U-Haul Reviews in Phoenix, AZ | Glassdoor

2.5
U-Haul CEO Joe Shoen
Joe Shoen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I was able to work from home but had the opportunity to go into the office if I wanted to (in 92 reviews)

• Position is part-time (moonlighter, if you will) which is what I prefer (in 58 reviews)

Cons
  • Not many part-time job openings (in 60 reviews)

• No full time positions; no health coverage (in 47 reviews)

1. "Work From Home Center Sales"

Current Employee - Call Center Sales Agent in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Call Center Sales Agent in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at U-Haul part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best thing about this position is the nonexistent commute. People who like to work on their own with only rare interactions with other employees, including supervisors and management might like this job. Sales are easy, with customers calling in with specific needs.

Cons

Little feedback from management unless negative, Strict schedule with little flexibility, no pto, vacation, sick, or holiday pay, no interaction with co-workers, no opportunity for advancement, and only a couple meaningful benefits (vision care and 401k). Very fast paced incoming calls, not all of which are sales and can affect your bottom line. This job can be mentally exhausting. There are no guaranteed hours, in the winter the hours drop to 10-15 a week, in the summer, up to 40.

Advice to Management

Interact with your team, engage them in discussion, and create ways to facilitate communication between team members. Find opportunities to provide encouragement and positive feedback. Recognize them as individual humans instead of just gears on a cog.

2. "Corporate Recruiter"

Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at U-Haul full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture, benefits and growth opportunity are amazing!

Cons

The could use some updates with their systems, but they're already working on that. Also, covered parking for all employees.

3. "System Engineer"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at U-Haul full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work life balance, Good intimidate management

Cons

Pay for IT does not match current market value.

4. "Gender Discrimination"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at U-Haul full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits are great, health insurance, 401K and good pay.

Cons

If you want to get hired, move up, change positions you better be the right gender. Most jobs here require you to be a specific sex to hold that title. If you want to be a GM you better be male, want to drive a UBox delivery truck gotta be female, work in the warehouse, male. People are way overworked here but don't complain about working 14 hours in a day because all you will hear is 'make it happen'

Advice to Management

Cut out the gender roles here there are men and women perfectly qualified to do a great job but they were born with the wrong organs. Its 2017!

"Great for students."

Current Employee - Work From Home Customer Servive Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at U-Haul part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working from home. Very lenient attendance policy. Opportunity to give away scheduled shifts and also pick up other ppls unwanted shifts to get extra hours.

Cons

They will only work around your school schedule based on what you submit from your school such as an official schedule with your class times. So say you want to get to school an hour or 2 early to study with a group u-haul will not accomodate time off for studying.

Advice to Management

None

6. "Equipment Recovey Dept"

Former Employee - Citation Specialist in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Citation Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at U-Haul full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great team makes the job bearable.

Cons

Sups and Mgr never in the office. Communication is terrible and the dept has a hard time retaining employees.

Advice to Management

Be more available.

"Work Harder, Not Smarter"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at U-Haul full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, good equipment, building being renovated

Cons

Low workload (days where there is nothing to do), lack of employee growth, employees aren't valued, the company is stuck in the stone age on certain aspects, and the parking situation for corporate is a mess (you shouldn't have to walk down the block in 120 heat to an uncovered car.

Advice to Management

You don't need 2 buildings full of people doing nothing. Realistically the company only needs a few floors of people and the rest can work from home. Trust your employees. Also streamline your processes, many teams in these buildings aren't allowed to communicate and collaborate. Right now there are 2 leaders in the company, they tend to squabble and not communicate efficiently enough. Have 1 person make the choices and have the other do something else.

8. "Crushes Creativity"

Current Intern - Intern - Hourly in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Intern - Intern - Hourly in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at U-Haul as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

- Slow pace
    - Few deadlines

Cons

- Interns expected to stay silent in and their opinion is deemed worthless - even on our own work
    - The company culture smothers any form of innovation from the lower ranks - the people higher on the ladder's word passed as law
    - The management structure hasn't changed for 30 years. The beaurocracy is unbelievable

"Very poorly managed and unprofessional software dev team"

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at U-Haul full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They offer stick options annually which is always nice. They other benefits are not as good as they might seem. No vacation for the first 12 months of employment. Then only 2 weeks per year until you've been there for at least 5 years

Cons

To many veterans. They don't want fresh blood, they want facsimiles of thier existing staff. They offer no means to grasp what it is you are supposed to be doing or how it's supposed to integrate with what they've already got. Also, if you use more sick days than they personally like you get dropped. Regardless of the fact you are given 10 per calendar year. I used less than 10 but more than my manager liked do I was let go without any warning.

Advice to Management

Make your expectations clear and actually function as a team. I barely saw or spoke to my dev manager or lead developer. And if you aren't allowed to take sick days then make sure you don't tell your employees that they can. I was completely blindsided and confused when I was let go and the only detail on my perceived lack of performance was that I've used more sick days in 3 months than most have in 3 years. However, I never exceeded they amount I was told I could take.

"Don't accept job offer"

Current Employee - Contact Center Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Contact Center Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at U-Haul part-time (More than a year)

Pros

$10.00 and hr + $12 if (big if) you make 3-4 sales an hr

Cons

EVERYTHING. Customers call in to cuss at and mistreat you. Cause Uhaul is stupid they refuse to "qualify" calls (when a customer calls in there's no "press 1 to make a reservation, press 2 for CustomerCare")
    So then after getting hardly any reservations and not consistently getting a 3.25 average they threaten to fire you for something out of your control.

Advice to Management

Put a menu on the call in!!!!