UCSF Medical Center and UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospitals Reviews | Glassdoor

UCSF Medical Center and UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospitals Reviews

Updated February 21, 2018

Full-timePart-time

3.9
UCSF Medical Center and UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospitals CEO; CEO, UCSF Children's Hospital Mark R. Laret
Mark R. Laret

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • I did not take advantage of the work/life balance and worked a ton (in 7 reviews)

• High cost of living in the area (in 7 reviews)

1. "Postdoc Experience"

I worked at UCSF Medical Center and UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospitals full-time

Pros

Excellent environment to develop as a young scientist. Resources to do almost any experiment you want. Genius colleagues/mentors.

Cons

Postdocs are not treated as real employees, although this is not unexpected. Cost of living is ridiculous for the NIH minimum level salary.

Advice to Management

implement a higher minimum wage for postdocs.

2. "EEG tech"

Pros

Great team, constantly working towards new goals, really great people to work with.

Cons

Having to pay for very expensive parking.

Advice to Management

Great management.

3. "Per Diem Nurse"

I have been working at UCSF Medical Center and UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospitals part-time

Pros

Great pay and ratios for Nurses!

Cons

None that I can think of!

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your Nurses!

4. "administrative assistant 111 career/contract cpg billing department"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant 111 in Parnassus, PA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant 111 in Parnassus, PA

I worked at UCSF Medical Center and UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospitals full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Ucsf is a great place to work every since I stopped working as career my life has not been the same. Its a happy positive place with like minded people that work for same goals as yourself to help patients and it shows in your coworkers actions all work together its really like a family environment.

Cons

it can be challenging and overwhelming but that is what our day to day is at ucsf that's why we are highly recommended and number 1 In what we do and everyone wants high standards when coming to ucsf.

5. "Respiratory Therapist"

Current Employee - Rrt in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Rrt in Oakland, CA

I have been working at UCSF Medical Center and UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospitals full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good teamwork and friendly staff.

Cons

Management micro manages and does not have your back.

6. "DEPENDS WHICH DEPT. YOU WORK WITH. Administrative Assistant front desk"

Former Employee - Practice Coordinator HEM in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Practice Coordinator HEM in San Francisco, CA

I worked at UCSF Medical Center and UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospitals full-time

Pros

First and foremost, the patients! The care is amazing and ground breaking research! They offer awesome benefits and great pay salary which compensates you for the other issues you deal with in your department. Management needs to work on professionalism. My personal department doctors are great but can't say that about management or half the staff. Great learning experience and a respectable company NAME (meaning care not employment within departments) My most enjoyable part of my job was working with the best knowledgeable doctors and helping the patients.

Cons

EACH DEPARTMENT DIFFERS! My department:Toxic culture of distrust where it's not safe to disclose information, offer input, or work in close collaboration. Job survival under dictatorship is day-to-day. Everybody is on his or her own. Trusting your peers is risky. Constantly not respected and not free to share input. Negative cliques and gossipers, Dictator managers,Triangulating,Serious communication issues within HEM/BMT department. You feel demotivated and constantly drained. Overworked and unappreciated. Micro managed and too many people trying to tell you what to do, lack of proper advice.

Advice to Management

It’s important to be accepted into an office and have good relationships with most (if not all) of your colleagues. Leaders underestimate the importance of encouraging plentiful communication between themselves and their employees, in POSITIVE ways. And the Gossip should be resolved. Favoritism is unprofessional and Respect your employees not belittle and devalue them to cover yourself. Work on proper training quirks For your DEPARTMENT. Each are all different.

7. "A small city within a City."

Pros

Competitive salary; wide array of roles and opportunities; can be collegial; inner city location; forward looking executive management; commuter perks; lots of support organizations within; a veritable united nations of staff members.

Cons

If based on a positive perspective/outlook - there are no cons. ...but since this is the cons section. One con might be that in this small city within a City, you need to be strong or risk getting lost in the fray.

Advice to Management

How about creating some learning opportunities for staff to help them move to other roles they may be interested in.

8. "Administrative III"

Former Employee - Patient Care Coordinator in Greenbrae, CA
    Former Employee - Patient Care Coordinator in Greenbrae, CA

I worked at UCSF Medical Center and UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospitals full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have over 15 yrs of healthcare experience, I enjoy helping people and it's a great place to work.

Cons

The parking is the cons but I've decided if I get hired I will take public transportation.

Advice to Management

If I'm hired I am a dependable team player.

9. "Nurse Manager Review"

Current Employee - Nurse Manager
    Current Employee - Nurse Manager

Pros

Endless opportunity to grow; Respectful organization; Values diversity; Flexibility and freedom to innovate

Cons

Opportunity to work on standardization

Advice to Management

None

10. "I love my job"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at UCSF Medical Center and UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospitals full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent care provided to patients, great work environment, exceptional pay, competitive benefits

Cons

Because it's a hospital it must remain open 24/7.

Advice to Management

Keep up the awesome work