UC San Diego Health Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Patty Maysent

Pros
  • Great people to work with, great work life balance (in 12 reviews)

• Great pay great benefits, lots of potential for growth (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Paying for parking is not unheard of but it is very expensive here (in 7 reviews)

• Low pay in staff research positions, no promotions, staff treated in these respects like they are expendible, research positions are vey competitive (in 4 reviews)

1. "Marketing & Communications"

Former Employee - Marketing/Communications in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing/Communications in San Diego, CA

I worked at UC San Diego Health (More than a year)

Pros

Great workplace and culture. People are ver easy to work with and are very willing to help you with completings tasks and your overall success.

Cons

Sometimes there aren't enought tasks to do. Could be more engaging and have more challenging tasks.

Advice to Management

Please give interns more responsibilties and recognize what they can and cannot do.

2. "Adequate"

Current Employee - Resident Physician in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Resident Physician in San Diego, CA

I have been working at UC San Diego Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good location, great coworkers, overall great city to live in, breadth of resources and specialities within the hospital, management overall somewhat responsive to feedback

Cons

Long hours as a resident, old facilities in Hillcrest, unhealthy food in cafeteria, limited hours and food selection in cafeteria, challenging parking

Advice to Management

More wellness events

"An honest look at whats going on with this hospital..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at UC San Diego Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits/PTO/Friendly work environment/La Jolla campus is beautiful (although hillcrest is a dump)

Cons

No communication, lack of movement in policies (a lot of talk, very little action), terrible resources as an employee

Advice to Management

Here is an honest outlook of what's going on with this hospital. If you are looking for excellent PATIENT Experience, go elsewhere! I've seen the way that patients are treated, and its not positive. I've also been a patient myself, and had issue after issue - zero communication, lack of organization, terrible case management/follow-up, the "patient experience team" is a complete joke! Also, the quality of care, could use some help... My advise to patients is if you are looking for patient experience, go to Sharp, for quality, go to Kaiser.

The issue with the employees at UCSD - is it is virtually impossible to get fired from this organization (Which isn't a bad thing! it just means that crummy employees just stay employed, and instead of getting terminated, they just get shuffled around to new positions).

Since the employees know this, I feel that a lot of the staff - become "lifers" - and once they get settled into their job, they stop doing a fantastic job because they don't have that worry about termination. I know their are plenty of employees who have been with the company for 10+ years and you just look at them like "how are you still here? You're awful!" This is also very conducive to the slow work environment and turn around.

The one part I'd say that is going really well for UCSD is their research teams. I've had the opportunity to work with a few different teams in research dept. and they do some amazing stuff, and really help a lot of people. Keep up the great work!

Overall, if you are looking for an easy place to work, come to UCSD! The benefits are great, lots of time off. But sadly, for patients, its a let down.

4. "Great Employer"

Current Employee - Certified Surgical Technologist in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Certified Surgical Technologist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at UC San Diego Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent location no matter where you live. Great hospital and services, friendly co-workers. Ok food, pack your meals if you work PM's or Nights.

Cons

Parking means high priced and not much security.

Advice to Management

Please consult your worker bees when making changes to the work flow, we sure could help you make better decisions

5. "Working in nutrition services seemed to be promising at first but turned out to be a really frustrating experience."

Current Employee - Nutrition Department in La Jolla, CA
    Current Employee - Nutrition Department in La Jolla, CA

I have been working at UC San Diego Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits. Considerably high pay for food services as compared to other hospitals. Maybe half of other staff are pleasant to work with. Lovely place to work in La Jolla.

Cons

Extremely poor management, does very little to help team unlike every job I've ever had. RARE getting time off approved because constantly short staffed. High turnover rates, I can say I've seen 50-75% of old or new staff leave since I've been here and they aren't replaced on time. UNFAIR distribution of work. NO ROOM FOR GROWTH. TERRIBLE parking, $81/month which is increasing AND barely any parking at all!

Advice to Management

Jump in when your staff needs help. Understand the job is exhausting, maybe shadow one of your workers on the hardest floors to see how it gets.

UC San Diego Health Response

Apr 25, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Manager

We appreciate candid feedback from our employees. We are sorry your experience has not been typical of our new or current employees. It appears you might have started when we were opening Jacobs ... More

"Great People - Management Meh!"

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in San Diego, CA

I have been working at UC San Diego Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People are great. Most stable employment I've had in years. Most are a joy to work with.

Cons

Listened to about a 5 minute ramble of stereotypes about former military from my boss. Not an upwardly mobile institution. Advancement is by getting a different job, and probably a different manager.

Advice to Management

Clear the deadwood. The encrusted good old boys that operate by the seat of their pants need to be replaced by professional managers and true leaders.

7. "Epic Revenue Cycle Analyst, IS"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at UC San Diego Health (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very nice place to work and advance in positions

Cons

None, My workplace environment is very compatible for working mothers

Advice to Management

None

8. "Academic Research"

Current Employee - Staff Research Associate I in La Jolla, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Research Associate I in La Jolla, CA

I have been working at UC San Diego Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, exciting, dynamic work environment, union representation, a tremendous variety of employment options.

Cons

Low pay in staff research positions, no promotions, staff treated in these respects like they are expendible, research positions are vey competitive.

Advice to Management

Use appreciation and positive reinforcement instead of intimidation and threats. Have more realistic expectations so personell don't end up working so much over time and feeling like the work load is impossible to manage. Staff need to have better work-life balance.

"RN"

Current Employee - CN II in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - CN II in San Diego, CA

I have been working at UC San Diego Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work/life balance in terms of vacation and comp time; great pension benefits, free dental premiums; autonomy within nursing practice and encouragement and use of best practice through research.

Cons

Understaffing, lack of CNAs; "who you know" advancement

Advice to Management

Understaffing leads to burn-out!

"Worst Nursing Job Ever"

Former Employee - Clinical RN II in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Clinical RN II in San Diego, CA

I worked at UC San Diego Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay, teaching hospital, one week of pay for education classes offered through UCSD Health

Cons

Incivil working environment, unsupportive, have to pay to park at your job a good chunk of your pay too, useless union dues, no social security benefits, scabies, cockroaches and lice everywhere with crazy, scary patients and no security to help.

Advice to Management

Nurses in San Diego already know this isn't the best place to work

UC San Diego Health Response

Jan 9, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Manager

We value your feedback. We are sorry your experience is not consistent with the great majority of our over 2,000 RNs. The physical work environment, as well as the support of our RNs is clearly ... More