed to

"General Manager"

Former Employee - General Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - General Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at U-Haul full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The customers are the most creative and interesting part of the job. You have people who sincerely appreciate your efforts to help them to others who are completely stressed out and unable to keep their emotions in check. If you can step back and learn how to laugh you will have lots of fun.

You do have the latitude to do good on the company's behalf. You can help people and not be chewed out for it.

Cons

You will be working sixty hours a week on a small salary compared to industry and occupational standards. There will be times you will be earning less than your lowest paid employee yet all the responsibility is on you.

You will have no work life balance. If a customer calls because they cannot get into their storage unit at 3:00 AM, corporate will call you at 3:00 AM and ask you to go up to the store and let the customer in. If an employee calls off on your day off and because you have a small wage budget, either you go in or the production at the store suffers, customers complain and your MCP will call you out. You will not get any holidays off nor will you be paid extra for them. They are closed on Christmas day, but you may get customer calls. Your MCP will grill you for not helping a customer our on that day.

You will be told by corporate that you have ten personal days but your MCP will tell you that you can never use those types of days.

You will never be told thanks by your direct upper management or told how much they appreciate you. You will live your life on edge because you never know, nor will be warned, when they decide to fire you.

If you get injured on the job, file a workplace injury, corporate may agree to work restrictions but your MCP will not abide by it. Your MCP will then discipline you for not doing your job even though you are following the corporate job restrictions.

Advice to Management

Company touts the lowest cost when it comes to moving, which is true. But, the company is not the lowest cost when it comes to storage. It is very hard to differentiate the quality of storage against local competitors to justify the extremely higher costs. When the customers are telling you the prices are too high, and the market surveys indicate the store's prices are the highest in the market, no wonder occupancy is in issue. You cannot sell people something they do not want to pay for, especially when they have a choice.

MCPs must be able to lead people and not by fear and intimidation. My MCP was a bully and took advantage of everyone who worked for him. All of us GMs and our employees lived in fear because he was hypercritical. MCP has no emotional intelligence or leadership skills. He would come in and criticise everything, and would never apologize if he was actually wrong.

8. "Bait and switch"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Houston, TX

I have been working at U-Haul part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Uhaul does offer benefits including limited medical and dental as well as life insurance policies to even part-time employees.

Cons

Little in the way of advancement despite promises. Advancement too dependent on the opinions of often undependable GMs. MCPs often unaware of what is really going on.

Advice to Management

More opportunity for advancement for long-time part-time workers.

"Assistant manager"

Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at U-Haul (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible shifts, easy computer programs, fast and easy training. Clean showroom.

Cons

Major network problems, all systems are connected to one server in Arizona for a nationwide connection. Working in all types of weather.

"customer service rep"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in League City, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in League City, TX

I have been working at U-Haul part-time (More than a year)

Pros

good exercise, flexible work schedule

Cons

stressful if a busy location, must work in weather, often working alone while customers pile up, lots of information to learn, no benefits, pay is minimum wage, They don't care about employees only the bottom line

Advice to Management

consider not paying the legal minimum