Cover image for U.S. Department of State

U.S. Department of State

Engaged Employer

U.S. Department of State

Add a Review

U.S. Department of State Employee Reviews about "department of state"

4.0

4 stars

3 stars

2 stars

1 star

What are your colleagues talking about?

Find your exclusive Company Bowl™ on Community. Join the hottest conversation with your colleagues anonymously.
Join the Conversation

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor

Pros
  • "good benefits and(in 140 reviews)
  • "Great people; Intelligent and hardworking teammates on my team; State really pushes for optimum work(in 120 reviews)
  • "Some of my colleagues were great.(in 94 reviews)
  • "Great opportunity to get a clearance and exposure to the United States Government and Foreign Policy.(in 87 reviews)
  • "Job security was good.(in 44 reviews)
Cons
  • "far from your own country, poor management, difficult for singles AND married couples.(in 46 reviews)
  • "Long hours and the government bureaucracy(in 38 reviews)
  • "Federal bureaucracy and lots of red tape as a result; long security clearance process; internship was unpaid and abroad thereby incurring personal spending.(in 38 reviews)
  • "Poor leadership and accountability from senior staff.(in 35 reviews)
  • "Workaholic culture(in 31 reviews)

Ratings by Demographics

Want more options?

This rating reflects the overall rating of U.S. Department of State and is not affected by filters.

Verify your email to use filters. Having problems? Resend email

Found 30 of over 2K reviews

Updated Dec 1, 2023

Reviews about "department of state"

Return to all Reviews
      Feb 15, 2016
      Former Employee, less than 1 year
      Arlington, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Highly diverse work environment. Provides a lot of opportunity for exposure to other components within the state department. Senior management provides an environment conducive to professional development.

Cons

There seems to be a high turn over rate among support staff and senior management tends to change on a somewhat regular basis.

Oct 28, 2010
        IT Specialist
        Current Employee
        Business Outlook

Pros

For a government job, the benefits are fantastic. Excellent free housing overseas. Free education for under 18s. Great lifestyle and excellent pay. The training is top notch. The State Department has its own 'campus' and will give you plenty of training at government expense. Instruction can be a year or more if you are learing a foreign language. I don't regret a second I spent in the Department.

Cons

Having to uproot every two or three years is a real challange. It's very hard on families, especially children. Life can be tough in some Third World countries.

2. Join the U.S. Department of State team
        See Our Latest Jobs
        1. 3.0
          Aug 15, 2020
          Current Employee, more than 10 years
          Business Outlook

Pros

You will work on some of the most important global issues Excellent organization to work for if you're looking to advance your career. The majority of employees are focused and passionate. Multiple opportunities for growth (if you are allowed). The travel is great, and living and working overseas is a great honor

Cons

The US Department of State has one of the most important missions in the world but is mired in a leadership vacuum. So many top positions are unfilled or are filled by acting personnel just waiting out their terms that the mission is left to wait as nobody wants to put their name on a decision that could have fallout when they could just kick the decision down the road to the next acting manager. Bullies flourish in this environment, and the crony network rules all advancement paths. The organization is plagued with an internal caste, class, and overwhelming race issues. Great for minority women(the BEST), not so great for minority men (the Good Ol Boy network is in full effect). My recommendation would be this, get in early in your career, travel some to get a grasp of what we're up against in the world, spend enough time to build a reputation for yourself, then get out before you're locked into a poisonous niche.

May 25, 2016
            Former Employee
            Business Outlook

Pros

Great learning experience for those looking to get into the foreign service. Able to be involved with a lot of exciting work as an intern with plenty of support from FSO and other State Department staff.

Cons

Not many drawbacks to speak of. A stipend would have been nice for food and other expenses but other than that the work environment was great.

1. 3.0
              Aug 15, 2015
              Current Employee, more than 10 years
              Washington, DC
              Business Outlook

Pros

In the U.S. Foreign Service, you see the world, work on high level issues, have some truly amazing colleagues.

Cons

The system of management at the State Department is problematic There are significant written and unwritten rules. Assignments and promotions do not follow the stated rules at all, and the process of 'bidding' for your new job and location every two or three years is very stressful. Your life literally depends on these rules, and since they're applied more capriciously than you might thinkk, you never know when you're going to be on the good side or the bad side of the 'system.'

Jul 31, 2021
                Former Intern, less than 1 year
                Business Outlook

Pros

Good opportunity to learn about the workings of State Department personnel and the workings inside an embassy. People were very kind and welcoming. Also a great opportunity to travel.

Cons

The work was somewhat boring/ uninspiring, but I think that largely depends on whether or not you work in a very active post. I was working in the political and economic section of this embassy and the main work consists of writing cables to Washington about significant events happening in-country. Thus, if you're in a country where there aren't significant evolving events each day, the work can be very slow. Ridiculous that the internship is unpaid.

Nov 11, 2016
                  Consular Assistant - Sales Associate
                  Current Employee, more than 3 years
                  Santo Domingo
                  Business Outlook

Pros

Working as a EFM for department of state give me opportunity to travel many countries.

Cons

Been far away from my family

Sep 15, 2022
                    Senior Advisor
                    Current Employee
                    Business Outlook

Pros

There are some good opportunities for subject matter experts and administrative professionals at the Department of State.

Cons

There is a clear split between opportunities for Foreign and Civil Service, so be careful what you are applying for.

Oct 30, 2014
                      Current Intern, less than 1 year
                      Edinburgh, Scotland
                      Business Outlook

Pros

Ability to work on a diverse array of interesting projects and interact with high level government officials in the country to which you are posted.

Cons

There is a lot of bureaucracy within the State Department and this can be see in there slow adoption of technology. Some of the technology systems are built in house and are flat out terrible to work with.

Feb 3, 2014
                        Senior Assistant to the RSO
                        Current Employee, more than 3 years
                        Baghdad
                        Business Outlook

Pros

I was working for Department of State In Baghdad Iraq and the team I worked with over the past three years have been great. Time Off, Travel opportunities, and very good salary.

Cons

Unable to have my family with me and the separation over time becomes stressful. The country is not safe and therefore you are confined to specific locations.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 30 Reviews
                      </>Embed

Popular Careers with U.S. Department of State Job Seekers

JobsSalariesInterviews

Popular Conversations

Interview Tips

QC Specialist II

When someone says “We are eager to fill this position, we have no timeline but it should not drag out,” what are the chances I’m selected? This was at the third round interview, last Tue (5d ago) when I was told I should hear from HR next. The job was posted 30+ days ago. I applied for it on 10/22 and the interview process started 11/6 with an HR screening phone call.

IT Specialist

Passed 2 interviews with a board of education, they told me to wait for HR confirm and contact me , been 3 weeks since then, when should I expect to receive callbacks or emails??

Cloud Performance Engineering Lead

Workday interview tips needed. The role I am applying to is a site reliability engineer role. I am not sure what to expect. Of course it’s a technical role so I do expect those questions. I am wondering if they go extra hard and how many rounds? I read somewhere that they do 5 rounds. Either way any tips are@welcome.

0 Comments

Glassdoor has 2,377 U.S. Department of State reviews submitted anonymously by U.S. Department of State employees. Read employee reviews and ratings on Glassdoor to decide if U.S. Department of State is right for you.