UCSF Medical Center and UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospitals Reviews in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

UCSF Medical Center and UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospitals San Francisco Reviews

Updated September 28, 2017

San Francisco, CA Area

3.5
UCSF Medical Center and UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospitals CEO; CEO, UCSF Children's Hospital Mark R. Laret
Mark R. Laret

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • I did not take advantage of the work/life balance and worked a ton (in 7 reviews)

• High cost of living in the area (in 6 reviews)

1. "Staffing"

Former Contractor - ICU Travel Nurse in San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - ICU Travel Nurse in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Great team work, and managers cared about the staff and getting their breaks

Cons

Did not experience any cons

2. "Staff Research Associate"

Former Employee - Staff Research Associate II in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Research Associate II in San Francisco, CA

I worked at UCSF Medical Center and UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospitals full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

High flexibility. Some of my coworkers came around 10 and leave before 4, hours are very flexible as long as you finish your work. Working remotely are also common in our lab.
    PI is very nice and reasonable. She tries to help you and tries to find tasks you will be interested in (if she has). The working environment is very friendly and UCSF has lots of learning and research resources.
    They have a very nice and large gym just next to the hospital in parnassus campus. Group fitness class and weight lifting equipment are all nice.
    Great location, lots of food nearby.

Cons

Depends on positions, but salary for SRA is pretty low especially in san francisco area. The job can be repetitive and heavy manual works.. They don't need a graduate student to do the tasks, anyone who can use computer can do it. Not too good for a career advancement for my position, but it really depends on which center you go to.
    Benefit is ok, they offer 15 vacation days and 10 sick days. Medical insurance is good but not too impressive compared to big tech companies in San Jose. Retirement plan can be tricky for some position.

3. "Janitor"

Former Employee - Janitor in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Janitor in San Francisco, CA

Pros

They treat you like family

Cons

Favoritism to certain races

Advice to Management

Keep taking care your workers

4. "Pays great... To deal with the BS"

Current Employee - Line Cook in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Line Cook in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at UCSF Medical Center and UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospitals (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pays great
    Decent benefits for my family
    Set schedule
    Pay checks never comes late

Cons

U get pay more to deal with BS from supervisor or manager... Anytime u make a mistake... They jumped at u like sharks... Never gets compliment or very rarely... Blame u fast; praise u slow... Instead of focusing on helping you; they look for u to fail....

Advice to Management

Just let us do our jobs and sit back.... Don't need to hold our hands to do every little thing... That's why we work, you supervise... Who cares if we went on break for an extra 3 minutes, when all of our work is done

5. "Once amazing, now a let down."

Current Employee - Patient Care Technician in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Patient Care Technician in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at UCSF Medical Center and UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospitals part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Learned a lot of clinical skills, and saw my knowledge growing tremendously, valued friendships, decent benefits, accessible by public transportation, several employment opportunities.

Cons

I have worked at UCSF for 11 years, a decade ago it was an amazing place to work, but it has become a conglomerate, not a hospital. As an employee, they tend to not support you, especially during times of personal crisis. Forgot it's motto-Pride. Trying to compete with other hospitals. Try having employee Educational studies, tuition reimbursement. Support Advancement in education.

Advice to Management

Be Managers, support, encourage, and just be UCSF, not your competitors, the funding will come, if you treat the employees, patients and students correctly.

6. "Good Job for perm employess, Union benefits, but hard to go perm unless you are Philipino. Pay is excellent"

Former Contractor - Temp Principal Admitting Worker in Emeryville, CA
    Former Contractor - Temp Principal Admitting Worker in Emeryville, CA

I worked at UCSF Medical Center and UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospitals as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

No one standing over you, you work independently. Its a good paying job, with a good union, but don't expect much else

Cons

Cliques, Who you know to get hired, Management sucks, very poor communication at least in the department I worked in. Pre-Admitting Unit. Most of the permanent staff hate the culture and favortism, most retire as soon as the day comes.

Advice to Management

Be more available to your staff, respond to emails, explain things and process to temps wanting to get hired. The same complaints come from the Permanent staff too, poor management communication.

"Watch for downsizing, job role creep or project mission changes"

Former Employee - Analyst IV in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Analyst IV in San Francisco, CA

I worked at UCSF Medical Center and UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospitals full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Prestige of hospital and academic medical center
    Great and helpful colleagues; outstanding nursing staff
    Benefits: not as good as some larger private employers, but great variety
    Wage Works option for commuting costs -- subsidy
    Gym membership -- subsidy, though not free. Mission Bay has better options than Parnassus, but good facilities

Options for advancement

Cons

Commuting and congestion around Mission Bay. This will worsen with major construction projects and the basketball arena. Difficult enough to get out of the Mission Bay campus on baseball home game nights. Will worsen with the basketball arena.

Some managers are not provided with enough support or training for onboarding new employees. It is not appropriate to tell new hires: "oh, we don't do onboarding in this department."

If your program, dept or projects has/have multiple funders -- feds, corporate, and foundations, you should expect conflicts between the funders and more input -- some call interference -- from donors or funders. This can be difficult, offputting, and disheartening to clinicians, PIs, or lab heads accustomed to more free rein from NIH or CDC funders.

Thus, implementing a more entrepreneurial spirit or culture, particularly if candidates come from Lean Six Sigma heavy clinical environments, or the consulting work, can be very difficult.

Foundation funding can be year to year and not the five-year windows many in research academic are accustomed. It can be very difficult to hire mid-level or junior staffers for one year, even post-doc fellows, with "pending or likely re-funding" in the job description. San Francisco had less than 4% unemployment. Most people in the expensive SF Bay Area need more job security than a one-year assignment. If that is what you can offer, recruit from the local graduate schools more actively, for students getting graduate degrees at night or in executive MBA or MPH programs.

Advice to Management

For PIs...particularly..talk to you line manager and not only the administrative department heads, particularly if there are conflicts or differing expectations/demands among funders.

Treat your staff with more respect and dignity. Assume that staff with 20 years service and clinical experience may actually know more than someone with 7 years experience.

Check some of your privilege, particularly among and/or about women in the workforce -- (we are not all "mothers") and Latinos/Hispanics. I grew tired of hearing "your Spanish is so good for a white lady."

8. "Lab Assistant"

Current Employee - Lab Assistant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Lab Assistant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at UCSF Medical Center and UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospitals full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Tremendous opportunity for growth, ability to work autonomously with the superb supervision of the staff.

Cons

There currently are no cons

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

9. "Clinical Nurse III"

Current Employee - Clinical Nurse Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Clinical Nurse Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at UCSF Medical Center and UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospitals full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

One of the best Academic Medical Center in the World

Cons

I don't see anything at this moment.

Advice to Management

none

10. "Front desk personnel"

Former Employee - Office Supervisor in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Office Supervisor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at UCSF Medical Center and UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospitals full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great employees to work with. We all helped each other when it got busy. Very talented set of employees and the training time was very minimal with other new employees.

Cons

Management are not very loyal to their employees. If you had a problem with a protocol or there was a glitch in the system, we were to blame and the did nothing to fix it.

Advice to Management

You might loose really great employees if something doesn't change.