UCSF Medical Center and UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospitals Reviews | Glassdoor

UCSF Medical Center and UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospitals Reviews

Updated January 19, 2018

Full-timePart-time

3.9
UCSF Medical Center and UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospitals CEO; CEO, UCSF Children's Hospital Mark R. Laret
Mark R. Laret

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • I did not take advantage of the work/life balance and worked a ton (in 7 reviews)

• High cost of living in the area (in 6 reviews)

1. "A small city within a City."

Pros

Competitive salary; wide array of roles and opportunities; can be collegial; inner city location; forward looking executive management; commuter perks; lots of support organizations within; a veritable united nations of staff members.

Cons

If based on a positive perspective/outlook - there are no cons. ...but since this is the cons section. One con might be that in this small city within a City, you need to be strong or risk getting lost in the fray.

Advice to Management

How about creating some learning opportunities for staff to help them move to other roles they may be interested in.

2. "DEPENDS WHICH DEPT. YOU WORK WITH. Administrative Assistant front desk"

Former Employee - Practice Coordinator HEM in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Practice Coordinator HEM in San Francisco, CA

I worked at UCSF Medical Center and UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospitals full-time

Pros

First and foremost, the patients! The care is amazing and ground breaking research! They offer awesome benefits and great pay salary which compensates you for the other issues you deal with in your department. Management needs to work on professionalism. My personal department doctors are great but can't say that about management or half the staff. Great learning experience and a respectable company NAME (meaning care not employment within departments) My most enjoyable part of my job was working with the best knowledgeable doctors and helping the patients.

Cons

EACH DEPARTMENT DIFFERS! My department:Toxic culture of distrust where it's not safe to disclose information, offer input, or work in close collaboration. Job survival under dictatorship is day-to-day. Everybody is on his or her own. Trusting your peers is risky. Constantly not respected and not free to share input. Negative cliques and gossipers, Dictator managers,Triangulating,Serious communication issues within HEM/BMT department. You feel demotivated and constantly drained. Overworked and unappreciated. Micro managed and too many people trying to tell you what to do, lack of proper advice.

Advice to Management

It’s important to be accepted into an office and have good relationships with most (if not all) of your colleagues. Leaders underestimate the importance of encouraging plentiful communication between themselves and their employees, in POSITIVE ways. And the Gossip should be resolved. Favoritism is unprofessional and Respect your employees not belittle and devalue them to cover yourself. Work on proper training quirks For your DEPARTMENT. Each are all different.

3. "Administrative III"

Former Employee - Patient Care Coordinator in Greenbrae, CA
    Former Employee - Patient Care Coordinator in Greenbrae, CA

I worked at UCSF Medical Center and UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospitals full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have over 15 yrs of healthcare experience, I enjoy helping people and it's a great place to work.

Cons

The parking is the cons but I've decided if I get hired I will take public transportation.

Advice to Management

If I'm hired I am a dependable team player.

4. "Nurse Manager Review"

Current Employee - Nurse Manager
    Current Employee - Nurse Manager

I have been working at UCSF Medical Center and UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospitals full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Endless opportunity to grow; Respectful organization; Values diversity; Flexibility and freedom to innovate

Cons

Opportunity to work on standardization

Advice to Management

None

5. "I love my job"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at UCSF Medical Center and UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospitals full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent care provided to patients, great work environment, exceptional pay, competitive benefits

Cons

Because it's a hospital it must remain open 24/7.

Advice to Management

Keep up the awesome work

6. "Amazing place of employment!"

Pros

The benefits are the absolute greatest! This is one of the best Hospitals in the US. I enjoy being able to help the patients.

Cons

I have not experienced anything negative. I have had an overall positive experience. Maybe at times, there can be favoritism, but that is all.

Advice to Management

Keep treating employees like family!

7. "Good benefits, not a lot of transparency"

I have been working at UCSF Medical Center and UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospitals part-time

Pros

Pension plan, retirement, good healthcare plan for family

Cons

understaffed due to "lack of funding" but no transparency about the budget or attempts by management to acquire more funding.

Advice to Management

Get more funding, be more transparent

8. "Mixed Bag"

I worked at UCSF Medical Center and UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospitals part-time

Pros

Can be great. Lots of camaraderie, very knowledgeable staff.

Cons

Can be in some departments very political and territorial.

Advice to Management

9. "Staff Research Associate"

Former Employee - Staff Research Associate II in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Research Associate II in San Francisco, CA

Pros

High flexibility. Some of my coworkers came around 10 and leave before 4, hours are very flexible as long as you finish your work. Working remotely are also common in our lab.
    PI is very nice and reasonable. She tries to help you and tries to find tasks you will be interested in (if she has). The working environment is very friendly and UCSF has lots of learning and research resources.
    They have a very nice and large gym just next to the hospital in parnassus campus. Group fitness class and weight lifting equipment are all nice.
    Great location, lots of food nearby.

Cons

Depends on positions, but salary for SRA is pretty low especially in san francisco area. The job can be repetitive and heavy manual works.. They don't need a graduate student to do the tasks, anyone who can use computer can do it. Not too good for a career advancement for my position, but it really depends on which center you go to.
    Benefit is ok, they offer 15 vacation days and 10 sick days. Medical insurance is good but not too impressive compared to big tech companies in San Jose. Retirement plan can be tricky for some position.

10. "Programmer"

I worked at UCSF Medical Center and UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospitals full-time

Pros

big company, stable, pension, vacation

Cons

bureaucratic, low salary, limited training, no promotion