U.S. Physical Therapy Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 22, 2016

Full-time Part-time

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
U.S. Physical Therapy President, Chief Executive Officer and Director Chris Reading
Chris Reading

"Innovative workplace"

Current Employee - Clinic Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Clinic Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at U.S. Physical Therapy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

USPh is a great opportunity where you can learn how to be your own boss (management style is present but allows you to grow your clinic based on your own style/ expertise). The reason why I came to USPh is due to my strong desire to own my own physical therapy clinic. This company has allowed me the opportunity to grow as a businessman and build a business on someone else's dime. I don't think I will work my whole career for this company but I believe that I learned skills that will last my entire career

Cons

The pay ins't competitive for Clinic Directors and they need to be more liberal with raises/ bonus structure when an employee is going above and beyond. Also, the work hours can be extensive depending on your supplementary staff. It can be difficult to manage a full case load while also maintaining administrative duties/ marketing strategies

Advice to Management

Continue to trust your employees, I believe the model is strong and can work regardless of healthcare changes. A company that believes in its individual workers and trusts in their creativity will be successful in any climate.

"I wanted to love it..."

Former Employee - Receptionist in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Receptionist in Kansas City, MO

I worked at U.S. Physical Therapy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved working with patients and having the opportunity to learn new things. The benefits were good and the pto time was ok.

Cons

I did so much for so little pay. Corporate only sees dollar signs and not people that put their heart and soul into working there.

Advice to Management

Really get to know and notice the things that your employees are doing. Some are going above and beyond without getting any recognition at all.

"Clerk"

Current Employee - Receptionist in Hamilton, NC
    Current Employee - Receptionist in Hamilton, NC

I have been working at U.S. Physical Therapy (More than 10 years)

Pros

Co-workers work well together busy

Cons

Over worked employees they need to revamp the whole computer system n let their employees make they own corrections

"representative"

Former Employee - Representative in Stanwood, MI
    Former Employee - Representative in Stanwood, MI

I worked at U.S. Physical Therapy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Potential to earn monthly bonuses.

Cons

Heavy workload. No regular employee reviews.

"Company is WAY behind the times."

Former Employee - Clinic Director in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Clinic Director in Austin, TX

Pros

Billing support, continuing education assistance was solid ($1200/year), company has 401K but no matching, training for directors was adequate but did lack follow-up.

Cons

This company is stuck in the stone age of health care. Literally. No electronic documentation system. Not supportive and completely behind in online digital marketing. Complete lack of organizational strategy and accountability. No outcomes monitoring or preparation for bundled payment or quality care which is likely the future of PT. They don't even allow their clinics to have a Facebook page or Twitter account for marketing because they are scared of the HIPAA implications. This is something that somehow every other clinic in the free world has worked around because of basic common sense. Overall, I felt like this company was significantly more concerned with the bottom line than caring about its employees and checking in with them regularly to see how the clinic and life was going. It reminded me of the U.S. Government. Too big to fail but too big to care and actually do anything well.

Advice to Management

Get with the program and hire people that aren't 60 years old and have been out of the clinic for decades to have influence in your company. Health care is evolving. Quickly. You would be wise to evolve with it or get left behind. You don't have an electronic documentation system, and your scheduling system is horrible. The size of this company and available resources makes this completely unacceptable.

Mar 29, 2016 – Chief Executive Officer

I believe that everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinion and that through the input of those who are actively engaged in our profession (as leaders) we can make a great difference. This is ... More

"Physical Therapist"

Former Employee - Physical Therapist in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Physical Therapist in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at U.S. Physical Therapy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Large company, more organized HR dept than private practices

Cons

Lower salary, no 401k match, no profit sharing, no bonus

Jan 28, 2016 – VP, Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback on your experience as a clinician within one of our private practice partnerships. We do strive to offer an extremely competitive benefits package with annual continuing ... More

"Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marion, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marion, OH

I worked at U.S. Physical Therapy (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone seemed to be friendly and cared.

Cons

No sense of direction as where the company was going.

Jan 28, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for your service to our company. I am sorry that you felt under-informed about the goals and objectives of the company. All of our sales associates participate in our Master’s training ... More

"Great Company but there's room for Improvement!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at U.S. Physical Therapy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

One of the reasons that I have stuck around is that my boss allows us to have a flexible schedule as long as your work gets done and on time. We are also extremely lucky to still have a company Holiday party in December and a Fun day at Moody Gardens in Galveston as a thank you for all the hard work.

Cons

The benefits are a little lacking, especially as they don’t match your 401k. Pay is under most of the industries standards in all departments and they have lost a lot of great employees because of this. They also don’t really promote from within, if they do the pay really isn't worth the additional work and headaches. There aren't really an advancement opportunities unless you are in the Operations side of it.

Advice to Management

Upper management does a great job of running the company and directing it in a way to keep this company growing. However, this comes with a down side, each time they add clinics it creates a huge amount additional work for us. They forget that we are the force behind them; most departments are understaffed and have been for a while. They have recently starting hiring in certain departments but there needs to be more.

Jan 28, 2016 – CEO

I agree that there is always room for improvement. I also understand that we have been in a growth mode for some time. Based on the layoffs of many other Companies right now in Houston, I feel very ... More

"Stay away from this company!"

Former Employee - Physical Therapist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Physical Therapist in Chicago, IL

Pros

They occasionally pay their bills on time.

Cons

The group that I was a part of was taken over by USPh. After that, it was all downhill. No leadership. No accountability. It's all about the bottom line. They imposed a minimum visits per day requirement without any attempt to understand how the group had previously been successful. It lead to the inevitable decline in quality of care, poor morale and worse performance. So then they cut staffing which further worsened matters. It gotten to the point where I had to leave because I had grown to hate a job I had once loved.

Advice to Management

I don't have any advice for management. They're doing great. The stock price is up. They're rolling in the dough. My advice is for investors and potential employees.

For investors, stay away from this company. It is being built on a house of cards. They are rapidly acquiring new groups and clinics without the infrastructure to support it. Most of the leadership is former HealthSouth guys. You would think they would have learned their lesson.

For potential employees, stay away from this company...unless you like the life and passion sucked from you by a bunch of bean counters who only care about volume.

Actually, I do have some advice for management... Don't think you are fooling anyone by posting fake positive reviews on this page. Only corporate monkeys talk about "culture".

Jan 28, 2016 – CEO

I am not sure what to say other than I am truly sorry you had what felt like was a bad experience. The vast majority of the partner-focused deals we have done have occurred without turnover in staff ... More

11. "Great, growing company where ethical standards, employees and patient care are the key's to success."

I have been working at U.S. Physical Therapy full-time

Pros

work-life balance, ethical company, growing company, challenging experiences

Cons

no 401k matching is available

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work, but never settle when it come to benefits that can not only keep, but attract good employees to USPH, like 401k Matching...

Jan 28, 2016 – CEO

Thanks so very much for the kind words. We will continue to work to provide our employees and their families a great benefits plan, which our HR group has done an amazing job of over the years. I ... More