UCLA Reviews | Glassdoor

UCLA Chancellor Gene D. Block
Gene D. Block

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • high pressure for graduate students to graduate as quickly as possible (in 35 reviews)

• Long hours depending on your professor (in 24 reviews)

"Yay for Student Exploitation"

Former Employee - Research Assistant in UCLA, CA
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in UCLA, CA

I worked at UCLA part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There were no pros. I literally learned nothing and it was a waste of time.

Cons

As a graduate student volunteering as an RA in the UCLA Psych Dept., I must say that I have never felt so undervalued and disrespected in a research environment, and I have worked in many. I worked this lab for three months, driving two hours round-trip to aid with their study before withdrawing. Research students are not waived from the parking garages fees... $15 for the day with no overnight; the coordinator and director were condescending and not helpful during the training process; they do not credit a large majority of their RAs who contribute to the research; heavy workload expected for an unpaid position; they bolster it as a "great opportunity for learning"... more like monotonous gruntwork (no opportunity to advance and work outside of coding); they backpedal on research incentives; and when voicing complaints such as this one... it is ignored and swept under the rug. UCLA, I'm thoroughly appalled at the unprofessionalism and frigidness demonstrated by your faculty. How can anyone hold you in such high esteem when you exploit students workers to maintain your shiny facade of excellence and equity. Seriously.

2. "Smoke and Mirrors"

I have been working at UCLA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, pay, reputation. Provides medical services that are specialized within the area.

Cons

Disorganized, dirty politics, disappointingly deficient nursing staff, lacks vision and direction, distinct tone of racism within the undercurrents of middle & upper management. Union is useless. Culture that "eats it's young". Favortism.

Advice to Management

Revamp your entire HR, teach your managers how to manage, STOP the racism. Really

3. "Have a second thought before accepting a job offer"

Former Employee - Clinical Nurse II in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Clinical Nurse II in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at UCLA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

salary, "magnet" status, working for a prestigious hospital

Cons

unfriendly, unsupportive environment, management, high chance of getting fired while in probation

Advice to Management

I had my worst job experience by accepting a job offer to work as a registered nurse at UCLA Ronad Reagan Med-Surg floor. By the time I accepted the offer to work as an RN full time, I had to quit my secure full time RN job at another hospital and I turned down another very secure job offer from another hospital. My approach was - I am pursuing a career development and where else if not at UCLA RR, a Magnet hospital you get the best chances to develop professionally. I soon learned my lesson that I was wronged. I started with my orientation on the floor and passed all the skills and qualifications requirements from the extensive list that UCLA mandates you to pass, collected all the required signatures from my preceptors. Then I was on my own on the floor. Here is where you all of a sudden become to realize at what kind of environment you are in. The staff is not supportive and not friendly. You have to pass your six months probation. After one month of work, all of a sudden out of blue you will be called by the UM, who would notify you that it appeared to some staff member that you weren't doing certain tasks as they supposed to be done. No staff member will directly inform you about those "mistakes". Because you are in your 6 months probation, you are powerless, you are voiceless and unheard. You will end up either resigning or being fired. UCLA feels that because they are a Magnet hospital, they can easily hire and fire nurses. In the end I didn't feel that anyone cares about you, about you leaving and turning down your other jobs, to became an RN at UCLA and no one cares about what happens to you if you resign or get fired from UCLA. So if you are considering to apply to a Med Surg floor as an RN at UCLA my advise to you is have a second thought, especially if you have to resign your current job

4. "Graduate student researcher"

Pros

Excellent research institution with a wide range of world-class facilities; most professors are top of their fields

Cons

Little to no regard for students, staff, or entry-level research associates; graduate compensation does not adequately cover cost of living

Advice to Management

Take a serious look at your workplace culture and resources for graduate students

"Toxic Administration"

I worked at UCLA full-time

Pros

If you're a worker bee or toxic long-timer, you can't get fired! You can be as incompetent and evil as you wish, and no one will do anything to you.

Cons

Cuckoo long-timers can make all the racist, sexist, slanderous comments they want and never face the music. It's a hostile work environment to pretty much anyone you can think of. I was even bullied by senior management at a department function in front of everyone for correctly answering a question posed to the group. Many people who work there have never worked anywhere else, or at least have been there for many years. It's no surprise they resent anyone new bringing in industry best practices, even if they get great results. This isn't where you go to grow. It's where you go to collect a pension and die -- bitter and intellectually emaciated.

Advice to Management

Clean house. And if the union's tied your hands, get creative, for heaven's sake. You've got burned out, emotionally abusive people in both management and other key positions. Not everyone, of course -- I worked with some terrific people, particularly in Admissions, and Chancellor Block was gracious. But the administrative core is rotten. I came to work there because I wanted to support a school that makes a difference in the world, but I left crushed. It's impossible to be an "optimist" in this kind of environment. And with our universities being our last hope in a nation currently ruled by anti-intellectuals, it's past time you started rewarding motivated, talented people instead of humiliating them.

6. "Graduate school program (PhD, biological sciences) is HORRIBLE"

Former Employee - Graduate Student Researcher in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Graduate Student Researcher in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at UCLA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you likes sunny and dry weather and like the beach, UCLA is a good choice.

Cons

Lots of immature professor works at UCLA in biology and related field.
    Professors does not know how to manage students.
    No advices given for job searching and job opportunities.
    Very little teaching from professors to students.
    Long hours, low pay. 80 hours workweek is consider normal.
    Many professor yell at and insult students, call them "stupid, idiot, incompetent, etc."
    Many professor want to start a company and think they are big shot, but they are not.
    Student is expect to bow down to professor like they are President Trump.

Advice to Management

Be more mature and learn to manage.

7. "horrible"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at UCLA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It has an okay compensation. Also the workers here some of them are nice.

Cons

UCLA has a horrible policy towards its workers. First off UCLA and the UCs squander money unnecessarily. But also, it then cuts funding to things that matter like research and its workers wages. The location is also terrible since transportation will always be an issue. Please save yourselves the trouble and do not work here.

8. "Luskin Conference Center Reservation Agent"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in UCLA, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in UCLA, CA

Pros

Pay was great at $21 approx. and coworkers are awesome!

Cons

Management doesn't know how to lead or direct staff. They expect you to read minds because they lack proper communication skills. Always get information in writing or make a paper trail through Outlook and Word. Teamsters doesn't protect you within the 6 months probation time, unless Luskin violates policies.

9. "Academic"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Good academic environment and talent people

Cons

Things here are Too Expensive

10. "Just No"

Former Freelancer - Administrative Assistant in Forest Hills, NY
    Former Freelancer - Administrative Assistant in Forest Hills, NY

I worked at UCLA (More than 10 years)

Pros

Made my own schedule. Long lunch breaks and next to major trains and buses.

Cons

Administration only want to admit new students but do nothing for students in the school. Funds should be used for new books and computers since the kids need extra homework help but if you have an opinion it is wrong.

Advice to Management

Teach Parents that it is okay to teach children that their actions have consequences instead of letting parents do and say what they want and students do not mature and do well in class or after graduation.

Showing 43 of 1,537 reviews