U-Haul Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
U-Haul CEO Joe Shoen
Joe Shoen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I was able to work from home but had the opportunity to go into the office if I wanted to (in 92 reviews)

• Position is part-time (moonlighter, if you will) which is what I prefer (in 58 reviews)

Cons
  • Not many part-time job openings (in 60 reviews)

• No full time positions; no health coverage (in 47 reviews)

1. "Terrible! All they do is give employees the run around."

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Smithtown, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Smithtown, NY

I have been working at U-Haul full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good labor experience, propane certification, and hitch with wiring installment experience. Fork lift certificationand storage workplace experieence are good for anywhere you go

Cons

Low pay, crappy hours, tells multiple employees the same position is theirs. Honestly they need to get it together. The customers are always rude

Advice to Management

Recognize the hard workers

"If you don't have bills..."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Dallas, TX

I worked at U-Haul full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home,no driving to work.

Cons

Management is terrible, highly unorganized, terrible pay, get yelled at by customers constantly, get no support from anyone

Advice to Management

Work on actually getting things done from Customer Action Files

3. "Over-worked"

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at U-Haul full-time (More than a year)

Pros

we get reimbursed for going to the gym

Cons

even though we get reimbursed for going to the gym, if you are out of shape or don't have a physical in time you get stuck paying for everyone who is unhealthy. Along with that there is literally no time off, no work life balance and I barely ever see my family!

Advice to Management

Stop over working the managers and pay them more!

"Frustrating to say the least"

Current Employee - Contact Center
    Current Employee - Contact Center

I have been working at U-Haul part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You do get to work from home, which is nice. The bonuses on completed reservations also makes a nice addition to the paycheck, but that whole system is a Catch 22 (read on). Due to high turn over, management seems to work with you on absences, although you will receive performance plans if they consider it excessive. I don't think they can afford to keep losing agents.

Cons

When you go through training, it will be emphasized over and over that this is not customer service, but customers sales. That's fine, except 50-75% of your day will be spent doing customer service.... confirming existing reservations, taking storage payments, trouble-shooting. When you get reservation calls, DO NOT deviate from the script one bit! Your calls are monitored and if you deviate, you will be told about it. It doesn't matter if following the script is irritating the customer, modifying how you handle the call to please the customer is frowned upon. It seems that customers are viewed as numbers and are not important.

The base pay is unlivable. They will reel you in by telling you that you can make up to $18/hour in reservation bonuses, but don't believe them. You have no control over the type of calls you receive and as I said, 50-75% of your calls will be non-reservation based calls. And if you fall below 3.25 reservations per hour, you will receive a performance improvement plan.

Communication is very non-existent. I was with the company 6 months and still finding out information I should have known from the beginning.

There are some downsides to working from home. When things slow down, wfh agents are the first to have their hours cut. You are also tethered to your computer, so this is not a work-from -home job where you can get things done around the house. Their wfh software that you are required to install on your personal computer is very intrusive. Seem suspicious as it monitors your activity.

Advice to Management

I have worked in customer sales and service for 20 years for fortune 500 companies and Uhaul had been the most frustrating by far. Treat your employees, including your wfh employees, as people and not numbers. Communication is absolutely awful. I had no idea what the procedure was the first time I needed to call in sick. Work from home agents need to know all the same company information as full time employees. Also, trust your agents to handle calls as they see fit. Some customers need to be handled with kid gloves and your system is not a one size fits all. When I went through training, it was said that the customer should feel as if they are talking to the location. If you are following a script, it's hard to make them feel like you know what you're talking about.

5. "U Haul Reservations Remote"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burtonsville, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burtonsville, MD

I worked at U-Haul full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home, min wage but when you make a reservation you get commission which is actually a nice piece of change

Cons

Call process is a headache, dealing with dealers with no equipment while trying to promise a reservation

6. "Pay is ridiculous"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at U-Haul part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy to get hired at U-Haul

Cons

Large workload for very low pay, high turnover

Advice to Management

Workers need to be paid for the huge workload. Fast food makes more

7. "Gender Discrimination"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at U-Haul full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits are great, health insurance, 401K and good pay.

Cons

If you want to get hired, move up, change positions you better be the right gender. Most jobs here require you to be a specific sex to hold that title. If you want to be a GM you better be male, want to drive a UBox delivery truck gotta be female, work in the warehouse, male. People are way overworked here but don't complain about working 14 hours in a day because all you will hear is 'make it happen'

Advice to Management

Cut out the gender roles here there are men and women perfectly qualified to do a great job but they were born with the wrong organs. Its 2017!

8. "Part-time"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative (CSR)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative (CSR)

I have been working at U-Haul part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Customer oriented if you love working with customers personally, majority of time spent in A/C'd office.

Cons

Busiest in the summer, GM is not giving bonuses (PCP) to his employee's (including myself) and there is 4 of us CSR's. Some customers are extremely rude. If short on staff, you get full-time hours at part-time pay. Have not received a raise at my 3 month and past.

Advice to Management

Share bonus as advertised in hiring tags. OTHERWISE, would not work here again.

"Too much for Too little"

I have been working at U-Haul part-time

Pros

Flexible work schedule (sometimes). Ability to be outside or inside.

Cons

Too much for for too little money. Company expects you to do the job of 5 people so they can save money. Then they critique your work poorly. No incentives for move up. "Family" environment means no promotions unless you are related to someone.

Advice to Management

Hire more people. You can't have one person run a single store and do everything that needs to be done.

10. "No method to the madness"

Former Employee - Porter in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Porter in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at U-Haul full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great GM Mr Prince was transitioning into the New GM.

Cons

When I was employed there, there was no "so" in place. I worked their during the transition from one GM to another.

Advice to Management

Read the Company's SOP and do not digress.