UBM Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
UBM CEO Tim Cobbold
Tim Cobbold

Pros
  • The expectation and workload can be immense although the company have a very fair work life balance ethic and are good to employees (in 25 reviews)

• Great people to work with and contacts established (in 29 reviews)

Cons

"Rearranging chairs on the Titanic"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at UBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The office is located in a nice office in Santa Monica.

Cons

Higher ups in the UK get preferential treatment. The company restructures and does a layoff almost every year (if not every year). There is no brand continuity even in the same events. Office politics are of utmost importance if you want to move up.

Advice to Management

Sell your assets and let it go before you completely lose the business.

"Out of touch with employees"

Former Employee - Engagements Team in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Engagements Team in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at UBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Clean office and great locations: Santa Monica, San Francisco and New York

Cons

Management is completely out of touch with employees. Managers spend all their time in meetings and not enough time communicating (or demonstrating) a vision. I worked in a horizontal services (whatever that means) team that was designed to serve multiple businesses, however, my group spent more time working on initiatives within our group rather than on working with the business units it was designed to serve.

Advice to Management

Spend more time communicating with employees and involve them in design of future strategy.

UBM Response

Sep 2, 2016 – Head of Internal Communications

Thank you. Yes, my own relatively new role is to help fix that gap in communicating vision and strategy -- including the part of communication that is about listening. For starters, the CEO is having ... More

"Unpredictable and unorganized"

Former Employee - Sales Support in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Support in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at UBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Travel to trade shows. Friendly staff.

Cons

Lack of leadership. High employee turnover. Underpaid.

"Bad management"

Current Employee - California in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - California in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Located in heart of sf

Cons

Bad management, people rarely stay for over a year, many people leave the company

UBM Response

Jun 8, 2016 – Head of Internal Communications

I can absolutely see how it feels like people leave fast, especially in white-hot San Francisco. As a global business, with offices in many US cities as well as in London, Hong kong, Amsterdam, etc ... More

"Warning about positive reviews!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Office has roof if it's raining.

Cons

I see some recent reviews about how super cool! UBM is in NY. If you are a young girl, you're bound to think so. If you are male, or an adult, you will definitely not think so. Consider yourself warned.

"Not a good company to work for"

Former Employee - Worker in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Worker in Lenexa, KS

Pros

Has very nice clients good employees that work very hard and are good honest people

Cons

Owner of company very money hungry doesn't care about employees treats them like their dogs over worked under paid doesn't offer employees any benefits no raises

Advice to Management

Needs to improve his attitude towards employees and towards clients doesn't hire caucasian people has no values or morals

"Account Director"

Former Employee - Account Director in Amherst, NH
    Former Employee - Account Director in Amherst, NH

I worked at UBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are out of work and need a job go for it but, keep looking and improve your situation at the first opportunity you get.

Cons

If you are a creative person with your own ideas steer clear of UBM. The focus on cost cutting has resulted in outsourcing many jobs to India and Poland. Offshoring the billing function was a debacle. Because the company is global what looks good on paper in London doesn't necessarily translate to the USA and other regions.

The editorial product has deteriorated steadily over the last 3 years due to lack of resources and an emphasis on Events. UBM is getting pecked to death by a multitude of smaller more nimble competitors.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to the local markets and let mangers make decisions based on the situation at hand vs global implantation of the same standers across the entire company. Centralization and cost reduction isn't the key to growth

"Marketing and Sales Intelligence"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at UBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There were a few team-oriented people that worked extremely hard to get the job done efficiently and were good at their roles.

Cons

The company is composed of people that have worked there for 10(+) years and came from other acquired companies and young kids out of college with this being the first role they've ever had and no management training. Both groups were extremely cliquey. The younger group tried to celebrate often with beers and brag about a "startup-like environment," but top management never seemed to really approve. There have been several waves of lay-offs in the last couple of years and the company isn't improving. Most people ran scared and afraid that they'd lose their jobs. The HR team was lazy and never did their job correctly, including pay my severance in time after I left. The company is notoriously cheap (as explained by the recruiting company that connected me) and insisted on extending my contract rather than pay me salary and benefits after our original three month contract when I started. Pay stubs later revealed that they paid much less than my agreed upon wage!

Advice to Management

Organize your company properly and stick to it. Take responsibility for the people you employ. Create a better culture and community for your employees.

9. "Administrative"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

My team was great to work with, good people

Cons

Lack of transparency and accountability. Things were "planned" behind closed doors. HR is useless. Corporate culture is "everyone for themselves". Hard to het promotes, no career advancement programs or trainings - no reward or recognition.

Advice to Management

Booo

"The people are the bright spot in this stagnant company."

Former Employee - Events Group in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Events Group in San Francisco, CA

Pros

The culture of people and the talent is hard to beat. I've made some life-long friends working here. The exposure to various responsibilities also enhanced my career background as well.

Cons

Senior Management talks an optimistic future, but they really don't know what lies ahead. During my < 3 yr tenure, UBM Tech had 3 different CEO's - yes, THREE. They're on number 4 now. No one's job is safe; they've been laying off people who've given their heart and soul to the company for years. To any outsider, this should scream instability. There's a lot of politics here too - it's a wonder internally how some of the EVP's were put into their position.

Advice to Management

Be more honest with your employees - and realize that your actions are facilitating a terrible corporate culture.