U.S. Cellular Reviews in Des Moines, IA | Glassdoor

Des Moines, IA

U.S. Cellular President & CEO Kenneth R. Meyers
Kenneth R. Meyers

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexible work-day and a strong work-life balance (in 87 reviews)

• The company offers great benefits (in 136 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is not the best (in 93 reviews)

• Customer service usually takes the brunt of a dishonest sales associate (as with most other customer service positions) (in 35 reviews)

"They are concerned about sales while pretending to be concerned about the customer experience"

Current Employee - Retail Wireless Consultant in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at U.S. Cellular full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay is good if you can sell. If you aren't good at sales then this job isn't for you.

Cons

They continue to raise quotas month over month without giving you any promotions to help you actually meet your quota.

2. "Overworked"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Des Moines, IA

I worked at U.S. Cellular (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Pay and Lots customer facing time

Cons

Overworked, unreasonable expectation of 60+ hours per week

3. "Great Work Environment"

Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at U.S. Cellular (More than 10 years)

Pros

benefits, tuition reimbursement, unlimited earning potential in sales, 401k and pension options community involvement, embrace diversity and inclusion, leadership enhancement programs.

Cons

Retail hours are a big commitment, especially during the holidays. Quota expectations rise year over year in a seemingly saturated market. Tasks and responsibilities are placed on leadership while positions essential to these duties have been eliminated.

Advice to Management

Focus on what is at the core of the organization, the values and the behaviors. Continue to focus on the front-line while recognizing the contributions of the leadership teams.

"Retail Wireless Consultant"

Current Employee - Retail Wireless Consultant in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at U.S. Cellular full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Potential to make money if you can land a lot of new lines. (Quotas are constantly being raised though.)
    - Met a lot of awesome people around the company
    - Good service in most Midwest states
    - Company tries to have good values, although they don't always hold to them.

Cons

- Took somewhere between a 10k-20k pay cut when they implemented new pay structures
    - Company keeps driving up quotas, demanding more out of associates, and finding ways to cut pay
    - Typical crappy retail work schedule. Full-time never gets any time to themselves outside of work.
    - Turnover in stores is unreal due to the constant change and bad corporate atmosphere in stores. Most people are either looking for a new job or already found one.
    - Company prides itself on the "Dynamic Organization" which is good, but I would say it hardly holds true in most stores.
    - The company does a "Culture Survey" which gives employees the chance to give feedback, but the things that are truly presented as issues they just ignore. (i.e. the computer system which was designed by a bunch of 5th graders)

Advice to Management

- Stop drinking the company Kool-Aid. Every change that gets implemented in stores is not a good change!
    - Corporate management - Listen to your employees! They are all frustrated and quitting because nobody in the company will stand up for them. Everyone is afraid to speak up about all the REAL issues because they will just get canned.

"review"

Current Employee - RF Engineer in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - RF Engineer in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at U.S. Cellular part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

culture, work environment,salary,benefit, working time

Cons

every work is a new challenge

Advice to Management

its perfect

"Was great at first, then everything changed."

Former Employee - Retail Wireless Consultant in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Retail Wireless Consultant in Des Moines, IA

I worked at U.S. Cellular full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you were in a secluded area that your ASM doesn't get to often, the culture is great. You can have great managers who shield you from what's really going on. The pay is excellent and the benefits are great. They really reward high performers. They have a dynamic organizational model and used to actually believe in it.

Cons

They don't listen to employees when they scream for help. If you're in a hostile environment, HR will tell you that you're making up stories in your head. If you are working too much and getting burnt out, they don't care. Also, they fire people for no reason. I was not fired, but I saw many people go for things that were completely unexplained. "Your work is no longer needed here" is wrongful termination. From everyone you've fired in the Des Moines area, I can't believe you don't have a law suit on your hands. You can't just fire people because they make more than what you could pay some shmuck. They bring in management from T-Mobile that believes in winning and winning alone, even if it requires you to be unethical. USC used to care about it's customers, now they only care about money. Terrible hostility from management and too much pressure to do more than humanly possible.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Everyone deserves to have a voice, and you can't write of harassment and hostile work environment as fictional. DO NOT LET MANAGERS BE BEST BUDS WITH HR. That is a disaster! You need to get back to the DD and truly believe in it. You are letting your best people walk away from you after you give them all the tools and apply themselves at a company that cares about them. You have so much potential that you are wasting away for cheap labor.

"terrible"

Current Employee - Aasm in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Aasm in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at U.S. Cellular full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

the culture was what attracted me

Cons

the environment is what drove me away

"Backstabbing crooks only concerned about the bottom line"

Former Employee - Service Technician in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Service Technician in Des Moines, IA

I worked at U.S. Cellular full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Looking back there is only one pro to working there: The people I worked with "in the trenches" were some of the best people I have ever met.

Cons

NO work/life balance, poor merit increases even though you get an exceeds expectations review. Are more concerned with getting rid of the employees who have been there for awhile and replacing them with part time employees who get lower wages and less benefits

Advice to Management

get a clue, you will end up getting sued for wrongful dismissal eventually if this continues

"Always changing, though I feel it's negatively it may just be my pessimism"

Current Employee - Service Technician in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Service Technician in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at U.S. Cellular full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay, easy job, OT not required, vacation/sick/personal time provided.

Cons

Almost required to participate in sales. Upper management seems too money driven and less employee satisfaction driven

Advice to Management

Remember one of the core selling points of becoming an associate of USCC, WORK/LIFE BALANCE. It's almost non existent and it's only getting worse.

"Great learning opportunities & growth as a leader"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Des Moines, IA

Pros

Care about customers, our network, company cares about the associates, we do the right things for our customers. Our Benefit package, vacation time, work life balance

Cons

can work a lot of weekends if short staffed but overall, very happy

Showing 11 of 1,237 reviews