UC San Francisco Clinical Research Coordinator Reviews | Glassdoor

UC San Francisco Clinical Research Coordinator Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2019

4.1
UC San Francisco 	Interim Chancellor 	Samuel Hawgood  (no image)
Samuel Hawgood
  1. "Great job"

I have been working at UC San Francisco full-time for less than a year

Pros

good hours, kind staff, great location

Cons

commuting can be hard sometimes

UC San Francisco2019-07-18
  2. "Great Job"

I have been working at UC San Francisco full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Yearly raise. Friendly work Environment.

Cons

Prestige over pay. No social events.

UC San Francisco2019-01-11
  3. "Clinical Research Coordinator"

I have been working at UC San Francisco full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great academic setting for those looking for further schooling. Great benefits for employees. Long-term employees love staying with UCSF.

Cons

Low pay for single income. Not sustainable for short-term work.

UC San Francisco2018-11-27
  4. "Sink or Swim"

Former Employee - Assistant Clinical Research Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I worked at UC San Francisco part-time for less than a year

Pros

+ Cutting-edge research + Good benefits + Flexible schedule + Awesome shuttle system + Super helpful IT team

Cons

- Overworked and underpaid; expect to work extra hours without compensation and very little appreciation - Lack of support and training/mentoring - Unclear expectations and guidance on how to improve - Unclear rules and procedures for tedious administrative tasks

Advice to Management

If you want to maintain your high standards for quality research, you need to properly train your CRCs/ACRCs and give them the support they need to do their jobs.

UC San Francisco2018-10-23

"Research Coordinator"

I worked at UC San Francisco full-time for more than a year

Pros

It is a beautiful campus to work in, and you receive great experience interacting with the patients in a clinical setting.

Cons

Highly underpaid for the amount of work that is assigned. There is no clear communication between upper management and HR.

Advice to Management

There is little-no management. Rather there are multiple supervisors who assign responsibilities, and do not cross-check with each other when those tasks are conflicting. Managers do not know how to mentor their research coordinators, as would be expected of someone in a managerial role.

UC San Francisco2018-10-17

"You are working for an institution no matter what dept you are in"

Current Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator

I have been working at UC San Francisco full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great experience learning about clinical trials in oncology with great doctors and staff that have been with UCSF for many years. A lot of prestige associated with the #2 in the country for Clinical Research. You will be challenged, but you will grow - great place to learn new skills.

Cons

You have to join a union, and seems like you need it because though there are steps for moving up the pay schedule, you are not rewarded as such even if you gain certification that would seemingly put you at a higher pay scale after a few years of proving oneself. Thus there is an institution barrier for being adequately compensated for hard work. Also if you commute long distance by BART, Caltrain, etc, your monthly pass is not paid for by UCSF, though you get it as pre-tax dollars.

Advice to Management

Please show appreciation to hard-working employees through raises that are well-deserved otherwise, you will start losing good employees that you invested in.

UC San Francisco2018-06-09
  7. "Research Coordinator"

I worked at UC San Francisco full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great career opportunity where you can learn and grow. The doctors were very down to earth and helpful

Cons

Constant work since the studies consist of working with different universities in different time zones

Advice to Management

LOVED THEM

UC San Francisco2018-02-26
  8. "Clinical Research Coordinator"

Assistant Clinical Research Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I worked at UC San Francisco for more than a year

Pros

Great team at UCSF Memory and Aging Center. Dr. Bruce Miller is a wonderful leader. Physicians, nurses, social workers, and psychologists really care about the research and are great to work with.

Cons

A lot of turnover with coordinators, because we all go off to graduate schools. This can make getting big projects done a struggle. The data technology is also pretty outdated with bad UX.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Maybe hire somebody to revamp the tech team at the Memory and Aging Center. The current team is great but needs more help.

UC San Francisco2018-03-13

"A great place to learn"

I worked at UC San Francisco full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

UCSF attracts some of the most brilliant scientists, students, doctors, and researchers in the world. The atmosphere is friendly but with very high expectations. I was overworked (60+ hrs a week) but learned a ton and adored my colleagues. There is endless opportunity for growth, learning, mentorship, and building collaborative relationships across departments. UCSF definitely has a few things that I would change but overall I would recommend it as a workplace.

Cons

UCSF, in recent years, has had little to no raises & pay is way less than similar industry research jobs. I ended up switching to tech (user research) to increase my salary and improve my work-life balance.

Advice to Management

They need to standardize the workload across departments. Some coordinators manage 30 very complex clinical trials and some coordinators manage two simple studies while getting paid the same amount. Also the strict and very limited vacation time is awful.

UC San Francisco2017-09-20

"Clinical Research Coordinator"

I have been working at UC San Francisco full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good benefits, good opportunity to learn

Cons

Low salary, hard to advance unless changing jobs

Advice to Management

Regular merit-based increases

UC San Francisco2017-09-12