U.S. Cellular Reviews in Omaha, NE | Glassdoor

U.S. Cellular President & CEO Kenneth R. Meyers
Kenneth R. Meyers

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is not the best (in 90 reviews)

• No work/life balance and need a more thorough training program with implementing new ideas and systems (in 16 reviews)

"GREATEST JOB EVER (ISH)"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Omaha, NE

I worked at U.S. Cellular full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I don't know if I'll ever find a job that I loved as much as I had working there. (can be) some of the coolest coworkers and leaders (can be) truly amazing. (can be) awesome commissions if you work your tail off. At it's height of awesomeness my coworkers were all my best friends and my leaders would take a bullet for me.

Cons

Just as you learn the commission structure and how to excell at it (I made $70,000 2 years ago)...they go and change it so it dramatically cuts your earnings. On top of that, they make your direct leaders, whom you really really trust and like, lie to you and tell you that its for your good and you (can be) making more money now. Funny thing is, after working almost 15 hours more a week (near 55/week) and 6 - 7 days at times, and achieving 30% more sales,..I saw my earnings drop from $70 to $60...and went insane to make that. If you have the job and love it there....don't go nuts and do whatever it takes to work more hours and longer days - it'll bring you down. You will start to unravel and your success will evaporate.

Advice to Management

Direct leaders: you are the coolest leaders imaginable, without you the company would have no soul. Advice: when you let a great salesperson go because he is messing up - don't keep your foot on his head as he is sinking. Remember you were all once friends and it has permanent effects when it appears it could have all been fake. Upper management....haha,..I can't use profanity. Keep doing what you're doing and this company will be a soulless nothing,...and will loose its ability to stay relevant.

"Messy"

Current Employee - Retail Wireless Consultant in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Retail Wireless Consultant in Omaha, NE

Pros

Understanding about work life balance. Benefits are good but still pretty expensive. Associate phone is nice. Good amount of PTO, vacation and sick time.

Cons

The systems are outdated and slow compared to other carriers. Training was a joke. Management get more and more disappointing the higher it goes. Commission restructure decreased checks considerably. Hourly pay is a joke.

Advice to Management

Actually handle business. Get back to dynamic organization. When VP's come in to visit the store WEAR PROFESSIONAL ATTIRE, shake hands and introduce yourself. Pathetic.

3. "Great philosophy but..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I worked at U.S. Cellular full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The D.O. is great in theory....

Cons

The D.O. is great in theory. But values are subjective. With no agreed upon measuring stick, favoritism takes over and ethics are reframed to suit your leaders needs , be it #1 on a scorecard or a bigger bonus in a specific category. All it takes is for one person to form an opinion, and the culture, values go out the door. There is no review or checks and balances when leaders are unethical themselves. So they can do what they want with impunity so long as they play the game.

Advice to Management

Root out the mid-level managers who manipulate things by getting around them in the system. Find out what your sales are really like.

4. "Retail Wireless Consultant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I worked at U.S. Cellular full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

overtime, reasonable base-pay plus commission, company mission is ideal, flexibility, varying locations, new commission structure that made it easier for previously struggling employees

Cons

understaffed, work/life balance may be hectic to maintain, compensation structure, favoritism instead of results based decisions, management doesn't actively listen to employees when it comes to problems or concerns, commission structure that punished overachievers

Advice to Management

Actively listen to your employees voiced issues and concerns. Realize that diversity means more than sex, race, etc. just because two associates are on the same team does not mean that they will learn, understand, nor produce the same.

"A mixed bag"

Former Employee - Retail Wireless Consultant in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Retail Wireless Consultant in Omaha, NE

I worked at U.S. Cellular full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The money is great. If you are a "paper chaser" and self motivated, you will find success here.

Cons

Micromanagement...so much of it. At one point we were required to photocopy our records of customer interactions and hand them in like school children. And questioning these kinds of procedures leads to disciplinary action. In a word, management is ineffective. Most of them seem to be inexperienced managers. Those who aren't are few and far between. The feedback model at US Cellular is an immediate one. For ex, you go through a customer interaction and right after it happens, you get feedback on it. Don't bother asking for clarification on these sessions.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach. There is a strict requirement for employees to "use their books" yet managers literally never do. Managers also leave and come in whenever they want to. Lead by example.

"4 Years to the Positive, but Headed South"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Manager in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Manager in Omaha, NE

I worked at U.S. Cellular full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent Benefits for full and part-time work, positive culture, clear mission

Cons

Politics. Heavy on the politics. Most of the time, the front line folks are so well paid, they don't rally around the vision and mission anymore. They stick to themselves, and accountability is sacrificed for popularity.

Advice to Management

Revise the disciplinary process, or teach your mid-managers to fire people honestly and straight up. I was threatened with a PIP, and when I asked what it would entail, they had no idea and didn't know if they could help me. They would have had to fire me, because I had the "will", just not the "skill", and they didn't want to help me find it anymore. I wish they would have just said that instead of tooling around with me and my feelings.

Showing 6 of 1,188 reviews