UBS Reviews | Glassdoor

UBS Reviews

Updated March 8, 2017

Pros
  • There is always work to do but work life balance is also not too bad (in 291 reviews)

• Great work environment and upper management support (in 184 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance completely eroded during my time there (in 82 reviews)

• Long hours; limited senior sponsorship / mentorship (in 94 reviews)

"When the Turtle Wins the Race"

Former Employee - Risk Control Specialist in Weehawken, NJ
    Former Employee - Risk Control Specialist in Weehawken, NJ

I worked at UBS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits, excellent opportunity to gain global markets exposure

Cons

Excessive and prolonged decision making process. It took 3 interview and 3 months for me to arrive at a start date that was a US Holiday. Took two months to learn I was not going to receive a promotion.

Advice to Management

I enjoy working here but sometimes there are soo many layers of management and departments doing work that is duplicated by consultants. It just feels like one big dialogue with much to say about nothing.

"Not fun"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I worked at UBS (Less than a year)

Pros

Good working conditions. Competitive pay.

Cons

My experiences were nothing short of horrid. Training is miniscule at best. The systems were presumably ‘state-of-the-art” but fell woefully short of expectations. Coupled with management’s indifference and a feeling of overall dysfunction, I’d say the trek to be at work each day was a living nightmare.

Advice to Management

Advice to Management? Learn how to manage - show some leadership and maturity. Management from top-level to middle management was subpar -and that's being kind.

"Please avoid UBS Asset Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at UBS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I hope to keep in touch with some of my coworkers for the entirety of my career. They have provided me with a wealth of industry knowledge, friendship, and hundreds of laughs. I will remember the company events and bizarre moments I shared with great coworkers.

Cons

UBS Asset Management is a San Andreas Fault of systemic issues.

The dysfunction is unlike anywhere I have ever experienced in my entire life. There's a terrifyingly large portion of the office that still believes it's 2007. There are no consequences for an employee breaking protocol. You’d be more likely to get fired for wearing shorts on casual Friday than for losing the company money. There have been significant cost cutbacks to make the appearance of being a responsible and forward thinking member of the banking community. The cuts have hit bone in certain departments. It’s not feasible to do any job effectively or accurately.

Some business essential software hasn’t been updated since before the recession. You’ll use your talents to surmount these shortcomings and implement process improvements with what you have. The condescending executives, will make careless and disturbing mistakes habitually. You’ll put their confusingly immature attitudes aside and work with them anyway. You’ll even show them how to operate their own trading platforms. You’ll be rewarded at the end of the year by a conversation such as “I know UBS made $5 billion this year but you won't be seeing any of that. It’s not how it works here.”

You’ll put this aside and work even harder the next year, motivated by what you think will be a one-time disappointment. You’ve held the pieces, figuratively and literally, together for a little longer. Your mental and physical health have declined. Your friends and family will “hardly recognize” you.

Another year has passed. There are now permanent and complex issues fixed due to your hard work and creativity. “This is it, UBS will finally show me that it values me as an employee”, you say.

Last year’s disappointments have taught you to manage expectations. With a little luck, you’ll get a small promotion or a small raise. Heck, even a cost of living adjustment will be enough to keep you going.

Your review begins with a manager who you haven’t seen in the office for six months. The conversation begins, “I know UBS made $6 billion this year but you won't be seeing any of that. It’s not how it works here.”

If only I had listened to that Glassdoor review from years ago.

Advice to Management

Please stop squandering money on hiring Annie Leibowitz to produce company propaganda. Please stop making awkward TV commercials about how UBS wants to answer all of your life’s questions. Give your employees the resources they need to provide a perfect product every time for the client. Don’t tell your clients you are the best. Let your work speak for you.

5. "Analyst"

Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at UBS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You collect a paycheck on time

Cons

Across departments the company has no culture, it's a bunch of fish swimming in different directions

Advice to Management

Break the company up and sell it into parts to different owners who can run it properly

"wealth advice center"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Weehawken, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Weehawken, NJ

I worked at UBS full-time

Pros

UBS is truly a global company with extremely important businesses all around the world. the uhnw policy is looking for growth.

Cons

the wealth advice center at ubs makes you feel like they are doing you a favor and some of the new managers are not management material at all.

Advice to Management

pay your financial advisors more than minimum wage in the financial industry.
    also life work balance is horrible.

7. "They don't care about analysts and won't hesitate to fire them"

Pros

UBS offers decent exit opportunities

Cons

MDs are blind to analyst lifestyles and a lot of sector teams are top heavy with more MDs than analysts

Advice to Management

Improve work life balance

8. "Associate director"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at UBS full-time

Pros

The people were nice and friendly.

Cons

Antiquated system, chaotic on boarding process. No accountability, those with limited knowledge of AML process

Advice to Management

Retraining across the board on people skills, update old processes. Update technology.

9. "Director"

I worked at UBS full-time

Pros

At one point in time, was a very decentralized, entrepreneurial, energetic, fast-moving, fun place to be part of a team

Cons

It is no longer the case. The culture has evolved into one of NO

Advice to Management

Examine the culture that has been fostered. Would you wish to work within it?

10. "dont work here"

Pros

sponsors cfa otherwise they dont invest or care about employees

Cons

they totally screw you on pay, head of equity research department known to lie to employees

11. "Levels of Hell"

I worked at UBS full-time

Pros

Lots of autonomy, many well meaning, hard working people.

Cons

Most important corporate driving principle is PowerPoint. Anything in a PPT presentation must be worthwhile and not acted upon, yes, that's right, not acted upon.

Showing 196 of 3,468 reviews