U.S. News & World Report Reviews | Glassdoor

U.S. News & World Report Reviews

Updated Aug 13, 2019

Found 82 reviews

3.8
U.S. News & World Report CEO Bill Holiber (no image)
Bill Holiber
Pros
  • "I am able to see first hand the belief in work-life balance(in 15 reviews)

• "Excellent brand name, Nice people, Decent benefits, A business in the journalism world that actually has promise and integrity(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Pay is low and increases are though to get(in 6 reviews)

• "They used to allow employees unlimited rollover of vacation days but have decided we no longer deserve even that minimal perk(in 4 reviews)

1. "Positive Outlook With Growth Potential If You Work Towards It"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at U.S. News & World Report full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

U.S. News maintains a team-first philosophy in which they employ a group of like-minded, motivated individuals who consistently challenge each other to succeed, and more importantly, help each other get there. The Sales/Advertising team is a close-knit group similar in age and interests that generally gets along very well, both professionally and personally. U.S. News is also somewhere that provides an... opportunity for accelerated growth if you're willing to work towards it. Members of the team are guided by their managers from Day 1 into career paths that are beneficial for both them and the company, and they are given all of the resources necessary to achieve these goals. Promotions are often made internally and the pace of these career leaps happens quicker than a good deal of companies in the industry.

Cons

No major complaints at this time.

Advice to Management

Believe in the unit you have built. There are lot of brilliant people at U.S. News who sometimes don't shine as bright as they can due to the nature of the very top of the company. The potential of U.S. News lies in these people and their ideas, and the more open-minded the leadership can be to this, the better.

U.S. News & World Report2019-06-19

June 25, 2019HR Specialist

Thank you for talking about our team-first philosophy and the dynamic of the Sales/Advertising team. I always enjoy my visits to NY and engaging with the collaborative team up there. Management, across all departments, is invested in the success of their team and it's great to see ...

"-"

Former Employee - Business Analyst

I worked at U.S. News & World Report full-time

Pros

Great team experience, great office

Cons

Not much work life balance, overtime

U.S. News & World Report2019-08-13

"Great company, working hard to stay competitive"

Current Employee - SEO Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at U.S. News & World Report full-time for less than a year

Pros

At a time when other news publications are struggling, U.S. News is going strong. The salaries are competitive for the DC area, complete with 401k matching, affordable health care plans, dental, vision, and other benefits. They're flexible with remote work days, and bagel Mondays are a great way to start the week. As the rare news publication that is not struggling in 2019, it's also very reassuring to work for a... company with that kind of long term job security. Good growth opportunities through new products and services that we can offer.

Cons

Communication from upper management to the rest of the company can be lacking.

Advice to Management

Continue improving communication with the company, keep making the office a fun place to come to work.

U.S. News & World Report2019-05-19

June 25, 2019HR Specialist

Thank you for your comments. We appreciate you taking the time to share what is keeping you engaged at U.S. News and areas for improvement. Leadership is working on ways to communicate more with employees, especially as we continue to grow.

4. "Digital media company that knows what it's doing"

Current Employee - Editor in Washington, DC

I have been working at U.S. News & World Report full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It feels good to know that we're helping people through our advice journalism and the team is committed to creating high-quality content. It's what makes me want to come to work every day. I came from a pretty cutthroat newsroom that paid peanuts before coming to USN, so the salaries and benefits here are very competitive. We're also growing our team; almost every other month there's someone new joining us. It's... hard to find stability these days, so it's comforting to know USN is growing and investing in journalism. We use data to help us create content that's relevant for our readers so we're not wasting our time and resources, which is smart. If you work hard, you will be recognized for your efforts. And if you have a great idea, management will make sure it's realized. Can't really find that at most places.

Cons

Wish there was more communication between verticals, especially editorial teams.

Advice to Management

Thanks for investing in improving the CMS and new technology to help us do our jobs better. Please continue to do that!

U.S. News & World Report2019-05-21

June 25, 2019HR Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I'm glad you are enjoying the new CMS and find your work meaningful. I agree that working in an environment that prides itself on helping our readers make a more informed decision is paramount. Thank you for being part of the work we ...

"Don't Get Stuck Here!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at U.S. News & World Report full-time for more than a year

Pros

Really laid back when it comes to hours, vacation, etc. Teleworking is allowed on most teams. You won't be stressed out here.

Cons

- No innovation, no vision. Churns out content for clicks only (which they struggle to get), not at all concerned about quality. Refuse to invest in new strategies-- rely on earned tactics across the board, which is an unrealistic strategy in today's media landscape. If you don't want to learn anything new/want to coast for the remainder of your career, work here. The expectations are not high-- you can do the bare... minimum and no one will notice. - The rankings market is saturated, but they assume the brand name alone will take them where they want to be/help them meet their goals-- not able to realize or acknowledge that most people are unfamiliar with the name today. - Leadership and managers refuse to listen to younger journalists/employees. - Zero opportunity for legitimate growth. You will be stuck in your position, or you'll receive an arbitrary title change, a small raise and learn nothing new in the process. - Salaries well below industry standards, with little conversation of raises. - The CEO and Chairman are both enormous man-babies. I genuinely don't know how else to describe them. They ignore or even fire anyone who stands in the way of their old-school, narcissistic ideas of how the business should be run. Literally behind the curve in every single way. They are stuck in the past and unwilling to invest in anything that will cost them the money they would prefer to put in their own pockets. They are also laughably competitive with one another, at the detriment of many teams at US News. - Other media organizations will not be impressed with US News on your resume (unless maybe it's an internship), so be prepared for that if you're trying to remain in the space. They know you won't be up to speed on news innovations, etc. if you stay for too long.

Advice to Management

Executive leadership team needs more women, more people of color, more diversity across the board.

U.S. News & World Report2019-05-07

"Good Place to Work"

Current Employee - Senior Editor

I have been working at U.S. News & World Report full-time

Pros

Flexible, friendly work place environment Invests in journalists to attend conferences Good benefits -- 401 (k), health insurance, etc. Bagel Mondays Well-managed office space

Cons

Salaries can be on the lower end of the spectrum for a national publication

Advice to Management

Need to focus more on creating new editorial products

U.S. News & World Report2019-04-02

April 8, 2019HR Specialist

Thank you for your review.

"Great Place to start your career"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at U.S. News & World Report full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

* Laid Back environment * Helpful teams * Good work life balance * Opportunity to move up quickly (python)

Cons

* Spend money on training

Advice to Management

Invest in educating developers

U.S. News & World Report2019-03-31

April 1, 2019HR Specialist

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback.

"Fast Growing Company"

I have been working at U.S. News & World Report full-time

Pros

Great company on the fast track.

Cons

Trying to keep up with the growth.

U.S. News & World Report2019-03-20

March 21, 2019Director, Human Resources

Thanks for your review!

"Fine place, not so much room for growth"

I have been working at U.S. News & World Report full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Relatively stable company in unstable industry

Cons

Stagnant growth for some employees, poor communication between departments and verticals.

U.S. News & World Report2019-03-26

"Good job"

Current Employee - Senior Editor in Washington, DC

I have been working at U.S. News & World Report full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Friendly coworkers, good benefits, promotion potential

Cons

Work can be repetitive and pay is low.

U.S. News & World Report2019-02-25

March 4, 2019HR Specialist

Thank you for leaving a review.

Found 82 reviews