UBM Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
UBM CEO Tim Cobbold
Tim Cobbold

Pros
  • Great benefits and good work/life balance (in 24 reviews)

• Great people to work with and contacts established (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • The revolving door of upper management is a bit unsettling (in 18 reviews)

• No room for growth/raises, management doesn't know how to treat their employees (in 9 reviews)

"Beware if you're in marketing"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at UBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Loved the people I worked with
    - Made lasting relationships and learned a lot from colleagues
    - Opportunity to travel
    - Beautiful office view of Pikes Peak

Cons

Marketing Managers are really just glorified project managers, dealing with the politics of stakeholders and the corporate agenda, while coordinating multiple projects. There is no room for creative thinking or career growth here, so say goodbye to any marketing skills you had because it's all about how fast you can get something out the door. Every project is dissected and outsourced to centralized teams where it takes three times as long to get anything done. Systems are also outdated and not compatible with new technology so be prepared to do a lot of manual work and expect lots of roadblocks when trying to accomplish what seems like an easy task.

There is an unrealistic expectation to juggle the workload of 3 people's jobs, while attending 8-12 hours of meetings per week, keeping internal and external relationships satisfied all at the same time. And when you don't meet this expectation, you will be blamed for everything. Management does not support you or what you do, and takes no responsibility for their severe lack of industry knowledge and inability to properly manage the team. You can try to explain the challenges you are facing, but no one will ever listen. To make matters worse, when members of your team frequently get laid off or leave the company, they do not replace them. You will be expected to pick up the slack and keep on performing at an efficient level.

The salary is well below average, and it's nowhere near close enough to compensating you for what you will have to put up with. The open office environment is equally disappointing with a terrible layout, distracting noise level, and a lack of adequate conference rooms - leading to meetings in the break room where people are no longer able to have breaks. Overall morale is terrible, there is frequent turnover and most people are unhappy in their jobs.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees when we tell you something is wrong. You ask for our honest feedback, but then don't like what we have to say. Try fixing the issues that we keep bringing up instead of pushing us out the door. You will keep losing good people with good talent if you don't address the core management issues that are bringing down the team.

"Editor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

A high degree of autonomy, whatever that's worth.

Cons

Clueless, constantly changing management, lack of vision, inaction in the face of obvious problems.

Advice to Management

Clean house, get someone who understands the value of editorial content, start over.

"Tips on surviving at UBM"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at UBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Before I left my job here, I was one of those people that glorified the hustle. I was making it because I was one of those people that existed off of coffee and worked around the clock, even though I was more miserable than I had ever been. Since leaving, I realize that I should have left so much sooner. You'll give this company so much more than you'll ever get in return. At the end of the day, everyone at UBM is replaceable and treated as though they were nothing, which this company proves time and time again. Layoffs every year like clockwork exist here. I am grateful for the life lessons UBM has taught me - how NOT to treat people and run a business. It's made me a better and stronger person/leader. A successful business, is a lot like life, you're judged by the impact and legacy you have on others ---not what you say you do, but on the actions you take. If you want to be successful, take care and respect my fellow colleagues and the great team I left behind.

Cons

I know some come to this site because they are bitter, that is not my reason for writing. This should be a very transparent warning to any person looking to join UBM. Be aware that there is a perception of a good company, this is not the case. Great people are leaving in droves due to the lack of leadership and overall bad culture. Ask about recent turnover and see the answer for yourself before signing on. It's unfortunate that the higher ups, new leadership, and corporate in London and NYC have no idea what the local teams could truly give to make UBM great. It's easy to sit at corporate and make assumptions about what really goes on in a place, when you only visit a few times a year and spend all your time behind closed doors. Perseverance, loyalty, hard work and results aren't rewarded here. You must learn to master the political game, do not question authority or push for what you believe in. Just say yes SIR and you'll do just great!

Advice to Management

I stayed for as long as I did because I loved my team and thought I could make a difference. I didn't stay because I believed in our strategy or leadership. Stop treating people as though they are meaningless and aren't capable of adding more value. If you think you have all the answers, ask yourself - why is the business in decline or experiencing so much turnover?? You blame the local teams or one of your direct reports, but how about looking inward? The local teams have better ideas, understand our users and data so much better than you. Centralizing most teams is a mistake that will make you lose more attendees.

"Stagnant employment"

I have been working at UBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent time off policy. Can take paid time off to vote.

Cons

Internal promotion is not a priority. Raises are minimal for lower-tier employees, if at all. No organization or communication -- it's a free-for-all, with every department doing things differently.

Advice to Management

Management needs to look into why there is so much turnover in some departments. People are leaving because they aren't treated well or paid adequately -- and this seems to come as a big surprise to higher-ups.

"Company has lost its way"

Pros

Nice office locations, nice people

Cons

Intensely political, not good at formulating or revising strategies, comes up with strategy slogans like "Events First" that aren't very strategic.

Advice to Management

Putting all of your eggs in the events basket seems like a risky move considering that technologies like the internet, video chat, etc. reduce the need for in-person events over time. Events, when done well, can be spectacular but many UBM events still come across as very "old school."

"Senior Account Manager"

Pros

Excellent benefits and flexible work from home policy. The events industry is fast moving, engaging and access to a variety of industries and systems.

Cons

Systems and tech issues and brands are disconnected from corporate decision making. Senior leadership moves consistently and limited growth opportunities.

Nov 29, 2016 – Head of Internal Communications

Flexible work situations are unique at UBM, as is the fun and growth in events

"Company in Turmoil"

Former Employee - Editorial in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Editorial in New York, NY

I worked at UBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Had good health insurance benefits, especially compared to other companies its size. Other departments worked with you - if you knew who to contact.

Cons

Total focus on profits over people; if you don't work on Events, you're irrelevant; little to no communication from management; everyone's out for themselves

Advice to Management

Get some humanity

Nov 29, 2016 – Head of Internal Communications

The focus on events at UBM provides a unified strategy centered on a growing part of the business. It does mean that other areas get less focus, though.

"Marketing"

Pros

Interesting work, good people, not boring, local leadership strong leading to engagement. Hard working but flexible and fun environment

Cons

Leadership in UK doesn't have a clue

Advice to Management

listen to your people

"UK folks running a US Business"

Pros

Folks from London dictate policy without knowledge of regional repercussions

Cons

for a media business, not a good transition from print to online. no long term strategy.

Oct 17, 2016 – Head of Internal Communications

Thanks for the feedback. To add to the perspective, while UBM is headquartered in the UK, it has a very large book of business in the US (check out our annual report at UBM.com). There are three ... More

"Gone downhill"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at UBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people I worked with day-to-day were the very best part of the job - made coming to work something to look forward to even when other aspects weren't so great.

Cons

Management in my group was at best inconsistent, which made it challenging to meet goals. Resources desperately needed, and no support to get them. Overall company morale was low, due to many changes. Exec team had changing priorities from year to year, which is confusing for employees.

Advice to Management

Figure out a direction that makes sense, communicate it, and stick with it. Pay attention to the excellent talent you have, or you will lose them.

May 24, 2016 – Head of Internal Communications

I totally agree that UBM has some of the best, warm-hearted and smart staff. It's sad to hear your management was so inconsistent. These days, UBM has a unified, global strategy, Events First (check ... More