U.S. Government Accountability Office Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
U.S. Government Accountability Office Comptroller General Eugene Louis Dodaro
Eugene Louis Dodaro

Pros
Cons
  • Risk averse agency, lots of people are fairly stuck in policies and procedures in a way that can be very frustrating (in 10 reviews)

• Not fast paced work environment, for better or worse (in 5 reviews)

"GAO and the golden handcuffs"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst (Band 2A) in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst (Band 2A) in Washington, DC

I have been working at U.S. Government Accountability Office full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

High quality people and projects. Work/life balance is an agency priority. GAO has broad access to federal agency information, and there are many opportunities to learn.

Cons

The organization is extremely risk-averse and process-focused, which can impact delivery and diminish the impact of the work. Pay is at least 10 percent below market value.

2. "A great place to start an auditing career"

Former Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at U.S. Government Accountability Office full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Tremendous commitment to personnel development
    - Plenty of opportunities to attend meetings and presentations designed to broaden your
       awareness of current events and relevant business/federal topics.

Cons

- Intellectual bullying exists to a very limited extent.

3. "Solid analytical work"

Current Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC

Pros

Robust analytical framework; meaningful work and high-potential for making impact

Cons

Laborious quality control process; moderate training opportunities; too many unspoken rules and insufficient help from management to decipher cryptic culture

Advice to Management

Develop mentoring programs

5. "Great flexibility, staff-focused, intelligent coworkers"

Current Employee - Analyst (PDP) in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Analyst (PDP) in Washington, DC

I have been working at U.S. Government Accountability Office full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work-life balance cannot be beaten
    Salary potentially good for some with prior experience
    Staff-focus on part of management
    Government benefits are great

Cons

Introverted peers in work environment can appear a bit isolated
    Slow project pace can lead to disinterest - must be strongly self-motivated
    Limited advancement opportunities

Advice to Management

Try to open up mobility within the workforce

"Analyst (Band I)"

Current Employee - Analyst (Band I) in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Analyst (Band I) in Washington, DC

Pros

The first two years in the PDP program are great because it's a very structured program that allows you to rotate through different teams. Also, there are opportunities for raises every 6 months.

Cons

Opportunities after the PDP program are more uncertain and it seems as if there is a bottleneck from moving from a Band I analyst to a Band II analyst.

Advice to Management

It'd be great to find better ways to compensate employees appropriately after the PDP program, especially considering how much better other federal employees are compensated.

7. "Good place for a starting internship"

Former Employee - Student Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Student Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at U.S. Government Accountability Office (Less than a year)

Pros

- Friendly atmosphere
    - Received experience from a knowledgeable mentor (though this obviously can vary depending on where you work)
    - Casual Fridays and Business Casual attire also a plus
    - relatively nice area (at least until nighttime)

Cons

- Some lazy/lethargic individuals (though this is the federal government so it is to be expected to an extent).
    - GAO watchdog cafeteria lacks in quality and variety (though this is opinion and the local neighborhood has plenty of alternative restaurants)

8. "Relevant Work, but Frustrating at tme"

Current Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at U.S. Government Accountability Office full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You are given a lot of responsibility here at this agency. One day you could be presenting materials to senior level executive branch employees and the next day you could be briefing a congressional committee. This challenging environment means you have consistently perform at a high level all of the time.

Cons

This is not a good place to come to salary wise if you already have a lot of experience. You will not be compensated for the level of work you have to do. Some of the lowest level employees here could be senior managers in other places.

"Great palce to start a career for a newly-minted MPP"

Former Employee - Audit Specialist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Audit Specialist in New York, NY

I worked at U.S. Government Accountability Office full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

GAO was my first job right out of grad school, and to this day, I believe that it was, by far, the best decision I made career-wise.

Cons

There is definitely a GAO-type, which I must admit I never really became used to. Do factor that into your equation when deciding if you really want to work there see below).

I concur with someone who wrote that being super close to your Supervisor is the single most important factor for success or failure, and there was plenty of people who were never supported for promotions.

On the GAO type (specifically on the supervisors you will be dealing with), I think there are two types: (1) the typical career bureaucrat who joined straight out of college (no grad degree) and put up with 35 years worth of BS. The other (2) frustrated Ph.D. holders who never landed their dream college gig and realized that the next best thing was to work inside a large performance evaluation shop which can be as quiet as a library most of the time. Type 1 will be more easy-going, while Type 2 seem to want to recreat silly intellectual battles more akin to academic environments and will dwell endlessly on that perfect word, or rewrite (or suggest edits) on everything, just because the tone could be so much better. It can be very demoralizing at times.

After leaving GAO I have worked for many years at audit shops of UN agencies in many postings around the globe. I also worked with global technology. Nowhere else will you have the number of brains and time to address audit-related inquires. It's great while at GAO (if slow, at times), but don't expect that to be an industry-wide standard by any means. So, learn the tools of the trade while there, but don't expect them to be a standard to which everyone will and must adhere to.

Advice to Management

Think outside the GAO shoe box.

10. "Security Specialist"

Current Employee - Security Specialist in Timonium, MD
    Current Employee - Security Specialist in Timonium, MD

I have been working at U.S. Government Accountability Office (Less than a year)

Pros

Review security technology, create management reports, security metrics, standard operating procedures, and establish monitoring for newly identified security threats.

Cons

Hiring process is take too long

"My First Federal Civilian Job"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Washington, DC

I have been working at U.S. Government Accountability Office full-time

Pros

People are great! Family environment, provides childcare, parking, good benefits, job flexibility for most, and outstanding training.

Cons

Needs to work on employees/workforce. Many people are not fully qualified for the positions they hold, yet are not liable to even learn their jobs to get it done (someone else is asked to please do it for them" type thing). GAO's mission is supported by the majority of the people who are work horses and they make up for the substandard ones who want to be left alone so they don't have to do their job. Not very incentivizing.

Advice to Management

Hold employees accountable to do their own work and work the hours they are paid to work instead of finding someone to fill-in so they can leave early. Traffic is awful for everyone! And most people have families too! Shouldn't be a "who you are or a who you know" thing.