U.S. Vision 120 Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

1.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Adam Levy

Pros
  • Great atmosphere, great people to work with, management very employee oriented (monthly free lunches, contests, etc (in 5 reviews)

• Employee discount on glasses is amazing (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • No raises unless you threaten to quit, if you get a bad district manager your job will be hellish (in 12 reviews)

• Overtime is mandatory when they ask (Which is 2-3 times a week and almost every saturday) so if you can't do it don't bother applying (in 5 reviews)

1. "Great place to work!!"

Former Employee - Lab Orkr
    Former Employee - Lab Orkr

I worked at U.S. Vision full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, great perks, flexible management.

Cons

None I can think of

Advice to Management

Management doesn't have it easy, they are definitely making changes for the better and I've seen lots of improvement.

2. "Ok"

I have been working at U.S. Vision full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Discount good workers very flexible

Cons

Overtime mandatory takes long for advancement

3. "Stone Age Retail Mentality"

Former Employee - Licensed Optician Manager in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Licensed Optician Manager in Charleston, SC

I worked at U.S. Vision full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I must enter at least 5 words for Pros.

Cons

I've worked for all the major optical companies, Luxottica, Wal-Mart, Costco and others. U.S. Vision was by far the wort professional experience I've ever had. Middle and upper management were horrible. Multiple times I'd arrive in the morning, and as the manager listen to company conference recordings wherein we were told our "heads were going to roll" if we didn't achieve benchmarks. I was accused of sleeping at work, while I was in reality doing inventory by myself at two different locations due to hours being cut, and I was repeatedly talked down to and belittled, before receiving a phone call telling me my hours had been cut to 16 a week.

Advice to Management

Upgrade the stone age lens tech you're using. The PAL technology we carried was designed over a decade ago. Upgrade the corporate culture. If you're wondering why places like Costco and LC are "eating your lunch" it's because middle management is harsh and unprofessional. Give your host store managers some marketing support and look at what companies like Costco are doing, mimic their success.

5. "Optician"

Former Employee - Licensed Optician in Johnston, RI
    Former Employee - Licensed Optician in Johnston, RI

I worked at U.S. Vision full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very good pay but bo raises.

Cons

The hours are aweful, if you don have a life, this job could be for you. No raises in 6 years for anyone. People that get hired after you with hardly any experience WILL be making more than you. Working in a wholesale club, is very loud you cannot hear people or anyone on the phone, heck you can't even hear the phone ring. Most of the customers were rude aND wanted everything for nothing! A pair of high Def progressives in a very good frame LESS THAN $300 abd they complained! Management only cared about the numbers! And last but not least, I left on dec.26th, here it is January 22 and I still haven't recieved my last pay check!! We got paid weekly. Not a happy former employee!

Advice to Management

Take care of your employee's, they ate who give you YOUR bonuses. Stop screwing around with incentives, just because stores don't make their goals, doesn't meet the employees didnt work hard. They should be get the higher commission due to no damn raises. I was a faithful employee and it's rather frustrating how this company treats employees. Also, if employees are sick, and cant make it to wirk, bite the bullet and let the store be closed due to not enough help!! Someday there is going to be a law suit against you. I could go on...

"Licensed Optician"

I have been working at U.S. Vision full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As a whole, NONE! I stay because my direct supervisor at my location is a great manager and appreciates the staff. Also, I have an easy commute.

Cons

-No raises - just excuses in Memos telling us to sell more to make more commission (which corporate has restructured to ensure you don't make much, if anything)
    -401k frozen indefinitely
    -Quality of eyewear is atrocious: 2-3 week lead time, then glasses don't pass inspection (wrong rx, scratched lenses, defective frame, shipped to wrong store, etc.) which leads to longer wait time for customer
    -Corporate preaches customer service and shoves sales goals down your throat, yet don't deliver quality eyewear in a timely manner
    -Constantly apologizing to customers for late jobs and poor quality. I "retrain" customers on how to clean glasses with A/R because it's their fault it scratches in less than a month and is delaminating.
    -Remaking glasses daily due to lab errors/terrible frame quality/crappy lenses and coatings....the worst part: lab calls questioning your no charge remake after 30 days, then you must get DM approval.
    -the kicker: January 31 is the end of their fiscal year - which means this month is when the glasses come in quicker with less errors, which proves all these quality issues can be eliminated!
    -Hourly rate for licensed opticians is much lower than competitors
    -Expect you to wear lab coats and stopped reimbursing you
    -Exteremly high turnover resulting in shortage of store coverage
    -Used to be closed in holidays

"Need Better pay"

Current Employee - Licensed Optician Manager ABO/NCLE in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Licensed Optician Manager ABO/NCLE in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at U.S. Vision full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Paid time off
    Not much supervision from upper management
    Own schedule
    Ok commission if you make your goals and can sell well

Cons

Very poor quality frames
    Lab is terrible
    Lenses come in scratched and off centered on a daily basis.
    2-3 week wait time
    Pay (Making less then other managers even though you've got more certifications just because they've been here longer)
    Optechs make minimum even though they've been working for years.
    Under staffing because of budget cuts
    Retail (crazy customers)

Advice to Management

No complaints on upper management. My district manager is great and very hard working. Sure she's under paid as well.

"Optical Manager"

Current Employee - Optical Manager
    Current Employee - Optical Manager

I have been working at U.S. Vision full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Easy job, lot's of flexibility. One free pair of glasses per year.

Cons

Going on four years and no raise.Lab is the worst! I have never seen such shoddy work. The quality department will pass anything. Three CEO's in three years. I can't keep up with who's who in upper management because of the turn over. Little to no training. Too many offices don't have Doctors. Not enough staff to fill store hours or cover time off.

Advice to Management

Have some integrity.

"Failed Leadership"

Former Employee - Licensed Manager, District Trainer in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Licensed Manager, District Trainer in Tucson, AZ

I worked at U.S. Vision full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Positive working relationship with District & Regional Manager.
    Supportive host manager.
    Opportunity to mentor others.

Cons

1. Lab Manufacturing: Over 50% of orders have to be returned to the lab for not passing ANSI standards. Long wait times, 20% + of all orders take over 6 weeks to arrive. This lab has a long history of service delays and poor quality.
    2. Senior Leadership: They are all very smart, and silent.
    3. Benefits are very expensive.
    4. No 401k match.
    5. History of wage freeze due to not meeting profit plans (see con #1).
    6. Outdated systems.
    7. Outdated exam equipment.
    8. Poor quality frames that fall apart within a year.
    9. Very expensive warranty for eyeglasses compared to the competition.

Advice to Management

Sometimes tough and provocative decisions have to be made to remain relevant in the marketplace. Future growth is questionable unless long-standing quality concerns with lab manufacturing are addressed.....and resolved.

"Horrible Company! Uneducated managers and supervisors! Horrible Quality! Horrible culture!"

Former Employee - Assembler in Blackwood, NJ
    Former Employee - Assembler in Blackwood, NJ

Pros

Free fruits and popcorn sometimes

Cons

Uneducated and dumb managers and supervisors
    The Quality is HORRIBLE!
    Things will never get done properly
    Hiring people from off the street
    Sick culture
    Ancient machinery
    There is no any career opportunity (A sheer dead end jobs)
    Unattainable rates

Advice to Management

teach your supervisors not to whistle, making animal noises and mock people in the workplace. It's not a zoo or a jungle!
    Try to educate your associates to respect customers. They are sending customers defective lenses which can affect their visions. It's not fair. Don't do that to your customers. This is the reason why people are going to your competitors. Your quality socks! And your managers and supervisors force the associates to send the glasses to the customers as they are, even if they're defective!
    If customers find out the problem, they will send it back, that's why you get thousands of rejects each month.
    I know you love productivity, but don't sacrifice quality for the quantity!
    Your company needs a change! Adam Levy does not know how to attract people to the company-owned store. Your company is going to go bankrupt.

"equal pay"

Pros

free glasses after a year

Cons

In many situations, a male is getting paid more than his female counter-part.

Advice to Management

be more proactive, not reactive
    Don't throw your work on your employees