UDEMY Reviews | Glassdoor

4.5
UDEMY CEO Kevin H. Johnson
Kevin H. Johnson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Fine work-life balance and lots of good stuff happening (in 7 reviews)

• Since joining I've realized that the leadership team is available and hungry for feedback on how to make things even better (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Vision and strategic alignment across teams aren't there (in 3 reviews)

• As the company grows, the need for more internal processes is increasing (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Organized Interview Process and Thoughtful Onboarding"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at UDEMY full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The recruiting team at Udemy is in a class of their own. From my initial call to coming onsite, they were prepared, on-time and showed immense interest and sincerity in helping me explore if Udemy would be a good fit for ME. They put my experience first. From prompt email follow ups, to an outlined agenda upon arrival, and even an office tour, my initial meeting was an excellent experience. They called me back in for a presentation portion and everyone was engaged and gave great feedback. After interviewing with a handful of start ups, Udemy by far showed the most care and attention to detail when it comes to recruiting. Since joining I've realized that the leadership team is available and hungry for feedback on how to make things even better. Did I mention everyone is insanely nice?!

Cons

It is still a start up so not all the wrinkles are smoothed out in terms of the new hire training and internal processes but that's half the fun right?!

Advice to Management

You inspire us to live and breath the "Let's Go" mission. Please continue to be honest, share your feedback, and celebrate our big wins with us!

2. "Udemy & EdTech = Inspiring Mission"

I have been working at UDEMY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A progressive and open culture with an amazing mission. Democratizing Education! I love how our company is always on the side of social good with every step we make. Very transparent, collaborative, and fast-paced. Work-life balance!

Cons

401k match program is ok, but has room for improvement.

Advice to Management

So far so good, but let's do everything we can to retain this amazing culture we have right now. I'd hate to see us turn from a once fast-paced startup into a slow corporate environment like Google, Facebook, Amazon, Microsoft, etc.

"Great mission, great people"

I have been working at UDEMY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been working at Udemy more than a year now, and the honeymoon isn't over. The overwhelming majority of people who work here are smart, kind, and committed to the mission. People trust each other, care about each other and the work at hand, and HR recently rolled out a whole slew of learning & development programs that have improved not only individual capability, but also culture (for instance, making direct feedback an institutional norm). On top of the annual $1500 ULearn budget for professional development, this has made Udemy an awesome place to learn on the job.

Cons

Employee experience can be inconsistent across departments and managers, and we have what I think are pretty normal "awkward adolescent company" problems. Processes and ownership get muddled sometimes, and it's unclear if we place greater value on general business experience or Udemy-specific experience. On the whole, though, I think we're coping with the growing pains pretty well.

Advice to Management

Don't lose sight of why your most dedicated employees are here -- to improve lives through learning. Revenue is important, but it can't be the only way we measure our success.

4. "So far so good!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at UDEMY full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been at the company around 4 months so far, and loving it. The people are amazing, no big egos and everyone is interested in making Udemy the best that it can possibly be. Lots of good perks, including 100% free Udemy courses + a $1500/year learning budget to attend conferences, etc. Plus, the work is interesting and it's easy to make an impact.

Cons

- 401k benefit leaves a lot to be desired
    - New CEO, though product focused, feels pretty distant to the rest of the company (speaks during all hands but otherwise pretty much a ghost)
    - Sort of an old-guard "clique" that can be difficult to penetrate

Advice to Management

- Continue to cultivate a culture full of learners and open-mindedness, and working on initiatives arising from the engagement survey
    - CEO should be more "present"/accessible to employees, not just e-staff
    - E-staff and Udemites who have been around 4+ years should make an effort to get to know new folks, and not just stick to their cliques

5. "Lots of potential but lack of experience in senior leadership shows"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at UDEMY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of idealism in rank and file. Friendly people. Good perks. Good work-life balance. Family friendly. Established business model of discounts that works.

Cons

User-centric product development isn't as highly valued as marketing and growth, which shows in product prioritization. Lots of competition in the space and sustained growth will be challenging. Leadership seems to be highly reactive to outside pressures and is more tactical than strategic. High turnover and inexperienced personnel in key roles definitely is a factor in engineering, product and design departments. Lack of brand name may hinder future career moves. Compensation is middle of the pack.

Advice to Management

Be transparent with new hires of company and leadership's identify. Udemy is a marketplace built around value and breadth. New hires buying into how the company succeeds and operates will build a good base to execute against goals. Transition non-believers out of the company. People are everything.

"Great people and great atmosphere"

Current Employee - IT Support Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - IT Support Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at UDEMY full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been at Udemy for almost 3 years and it's grown a lot. They've done a great job maintaining the culture and fostering growth in your career.

Cons

As with many startups that grow quickly they struggle with processes and implementing leveling.

"Udemy rocks!"

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at UDEMY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great leadership. Fantastic culture and people across the org; no egos. Innovative business model and strong product. Employees feel connected to the work their doing.

Cons

none really. if you're unhappy working at Udemy than you're probably an unhappy person (and that's ok)

Advice to Management

keep up the great work!

"Great people and an amazing mission"

I have been working at UDEMY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Udemy's mission to change lives through learning makes working here truly meaningful, and the company is still small enough that each employee and role really does make an impact. Udemy has tons of opportunities for growth and is supportive of continuous learning for its employees. On top of unlimited access to the entire course catalog, employees are given $1500/year to pursue professional development opportunities outside of the office. The benefits and work-life balance are great, but the biggest pro of working here is definitely the people that you get to work with. I have never met such a smart and engaged team.

Cons

As the company grows, the need for more internal processes is increasing.

Advice to Management

Keep being transparent with the company vision and goals.

"Amazing place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Super smart, nice people working towards a great mission. Great company alignment in '17 and a Product organization that is now much stronger.

Cons

Udemy has very nice work-life balance. However, at times, it is frustrating that a core set of folks seem to carry most of the burden.

Advice to Management

Overall, Udemy is an AMAZING place to work. Keep it up!

"Great place for beginners, poor place for the experienced"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at UDEMY full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is great for the inexperienced because you get a lot of exposure to different challenges and the leadership team doesn't have the experience to solve them alone, so they rely heavily on Individual Contributors. My recommendation to before joining is to look at the Sr. Manager, Director, or even VP level within that department and if you have more experience than them, don't join.

Great lunches
    cool office space
    people are friendly

Cons

The company is going through a bit of an identity crisis. They want to be a premium education provider but that is not what the business is based on.

They appeal to the masses as a low cost solution to learn something new. Although they tried to increase the cost last year without providing any new functionality or features, quickly after the change, Udemy took a beating in revenue and decided that keeping the 10 dollar course sale days was the only way to make money. In the end, nobody was at fault for the massive miscalculation.

I really wanted more out of the company because I truly believe in providing access to education at a low cost. Unfortunately, the company does not have a clear vision for what they are trying to accomplish and the leadership team plays a lot of politics.

Advice to Management

Stop pointing the finger at individual contributors for your failures and start acknowledging that you don't have all the answers.

Hire an actual CMO, CFO, and COO if you want to grow.