UBM Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
UBM CEO Tim Cobbold
Tim Cobbold

Pros
  • great work/life balance, work with passionate people (in 24 reviews)

• Great people to work with and contacts established (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • The revolving door of upper management is a bit unsettling (in 18 reviews)

• No room for growth/raises, management doesn't know how to treat their employees (in 9 reviews)

"Change"

I worked at UBM full-time

Pros

Fun work, great people, flexible

Cons

Too much change, unclear on who's in charge,

"Great culture, poor management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at UBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great work/life balance, work with passionate people

Cons

Lots of turnover due to lack of direction and career growth. Compensation is not commensurate with responsibilities.

Advice to Management

Show appreciation when employees take on additional roles

3. "Good opportunity to start your career - but then move on"

Former Employee - Marketing Executive in Amsterdam (Netherlands)
    Former Employee - Marketing Executive in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

I worked at UBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

very international office, possibility to travel, responsibility for own projects, fast promotions, many interesting and nice people, especially for young professional it is a good place to start your career

Cons

the company does not invest in a nice office, everything is rather old and not an environment where you like to work

Extremely bad HR department, (rude, threatening and unprofessional towards employees) - resulting in people not being able to approach HR with their issues.

Work can be repetitive and the marketing is not very creative or innovative, if you really want to develop yourself in Marketing you should move on after two years

the company has a very high turnover

Advice to Management

have a good look at your HR department and listen to your employees feedback

5. "Good company, great team"

I worked at UBM full-time

Pros

Great group of people who are driven to deliver great events.

Cons

Challenging marketplace. Lots of competition and it can get challenging.

Mar 21, 2017 – Head of Internal Communications

Thanks for the comments. It's interesting how competition varies by sector - UBM works in many fields (fashion, technology, security, food, cruise, pharmaceutical, etc). Of course, business always is ... More

"When they don't like you, watch out"

I worked at UBM full-time

Pros

Good benefits and such. I mean, they don't cheap out on them, at least.

Cons

When UBM decides it doesn't want you there anymore, whether you screwed up or they've just got to do layoffs, they will be like a bad lover. Reading your emails, monitoring your calls, watching for any little reason to get rid of you for cause. Management is in the UK and doesn't give a darn about the Americans in any way shape or form. You're cattle, unless you're also British.

Advice to Management

Stop buying things and immediately closing them. Treat employees like family, not cost centers to be trimmed all the time.

"Horrible culture"

I worked at UBM full-time

Pros

Some of the people are nice, talented and professional - but they do not stick around long.The locations and decor for some offices are nice.

Cons

Roles, processes and goals are not clearly defined. Tech implementations and solutions are hodgepodge. The congeniality of some people is offset by a backstabbing, confrontational culture. Sometimes the cheapest talent is hired instead of the best. Leaders can be socially awkward, negative and uninspiring.

"Best Company I've Ever Worked For"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at UBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I joined UBM about a year ago and after nearly 10 years of working for a few different corporations, I can say it is truly the best company I've ever worked for. There has not been one day where I have dreaded going into work since joining UBM and I can attribute that to the amazing company culture, fun and casual office environment and supportive team members. The benefits are great- 401k with company match, a few different medical options, tuition reimbursement, ample time off and time off to volunteer and employees are given brand new company laptops and cell phones which makes it easy to take advantage of the lenient work from home policy. Best of all, it is a global company that is not going anywhere and I see so much opportunity for growth here. I am looking forward to spending many more happy years with UBM.

Cons

While not deal breakers, it would be nice to have Summer Fridays as well as work spaces that were a bit more private.

Mar 21, 2017 – Head of Internal Communications

Hope we have many happy years with you, too!

"My experience working at UBM"

Former Employee - Project Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Project Manager in London, England (UK)

Pros

I was working at UMB for a year and I truly enjoy the experience. I loved the people and the culture. People are great, positive and friendy. They have loads of social events so you can socialise and meet everyone. They have good benefits and good life balance, offering flexi options. Management cares about staff and their opinion and I felt well taken care off. It was a fantastic experience and I was happy to go to work every day. Plus the offices are stunning!

Cons

I can't think of any

Advice to Management

Continue taking care of your people as you are, you are doing great, it is a great company to work for! Hope to be back at some point.

Feb 20, 2017 – Head of Internal Communications

Thanks for the feedback!

"Great people & place, technologies a bit behind"

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Executive
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Executive

I have been working at UBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are all fantastic, enjoy going to work every day and feel like I'm challenged enough by those around me as well as forming great friendships

Cons

The technology is behind, it's taking a long time to implement new things and none of it currently connects which makes a marketing job quite hard

Advice to Management

Invest not only in the tech but the resources to train people effectively

"Beware if you're in marketing"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at UBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Loved the people I worked with
    - Made lasting relationships and learned a lot from colleagues
    - Opportunity to travel
    - Beautiful office view of Pikes Peak

Cons

Marketing Managers are really just glorified project managers, dealing with the politics of stakeholders and the corporate agenda, while coordinating multiple projects. There is no room for creative thinking or career growth here, so say goodbye to any marketing skills you had because it's all about how fast you can get something out the door. Every project is dissected and outsourced to centralized teams where it takes three times as long to get anything done. Systems are also outdated and not compatible with new technology so be prepared to do a lot of manual work and expect lots of roadblocks when trying to accomplish what seems like an easy task.

There is an unrealistic expectation to juggle the workload of 3 people's jobs, while attending 8-12 hours of meetings per week, keeping internal and external relationships satisfied all at the same time. And when you don't meet this expectation, you will be blamed for everything. Management does not support you or what you do, and takes no responsibility for their severe lack of industry knowledge and inability to properly manage the team. You can try to explain the challenges you are facing, but no one will ever listen. To make matters worse, when members of your team frequently get laid off or leave the company, they do not replace them. You will be expected to pick up the slack and keep on performing at an efficient level.

The salary is well below average, and it's nowhere near close enough to compensating you for what you will have to put up with. The open office environment is equally disappointing with a terrible layout, distracting noise level, and a lack of adequate conference rooms - leading to meetings in the break room where people are no longer able to have breaks. Overall morale is terrible, there is frequent turnover and most people are unhappy in their jobs.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees when we tell you something is wrong. You ask for our honest feedback, but then don't like what we have to say. Try fixing the issues that we keep bringing up instead of pushing us out the door. You will keep losing good people with good talent if you don't address the core management issues that are bringing down the team.