UCS Reviews in Fairfax, VA | Glassdoor

1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Business Analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at UCS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great team to work with. Everyone is positive and a focused to give the best products to our clients.

Cons

The fringe benefit package is not the greatest but it is very competitive for a company with 250 employees.

2. "Great people, great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at UCS (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been with UCS almost 5 years and as a consulting company, our people are our business! And I must say it is one of the great things I enjoy about coming to work. From top to bottom we have a professional but fun group of employees and a work environment that genuinely cares about each other. The work can be stressful at times but we all work together as a team and get things done. Our senior management team seems to also always be trying to see what they can do to make things better for us and provide the tools we need to succeed.

Cons

There are some growing pains which most good companies go through that can slow down the company as it tries to deal with expansion. There is also a bit of micromanagement as we grow.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, continue to give employees opportunity to grow, be supportive, but not micro manage. Recognize and reward the best performers for all the good work they do.

3. "Instructional Designer"

Former Employee - Instructional Systems Designer in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Instructional Systems Designer in Fairfax, VA

I worked at UCS (Less than a year)

Pros

Good experience to get started in the government contracting world.

Cons

Limited career growth. Not a meritocracy.

4. "Project Manager"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Fairfax, VA

I worked at UCS full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to work for! Excellent Benefits, Pay and Experience!

Cons

There are no cons. I was very satisfied working for this company

Advice to Management

Hire more!

5. "Makes me feel like family!"

Current Employee - Consultant in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at UCS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great salary, parties, benefits, career opportunities, amazing office, open minded owner.

Cons

Might get a bit un-orginized.

Advice to Management

Bring summer picnics back

6. "An OK place for an entry level position, don't plan on staying more than 1-2 years"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I worked at UCS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits are pretty good for a small consulting company in the DC area.

Aspects of ACTUAL federal consulting do exist at UCS, so take advantage of those even though the people around you aren't good representations of that.

Good work-life balance due to the federal nature of the company

Cons

Compensation is low compared other comsulting companies.

Actual work done isn't comparable to similar roles in other companies, and this is due to the project managers and other lead roles not competent in their work.

In regards to my last comment, project manager and senior roles are randomly given as opposed to given to deserving and knowledgeable employers

Promotion or advancement isn't structured or organized at all

No organization in project timelines and structure

WAY too much office gossip

Advice to Management

Promote deserving employees, not just people that are free to take over a project.

Develop a structured/analytical way to evaluate your employees performance and mandate that it is used company wide.

Don't let good and smart employees walk away to similar companies just because you don't want to pay them

7. "UCS has provided me a rewarding career environment nurturing my growth potential"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

Pros

Multiple career oppportunties with various clients and projects
    Employment not tied to a specific contract
    Tremendous coporate growth year over year - leading to quick promotions and career enhancements for good performers
    Good salary and benefits
    Social culture conducive for all age groups and backgrounds
    Open Door policy - Senior Management is always approachable and willing to listen

Cons

Work can be hectic at time when deadlines are close - but that is to be expected in the consulting business

8. "an opportunity to grow and work on many different facets of projects"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Fairfax, VA

Pros

Ability to work on different facets of different projects
    At headquarters, ability to interface directly with senior leadership
    Very accommodating to personal situations (working part-time, etc)
    Ability to rise through the ranks quickly if performing well
    Executive management is very accessible/open-door policy
    Genuinely seem to be interested in recommendations from employees in terms of improving the company
    Try to accommodate the interests of employees to help them grow professionally
    Seem to have their heads on their shoulders in terms of structure within the company and how to grow the company

Cons

For employees at client site, there is a sense of disconnect from the company
    Sometimes management is more worried about the bottom line than the needs of employees
    Need more events that bring everyone in the company together
    Don't do a good job of educating employees on the different types of projects/work the company does

Advice to Management

I believe there is a large dichotomy in sentiment between UCS employees at headquarters and those on client site. Employees at HQ seem to be generally satisfied and happy with the company and feel their contributions are valued. On the flip-side, it seems that many client-site employees feel that they have no visibility back to the company and that their contributions are not noticed. Senior management needs to do more to bridge this gap. Outside of that and a few other minor suggestions, I think the company is run very well and it has been a pleasure to work there.

9. "A small company with the offerings of a large size contracting company and a family like feel."

Current Employee - Project Manager in Fairfax, VA

Pros

I have worked for UCS for over 10 years maintains a family-like environment while providing offerings of a large size contracting company which makes for a great work culture. Management is flat and agile, quick to react and communicate. In addition, management continues to look to expand both company and personal/professional development by paying for PMP cetification as well as taking on several initiatives recently to encourage employee growth. Promotion from within is heavily stressed and upward movement from one contract to another is common so growth opportunities are present. The work is challenging and stimulating. The company gives spot awards, bonuses, and year end payraises even when other comapnies in the industry are not. Additionally, the company has never let any well performing employee go simply because their contract ended and always works to find a place for employees who want to stay on.

Cons

Beign a small business, the company is not always able to provide some of the larger company employee perks, such as tuition assistance. However as I've seen over the last 10 years - as the company grows, so will the employee perks.

10. "Incredibly responsive, effective company to both clients and employees."

Current Employee - Satisfied Young Employee in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Satisfied Young Employee in Fairfax, VA

Pros

A very flat organization compared to other consulting firms. Senior management make themselves available even to new/young employees for mentoring, consulting questions, and social events (happy hours, holiday parties, etc.). Most of my collegues in entry level/junior consultant positions don't have the access to Sr. Management that I do and likely won't for the next 10-15 years of their careers.

Very responsive to and supportive of employees. According to my knowledge, the company has never let any well performing employee go simply because their contract ended; always works to find a place for employees who want to stay on. Most large companies can't offer that.

Corporate (HQ) environment is a phenomenal work atmosphere; great blend of professionalism and intelligence coupled with light-heartedness and ability to have a good time. Even makes going to work on Mondays manageable... how many companies can offer that?

Pay is fair and very reasonable if you know what to ask for. Know what's fair for your skills/experience and make your work worth the pay and you'll be fairly compensated.

All said, it's the company culture that makes UCS stand out. If there's something lacking in your experience, figure out what you can do to change/create it. If your interests/passions can benefit the company in some way, they're almost certain to support you in it (advanced training, new projects, new domains, new regional areas).

Cons

Like any company, individual job and manager have a big impact on one's experience. However, 99% of managers at UCS are great to work for and support their employees in every way possible.

As a relatively small company, doesn't have the resources of larger firms (tuition assistance, pro-bono/'sabatical'/international programs, etc.). However, as the firm continues to grow I'm confidenet leadership will begin to implement these types of services.

Some internal processes are become antiquated as the company grows. However, management has been on top of this, working to complete a number of new company-wide certifications (CMMI 2/3, ISO) and new processes to match growth. In reality these problems are consequences of tremendous growth, over 30% per year over the last 4 years, in an industry that over that same time period has continually talked about cut-backs and lay-offs.

Advice to Management

Continue to grow company resources. Tuitition assistance, sponsored volunteering (short term and long term), and overseas opportunities will be major draws for future employees, especially the younger generation, and will have a major influence on employee retention as salaries and benefits are generally level across the industry.