U.S. Soccer Federation Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

U.S. Soccer Federation Reviews

Updated Sep 21, 2019

Found 54 reviews

2.5
U.S. Soccer Federation CEO Dan Flynn (no image)
Dan Flynn
Pros
  • "As referee you will meet many new people in your(in 12 reviews)

• "Great pay, love that my hobby is also a career(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "At the lower-level, if you are not getting many games to referee it isn't worth it(in 8 reviews)

• "Turnover: There seems to be very few coordinators who are not looking for other jobs(in 5 reviews)

1. "Great to work for"

I worked at U.S. Soccer Federation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Support the development of the sport in the United States

Cons

Odd working space at Soccer House

U.S. Soccer Federation2019-06-06
  2. "soccer referee"

Former Employee - Intern

I worked at U.S. Soccer Federation part-time for more than a year

Pros

good training courses and game availability

Cons

some games last longer or get rescheduled

U.S. Soccer Federation2019-09-21
  3. "Dream job but fearful for the future"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at U.S. Soccer Federation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

As described by (former) colleagues the best part of the job is being able to work with passionate soccer junkies who all want to help grow the sport. The benefits are great and the lunch time soccer league on Fridays is a welcome break from the mandatory 8-5 for the underpaid and under appreciated associates and coordinators.

Cons

The sheer number of talented colleagues that recently left or have announced they are leaving the organization should be a red flag but instead of replacing them with new talent, and having succession plans (not hiring the most talented interns or promoting the most talented coordinators is a real issue), others are expected to do their tasks as well as their own tasks. This leads to more of us feeling burned out and looking for opportunities outside of the federation.

U.S. Soccer Federation2019-07-27

"Great Experience In Spite of Lacking Culture"

I worked at U.S. Soccer Federation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Passion for the game. You're working at U.S. Soccer and striving to make soccer the preeminent sport in the country, so it was always soccer everything. Watching games in the office and playing soccer on Friday afternoons were great experiences and well-deserved breaks during the long days. - Incredible people. There were so many fun, intelligent people working at the Federation during my time there, especially at the coordinator-level positions. It was always refreshing seeing everyone's faces each day, and I learned so many invaluable skills from each of them. They also made the cons (see below) more bearable. - Direct management. My direct supervisor was incredible and enabled me to develop into the person I am today. Despite the intense work loads and long hours, I am confident in saying that some of the managers were some of the best I'll ever have encounter in my career. - Motivation and care. In retrospect, it is clear that the staff and management care so much about the organization. Everyone from marketing to DA to events put 110% effort in, and you really don't see that everyone you go. Having that influence around you is sensationally motivating to always be your best. - Perks. Meeting former players and coaches, getting to watch international games, Nike swag, etc. were all pretty sweet add-ons (but should NOT be a primary reason to take the job!). Overall, landing a job at U.S. Soccer was a dream come true, and I'm forever grateful for the experience, hence the three-star review (which may be a tad generous). However, the cons continued to outweigh the pros over time, created a toxic environment where everyone was dissatisfied, frustrated, over-worked, and under-paid.

Cons

Where to begin... - Compensation. Like other reviews have noted, employees at USSF are grossly exploited and under-paid for their efforts. You understand what you're doing when accepting a role there (or in sports in general) as salaries are very meager, but it never really gets better. I can't assume what the salaries are for the manager and director-level positions, but the coordinators were all severely under-paid -- hence why many talented individuals left. The Federation consistently touted its major $100M in reserves, and everyone was flabbergasted as to why the salaries remained so low. And do not even get me started on the "Associate Program." Call a spade a spade: it's an internship program that does not even cover a livable wage (it was like $10 an hour, excluding overtime, weekend work, etc. -- read the other reviews) for college graduates moving across the country for a six-month role without any future guarantees. That's pretty disgusting, especially considering the caliber of some of those employees (one in particular had a graduate degree, another with 5+ years of soccer work experience). - Work/life balance. We regularly worked 8am-5pm (more depending on dept), and employees were looked down upon for arriving any bit late or leaving early. Many employees felt the need to stay later to fulfill duties that hadn't reallocated with new hires. Fortunately, I was able to automate some processes and save myself some time, but that only meant that I wasn't as busy and therefore needed more work -- despite the fact that others worked at half the pace. Of course, that was hardly reflected in end-of-year reviews. After work trips (either over weekends or spanning weeks at a time), comp time was never awarded, and employees were not given any flexibility to work from home for a bit of recovery. Call me immoral, but I even feigned sick one day because I was so physically and emotionally drained...but I still had so much to do that I barely got to relax throughout the day. Working 16 hours days for 10+ consecutive days for that salary is brutal enough, but then taking the first flight out the following day and being required to get right to the office is insane and certainly doesn't build morale. - Upward mobility. Spoiler alert: there really isn't any. During my experience, I think I may saw one person promoted internally, and even that didn't really change his/her responsibilities (it was also universally regarded as a terrible decision, but who am I to say. During an employee review, this person was on his/her phone and laptop the entire time...there was no care for the employees performance or feedback). Even in the few situations in which talent is promoted from within, the minimal salary increase pales in comparison to the upgraded responsibilities and time requirements. You'll notice the trend that most manager and director-level employees have been with the Federation for 10+ years and that there are very few who have stuck around past 2-3 years...even HR noticed this trend and didn't do anything about it. - Upper management. Personally, I actually really like Jay Berhalter. He has a hard exterior, but he's a genuinely nice person who cares. Unfortunately, however, that compassion doesn't translate to the front lines, and that's painfully evident when reading these reviews. If only 1 out of 10 employees feels that way, then something is clearly wrong. I seldom saw our CEO and doubt he knew my name, and there were never enough open dialogues with the staff. One review points out an organizational meeting that left everyone entirely deflated after they bashed our feedback instead of saying our goal was to win a World Cup. First, this is 100% accurate, although grabbing a few beers afterwards and forgetting about it helped. Second, that's not our gripe at the front-lines; we wanted better communication, balance, and leadership. Also, despite my best efforts, I'm not playing as a striker for the WNT, so not sure how much I can really affect that goal. If you want some great experience and getting U.S. Soccer on your resume in exchange for a few years of the Federation taking advantage of you, absolutely go for it. Otherwise, steer clear of the "work for the crest" nonsense.

U.S. Soccer Federation2019-06-25

"Something needs to change"

Former Employee - Coordinator

I worked at U.S. Soccer Federation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working for the National Teams, seeing the inside workings of a sports organization. Great benefits package. Great networking and work environment among Coordinators and Managers.

Cons

I worked for the Federation for nearly four years. During my time there I wore many hats, working for USSF, NWSL, NWSL Media, COPA 2016, COPA Marketing Inc. While working simultaneously for all four organizations at a time I received only my USSF salary and company wide bonuses, which was nothing when considering the success of the organization, being located in Chicago, and job requirements, but I stuck it out being promised time and time again, "you'll get a good bonus", I received a small bonus for COPA, maybe 1% of what the CEO and COO received, and that was it, nothing for my other roles in the organization, not even recognition. I was one of many employees who wore many hats, and never saw any praise or compensation for going above and beyond our jobs. During that tournament one employee, who is a favorite of the CEO, received compensation from both entities and a hefty bonus, during that time their work was strictly focused on the tournament and the federation was forgotten. I understand that people do a lot of work behind the scenes, but this kind of favoritism has no place in the work place, if you weren't in with the COO you were an outcast, and do not expect to see any movement within the company or see any compensation for all the work you do. Coming in early, staying late, working weekends and holidays were expected if needed, but ask to leave the office before 5pm and your will forever be looked down upon by the CEO and COO as they hawk at the parking lot seeing who leaves when. After being there two years, we decided to do a company outing and break out into groups to see what will help the organization, after the groups met, one person was sent to present the groups decisions. Every single group stated that the lack of communication between departments is a problem, so clearly everyone was onto something, and feeling like something had been accomplished. The CEO then proceeded to take the stage and say something along the lines of, I'm sad to hear no one mentioned the NWSL league and its success, winning a world cup, oh, and the communication thing is bull****. Meeting deflated, everything that was productive shot down by the person we are supposed to follow behind. How do you follow someone who will not take opinions into consideration from his own staff.

U.S. Soccer Federation2019-06-14

"Toxic Culture Limits Potential"

Former Employee - Administration in Chicago, IL

I worked at U.S. Soccer Federation full-time

Pros

Behind the scenes access. Talking soccer every day with amazing colleagues who are dedicated to the sport. Benefit package is solid but not good enough to make up for terrible pay.

Cons

The culture is downright terrible, which is very much driven by the tone at the top; the defacto CEO Jay Berhalter. He has zero (ZERO) people skills. His approach to managing is laughable, and your only chance to succeed is if you love and/or fear him and let it be known that you're submissive to his "brilliant" ideas. The company is caught in a time warp. There is absolutely no empowerment to the incredibly talented people who work there. The idea of work/life balance is frowned upon. Don't even think about working from home. Communication is terrible and there's a crippling bottleneck for work flow because employees are not allowed to make their own decisions. There are many, many more bad things to say about the organization (see other reviews) which is sad because it could be an amazing place to work. Sadly, nothing will change if this individual is given the (official) title of CEO.

U.S. Soccer Federation2019-06-19

"Dream job, nightmare organization"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at U.S. Soccer Federation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits, getting to play soccer on Fridays, company outings. Some people get to travel a lot and be part of gamedays and events in different cities. Casual environment. There's a passion for soccer all around; it's an honor to wear the crest and be part of growing the sport in the US.

Cons

Pay is absolutely abysmal. The hiring process is a joke. If you apply to a job, don't expect to hear back for at least a few months, weeks between interviews, and then once you get to the final interview, it's very likely that even though everyone else approves of you, the self-appointed CEO is just going to reject you for no reason. In addition to not hiring anyone, USSF is also losing employees at a fast rate. Talented people are getting crushed by this organization left and right, mainly because of being overworked, underpaid, and treated incredibly poorly by the upper management. This results in a lot of current employees doing one or two other jobs in addition to their own, with no pay increase, no overtime, no time off, no title change, and no recognition. The employees that do stay and have to deal with all of this then become so bitter and negative that it becomes infectious to other employees. The morale is so incredibly low that there aren't many people not looking for other jobs at the moment. The only people not looking for other jobs? The ones that are "in" with the self-appointed CEO, who've been hired because they are cut from the same cloth and willing to do whatever he wants. These people are virtually the only ones that will get raises, promotions, bonuses, etc. Travel is fun until you get back to back trips with a few days notice, expected to work 16+ hours days while on the road, and then no time off when you get home. The conflict between the old guard and the new employees is also a big issue. Just because you've done things a certain way for 20 years doesn't mean it's still the right way to do it. Managers/bosses are hit or miss. There are two types of managers at ussf: bad ones and good ones with "their hands tied". Even if you have one of the good managers, it is likely that the "CEO" doesn't like them and therefore won't approve any of their plans, budgets, requests, or ideas.

U.S. Soccer Federation2019-06-14

"So Disappointing"

Former Employee - Program Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I worked at U.S. Soccer Federation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Being part of a group of individuals who shared a common passion for the game; going to incredible, memorable matches; international travel; Nike swag; pick up soccer games at lunch on Fridays

Cons

Leadership takes advantage of people's love for the game. Instead of valuing their extremely hard working, dedicated and passionate employees, they have created an environment that screams "you are lucky to work here, and you are replaceable" so we can over work you, pay you nothing, and if you complain, you're just not "cut out to work in sports." You will work weekends regularly, with not an hour of comp time during the week. There were times I worked more than 3 weeks straight without a day off or any over time pay. You will make minimum wage living in Chicago. There is no room for advancement because the people in higher up positions never leave. Over time, the extremely poor culture and lack of appreciation makes employees bitter and drives them to leave even when they love the work they do.

U.S. Soccer Federation2019-06-26

"Could Be Life Changing…"

Former Employee - Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at U.S. Soccer Federation full-time for more than a year

Pros

-A lot of the obvious pros are absolutely true.... -Generous 401k match. Give you 3% regardless. -To work in a sport you're passionate about can be incredibly fulfilling. -You'll never have to explain your industry to anyone. -Incredible personalities in the office, plenty of motivation and charisma. -Year round soccer on tv is perfectly accepted in office. -Global sport that facilitates global connections. -Easily build a personal brand while wearing the crest. -Health benefits are really nice, though they may change the out of pocket soon. -Substantial amounts of pointless meetings and always free food left over. -Pretty sick sponsorship from Nike and Thorne, etc.

Cons

As many pros as I wrote it's sad to have to say that the cons greatly outweigh here: -The leadership is -180 degrees of innovative. - The place is crawling with troglodytic corporate exec decision makers. This is not mad men, it's the 21st century -Constantly being sued makes the glaring exec problem even more glaring. -The people here (again leadership) aren't going to do you a lot of favors don't like your 10 days PTO? Fine, we'll take a few more from your christmas break. - Parking is terrible, no transportation benefits, etc. etc. state minimum everything (other than healthcare). - Cycles through poor interns (literally poor) always with a false hope of employment; 97% of the time they won't get hired on. - They are okay with building without direction; there is no quantifying business decisions, it's always 'how does it feel?' This might seem carefree and "start-up-ish" and cool until you spend and can't defend your costs. -They believe that if they pay you, you have no say in the quality or time of your schedule. Very strict 8-5 M-F in office.

U.S. Soccer Federation2019-05-11

"Don’t do it"

I worked at U.S. Soccer Federation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

anything/everything soccer. If you're passionate about the sport, there are some really cool perks and benefits that come with it such as playing pickup on fridays, working national team games, national academy tournaments, nike discounts, etc. - the cool stuff that makes any soccer fan excited to be part of but those type of events only happen once every 2 months or so, and thats if you're part of the travel staff. Good 401k with 3% match regardless if you contribute. Good health benefits. They started an HR department in 2017 (crazy to think there wasn’t one previously) which made a little progress but seemed like majority of focus was on cleaning up hiring process, off boarding, and a few fun all staff things like BBQs and a very fun annual footgolf tournament. They offer a shuttle van that fits 10-12 people to get to the Roosevelt CTA station and Metra stations a little after 5pm but its usually taken by all the associates as they can't work more than 40 hours. Very helpful for those who live in suburbs and take the train in. Also picks up in the morning hours.

Cons

Strict 8-5 office schedule but then you're frowned upon for leaving at 5pm. If you aren't working from home on nights and weekends or staying late, you won't fulfill your work and they'll make sure you hear it. Coordinator/Manager salaries are pretty low for the sports industry in relation to responsibilities in other sports roles with same title. Very little opportunity to increase your salary, even with a promotion. Sponsor friendly (nike, powerade, coke and others) rule is more than understandable but some take it way too seriously. Office environment - very unique office space in a south loop neighborhood but USSF has outgrown it. Mainly all open work spaces with a few small offices for meetings and private phone calls, 1 small kitchen with a table and 4 chairs, not enough bathrooms, and 10 or so parking spaces. Has a few showers for those who bike to work in morning or go for a run at lunch which is nice to have. No central air so there are loud window units throughout the office in the summer to keep it. Soccer House is 2 very old mansions which is a cool place but doubt its the best for work efficiency which may be one of the reasons why half of the staff work 10 hour days in the office and 12+ hour days out of the office. Turnover rate is a huge issue. They keep pushing growth and investment in staffing but its just a revolving door and constantly have key roles open for months to a year at a time. The only real increase in staffing has been at the coaching education facility in Kansas and the Associates Program (minimum wage internship). All of this while sitting on a $150 million surplus and giving out ridiculous salaries and bonuses to executives according to their top 10 highest paid employees which is public information as a nonprofit.

U.S. Soccer Federation2019-06-04