UC San Diego Health Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Patty Maysent

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Low pay and benefit erosion they refuse to acknowledge" (in 5 reviews)

• "Parking is expensive and hard to find" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Nutrition Services"

I have been working at UC San Diego Health part-time

Pros

Good benefits and decentn pay

Cons

Parking permit costs $80 a month

"Culture of fear, micromanagement"

Former Employee - Project Manager in La Jolla, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in La Jolla, CA

I worked at UC San Diego Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, reasonably good facilities

Cons

Extreme micromanagement, culture of fear to act on anything - whether clinical or administrative, organization wastes tons of money and man-hours.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the consultants taking your money and giving dumb advice. Also take a look at your ROI in the Marketing Department - it’s pretty low and there’s a distinct cult of personality. You don’t need a committee to make a change to the website so that a patient can find where they need to go.

3. "RA"

I have been working at UC San Diego Health full-time

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Limited growth opportunities in the section.

4. "Operating Room from Hell"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse - Operating Room in La Jolla, CA
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse - Operating Room in La Jolla, CA

I worked at UC San Diego Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Staff is all really helpful and friendly

Cons

Management sits in office behind a closed door all day while RNs are running around short staffed in OR. I was there for 6 weeks, it was awful. They don't follow standard OR guidelines and protocols. They don't follow their own policies. Patient safety is at risk and being jeopardized. I quit because it's not a safe place to work, I would not send my worst nightmare here for surgery... especially in July when new residents are left on their own to run the show. TERRIFYING! No amount of money or great retirement would keep me here, I am a nurse, with patient safety and care being my #1 priority. Wrong site procedures, dirty instruments, no consents for surgery, Interviewing/confirming surgeries with sedated patients... the list goes on, and I was there for 6 weeks only!!!!!!

Every time I spoke to management I was told "But this is a teaching facility, it's just the way it is"----GO to Scripps... Stay away from this place unless you're ok with jeopardizing care of patients and your license.

Advice to Management

Hire more staff, acknowledge you have no idea what is actually happening in the OR at Jacobs. As a manager you don't manage people...You manage policies and procedures, and the management here doesn't do anything. And when you bring it to their attention that policies aren't being followed they will remove the policy link from employees access.

5. "Lab Assistant"

I have been working at UC San Diego Health part-time

Pros

Flexible hours because they understand you are a student

Cons

do not have too many complaints

"Good enough for now"

Current Employee - Applications Developer in La Jolla, CA
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in La Jolla, CA

I have been working at UC San Diego Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Easygoing, low stress environment. Nice, clean campus. Good pension.

Cons

Lack of challenging work. Management afraid of new technology... managing data with excel spreadsheets, no electronic signature. Not allowed to work from home so no relief from terrible open office, limited, and expensive staff parking, and difficult SD commutes. Organizational lip service to trends like ‘diversity’ and ‘collaboration’ but no real interest in employee satisfaction or hiring skilled people.
    Low pay and benefit erosion they refuse to acknowledge.

Advice to Management

Embrace technology. Look at how unhappy your employees are... get some decent parking, get rid of misguided open offices, let them work from home. Review wages and benefits... you’re living in the past.

7. "Competitive Pay great benefits"

Pros

Union represented position with strong bargaining power. Pension benefits & full health benefits for employees working at least 20 hours a week.

Cons

Some departments have little support. Make sure to do research on how supervisors are and what the expectations are. Parking in La Jolla can be a pain.

"Unit Secretary"

Current Employee - Unit Secretary in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Unit Secretary in San Diego, CA

I have been working at UC San Diego Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good health and retirement benefits. Competitive pay.

Cons

Employee satisfaction is the least of Managements concern. Staff morale is low. There is no improvement in the current department process to expedite patient care.

Advice to Management

Patient and staff safety should be higher on the priority list than the budget.

"CLS"

Current Employee - Cls
    Current Employee - Cls

I have been working at UC San Diego Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice blend between clinical and academia
    Good benefits

Cons

pay is not competitive for new grads

"Systemic failures"

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst

I have been working at UC San Diego Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- job security (not necessarily a good thing, many in positions that should not be)

Cons

- lack of accountability
    - overspending
    - lack of communication
    - employee egos
    - staffing
    - outdated Tech
    - pay doesn't match private sector

Advice to Management

I have worked at UCSD and UCSF. The same issues run rampant at both locations. I have also done a little consulting with UCLA and see the same issues. Thus I feel it is a UC system issue. Their is NO ACCOUNTABILITY!
     - I have seen departments recklessly spend at the end of the fiscal year due to a "use it, or loose it mentality".
    - I have seen the operating rooms continue to be utilized inefficiently due to NO ACCOUNTABILITY. Surgeons consistently running late due to their own lack of consideration.
    - I have seen IP floor staffing levels consistently below what should be required, due to NO ACCOUNTABILITY. The floors charge nurses do not schedule accurately thus creating strain on float pools and registry needs.
    - I have seen charge nurses deliberately leave patients in the system that have been discharged just to make it appear that their floor is busier than it actually is.
    - I have seen UCSD gloat about being "most connected hospitals". However there is technology that I have seen in other academic institutes that far exceeds the tech I have seen thus far. We don't even have the means to track patients accurately, much less provide automated family updates.