UDEMY Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
UDEMY CEO Dennis Yang
Dennis Yang

Pros
Cons
  • Vision and strategic alignment across teams aren't there (in 3 reviews)

• Product managers are not senior enough, they are not reliable to set a product vision (in 3 reviews)

"Believe the hype"

I have been working at UDEMY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is by far, the best place I've ever worked. The people in the company are creative, smart, challenge one another, and always seem to be working as hard as possible to do the right thing for the customer, and our instructor community. I don't think I've ever seen a company, from top to bottom, so devoid of politics and people jockeying for position. It's truly a joy to come to work every day.

Companies doing truly meaningful work that are growing like crazy in a challenging but nurturing environment are astonishingly rare. If you have even an inkling of an interest in working here, please reach out. As amazing as I thought the culture was during the interview process, it's even better on the inside!

Dennis, the CEO, has an incredible grasp of the business, and strikes the right balance between charting direction and delegating execution to the broader team. He's super smart and as humble and approachable as anyone I've ever met in Tech. The entire management team is the same way.

Cons

This is a very complex business. We are inventing a category while running a consumer marketplace for creating/selling digital learning content and building a B2B business. All at the same time. Decisions, measurement, and collaboration across teams can all be complex, and sometimes we make things more complex than they strictly need to be. But in general, we get to the right answers.

Advice to Management

Continue to stay connected to the team, to our customers, and to our instructors. We've built something great here, and keep pushing to bring it to the next level.

"Meaningful work with great coworkers!"

I have been working at UDEMY full-time

Pros

-The people. I know, everyone says this about their company, but these are some of the kindest, thoughtful people I have ever worked with.
    -The problem we are trying to solve. I see a lot of negative comments in here about how the company is all about selling courses. I would say, that's just one perspective. Personally, I love that i am involved in providing a marketplace of courses to people who want to take the opportunity to better themselves and yes, that I get to do that in a FOR PROFIT company. The combination of doing something meaningful and not having to take nonprofit pay to do it is awesome.
    -The promotion of women across the company. Everywhere I look there are women in leadership roles running large teams. From our head of HR to our head of engineering and the leadership team below them, women are actively being given opportunities to grow and thrive.
    -The company retreat brings everyone together from all three of the offices and leadership did a great job at putting together content so that we were all on the same page about what the plan is for 2017

Cons

-Udemy is at the teenager phase of company growth. What this means is that cross collaboration has now become more difficult. Layer on top of that, that for many people at the company, this is the largest company they have ever worked for, many people are unprepared and don't have the learning or developed tools to deal with it. The executive team is doing the best they can, but how do you get people from 0 knowledge to fully up to speed on how to function in a now established and needing structure environment.
    -Again, while the people are lovely, many of them haven't really worked in another larger company before, so you have a LOT of people who don't really have experience from a different company to draw on to help them navigate issues that come up. This can end up causing some frustrating unnecessary mistakes and execution speed. Also because it is the first time for many people in doing things, they don't know how to put together a plan b or how to plan for things to go wrong.

Advice to Management

-I love the culture here, but I would be willing to sacrifice how nice everyone is for more people who have worked at larger companies who know how to do things at scale. We need more people who have an established track record at high growth places like Uber or eBay to help us keep our market leader advantage.
    -Also, we need a bonus program. The talent team can't go after the superstars we need without having the full package.

"Great place with a great mission"

I have been working at UDEMY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Udemy is the smartest and most humble team I've ever worked with. Everyone here is committed to doing everything they can to make us successful, and it's an extremely collaborative environment.

Cons

It's a high-growth company, so you have to be ready for changes in plans and be able to adjust. We could use more people who have "been there, done that" at other fast-growing companies.

Advice to Management

Keep bringing in top-tier talent.

"Awesome Company!! Come on Over!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at UDEMY (Less than a year)

Pros

Great organization run by seasoned management team and awesome culture they've built. UFB is skyrocketing and future outlook is strong. Beautiful office in SOMA.

Cons

I have no cons at all..

"Going through expected growing pains but an amazing company nonetheless"

I have been working at UDEMY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I joined the company because I believe in my heart that education should be democratized, and everyone in the world deserves access to the quality, non-traditional upskilling opportunities that our marketplace offers. What has kept me here for the past year+ is the people. I've never worked with such a great group. Everyone is so different, in their working style and personality and personal passions. I'm inspired by the diverse ideas that stem from everyone here and have found myself thinking differently and doing different things, in and out of work! That's what a job is all about, in my opinion.

Cons

I strongly believe that whether you're an individual contributor or people manager, everyone needs a clear career path to be successful. More formal and periodic training for this would be helpful. Good thing is, it's happening!

Advice to Management

Stay aligned and have the same strong answers to common questions - it's a good way to show the employees that management is on the same page.

"Udemy - Best Place I've Ever Worked"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at UDEMY (More than a year)

Pros

I love working here. The company has gone through many changes over the last year, and change can be hard, but I believe in the mission and the people we've hired. I feel like everything I do makes a visible impact on the business, and I feel a strong sense of ownership for the company's success, and I love the people I get to work with.

Cons

Leadership can be slow to hear and react to feedback from employees.

Advice to Management

Work harder to bring the various teams together. There are several parts of the company that feel like silos. More opportunities to promote cross functional interaction will benefit the organization.

Sep 26, 2016 – CEO

Thanks for your thoughts, I'm glad your time at Udemy has been such a positive experience. I encourage you to reach out to the leadership and employee success teams with feedback on an ongoing basis ... More

"Best Work Experience I've had in SF/SV Tech Scene"

I have been working at UDEMY full-time

Pros

Important note: in regards to several of the recent negative GD comments, several are very clearly written from instructors and not W2 employees. We have made changes recently that have impacted some instructors, not all are happy about the changes, and clearly they have vented on this platform. I read their comments closely, and have experienced ZERO of those things they've mentioned as an employee.

People: Udemy has some of the brightest, diverse, hardworking, and down to earth people I've been around. It's a feat that we've been fortunate enough to recruit all of the folks we have here, and have had. Most folks come from the top schools in the country and globally, many with graduate degrees. Feels like nearly half of the workforce is from outside of the united states, which brings a tremendous amount of value in varied perspective.

Career Growth/Learning: Ive yet to stretch my brain further in any other role, or with any other company, more so than I have here at Udemy. When I left one of the top tech companies in SF, I was looking for an opportunity that gave me ownership, autonomy, responsibility, and a large capacity for strategic thought and implementation. i've found that here. I work on projects that I couldn't have conceived prior to coming here. I'm able to work closely with other teams (growth, product, design) and with our execs. What I find normal here, is a rare exception at many other tech companies.

Company objective: While revenue is clearly an important and driving force for any company, (with high-growth moving to the 2nd position for tech startups these days), if you spend 1 day in this office you'll quickly understand what truly motivates people here. We want to help people globally, both instructors and students, to enable them to improve their lives thru learning. We are ambitious and hungry to continue carving out a new space, which isn't easy by any means. Everyone here is top talent that self-selected to working for a company that aims to help people all over the world. That being said, it's not easy.

The Pros list could go on and on. It really is an amazing place to work. We also have all of the typical tech startup perks such as 100% covered benefits, free annual subscription to One Medical, nice new office in SOMA, unlimited vacation, free catered lunch M-Th, snacks/food, huge cafeteria, nice upstairs bar area, meditation/quiet room, ping pong table, macbook airs, electronic standup desks, couches galore, video game consoles, 401k, work/life balance.

Cons

We are literally carving out a new space in a new industry, which carries a steep learning curve. Anyone would be naive to think any company could do this without making mistakes along the way. The company adheres to a style of thinking in line with doing the research and then taking risks and making big bets. If it works, accelerate it, figure out how to do it better. If it doesn't, learn why and adjust. Some folks thrive in this kind of environment, but it's not a good fit for everyone.

In relation to the above, things can change fast here. If you're averse to change and are not super adaptable, this may be a challenging place for you to spend your days. However, with change comes an abundance of opportunity, especially for personal career development. The people who have done well here are the ones not afraid of new opportunities, who are proactive and welcome them.

For a company that is genuinely transparent in nearly every facet, HR and Employee success feel a bit behind.

Advice to Management

Continue to bet big. Remain transparent. Clearly define our vision and focus.

"Kind & inspiring Culture, Serious Investment in People & Great Onboarding!"

Current Employee - Content in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Content in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at UDEMY full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Phenomenal culture for introverted and extroverted personality types. Smooth onboarding that just makes sense and was the right information at the right time and with the right introductions. Smart people that are lifelong learners. The office space matches the culture of collaboration, creativity and getting things done. I felt SO welcome my first week!

Cons

They didn't find me fast enough to join the team! So glad I am here now.

Advice to Management

Keep digging into why the culture feels and acts this way and keep it up. Continue with All Hands, lunch to bond with your team and others.

Sep 26, 2016 – CEO

This is great to hear. Welcome to the team!

"Great promise. Underdelivering"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Working on a problem (education / skills gap) that the world definitely needs solving. Generally fantastic people in the junior and middle ranks, who have self-selected to come to Udemy because they care about making a difference. Humble, nice, hard-working people.

Cons

The company had an amazing idea and great people, but is being run into the ground by confusion and short-sightedness of the senior leadership team. Over the past 6 months, the company has made a series of poor personnel and marketing decisions that have led to the bizarre current situation. There is little coherent leadership from this executive team, who has now announced several 180 degree turns in both policy and vision that further confused the core product of Udemy. Not surprisingly, over the past 6 months the company has been hemorrhaging good people, with more exodus in the coming months. Excited new hires continue to arrive, eager to make a difference in education, but within a few weeks quickly find out the reality seems quite different.

Advice to Management

Set one clear vision. Value and support our employees. Invest in having amazing quality learning courses, not just selling them, or just be really upfront about the fact that the product is going to be flash sale edutainment. Re-assemble a leadership team accordingly if necessary, or at some point the board will probably figure it out and do it for you.

Aug 17, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for sharing your candid thoughts. Our leadership and employee success teams are always available to discuss any concerns. We're committed to putting in the hard work to build a great ... More

"Great place to work for; undergoing some growing pains"

Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

Pros

- People are some of the nicest and most dedicated you'll ever meet. Very ego-less teams that help each other out and look out for each other regardless of roles or responsibilities. Even if different people have different opinions on issues, you can assume everyone has your and the company's best interests at heart. You really feel like your co-workers have your back.
    - Best management I've seen in my (admittedly short) career so far. Managers care about you and are invested in your personal and professional growth, and provide very insightful and well thought-out feedback for your development. Whether things go right or wrong, the focus is on learnings/next steps rather than assigning blame or credit.
    - Individuals are given a high degree of autonomy to execute their tasks and set their own priorities with little to no micromanaging. You feel empowered and trusted to innovate and try new things.

Cons

- Vision and strategic alignment across teams aren't there. If you asked 5 different teams "what is the single most important thing we can do to help the business and our students" you'll get 5 different responses. A company of 200+ employees needs more cross-team communication and priority setting than a company of 40-50, and I don't think we've quite figured out how to do this effectively yet.
    - Wish there was a more concerted effort to document and share "best practices" for communication, running tests, etc. across the company so that employees can learn and grow more quickly. We have lots of talented people, and I wish we distributed what everyone knows more efficiently (maybe record best practices and learnings and post them on Udemy!)

Advice to Management

Keep the commitment to employee happiness and development while figuring out ways to align different teams on the same objectives.

Aug 10, 2016 – CEO

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. This is useful feedback as we continue to focus on alignment.