UBS Reviews | Glassdoor

UBS Group CEO Sergio P. Ermotti
Sergio P. Ermotti

3,108 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance completely eroded during my time there (in 90 reviews)

• Long hours, long commute, low pay (in 100 reviews)

1. "Great place for junior bankers to learn and grow as professionals"

Current Employee - Investment Banking Analyst in New York, NY

Pros

Groups normally smaller so greater intimacy but with the resources (brand, human resources / knowledge sharing, production resources, etc) of a global bank

Cons

usual banking downsides - long hours, etc

Advice to Management

More feedback to junior bankers

2. "Great place to start as a Financial Advisor"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

UBS offers new financial advisors a great place to start their careers. They offer a fair salary and measure you on assets not production ... this allows you to build your book of business the right way as opposed to having to put your clients into products that generate production

Cons

Too large of an organization to make significant change

Advice to Management

Stick to what you know best ... wealth management

3. "Nice for the long term, if the firm survives..."

Former Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

Pros

In mid-term or long-term, benefits package, work life balance and career advancement are excellent. Base pay is essentially fixed based on your rank, the bonus of course is where you make the money. I was in a non-banking role within the firm. Pay ended up being higher than you'd make for a similar role at a non-finance firm, but lower than the pure bankers would make.

Cons

Near-term pay can be lower than competitors. Though they can be aggressive on compensation for select employees. Swiss decision making style is bottom up consensus driven which means it can feel like an oil tanker at times.

Advice to Management

Raise some capital.

4. "Great place to work !!"

Current Employee - Technical Lead in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Technical Lead in Jersey City, NJ

Pros

In current market its a safe haven as its backed by a nationalized swiss bank . Also the management was smart enought to write off its bad assets before anyone else when the mortgage meltdown started.

Cons

they stopped serving beer on fridays :( . The headoffice is at Stamford , so lot of projects are run out of Stamford . So for the NY/NJ folks, you might have to make a trip to Stamford once a while , may be more often in some cases

Advice to Management

cant say look up to Goldman as lot of Goldman senior management is at UBS

5. "UBS may be suffering right now, but they will overcome and remain the great company that their are."

Former Employee - Senior Event Planner in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Senior Event Planner in Stamford, CT

Pros

I felt then and still feel they treat their employees with fairness and respect. I don't know about all areas of UBS, but my experience was that I was compensated well, had superior health benefits and was given the opportunity to have a wonderful work/life balance...something I'd never had in my career.

Cons

I didn't experience many downsides, except that some of the senior management seemed to have been promoted beyond their capabilities.

Advice to Management

Make employees, especially senior management, more accountable.

6. "UBS, a great place to build a career"

Current Employee - Analyst in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Analyst in Dallas, TX

Pros

It seems that UBS Global Asset Management and UBS, in general, go to great lengths to admit their mistakes and move forward. Even though UBS has recently suffered a tarnished reputation, I have not been witness to any unethical or questionable actions in my division. The firm and the people within my division have made great efforts to build a culture of inclusion and openess. UBS Global Asset Management tries to obtain and keep talented individuals.

Cons

I would like entire firm to get a better hold of the actions of questionable individuals and/or business practices. I think UBS has already begun to have better oversight. I simply hope this becomes an ongoing practice.

Advice to Management

None so far.

7. "Can weather the storm"

Current Employee - Investment Banking Analyst in New York, NY

Pros

The company is well capitalized to sustain through the downturn and provides good opportunities for learning and advancement. There is generally a good level of management support for internal advancement and tools to help increase one's knowledge base. Managers are generally good about work and life balance with some tools for tele-working. A good place to work that recognizes contribution and talent.

Cons

obviously the financial markets are going through a bit of turmoil though the firm is probably in better position than others. Morale across the industry is low, but likely not specific to the firm (on a relative basis, morale isn't that bad). some beuaracracy as is typical of any big companies.

Advice to Management

keep an environment of less management to let creativity flourish.

8. "UBS - Great place with diverse people and down to earth management."

Current Employee - Associate - Graduate Training Program in Weehawken, NJ
    Current Employee - Associate - Graduate Training Program in Weehawken, NJ

Pros

Great People make working and UBS great. The people are down to earth and easy to be around, yet intelligent and interesting to work with. I had many opportunities while I was there to work alongside senior management. This advanced my understanding of business in general and was a great start to my career. There is a strong open door policy at UBS and I would speak with the MD's or even the CEO on a daily basis. I felt they were concerned about me and my career advancement.

Cons

The type of work in general is grueling, and the facilities are old. Swiss employees strongly favored.

Advice to Management

Cut the fat and make things more streamlined.

9. "UBS is a great place to grow your career and get fairly compensated for your expertise"

Former Employee - Associate Director, Marketing & Communications in Weehawken, NJ

Pros

UBS treats its home office employees very well, even in times of trouble. Rather than conduct arbitrary layoffs, the firm decided to offer voluntary buyout packages to all employees (those in certain integral functions or on particularly essential projects were excluded). I took one of these packages, with a promise that I could someday return to the firm if there was an appropriate position for me and the company was in a position to rehire. Sure enough, the firm has many current employees who are former employees, so this is true; the company does put its money where its mouth is.

Also, communication from management is exceptional. The head of US wealth management is candid, honest, and as straightforward as any line employee could expect or hope for. I remain a big fan of his, and hope to work for him again someday.

Finally, the benefits are terrific. Four weeks of vacation to start is nothing to sneeze at, and the firm picks up 75% of healthcare costs. Holidays are driven by the stock market, but we were often dismissed early on days the market closed early. There is no shortage of classes offered onsite in order to further one's career development, and if you can make a job-related case for it, the firm will also pay for you to take a Series 7 prep class and for you to sit for the exam as well.

Cons

For me, it was more about the commute being too long (4 hours roundtrip) than anything else. Also, I did not particularly enjoy the role I had at the time I left, so I took the buyout in hopes of finding something else more commensurate with my career goals and desires.

Advice to Management

Nothing. I am a fan.

"UBS is a great place for a first year MBA to get experience."

Current Employee - Summer Associate - Equity Research in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Summer Associate - Equity Research in New York, NY

Pros

I am a Summer Associate in the Equity Research department of the Investment Bank. This means that I am a first year MBA student who receives a pro-rated salary and no benefits. UBS has an excellent brand and a great training program which should more than prepare me to receive a full time offer upon graduation.

Cons

UBS has far less name recognition than the uber-bulge bracket banks like Goldman, Morgan Stanley, and others. Most of my "non finance" friends have never heard of the bank.

Advice to Management

Thanks for giving me a shot. You won't be disappointed.

Showing 3,108 of 3,651 reviews