U.S. Government Accountability Office "work environment" Reviews | Glassdoor

U.S. Government Accountability Office Employee Reviews about "work environment"

Updated Aug 15, 2019

3.5
U.S. Government Accountability Office CEO Eugene Louis Dodaro
Eugene Louis Dodaro
Pros
  • "good work-life balance and interesting variety of work(in 56 reviews)

• "Great work products, smart people, great introduction to federal government issues(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "The work can move very slowly, and the organization is on the whole slow to change and risk-averse(in 13 reviews)

• "Also, sometimes the work environment can be a bit slower(in 10 reviews)

Reviews about "work environment"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Summer Internship"

Former Intern - Graduate Student Researcher in Washington, DC

I worked at U.S. Government Accountability Office for less than a year

Pros

great work environment and structure of the program

Cons

no choice over which department you end up in for the summer, although I did end up with one I liked

Advice to Management

n/a

U.S. Government Accountability Office2017-08-20
  2. "Not ideal workplace for people who value connection with coworkers"

Former Intern - Analyst Intern

I worked at U.S. Government Accountability Office for less than a year

Pros

Pretty good pay, great experience, very well-respected organization.

Cons

I found staff to be cold, inflexible, and extremely focused on org. policies (makes sense, they're auditors). The org. is extremely hierarchical and they say they value and give feedback to employees, but in my experience you had to either do the job "right" the first time or it reflected poorly on you. As someone who's spent most of their career in the nonprofit sector I found myself missing the kinds of people who... tend to work at nonprofits and realized federal auditing wasn't a healthy work environment for me personally.

U.S. Government Accountability Office2019-08-16
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

"Important Work but Toxic Environment"

I worked at U.S. Government Accountability Office full-time for more than a year

Pros

Many of the analysts are really passionate about their jobs. They love doing what they’re doing and really care about improving society. The agency has great training programs for professional development. Office locations really form a community.

Cons

The work environment is hostile at GAO. Many managers, particularly SESers, are interested primarily in furthering their own careers and agendas. Instead of admitting fault for their mistakes, management blames analysts. Senior management in the agency blatantly violate federal guidelines/regulations/agency policies and actively bully junior staff. GAO is stuck in its (sometimes outdated) ways. Oftentimes great... ideas to do the work in more efficient manners are ignored, despite their ability to save the taxpayer thousands of dollars per engagement. Management would rather use an archaic method that makes projects drag on for months when they could really be finished in a fraction of the time. Instead of being viewed as going above and beyond, attempting to streamline the research process while using more rigorous methodologies is often categorized as “unacceptable” performance - analysts end up penalized, in part, because management does not have the technical training to understand these approaches. The agency fails to leverage the immense data it has access to in a manner that would benefit the Congress more effectively, and it actively discourages analysts from proposing these more innovative approaches.

Advice to Management

Management needs to have better training on biases and Human Resources. Some folks in senior positions should be replaced as they actually result in talented staff fleeing from the agency rather than building morale. The professional development program for new analysts was a traumatizing experience primarily due to the management leading that initiative being abusive and hostile toward employees, a sentiment felt... by many currently in and those who left the agency.

U.S. Government Accountability Office2019-03-19

"Senior auditor"

I have been working at U.S. Government Accountability Office full-time

Pros

Flexible work environment, satisfaction in work

Cons

Poor pay is lack of incentive

Advice to Management

Increase pay

U.S. Government Accountability Office2019-01-05
  6. "Interesting work, but Government bureaucracy"

I have been working at U.S. Government Accountability Office

Pros

Good responsibility for interns early on, and opinions are valued as well as your professional development

Cons

Obviously working for the gov machine isn't the most exciting thing for millennials, and I found the work environment to be very boring when work was slow. Culture is more geared toward people in mid- to upper-level positions.

U.S. Government Accountability Office2018-09-30
  7. "GAO is a great place to work"

Current Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at U.S. Government Accountability Office full-time for more than a year

Pros

- really nice and intelligent co-workers - work/life balance is incredible - pays well compared to industry

Cons

- slow slow work environment - difficult to promote and run teams - government bureaucracy

Advice to Management

- Find a way to get high performing employees on multiple report engagements.

U.S. Government Accountability Office2018-03-20
  8. "Great internship experience, especially for those who want to work with legislation."

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at U.S. Government Accountability Office

Pros

In general I had a great experience as an intern at GAO. I was given the opportunity to lead interviews and meetings. As an intern I was respected and given the same oppurtunities as if I was a full-time employee. Additionally I was able to do a site visit in California.

Cons

Seems like experience can vary between projects, and also between different project managers. Also, sometimes the work environment can be a bit slower.

U.S. Government Accountability Office2017-08-10

"Interesting work, tedious administrative requirements, and complex promotion process"

I have been working at U.S. Government Accountability Office

Pros

Interesting and meaningful work. Flexible work environment.

Cons

Complex and competitive promotion process. Promotions are merit based, but can be swayed by lawsuits, and are divided among Directors instead of given to the top candidates across the team

U.S. Government Accountability Office2017-06-23

"Decent place to start"

Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at U.S. Government Accountability Office for more than a year

Pros

If you are a freshly minted MPP, GAO could be a great place to start your career as a PDP. You study US federal government policies and programs day in and day out to evaluate programs, though from the audit perspective. Some are really jazzed by this and if so, that's great! The work environment is fairly relaxed and during the course of research, there is the potential to have interesting conversations with... leaders in whatever industry your research is involved in (again, from an audit perspective). There is a big emphasis on presenting your findings to various stakeholders, so you will learn how to communicate your ideas and research effectively to a variety of audiences here. The PDP offers a structured format to gain exposure to different policy areas of government. The co-workers, for the most part, are kind and decent people. Things don't seem overtly competitive or stressful (though I hear it depends on the mission team).

Cons

If you prefer action to contemplation you may not like GAO - people here tend to overthink and it takes a village to move research along the process. Also note that all the research you do is from an audit perspective, which means you can't use your research to advocate for what you believe (especially given the nonpartisan nature of the agency). This can be very frustrating for some (but not all). Career options... post-PDP and GAO outside of the agency is unclear. Lastly, the human resources office is awful and the pay simply isn't competitive when you first start.

U.S. Government Accountability Office2017-06-21
  11. "Great flexibility, staff-focused, intelligent coworkers"

Current Employee - Analyst (PDP) in Washington, DC

I have been working at U.S. Government Accountability Office full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work-life balance cannot be beaten Salary potentially good for some with prior experience Staff-focus on part of management Government benefits are great

Cons

Introverted peers in work environment can appear a bit isolated Slow project pace can lead to disinterest - must be strongly self-motivated Limited advancement opportunities

Advice to Management

Try to open up mobility within the workforce

U.S. Government Accountability Office2016-12-27