UCI Medical Affiliates Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Center Manager"

Former Employee - Center Manager in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Center Manager in Charleston, SC

I worked at UCI Medical Affiliates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Operations executive allowed onsite management to make decisions as they saw fit in most cases. Gained valuable experience which helped me progress my career.

Cons

Work/Life balance can get a bit tough at times. Even though the schedule was Monday-Friday I still had to work on weekends sometimes. Pay could be a bit higher but overall not too bad for a new manager.

Advice to Management

Increase pay of the staff. As a manager it was hard to retain staff once they had built up enough experience to be attractive to the competition.

2. "Dishonest"

Former Employee - Accounts Payable Coordinator in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable Coordinator in Columbia, SC

I worked at UCI Medical Affiliates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Prior to being owned by BSBC of SC UCI Medical Affiliates a/k/a Doctors Care was a decent place to work.

Cons

Initially, employment with UCI Medical Affiliates was a fairly pleasant experience, but once BCBS of SC became owners they started making changes with personnel, policies and positions. They let a lot of people go and replaced them with their people. They ran people off with their management style that bordered on abusive. They lied to the physicians, nurses, office personnel, etc. They fired three of my supervisors within a six month period. All long time employees with the company. There should be some level of a 'conflict of interest' when an insurance company owns a statewide medical service provider.

Advice to Management

Go back to being privately owned and get rid of the corporate chaos.

3. "Medical Assistant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC

I have been working at UCI Medical Affiliates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great job for people just graduating any form of health care school. Great starting pay, and the job offers plenty of on the job training.

Cons

The job is not a great place for growth, because the people that are there never leave. The employees love their job and the people whom they work with.

Advice to Management

This is a great job, i love the people whom i work with, and the training i receive at this job. The only thing I wish could change is the center going from a 12 hr center to a 24 hour center. If the center was open 24 hrs, this would be a great job for single parents whom are in school, trying to better themselves. I wish this was something corporate could think about , since most of the physicians /providers are use to the ER hours and life style.

5. "Save yourself misery."

Former Employee - FNP in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - FNP in Columbia, SC

I worked at UCI Medical Affiliates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy to get hired because they're desperate for help.

Cons

This company only cares about the bottom line, that is, making money and padding the pockets of Corporate leaders and the Doctors. Very greedy company.

Advice to Management

Treat employees like human being and you will retain them.

6. "HORRIBLE!!!"

Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Aiken, SC
    Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Aiken, SC

I worked at UCI Medical Affiliates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not really any pro but some people are great to work with

Cons

Expect you to work 13-14 hour shifts, management is NOT understanding of children. Constantly short staffed. One of the offices in Aiken was closed for almost a year so staff was constantly move around! VERY HIGH TURNOVER RATE! Longest employees stay is 6 months or less! Management is autocratic!!!! No oppotunties for advancement!

Advice to Management

Start over from corporate to the PSR's and better insurance plans, and more appreciation to your employees

7. "Patient Service Representative Supervisor"

Former Employee - Patient Service Representative Supervisor in Anderson, SC
    Former Employee - Patient Service Representative Supervisor in Anderson, SC

I worked at UCI Medical Affiliates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Overall Doctors Care is good organization to work for. You get tons of experience working there. Perfect place to work if you're an entry-level clerical/administrative candidate.

Cons

Career Advancement opportunities within the organization is not easily accessible. Fair share of office politics. Regional administrator not very supportive.

8. "Xray Tech"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at UCI Medical Affiliates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The employees, such a group of hard working dedicated people, I learned a lot while I was there.

Cons

Pay, benefits, and management where horrible. Over work and under paid, is a under statement.
    Always under staffed, equipment never work properly, and there's always 2-3hr wait..

Advice to Management

Hire and properly training your staff, so everyone can be on the same page.. Fix or upgrade equipment. Mangers should also help when center is busy.

9. "Assistant manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager and Licensed Practical Nurse in Myrtle Beach, SC

I worked at UCI Medical Affiliates (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fast paced environment, plenty to learn, use a variety of skills, access to a variety of equipment such as;CBC machines, centrifuges, spirometry, breath alcohol machines, latest drug screen techniques, able to assist in minor surgeries, wound care, IV therapy, phlebotomy, EKG's.

Cons

Low pay, no positive recognition but a lot of negative recognition, no thought for staff just the corporate profit, many centers are high tension places to work with abuse of employees the norm, no flexibility in schedule if FT, expected to work overtime during peak season times and they will send you home partial days to not compensate you with overtime pay. This is a company that has a massive turn over rate due to low pay, hard work and short staffing.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff, need a change in culture in most clinics, corporate needs to be more involved in their centers and not leave it up to just the word of one person.

10. "USED TO BE AWESOME........THEN CORPORATE CHANGED HANDS......"

Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Myrtle Beach, SC
    Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Myrtle Beach, SC

I have been working at UCI Medical Affiliates full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Wonderful coworkers turned "family"....good dental and vision, 401K and free visits for employee and family as long as u can afford the health ins coverage

Cons

Corporate higher ups have unreasonable demands for "production" we are a medical office not a factory line!!!

Advice to Management

Use your common sense...... don't expect us to treat our patients as farm animals to move em in and push em out. Show your gratitude to your employees esp the ones that have stuck thru thick and thin with the company and all its trials. ..... allow offices to be staffed with ADEQUATE staff so that the workers aren't killing themselves to make it through a day. The person in the position in our corporate office to make these ridiculous rules should come down to our office level and work 1 12 hour day and see how it really goes down. We don't work a cushy bankers hour, in a comfy computer chair behind a nice desk and in a comfortable AC office. Our office is often too hot cause we r actually moving, and IF we get to stop and eat, it's only for a short period time. Holding our urine to the point of making us have UTI and our 12 hour shifts often turn into 13 and 14 hour shifts. But they r sure to make it so that u come in late one day to shave off that time from preventing overtime.

11. "This place has really gone down hill since BCBS bought it out almost 3 years ago."

Former Employee - Nurse in Myrtle Beach, SC
    Former Employee - Nurse in Myrtle Beach, SC

I worked at UCI Medical Affiliates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It could be an excellent urgent care, but greed has prevented them from caring about patients or employees.

Cons

Employees work hours with no breaks. Lowest wages paid. Upper management is disrespectful and demanding. Blatant favoritism is shown to the suck ups. They do not appreciate those who work hard to help grow the business. Discrimination is no stranger to these bunch of rednecks. They make it very clear that the bottom line is all that matters and that they do not care about the patients.

Advice to Management

Pull your head out of your butt and pay attention to what is happening in these clinics.