U.S. Bureau of Reclamation Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "BOR"

Former Employee - Civil Engineering Technician in Bismarck, ND
    Former Employee - Civil Engineering Technician in Bismarck, ND

I worked at U.S. Bureau of Reclamation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Family Friendly
    Professional
    Great Training
    Great Benefits, Health Insurance, Leave, Sick Leave, Retirement
    Flexible work schedule
    Current Technology

Cons

Lower than industry salary
    Subject to to Government shutdowns

Advice to Management

Spend less time in meetings

2. "Washington, DC office"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at U.S. Bureau of Reclamation full-time

Pros

There are good benefits and job security. Many employees care about the mission and work hard to do their part.

Cons

The work environment fosters division among different groups. There is an element of secrecy in upper-management that can be difficult to penetrate.

Advice to Management

Management needs to be more inclusive and transparent. It would be helpful for all staff to be invited to the weekly all staff meeting, not only the 20 or so individuals who are invited to attend. It would foster a more inclusive environment if all employees understood how their work helps the mission and could hear about what is happening throughout the Bureau.

3. "Mechanical Engineer"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at U.S. Bureau of Reclamation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Home/work balance, Flexible hours, Low stress, Travel

Cons

Low pay
    No mentor-ship
    Red tape
    Little creative direction

4. "Great Mission- Systemic Bullying in the Policy Office"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at U.S. Bureau of Reclamation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers and field office staff. The benefits are great and I was afforded the opportunity to work on exciting projects. I developed a number of skills that really benefited me when I was searching for a new position.

Cons

There is a systemic problem with bullying and favoritism in the Policy Office. Inappropriate condescending behavior is condoned, if not promoted, and as a result employee turnover is high. When an employee decides to leave as a result of this they are blamed, labeled entitled, or accused of imagining the situation. No work has been done to evaluate this concern despite repeated allegations by numerous employees.

Advice to Management

Read exit interviews when people leave (and ensure you offer one) and take complaints more seriously. Reclamation is doing great, exciting work. I loved my job and 99% of my co-workers. Don't let one rotten apple push out other high performers. It is costly for the organization and to Reclamation's mission.

5. "Park Ranger"

Former Employee - Park Ranger in Napa, CA
    Former Employee - Park Ranger in Napa, CA

I worked at U.S. Bureau of Reclamation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Simple tasking's with little accountability at a beautiful location with decent weather and a uniform.

Cons

Unprofessional attitudes, to many people holding information close to their chests, little group efforts or assistance in projects.

Advice to Management

Hire more quality seasonal personnel and either motivate more static employees with longer tenure or move them on to other positions

"Worst Organization Ever Encountered as an Employee"

Pros

Reclamation's mission and special statutory authority granted by Congress is visionary. Unfortunately there is a huge disconnect between the vision and implementation.

Cons

With 20 years management experience in Fortune 100 companies and many years as a federal employee, I was astonished and extremely disappointed to find Reclamation is the most poorly run organization I have ever encountered.

Advice to Management

Audit your field offices. Stop allowing favoritism.

7. "A good place to work, if you are an engineer/technical person"

Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Willows, CA
    Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Willows, CA

I have been working at U.S. Bureau of Reclamation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is never a dull moment working at a water agency in CA. Plenty of work for engineers, especially Civil Engineers. Most all higher up managers are engineers so there is upward mobility for engineers. Good benefits and paid holidays. The work is challenging and there is always something new to learn.

Cons

It's the government, so there are things you have to deal with that involve a lot of red tape and regulation. It can be quite ridiculous and frustrating to deal with. Also, it seems there are two types of employees at Reclamation; those who are excellent and motivated, and those that are the complete opposite. The lazy ones are deserving of the typical "government worker" stereotype. Most are good, but the few bad ones can really cause headaches.

At my particular office, they are not at all good at communicating expectations. You are handed work, and expected to figure it out with no guidance, mentors, or training. Training is too general to be useful. It's sink or swim at Reclamation.

Advice to Management

Provide useful training for your employees, not just training you are required to provide as CYA for the government. Clearly communicated the expectations you have of your employees.

8. "Good Group of People"

Current Employee - Engineer in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Engineer in Boise, ID

I have been working at U.S. Bureau of Reclamation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I got lucky and was able to land a position at a really fantastic office. The people you work with can make or break a job, and everyone here is easy to get along with. I like the opportunity to see the different dams in our area.

Cons

Typical government job which requires relentless stupid training on all things PC.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

"Stable, but a little boring"

Current Employee - Mech Engineer in Lakewood, CO
    Current Employee - Mech Engineer in Lakewood, CO

I have been working at U.S. Bureau of Reclamation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits and work life balance

Cons

Repetitive and you feel pigeon holed

Advice to Management

Not sure where the organization is going

10. "A nice place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Pros

It's a nice place to work. The benefits and flexibility that are afforded to employees are nice. There are opportunties to work on diverse projects and gain some good knowledge and experience.

Cons

The leadership and many of the engineers are quite conservative. They keep work close to themselves and would rather say nothing than take the credit for good work. They try not to "rock the boat" but by saying nothing it gets rocked.