UCSF Medical Center and UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospitals "san francisco" Reviews | Glassdoor

UCSF Medical Center and UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospitals Employee Reviews about "san francisco"

Updated 18 Apr 2019

4.0
UCSF Medical Center and UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospitals CEO Mark R. Laret
Mark R. Laret
Pros
Cons
  • "Currently out of contract for 2 years ( need to be compensated fairly for the crucial services we provide and the rising cost of living in the area(in 15 reviews)

• "They were trying to help with the housing, but it's an uphill battle in San Francisco(in 13 reviews)

Reviews about "san francisco"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Clinical Laboratory Scientist"

Current Employee - Cls in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at UCSF Medical Center and UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospitals full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good retirement and benefits. Very friendly coworkers

Cons

Not on fair salary around San Francisco , no bounces.

UCSF Medical Center and UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospitals2018-05-13
  2. "Intense, outstanding research in spite of redtape"

Former Employee - Postdoctoral Scholar

I worked at UCSF Medical Center and UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospitals full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

As a postdoc, it was amazing to be surrounded by so many smart scientists and resources. Even when UCSF did not have an expert or piece of equipment, there was usually an expert in Berkeley or Stanford. The Office of Career and Postdoctoral Development was a great resource to help network, set career goals, and work on resumes and interviews.

Cons

It was a postdoc so it was long hours and relatively low pay. Most of my salary went to rent. They were trying to help with the housing, but it's an uphill battle in San Francisco. Your experience will be based on your PI and lab group, so choose well. Some PI's want you there all the time no matter what. Others are more relaxed.

UCSF Medical Center and UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospitals2019-04-18
  3. "workplace review"

Former Employee - Assistant Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at UCSF Medical Center and UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospitals full-time

Pros

They do amazing work to help sick patients.

Cons

Dont pay very well given that San Francisco is super expensive

UCSF Medical Center and UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospitals2018-09-14
  4. "Staff Research Associate"

Former Employee - Staff Research Associate II in San Francisco, CA

I worked at UCSF Medical Center and UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospitals full-time for less than a year

Pros

High flexibility. Some of my coworkers came around 10 and leave before 4, hours are very flexible as long as you finish your work. Working remotely are also common in our lab. PI is very nice and reasonable. She tries to help you and tries to find tasks you will be interested in (if she has). The working environment is very friendly and UCSF has lots of learning and research resources. They have a very nice and large gym just next to the hospital in parnassus campus. Group fitness class and weight lifting equipment are all nice. Great location, lots of food nearby.

Cons

Depends on positions, but salary for SRA is pretty low especially in san francisco area. The job can be repetitive and heavy manual works.. They don't need a graduate student to do the tasks, anyone who can use computer can do it. Not too good for a career advancement for my position, but it really depends on which center you go to. Benefit is ok, they offer 15 vacation days and 10 sick days. Medical insurance is good but not too impressive compared to big tech companies in San Jose. Retirement plan can be tricky for some position.

UCSF Medical Center and UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospitals2017-09-18

"Watch for downsizing, job role creep or project mission changes"

Former Employee - Analyst IV in San Francisco, CA

I worked at UCSF Medical Center and UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospitals full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Prestige of hospital and academic medical center Great and helpful colleagues; outstanding nursing staff Benefits: not as good as some larger private employers, but great variety Wage Works option for commuting costs -- subsidy Gym membership -- subsidy, though not free. Mission Bay has better options than Parnassus, but good facilities Options for advancement

Cons

Commuting and congestion around Mission Bay. This will worsen with major construction projects and the basketball arena. Difficult enough to get out of the Mission Bay campus on baseball home game nights. Will worsen with the basketball arena. Some managers are not provided with enough support or training for onboarding new employees. It is not appropriate to tell new hires: "oh, we don't do onboarding in this department." If your program, dept or projects has/have multiple funders -- feds, corporate, and foundations, you should expect conflicts between the funders and more input -- some call interference -- from donors or funders. This can be difficult, offputting, and disheartening to clinicians, PIs, or lab heads accustomed to more free rein from NIH or CDC funders. Thus, implementing a more entrepreneurial spirit or culture, particularly if candidates come from Lean Six Sigma heavy clinical environments, or the consulting work, can be very difficult. Foundation funding can be year to year and not the five-year windows many in research academic are accustomed. It can be very difficult to hire mid-level or junior staffers for one year, even post-doc fellows, with "pending or likely re-funding" in the job description. San Francisco had less than 4% unemployment. Most people in the expensive SF Bay Area need more job security than a one-year assignment. If that is what you can offer, recruit from the local graduate schools more actively, for students getting graduate degrees at night or in executive MBA or MPH programs.

UCSF Medical Center and UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospitals2017-08-04
  6. "Looking for a dynamic and better paying job."

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at UCSF Medical Center and UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospitals full-time for more than a year

Pros

Dynamic. Open to everyone. International. Innovator.

Cons

Not enough pay for a city as San Francisco.

UCSF Medical Center and UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospitals2017-05-16

"Great company to work for"

Pros

UCSF treats its employees as valued members of a team. They work hard to include each member in the decison making process of how each project is completed. The providers and staff do an outstanding job of being open to improvements in process and search for new and innovative ideas continuously.

Cons

This company is located in San Francisco and requires most employees commute from outlying areas over bridges. Parking can be very difficult. Public transportation with parking can be expensive.

UCSF Medical Center and UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospitals2015-02-24
  8. "Diet Clerk"

Diet Clerk

Pros

Good pay. Coworkers can be friendly if you talk to them.

Cons

Inconvenient schedule if you don't live in san francisco. Boss makes you work several days in a row with no breaks.

UCSF Medical Center and UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospitals2014-12-12

"A truly amazing and dynamic place to work."

Former Employee - Administration in San Francisco, CA

I worked at UCSF Medical Center and UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospitals full-time for more than a year

Pros

Enjoyed my time at UCSF Medical Center due to the talented and genuine people you work with throughout the organization. Every understands the mission and works for that mission of world class patent care.

Cons

Very difficult to get to work if you do not live in San Francisco. Incredible amount of work and red tape in processing change.

UCSF Medical Center and UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospitals2014-10-09

"One star only for pay and benefits. The rest is well..."

Former Employee - Medical Researcher in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Great Benefits Pay Near public transportation Organized Benefits start on day one

Cons

Oh let's see where do I start. These people used me up through a agency for several years and promised me open positions when they gave it to someone else. I worked hard and was reliable, apparently I didn't fit their criteria . I don't often pull out the race card ,but in this case after examining qualifications of people who they hired ithe seems to be clear as day that they don't practice their motto which is diversity. I did not see diversity in management and high salaries positions and by that I mean African american. A lot of Asian and Caucasian are ideal for the face UCSF. I have seen this with other people and spoke to other people who have experienced this type of injustice. We come to work on time and work hard only , promised a position. Then get replaced with individual who is hired directly who fits the face of UCSF. Mark Laret is not a good CEO and is full of it. His speeches were as genuine as the front that he puts on. He doesn't respond to suggestions or follows up on complaints .The person who takes contracts back from people in the San francisco neighborhoods who are qualified and replaces them from contractors that are from out of state. Good place to receive care but not good to work here as you will not get ahead if your African American or if you can play the token role. Don't believe me, there is a similar complaint here and stories of Lynches found at UCSF . In addition to UCLA gorilla comment made to an MD. UC is corrupted and all that is wrong will come to light.

UCSF Medical Center and UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospitals2014-11-04