U.S. Xpress Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
U.S. Xpress CEO Eric Fuller
Eric Fuller

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Positive work environment and upbeat culture (in 29 reviews)

• I started on the dollar tree account out of Savannah Georgia; it was a lot of work hand unloading the trailer but good pay (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours are part of the business (in 18 reviews)

• They often are not honest with the fleet managers (in 17 reviews)

1. "First time on glass door"

Current Employee - Training Advisor in Yukon, OK
    Current Employee - Training Advisor in Yukon, OK

I have been working at U.S. Xpress full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I enjoy staying active on family dollar

Cons

Some stores are slow and the heat can suck.

2. "Cdl driver kroger dedicated"

I have been working at U.S. Xpress full-time

Pros

Good money pretty easy work.

Cons

They work you too much even if your home daily you could be working up to 15 hours a day.

3. "Class. A driver"

Current Employee - Cdl A Driver in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Cdl A Driver in Irving, TX

I have been working at U.S. Xpress full-time

Pros

Good money and great benefits

Cons

Never home, dealing with over the road problems high stress, causes family problems

Advice to Management

I’m a hard worker I’m just looking to be home more for my family

4. "Beware"

I worked at U.S. Xpress full-time

Pros

Some good people and departments; promote from within.

Cons

No vision/strategy or positive corporate culture. Executives never leave the C-suite, provide little guidance or feedback, and don't seem to understand some important aspects of the organization. I've lost track of the number of times since I left that people have spontaneously (i.e., before I offer any assessment) commented something to the effect of, "That place must really suck. Everyone I know who's worked there has hated it....I can't think of anyone who has anything positive to say."

5. "Team Driver OTR"

Current Employee - Team Driver in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Team Driver in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at U.S. Xpress full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They are an easy company to get started with, they pay for truck driver training. They work you. You get a truck.

Cons

They DON’T care at ALL about their drivers!! We are a husband and wife team that drive nationwide. They would keep us out no problem for seven weeks before we saw home, and trying to set up hometime/ seeing our kids we have custody of is impossible!! We can set a hometime “request,” because that’s what it is a request six weeks prior. This company believes they OWN you, after 24 hours has past your requested time to be home, they only have a policy to “have a plan to get you home” at that time. Easily making you 30+ hours behind for anything scheduled, doctors appointments, child custody arrangements, court dates it doesn’t matter. They OWN you is their philosophy, and your time off doesn’t matter. As long as you keep making money for the support team to go home and shower daily and sleep in beds not bouncing down the highway at 68 mph. We have lost almost $20,000 of promised bonuses, even completely moving to another state with promises of a relocation bonus, to be denied it and forced to be homeless and live in their truck for months, before returning and losing our “new team” bonus. They want you to work almost EVERY TIME you ask for time off, they HONESTLY DONT CARE ABOUT THEIR DRIVERS except the ones that have no lives and just are an extension of the driver seat. They can’t keep drivers around, and don’t understand why. If they were forced to only shower once a week, forced to stay at work and work all weekend when they had plans... THEY WOULD QUIT TOO!

Advice to Management

Put yourself in your drivers shoes, and underwear... imagine getting high value load, after high value load, after high value load.. never being able to shower.. never being able to go buy groceries. Not being allowed to use the restroom for four hour stretches, not getting even ONE SINGLE hour for yourself a day. Now imagine your wife, being stuck with your stinky self, think she’d want to touch you?!? Think about your wife, visited by her monthly bloody companion, not being allowed to shower daily, think she’s cranky alone?... try CRANKY not showering for four to five days during that time. Tell me you wouldn’t quit, or figure SOMETHING out to save your marriage, or even just your sanity. Hint, hint, not all your drivers are retarded, quit treating them all like they all are too. And if your job is to sit in the air conditioning answering a phone working on a computer and you have a stank attitude all day, just quit, because the drivers that aren’t getting paid enough so the company can buy YOU extras, and you stuff your face with driver appreciation meals, that the true team drivers that never stop rolling don’t even see... we don’t appreciate the attitude when WE need help, earning their salaries.

6. "Fired after brakes failed causing non-fatal traffic accident."

Former Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at U.S. Xpress full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Consistent miles and loads. No touch freight.

Cons

After the accident, a preliminary, roadside check demonstrated that the brakes were faulty. U.S. Xpress refused to have the truck's brakes inspected.

Advice to Management

When a trucking company starts playing the blame game after an accident rather than searching for THE root cause, they are playing with people's lives. 80,000 pounds at 65 mph with faulty breaks is an invitation for death and disaster.

7. "Former driver"

Former Employee - Driver in Tunnel Hill, GA
    Former Employee - Driver in Tunnel Hill, GA

I worked at U.S. Xpress full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Drive newer trucks nothing less than a 2015

Cons

Never enough miles to make the pay you need

Advice to Management

Give better miles

"Frustrated"

Former Employee - OTR Driver
    Former Employee - OTR Driver

I worked at U.S. Xpress full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a good company for drivers who are just starting out. But having patience is a must.
    For first timers, the pay is competitive.
    A good company to get the experience needed to be a great driver.

Cons

Newer fleet managers are hired that don't have the experience or the knowledge of what drivers deal with daily.
    The driver to fleet manager ratio is on average, for newer FM's (35/1), for the more seasoned FM's (50/1). That's just the daily 8-5/ M-F Fleet managers. Nights and weekends are even worse. Getting through to dispatch on nights and weekends is virtually impossible.
    The planners are so overwhelmed at times, that they don't pay attention to the hours that you have left on your clock or whether you have home time coming up. Next thing you know, they're dumping a load going the opposite way or too far for you travel.
    I could keep going, but I'd run out of space.

Advice to Management

Give better training to your newer FM's. Stop putting impossible goals for them to meet so they can be more tolerable and friendly to their drivers.

"Company driver"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tunnel Hill, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tunnel Hill, GA

I worked at U.S. Xpress full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good company for breaking into the industry for new drivers

Cons

After a year of full time employment and no incidents , goid driving record/history, I got stuck with "quite while under dispatch" on my record(it's still there2018) even though they force dispatch!!! Do not recommend!!!

Advice to Management

Treat your good drivers like people and maybe they'd stay...stop the dispatchers from trying to threaten the drivers!!!

"Supervisor"

I have been working at U.S. Xpress full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great entry company to the industry. Newer trucks, and mostly friendly people. Newer software that works most of the time

Cons

No appreciation for office staff in the field. No accountability of poor performing drivers, due to the constant fear of losing drivers.

Advice to Management

Focus on getting good qualified drivers and retaining them. Just filling a seat with unqualified drivers isn't helping anyone