U-Haul Reviews | Glassdoor

U-Haul Reviews

Updated July 21, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I was able to work from home but had the opportunity to go into the office if I wanted to (in 84 reviews)

• If you are looking for Part Time then the fact that everyone has to start at PT is a pro (in 57 reviews)

Cons
  • Not many part-time job openings (in 59 reviews)

• They do not pay well & hard to get full time hours (in 44 reviews)

"Ehhh if you dont mind hypocrisy"

Former Employee - Reservation Sales Agent in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Reservation Sales Agent in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at U-Haul part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Pay if you can make 5-7 reservations an hour.

Cons

Read verbiage word for word, do not add words or try to make reservations. Do things exactly as UHaul prescribes them.

Advice to Management

Fire Corporate

"Threats, Intimidation and lied to from day 1"

Former Employee - PM Technician in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - PM Technician in Anchorage, AK

I worked at U-Haul full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fellow mechanics were helpful in troubleshooting. I enjoyed working with them and learning a bit more every day. The paycheck didn't bounce. I enjoyed this job, if it wasn't for one man. His treatment of me affected every aspect of my life. Mental, emotional, spiritual, physical, (even sexual) my self esteem evaporated, he called. I was never told once I did well even though early on I led the shop for the better part of a month in proficiency. The Best Pro about U-Haul is that I had the legal right to pack up my tools and leave.

Cons

I was threatened with firing from my second day on the job-(I'm a university trained mechanic) he called me stupid to my face, accused me of being on drugs when I had test results from a recent hospital visit that would have proven otherwise. I was told to move fast one moment, then told to move slow the next moment. Company policy is if lug nuts are not torqued properly-you're automatically fired, no second chance. A mechanic did this, and instead of disciplinary action he was promoted. The direct supervisor plays favorites-using fear, and even using a medical leave protected under FMLA as a weapon against me. He was immature, sexually and racially suggestive and verbally abused me, and 4 of 5 times we spoke, it was because I either made a mistake or I did something that just irritated him and he wanted me to know about it. He targeted me and two other mechanics. Two of us, since beginning working there, have fallen into depression and anxiety. When either of us stood up for ourselves, he made our lives miserable, and doubled down his efforts to let us know of his hatred. I was the second mechanic in 3 months to walk off the job. I hated this job.My direct supervisor said he didn't want me wearing earplugs until I began working my duties, but that meant I would be subject to hearing loss from other people's work. I despise this man and his lying, and bullying.

Advice to Management

For the Anchorage, AK repair shop... Replaced with someone who isn't going to use fear and intimidation to get performance from employees. This direct supervisor is a manipulative, threatening narcissist. He lied to me about my health insurance and I wound up sick and having to pay out of pocket. He lied to me about the outlook of one of the training programs on the uhaul website. I started my time there with fantastic performance, which only degraded over time as he broke me down through his process. He won't take no for an answer, and expects that if he demands something to be done, he won't listen to alternatives. One employee had enough, and put in his two week notice after finding another job-he was fired on the spot. This man at the Anchorage AK repair shop is a bully-but not just any bully, a super bully, who is very skilled at avoiding detection and covering his tracks and behavior. Before working for him I was generally stress free and as he began his militaristic process of breaking me down, I am now being treated for generalized anxiety (I've never walked off a job in my life). BOTTOM LINE ADVICE-WHEN YOU HAVE TWO MECHANICS WALK OFF THE JOB IN THREE MONTHS-THERE IS A PROBLEM THAT ISN'T THE MECHANICS.

3. "Love it!"

Current Employee - Call Center Sales Agent in Albany, GA
    Current Employee - Call Center Sales Agent in Albany, GA

I have been working at U-Haul part-time

Pros

You get bonus for reservations, which is almost on every call. The trainers I've had are awesome, and is willing to do what it take for your success. Plus over-time availability.

Cons

No cons for me, love the job.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Center Sales"

Former Employee - Call Center Sales Agent in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Call Center Sales Agent in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at U-Haul part-time (More than a year)

Pros

you are helping people during a difficult time

Cons

they violate labor laws, they punish good performance so you won't ask for a raise, they drop your hours to 10 per week in the winter and expect overtime in the summer, requesting time off is virtually impossible

Advice to Management

hiring mills create non-trackable losses, it is so much more cost effective to invest in your human resources instead of use them like slaves

"HOSTILE WORK ENVIRONMENT"

Former Employee - Sales Reserva in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Reserva in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at U-Haul part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are no pros here.

Cons

There is absolutely no respect here between upper management and employees in working in the call center. NEVER feel that your employer has the RIGHT to BELITTLE, SHAME, or be CONDESCENDING to you OR TAKE AWAY your pay that you worked hard for. This is ABSOLUTELY a VIOLAION of workplace ethics. Uhaul is NO EXCEPTION to this rule and you being a WAH employee does not mean that abuse has to be tolerated. If you are an EMPLOYEE you have every right to work in a HOSTILE FREE WORKPLACE.

Advice to Management

When employees start walking, they're actually talking. You can choose to ignore as they walk out the door.

"Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at U-Haul full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good advancement opportunities, flexible for part-time members

Cons

Long management hours, "customer is ALWAYS right attitude", little to no job security, high turnover, high demand for such small staffing

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and treat them as more than just numbers. Allow more employees to meet both demand and safety.

"GM ATL"

Current Employee - General Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at U-Haul full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good benefits, awesome co workers, fun job, always doing something time goes fast

Cons

only care about numbers, nothing else, not even you or your team. very dissapointing

Advice to Management

Too much pressure is being put into the centers.

8. "Customer Service Representative"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Sacramento, CA

I worked at U-Haul part-time (More than a year)

Pros

U-Haul is thorough and trains their employees well.

Cons

The hours aren't the best

Advice to Management

Hire more full time employees.

9. "keep up with the good work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at U-Haul part-time (More than a year)

Pros

great place to work part time

Cons

none none none none none

Advice to Management

drug test your employees when they get hired and do more random drug test more often because the about 5 of the 25 employees smoke weed on the job on company property and do it in the trucks too in mco 746

"Poor trainers, rickety rental equipment and crappy computer software programs."

Former Employee - Roadside Assistance Agent in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Roadside Assistance Agent in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at U-Haul part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None, well there is a cafeteria downstairs where one can grab a quick lunch at a decent price in the building.

Cons

Managers think that because they have a title they can be condescending to newer employees. Lousy training, crap computer software programs and uHaul vehicles break down very often.
    Managers are over worked and stressed. Not a fun job. HR will lie to hire new employees and then proceed to let managers callously abuse them.

It was like working for a 3rd rate oversize flea market with too many self appointed chiefs doing very little and no Indians to get a simple job done.

Managers do well at fault funding and have very little empathy for the consumers or their team members.

Advice to Management

Sell Uhaul to Penske, get out of the business . Uhaul will be done in a few short years at the rate they're going. It's no wonder The Shoen Family who ownes the company at one were suing each other. The company is a mess.