UCS Reviews | Glassdoor

UCS Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2019

Found 50 reviews

3.4
UCS CEO Charu Dhumne  (no image)
Charu Dhumne
Pros
  • "Good work-life balance due to the federal nature of the company(in 4 reviews)

• "Our senior management team seems to also always be trying to see what they can do to make things better for us and provide the tools we need to succeed(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Some internal processes are become antiquated as the company grows(in 3 reviews)

• "Higher ups have no control/do not keep a pulse on of what goes on at the client site level but also do not believe or advocate for those who are there(in 2 reviews)

"Great"

I have been working at UCS full-time

Pros

Great co workers and working environmet

Cons

None that i can think of

UCS2018-05-31

"Competitive pay with good benefits"

Current Employee - Technical Consultant in Fort Detrick, MD

I have been working at UCS full-time for more than a year

Pros

Solid pay; Good benefits; Good work/life balance;

Cons

Contract based, making job security not a guarantee; Culture team-based, not company based due to different contracts

UCS2019-04-16

"Technical Support"

Current Employee - Technical Support

I have been working at UCS full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible schedule, 401k, family leave, kept anniversary of old contract, no more pros

Cons

Huge paycut!!!, new contract means salary cuts, company doesn’t respond to employees, too many new hire requirements that are redundant.

Advice to Management

Don’t cut people’s salary when you win the bid for a new contract. You are loosing valuable people because they’re going where the money is and your company gets the new contracts by cutting salaries of the employees. People leave your company for better pay that they had before you cane onboard.

UCS2019-01-25

"Have worked with UCS for almost 3 years."

Current Employee - Program Analyst in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at UCS full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Upper managment is super nice and is always willing to help you. If you work out of HQ, they always bring in food and treats to show the teams that they care.

Cons

Pay could be better for the amount of work that contractors have to do for the client.

Advice to Management

You guys are doing a great job, as is the rest of the staff, however, please remeber that your contractors are people too and need to be treated with the same respect as the employees that sit at HQ. Also, try to fit the correct employees with the right position.

UCS2018-11-28

"Avoid this company like the plague."

I worked at UCS full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company has managed to get their shoe in the door with some decent federal clients who still want them around for whatever reason.

Cons

Where do I start? Let us bulletize this, shall we? - Underpay all of their employees besides the VPs, CFO, CEO. - Never focus on retention... "if you find a better opportunity, just go" - I have no idea the value of their HR or BD departments. They have no idea how to do their job and rely on project managers, who are underpaid, to help them all the time. - So much inner politics / drama. VPs will protect who... they favor and let the rest rot if it suits them. - Unrealistic expectations: promising more on contracts than they can actually execute. - Sexist and racist, but subtly so - take a look at their VPs, who are usually men or white women; anyone not fitting that doesn't usually make it far. - Higher ups have no control/do not keep a pulse on of what goes on at the client site level but also do not believe or advocate for those who are there. - Project managers routinely lie and are not capable of executing what they say they can, which leaves consultants screwed. The good consultants are overworked and rarely allowed to take leave without having to practically beg for it, while the lazy or incompetent consultants are not fired or put on PIPs, thus making the spread of work uneven and unfair. - If there are issues in one sector of the company, UCS will screw the rest of the sectors over by not giving anyone at the project manager/consultant level a bonus or a raise at the end of the year just so that the VPs still get one.

Advice to Management

Fire your problem people and hire actually competent VPs, HR staff, BD, staff, and PMs. Basically, clean house and actually do it without favoritism.

UCS2018-12-15

"Great work atmosphere, not much emphasis on career growth."

Current Employee - Software Developer in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at UCS full-time for more than a year

Pros

UCS is an exceedingly pleasant place to work, and I have gained a lot of software development experience working there. The project I work on is a very stable DOD contract so job security is good, as far as government contracting goes. The CEO is very down to earth and maintains a good relationship with everyone in the office.

Cons

It is pretty clear that employees are more or less just expected to do their job, as little emphasis is put on career growth as an individual beyond what pertains to the contract you are working on. Also, our project went a month and a half without a manager, and as such my teammates and I simply never had our annual performance reviews. Otherwise, performance above and beyond expectations is often recognized, but... seldom rewarded. You generally won't get a real raise unless you ask or are promoted - the annual "increases" are really just inflation adjustments.

Advice to Management

The company culture is great and UCS is a fun and supportive place to work - don't change anything here! However, give your employees more meaningful feedback and reward them for excellent performance or earning new credentials.

UCS2018-07-25

"Downward Turn"

I have been working at UCS full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good co-workers and OK benefits

Cons

UCS has taken a downward turn. It doesn't really care about its employees anymore, just the bottom line. They pay a lot of lip service to how the company “is there to serve the employees” but that is all it is, lip service from a salesman (the EVP). The fact is that employees are expendable. Working on client site is a little better and more like working for the client than the company. I avoid HQ in Fairfax because... you can tell the employees there are depressed and worried about losing their jobs. All the good mangers are leaving the company and the remaining senior managers seem to only care about themselves and their bonuses. I have heard clients talking about how the owner is disengaged and the EVP just irritates them and is a know-it-all. I mean what do you say when you hear that? I am actively looking for a new job as are several of my co-workers. That should tell you something.

Advice to Management

1. Take better care of your employees. They are the ones making you the money. 2. Clients have noticed the changes in the company and are commenting in a negative way so take heed. 3. Keep the EVP away from client sites. He "irritates" them, their words not mine-but I agree with them.

UCS2018-06-19

UCS Response

June 25, 2018Human Resources Generalist

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. UCS has a strong commitment to its employees and its customers. Our employees are what make us a mission-focused and value-add company. If you have any concerns at all, please do not hesitate to contact us directly.

"Keep Looking"

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Washington, DC

I have been working at UCS full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits, free parking, location

Cons

Salary not competitive, if you're over a certain age, don't bother applying.

Advice to Management

Get with the program and discriminate against ageism.

UCS2018-05-20

UCS Response

May 25, 2018Human Resources Generalist

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. UCS has a strong commitment to nondiscriminatory employment practices and if you have any concerns at all please do not hesitate to contact us directly.

"They love their employees"

Tier II Helpdsk

I have been working at UCS for more than a year

Pros

PRO national guard/drilling military reservist. great benefits. annual bonus'. competitive pay. promote from within.

Cons

you don't feel like much of an employee to the company, more so an employee to the contract

Advice to Management

keep fighting to win those contracts during recompete

UCS2017-09-22

"Database Administrator"

I have been working at UCS full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

UCS has excellent benefits and compensation. The management is employee oriented and makes an honest effort to promote a balance between work and personal time

Cons

None at the moment to report

UCS2017-09-06