UC Davis Health Reviews | Glassdoor

UC Davis Health Reviews

Updated March 15, 2019

3.7
David Lubarsky, M.D., M.B.A.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "ALL employees must pay for parking :( Sad" (in 9 reviews)

• "pretty low pay, when it's offered at all" (in 7 reviews)

1. "Custodian"

I worked at UC Davis Health full-time

Pros

Good pay for job.
    Benefits/Sick days
    Friendly nurses/ other hospital staff

Cons

Doesn’t allow for further personal development.
    Some drama at times.

2. "Steady place to build your career"

Former Employee - Senior Community Health Specialist in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Community Health Specialist in Sacramento, CA

I worked at UC Davis Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay and benefits, steady hours, immediate supervisor was very supportive

Cons

Had to advocate for making the same wage as my male counterpart, upper management very bureaucratic

3. "Good Money, Always Short Staffed"

Current Employee - Dietetic Assistant in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Dietetic Assistant in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at UC Davis Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The money and benefits here are great compared to other DA/NA positions in other hospitals. 15 days paid vacation per year. Paid sick leave. Paid holidays. Cheap health insurance.

I also love the people I work with in the department. Managers don't hover over you which is great. My boss is approachable and friendly. If you are not a Diet Office position, you get to take your breaks when you want to.

Cons

The department refuses to hire more DA's, especially for help in the Diet Office. The patient count has been going up and up, yet we receive no extra help. They won't even hire more full-time or per diem employees to replace those that have left, just temporary employees for 5-6 months. It often takes that long after someone leaves just to get them in the door. The workload is ridiculous to the point where it's often impossible to take breaks.

Super bureaucratic/corporate policies. Vacation requests will be denied unless you request them about a year in advance, quoting, "operational needs" even though they refuse to hire more people.

Scheduling. You can be scheduled to work at any time between 5am and 8pm. Sometimes you will be scheduled to work until 8pm one day and start work between 5-7am the next day; this is not rare. We work rotating weekends, with split days off. I find this schedule exhausting and not great for work/life balance. If you are new expect to work mostly PM shifts until someone with seniority leaves, usually 10:30am-7pm. You must work at least 2 of the 3 following holidays: Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's. If you are new, you don't get to choose. DA's work all holidays, hospitals don't close.

We are not treated with much respect for our positions. DA's are always getting the short end of the stick. Upper management makes budget cuts to our position constantly, and I'm pretty sure they are trying to phase most of us out.

Although the pay/benefits are great compared to other hospitals I've seen, it's not great compared to other positions within UCDMC and even the department. Technically a BS degree is not required for our position, yet 99% of the people hired within the last 10 years have had a BS in Nutrition or a related field. By not saying that it's required, they get to pay us less. Other positions in the Food & Nutrition department make the same rate as us, and they don't hold a degree.

High turnover. This is due to the fact that it is really a stepping stone to becoming an RD, but also the job can be high stress because of the workload.

The amount of food wasted here is astronomical, and could actually be decreased if they would hire more DA's :)

Advice to Management

HIRE MORE DA'S. Also, hire another Computrition Analyst please.

4. "Not what it should be"

Current Employee - Practice Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Practice Manager in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at UC Davis Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are in it for the benefits and don't care to perform meaningful work, this is the job for you. Oh, and it is next to impossible to get fired from this place, no matter how ineffective and complacement one can be. Additionally, they have so much management staff and so little improvement work that one doesn't have 40 hours of work a week. Vice Chancellor has been there less than a year and he is still formulating his plan so one can only hope that things will improve quickly but if he can't drastically change ELR / HR responses to the most egregious employees, he will not be successful as the union will grieve every single change managers try to implement.

Cons

Disoriented onboarding. No clear organizational goals and upper leadership never discusses them with any part of the management team. Managers who have worked for the organization for years are "retired in place" and make no effort to manage their departments and employees run amok. Often told of new initiatives by upper leadership where no implementation plan exists, the manager role is unclear, and the project implemented without the manager being notified, after which, the project often falls apart and disappears. No standard processes. No organizational support or desire for improvement. ELR resisitant to assisting managers in disciplinary actions, taking more than two months to make simple disciplinary decision on agregious employees and ELR has even discouraged proper management of employees due to union activity. No support from upper leadership including direct supervisor. FMLA abuses with no recourse allowed. If you are new to management, you need to go to Sutter or Kaiser. If you are seasoned manager, you will have little opportunity to do meaningful work. The activity of the union greatly increases the cost of doing business, such as being forced to hire other people to cover the constant absences by those who abuse FMLA, and they are numerous. These concerns are pervasive among management.

Advice to Management

Sutter, Kaiser, Dignity, Methodist, Adventist, just about any other health system is preferrable to this organization. It is incredible that people stay here for years under these circumstances. It is really a tragedy.

5. "Digital Communications"

I have been working at UC Davis Health full-time

Pros

Organization is forward thinking, great benefits, lots of opportunity for growth and advancement.

Cons

Areas work in silos, inconsistency and duplication of information.

Advice to Management

Look at clarifying how different areas are related and integrated. Create top down org charts.

"UCDMC"

I worked at UC Davis Health full-time

Pros

ER Techs are very helpful and smart. Good cafeteria. Good place to learn.

Cons

A lot of coworkers in the ER are very lazy and do not help others. They let patient's IV monitors beep while they sit at the nurses station chatting or playing on their phone. Bad communication to patients. There are a lot of frustrated workers there because supplies always are out, coworkers call in sick all the time, and management doesn't listen.

7. "Clinical Nurse II"

I worked at UC Davis Health full-time

Pros

Great Pay, no mandatory floating.

Cons

Primary nursing care, lack of help.

8. "Fantastic place to work"

Former Employee - Nurse Extern in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Nurse Extern in Sacramento, CA

I worked at UC Davis Health part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-great co-workers
    -good pay
    -strong union
    -opportunities for career growth
    -teaching hospital

Cons

-very competitive
    -no CNA's
    -limited cafeteria hours for night shift

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing and supporting your staff!

9. "Great place to work"

I have been working at UC Davis Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits and room to grow

Cons

No cons that I can think of

10. "Student Assistant III"

I worked at UC Davis Health part-time

Pros

Good to gain experience as a student and some cash too.

Cons

Some positions will require a minimum weekly time commitment.