UBM Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
UBM CEO Tim Cobbold
Tim Cobbold

Pros
  • great work/life balance, work with passionate people (in 24 reviews)

• Great people to work with and contacts established (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • The revolving door of upper management is a bit unsettling (in 18 reviews)

• No room for growth/raises, management doesn't know how to treat their employees (in 9 reviews)

"Good Company in the Tradeshow Biz"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at UBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Good Pay for the industry
    -They have the best roster of shows so it's easy to diversify your experience
    -Overall pretty corporate, but still (depending on your department) open to ideas and creative new solutions

Cons

- Very corporate
    - Like any company of this size, always first priority is bottom line

Advice to Management

- Put people in positions they can excel in instead of trying to make them fit a mold of the position they might have been hired for and/or outgrown

May 16, 2017 – Head of Internal Communications

Thanks for posting. Yes, innovative career development pathways are key at UBM.

"Exciting Industry and Great Co-Workers, Very Little Employee Appreciation"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at UBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great team, amazing client base and client relationships, events is continually changing and an exciting industry with the fun of traveling. The outlook is bright with continued growth and expansion in the different industries.

Cons

Big issues with job growth and promotions, a lot continually pushed to the wayside. A lot of words with very little backup on actually appreciating the employees who you are overworking and undercompensating. No job paths or career development. Middle management is spread thin with no real time to take an interest in their employees along with helping to develop and grow those employees.

Advice to Management

Don't wait until it is too late to do something, otherwise you will continue to lose great employees whom you claim to value and want to invest in. Back up your words with some actions.

"Loved my work, management issues"

Current Employee - Director of Operations in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Operations in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at UBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great team environment, great vendor relationships,

Cons

Issues with growth and promotions, not open to innovations, overworked key employees without proper compensation, poor middle management

Advice to Management

Listen to your younger employees and be open to creating opportunities for those that show initiative and leadership potential.

May 16, 2017 – Head of Internal Communications

Really appreciate the feedback.

5. "Janitors"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Convent Station, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Convent Station, NJ

I have been working at UBM part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great location close to home

Cons

I ca'complaint about it I don't know this words

Advice to Management

They need to have more communication

"Great culture, poor management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at UBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great work/life balance, work with passionate people

Cons

Lots of turnover due to lack of direction and career growth. Compensation is not commensurate with responsibilities.

Advice to Management

Show appreciation when employees take on additional roles

"Best Company I've Ever Worked For"

I have been working at UBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I joined UBM about a year ago and after nearly 10 years of working for a few different corporations, I can say it is truly the best company I've ever worked for. There has not been one day where I have dreaded going into work since joining UBM and I can attribute that to the amazing company culture, fun and casual office environment and supportive team members. The benefits are great- 401k with company match, a few different medical options, tuition reimbursement, ample time off and time off to volunteer and employees are given brand new company laptops and cell phones which makes it easy to take advantage of the lenient work from home policy. Best of all, it is a global company that is not going anywhere and I see so much opportunity for growth here. I am looking forward to spending many more happy years with UBM.

Cons

While not deal breakers, it would be nice to have Summer Fridays as well as work spaces that were a bit more private.

Mar 21, 2017 – Head of Internal Communications

Hope we have many happy years with you, too!

8. "Transition Coordinator"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA

I worked at UBM (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pros: Access to job advancement education

Cons

Company can shut down a office very quickly.

Advice to Management

Have an open dialogue with employees

Feb 16, 2017 – Head of Internal Communications

Appreciate the feedback. More small-group meetings and feedback tools will hopefully help he dialogue.

"Changes abound!"

Current Employee - Managing Editor in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Managing Editor in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at UBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Seems to be in the midst of change, but retaining most of its core people

Cons

Editorial has seen some layoffs, editorial doesn't matter as much as events to management

Advice to Management

Dedicate more resources to improving editorial products

Feb 16, 2017 – Head of Internal Communications

Love this headline - indeed, changes abound. Thanks for the feedback on media.

"Beware if you're in marketing"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at UBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Loved the people I worked with
    - Made lasting relationships and learned a lot from colleagues
    - Opportunity to travel
    - Beautiful office view of Pikes Peak

Cons

Marketing Managers are really just glorified project managers, dealing with the politics of stakeholders and the corporate agenda, while coordinating multiple projects. There is no room for creative thinking or career growth here, so say goodbye to any marketing skills you had because it's all about how fast you can get something out the door. Every project is dissected and outsourced to centralized teams where it takes three times as long to get anything done. Systems are also outdated and not compatible with new technology so be prepared to do a lot of manual work and expect lots of roadblocks when trying to accomplish what seems like an easy task.

There is an unrealistic expectation to juggle the workload of 3 people's jobs, while attending 8-12 hours of meetings per week, keeping internal and external relationships satisfied all at the same time. And when you don't meet this expectation, you will be blamed for everything. Management does not support you or what you do, and takes no responsibility for their severe lack of industry knowledge and inability to properly manage the team. You can try to explain the challenges you are facing, but no one will ever listen. To make matters worse, when members of your team frequently get laid off or leave the company, they do not replace them. You will be expected to pick up the slack and keep on performing at an efficient level.

The salary is well below average, and it's nowhere near close enough to compensating you for what you will have to put up with. The open office environment is equally disappointing with a terrible layout, distracting noise level, and a lack of adequate conference rooms - leading to meetings in the break room where people are no longer able to have breaks. Overall morale is terrible, there is frequent turnover and most people are unhappy in their jobs.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees when we tell you something is wrong. You ask for our honest feedback, but then don't like what we have to say. Try fixing the issues that we keep bringing up instead of pushing us out the door. You will keep losing good people with good talent if you don't address the core management issues that are bringing down the team.

"Great Place That Is Growing, But Still Feels Like Family"

I have been working at UBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Solid business performance. Well positioned to grow in size. Nice people work here. Opportunity for personal development and advancement.

Cons

Growth comes with growing pains. Doubling the size of the business means changing how we do business. Specifically looking to leverage our scale, rather than just being a collection of small companies.

Advice to Management

Continue, and even increase, frequency of communications on how we are growing and changing.

Jan 4, 2017 – Head of Internal Communications

OK, more communications to come.