U.S. Cellular Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

3.6
U.S. Cellular President & CEO Kenneth R. Meyers
Kenneth R. Meyers

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexible work-day and a strong work-life balance (in 86 reviews)

• The company offers great benefits (in 135 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is not the best (in 92 reviews)

• Customer service usually takes the brunt of a dishonest sales associate (as with most other customer service positions) (in 34 reviews)

"Good company"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at U.S. Cellular full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, fast paced and exciting work.

Cons

Can get political at times, but that happens every where. Plays in the space with big competitors, so always risky business

Advice to Management

Keep up the momentum of keeping up with the competition

2. "Pillars"

Former Employee - Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at U.S. Cellular full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of work and chiefs

Cons

Not enough underlings, causing multiple tasks in short amount of time

Advice to Management

Listen to inter departmental advice

"Uphill battle"

I have been working at U.S. Cellular full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fair compensation, especially considering the financial realities of the company. BCBS. Contribution to pension plan. People care about the business.

Cons

5th horse in a 4 horse race. Uncertain future. Culture a bit cult-like. Very broad strategy that can be applied to any company.

Advice to Management

Narrow the focus and strategy. Be willing to kill the sacred cows. The world has changed and what great customer service means has changed. Admit we are not equipped to provide world class customer service without making some changes.

"Director"

Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at U.S. Cellular full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good communication, some good people. Benefits and days off are numerous

Cons

Published culture is not how people act, so it feels fake. Senior execs way too involved in day to day. We are always chasing the competition rather than setting my direction. Little interest to change due to no risk taking culture.

Advice to Management

Review the D.O. to be sure it is in practice. Hire younger folks and hire more outsiders for fresh ideas. Accept culture of change and actually help drive it. Feels like you're good with change with no risk and no new hires and it wont come that way.

"Great place to work, at least for the next few years"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at U.S. Cellular full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture. Excellent leadership on the brand team, from senior manager, to senior director, to VP. Very good growth opportunities & stretch assignments are always available for someone willing to put in more effort/time. A great place to learn, grow your skills, and take on impressive projects that are fulfilling.

Pay is great for the area.

Good work-life balance most of the time. When large/important projects are going on, you'll be expected to put in extra time, but it pays off over the year - the department is very respectful of family time, including last-minute issues that make you work from home, come in late, or take off early.

Cons

The C-Suite leadership is awful. They are unreliable - won't commit to important projects or quick-turn promotions until risk is fully proven, which in this industry isn't usually possible. They are fully unwilling to take risks, which puts us far behind the competition, both in terms of customer acquisition and retention. They also make this company move incredibly slowly because they won't delegate any decision-making to appropriate team leaders or VPs, who are well-equipped to make the decision. Nothing can move forward without Ken getting his say.

C-Suite leadership promotes an unhealthy culture that my team is lucky to escape since our VP seems to bear most of that load, by not allowing his team to be committed to ridiculous deadlines or workloads. C-Suite politics trickle down and cause political issues across the whole organization.

C-Suite only feels beholden to shareholders, not to the customers or employees, so their focus is on dividends and stock prices (short term) instead of investment and happy employees/customers (long term). For that reason, my long term outlook for this company is negative.

The network, which is our claim to fame, is falling behind the competition. Competitors are entering our rural, loyal markets with impressive promotions and winning customers away, and our retention plays are weak.

Our website & web experience & online technologies are LIGHTYEARS behind the competition, and consumers notice. It's like we're still in 2005.

Advice to Management

Change your priorities. Take a good look at the industry. If you want to exist in 10 years, be willing to take risks, invest more in areas of the company that matter most to customers, and do things that are NEW and INNOVATIVE, not just copying the competition 2 years later.

6. "Great company but not for accountants"

Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Chicago, IL

I worked at U.S. Cellular full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

friendly people, great benefits including tuition reimbursement

Cons

No career advancement opportunities; work life balance hard to achieve

"A Company That Reveres the Status Quo"

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at U.S. Cellular full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

USCC does respect work/life balance if you work in the main corporate office; not so much for retail or call center staff. Corporate office salaries are fairly close to market standard for Chicago. Some opportunities for growth and development depending on the department you work in.

Cons

C-level leadership is out of touch with rank and file. Their annual pilgrimage to the field belies the fact that they don't know what is happening under their noses. The corporate culture (known as the Dynamic Organization) has suffered greatly in the past few years becoming just a poster on conference room walls. It's given a lot of lip service, but no longer practiced by anyone in management. Too many in management are looking to climb the corporate ladder and are willing to step on or over anyone. Layoffs for no reason other than to pad a department's bottom line are too common.

Advice to Management

Wake up and pay attention to what is going on. Revive the DO and return to actually practicing it. Listen to the good and bad from the annual Culture Survey. Your actions prove you ignore the bad and overrate the good.

8. "Best Job Ever"

Current Employee - Network Operations in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Network Operations in Chicago, IL

I have been working at U.S. Cellular full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, culture even with accountability in play!

Cons

Not enough locations across the country to contribute!

"Things Changed in Short Period of Time"

Former Employee - Intranet Web Developer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Intranet Web Developer in Chicago, IL

I worked at U.S. Cellular full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When I started working there this company was at its peak. The employees excitement about the company reminded me of a homecoming celebration.

Cons

After a year and a half working a US Cellular, there were several reorgs, talks of being bought out by another company, downsizing, and outsourcing.

Advice to Management

Be real with your employees and keep your employees in the light.

"Ok but not great"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at U.S. Cellular full-time

Pros

Salary was good and benefits

Cons

Department and manager- no life work balance

Advice to Management

Conference calls at 2 am should not be ok unless you have stores abroad or with a huge time difference. My boss made them mandatory as she did a lot of her catch up in the middle of the night. No life/work balance.

Showing 287 of 1,217 reviews