UC San Diego Programmer Reviews | Glassdoor

4.5
Pradeep K. Khosla

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Great Environment, Coworkers, etc."

Current Employee - Programmer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Programmer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at UC San Diego part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love the people I work with here.

Cons

I wish the salary could be higher.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

2. "Great Culture and Environment. Low Salaries."

Former Employee - Programmer/Analyst in La Jolla, CA
    Former Employee - Programmer/Analyst in La Jolla, CA

I worked at UC San Diego full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Supportive culture. Very good health care and retirement benefits package. Generous paid time off. Many commuting and transportation options. Cultural events throughout the year are many and varied. Worthy mission.

Cons

Salaries typically below those in private industry. Low to no annual salary increases. Budget subject to the whims of the state legislature and governor. No free parking, except on holidays and weekends.

"Overall Position, a Few Steep Negatives"

Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in La Jolla, CA
    Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in La Jolla, CA

I worked at UC San Diego full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked in IT on soft money research grants. I had a lot of great opportunities to work for a stable company with research money, toys, and a startup vibe. It's fun working on stuff from the ground up. Lots of talks. Lot's of learning opportunities. Campus is always fun. Plenty of opportunities. Good healthcare, actually, probably the best in terms of choices and cost.

Cons

Smart people often act like children. There are plenty of spoiled PIs with no restraints. Expect grand politics. Academia is indeed a pyramid scheme that takes horrible abuse of its base layer. This wedges IT in a very awkward position. An IT person can easily earn twice the salary of a postdoc. On the other hand, decent campus IT people are paid about 66% of what industry will pay. So sometimes raises and advancements are really awkward.

Advice to Management

Advice to management.... Hmmmm. Stop pandering to out of state students. Stop paying School of Medicine PIs $300,000 while allowing them to moonlight with pet biotechs and hospital rounds. Stop raising tuition. In short, fix the pyramid scheme and act like a state school.

"Good work-life balance, will take time to move up"

Former Employee - Programmer/Analyst II
    Former Employee - Programmer/Analyst II

I worked at UC San Diego full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The weather and work environment is definitely is plus. As a staff member the university provides many opportunities to balance your time between career, friends/family, personal growth, and hobbies. Of course if you want to move up, you need to put in much more time as the process can be slower than when you are in a private company.

Cons

This might depend on where you are working such as a campus institution vs a lab job, but sometimes work can become mundane. Also unless you are faculty parking can be hard to find. I highly recommend taking public transit or biking if you can.

Advice to Management

More incentives to reduce driving. Getting a few parking passes for registering bike is a good start, but there should more. Also maybe creating bike paths through campus. Otherwise no complaints about management.

5. "Easy jobs, low pay"

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in San Diego, CA

I have been working at UC San Diego full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working atmosphere is very casual. The 'corporate culture' is very relaxed.
    Not too much stress aside from the slow career progression.
     Academic and research culture keeps it interesting.
    Generous vacation and holiday days off.

Cons

Pay scale feels incredibly low as budget is low due to lack of funding or extreme mismanagement of financials.
    Managers often promoted to position of least effectiveness and not properly trained. Very wasteful fiscally
    Noncompetitive atmosphere leads to lackadaisical attitude, unmotivated staff.

Advice to Management

Too many to list..

6. "if you like slow paced"

Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in San Diego, CA

Pros

some training provided, holiday time off

Cons

low pay, upper management only cares about themselves

Advice to Management

treat your employees with respect

7. "Programmer Analyst IV"

Current Employee - Programmer/Analyst IV in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Programmer/Analyst IV in San Diego, CA

I have been working at UC San Diego full-time

Pros

Good work balance. Good PTO. Interesting problem and challenges. Although sometimes the problem I work with are too much disconnected with reality.

Cons

Very limited opportunity of career growth. Low salaries.
    Parking is ridiculously expensive (I'm a full time employ and I have to pay for parking!!), and after you pay it is even difficult to find parking, ridiculous!!

8. "no advancement, no recognition for exceptional work"

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst III in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst III in San Diego, CA

I have been working at UC San Diego full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I would not recommend UC San Diego Health Systems to a friend. Very unproductive work environment with very poor upper management

Cons

poor leadership, expect long hours with no compensation or gratitude

9. "Decent, not perfect. Lots of snobs."

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in La Jolla, CA
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in La Jolla, CA

I have been working at UC San Diego full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

For IT folks, there's a wide exposure to various technologies. The dress is extremely casual in most cases. Shorts and sandals have been tolerated everywhere I worked. Growth potential is high.

Cons

Compensation is horrible. Expect a 20% gap. Drama is horrible. I've worked on a lot of grants and have seen crazy bickering. Faculty and principle investigators are spoiled. Many will use employees for personal errands (house sitting, laundry, home IT support). Academia snobbery can be an issue. I have a bachelors which has been fine for years with the exception of my most recent position. With my current position, the boss set the pecking order at: postdocs, PhDs, grad students, bachelors, "IT Guy" (me), and finally visiting high school students. It's a really strange place to be after earning 15+ years of experience. Support varies. Finally, new hires are taking the brunt of supporting the retirement system.

"Ultimately bad"

Former Employee - Programmer Analyst IV Supervisor in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Programmer Analyst IV Supervisor in San Diego, CA

I worked at UC San Diego full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

For the most part, the stability of your job along with a relatively low pressure environment is nice at the time. Being at a university is, if not anything else, intellectually stimulating. The flexibility was nice as well.

Cons

After putting in over 14 years at UC San Diego, my project was no longer funded and all the connections I had made in my time there turned away from me. Years and years of salary freezes, helping people for no benefit, working for the greater good all for naught. NEVER depend on this organization looking out for your career goals if you are non-faculty. It is not in their best interest.

Advice to Management

Show some freaking loyalty.