U.S. Soccer Federation Reviews | Glassdoor

U.S. Soccer Federation Reviews

Updated Feb 9, 2020

2.7
U.S. Soccer Federation Chief Executive Officer Dan Flynn (no image)
Dan Flynn

"Started as Intern"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at U.S. Soccer Federation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working for an organization that is held in high regard within the world of soccer. Looks very good on resume if you plan on making a career for yourself in soccer.

Cons

Toxic culture perpetrated by the only executives that matter. Underpaid employees are often better off just leaving instead of trying to negotiate salary - expect an answer that the "privilege" of working for the crest justifies the below market wages for most entry and mid level positions.

U.S. Soccer Federation2017-07-21

"Great Experience"

I worked at U.S. Soccer Federation

Pros

The staff is like a family. Everyone seems to look out for each other's best interest.

Cons

Sometimes, project progress moves along at a slower then desirable pace.

U.S. Soccer Federation2016-04-19
  3. "gotta love soccer"

I have been working at U.S. Soccer Federation

Pros

Involved with soccer since 1975. Club player, Div III player, coach, and now referee for past five years. Florida is blessed with great weather. Season starts Labor Day and ends Memorial Day. 2015 I worked 268 adult, youth, and high school (FHSAA) games. It is not difficult to work 20-30 games a month, making over $400+ cash.

Cons

Busy. Need to keep current on availability to prevent schedule conflicts.

U.S. Soccer Federation2016-03-23
  4. "Ussf Review"

Referee - Grade 8 in Houston, TX

I worked at U.S. Soccer Federation for more than 3 years

Pros

The process to get started refereeing was very easy, and the work schedules were very flexible.

Cons

As a soccer referee, since most soccer games take place on the weekend, the majority of your work will be on the weekend.

U.S. Soccer Federation2016-03-17
  5. "Youth Referee"

I have been working at U.S. Soccer Federation part-time

Pros

Great support for young referees starting out. Even though it is hard, it is possible to move up as a referee to higher levels.

Cons

Some disconnect between the national-level programs and the lower state levels and local areas. While it is possible to move up, it gets political very quick.

U.S. Soccer Federation2016-03-14
  6. "Good"

I have been working at U.S. Soccer Federation

Pros

Good money on the weekend

Cons

Not really any cons here

U.S. Soccer Federation2016-02-17
  7. "Ref"

Former Employee - Referee in Orlando, FL

I worked at U.S. Soccer Federation part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Super flexible with hours, great environment and people, got to be around sports all day

Cons

Being outside with angry parents

U.S. Soccer Federation2015-12-10
  8. "I've been enjoying USSF for 30 years"

I have been working at U.S. Soccer Federation

Pros

Aftet nearly 30 years as a USSF ref and coach, the USSF continues to improve its Solid development programs for those who want to advance (both as a coach and referee). All four of my kids started refereeing in high school for extra income and two continue to do such in non-sanctioned leagues. Once you demonstrate being a reliable and solid referee, the league assigner will look to fill your availability. Unreliable or those refs with "power issues" tend not to get assignments. USSF certification also opens door for non-sanctioned leagues (high school, private leagues and city Recreational leagues). As a USSF ref in a sanctioned game, USSF takes any referee abuse very seriously to point that all referees are covered by USSF insurance (little know fact). It's a very rewarding and rather enjoyable way to enjoy the game (especially for old darts like me who no longer play). The r w are also a number of great people refereeing soccer and many who are willing to help you become a better referee.

Cons

(1) Some leagues are hard to get assignments (especially those where several players are also referees). (2) Most USSF sanctioned leagues have very formal assignment processes that can be confusing for new referees (not all leages use consistent processes). (3) Referees who horde games (including double booking themselves and taking higher paying gigs). (4) Parents and coaches who harass the younger refs - I act as mentor to a couple of leagues to prevent this. (5) Power Players in local USSF orgs - most USSF organizations have a core group of people who control all activities and can often cause good referees to give up USSF certs in lieu of non-sanctioned leagues. Many become paid assignors and I've seen where some have partnered wirh soccer retail to resell USSF gear through cert/recertification classes. (6) Leagues who do not support referees. If you find that league does not stand behind referee decisions, find another league as it could put you in dangerous situation , especially adult leagues.

U.S. Soccer Federation2015-09-28
  9. "Good for a high school student"

I have been working at U.S. Soccer Federation

Pros

Make your own schedule, no committments, well paid

Cons

dealing with uneduacated coaches, parents, and players.

U.S. Soccer Federation2015-09-27
  10. "Referee"

I have been working at U.S. Soccer Federation

Pros

Reffing soccer is an easy fun way to make extra money on the side. USSF really has nothing to do with the experience of soccer referees on the field-- that has more to do with the specific leagues.

Cons

I have no cons to write about USSF, however I am required to because there is a 20 word minimum. I think I've about hit 20 words.

U.S. Soccer Federation2015-07-30