UDR Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 247 reviews

3.6
UDR CEO Thomas W. Toomey
Thomas W. Toomey
Pros
  • "The opportunity for growth is one of the biggest reasons I stayed around(in 12 reviews)

• "Good pay, good benefits, supportive environment, lots of room to learn and grow(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • "residents to handle (upper management rarely steps in to help), it was impossible not to work extra hours(in 17 reviews)

• "Work/life balance could improve(in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Leasing Consultant Orange County

• Overall

I have been working at UDR

Pros

If you love sales and real estate, you should work here!! UDR has a great portfolio- both urban and suburban communities. They have an attitude to be the best. The company is innovative with technology and revenue growth. High expectations and beautiful communities. Great amount of resources. Opportunities within the company. They seem to acknowledge hard working associates. Pay is good- some reviews state the commission...

Cons

I can’t think of a major con- I love working for UDR. My only negative remark will be the parking charge for first vehicles at communities. I understand the top line growth this has given the company, but it also turns many prospects away immediately and is sometimes difficult to combat. However, it doesn’t seem to matter that much since we stay leasing.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing. One of my major complaints was the lack of clarity and amount of hoops we had to jump through to get solid pricing on furnished housing- so I love the fact that it has been rolled out.

2. Lots of Opportunities

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at UDR full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Great emphasis on team dynamics and lots of promoting from within.

Cons

Every company of this size has a couple employees who don't pull their weight as much, but that's to be expected.

3. Great Company

Current Employee - Community Director

I have been working at UDR full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Ability to make changes.

Cons

Lack of training for new hires.

4. Good Company

Former Employee - IT Service Desk Analyst in Highlands Ranch, CO

I worked at UDR full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

There were a ton of perks to working here. The staff in the HQ building were all pretty nice and easy to work with. There's a good culture here. They recognize and reward you for a job well done. They have a pretty nice holiday party.

Cons

Condensing office and work spaces

Advice to Management

The higher ups/company owners could greatly benefit this company, by allowing UDR to invest more time and money into making the IT/systems team more up to date and efficient.

5. It's a great place to learn

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at UDR full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Commission structure, hourly wage, and spiff opportunities are higher than industry average for Leasing Consultants. If you're money motivated, it's a great fit. It's a publicly traded, multi-billion dollar company so the resources are there to help you thrive and keep you motivated. They do have district wide events. Christmas parties, company picnics, etc etc. So you get to interact with a lot of people in the company....

Cons

Weekend work can be a little harsh. Also, some properties require the leasing consultant to also act as a concierge, so the customer service factor might be overwhelming at times. People that live in an apartment complex can be a little demanding especially in the Washington, DC area so it can be a bit frustrating.

Advice to Management

PLEASE hire a full time concierge during the day for some of your larger communities. It'll take the burden off of your front line. Also, please ensure that Community Directors know what the lease says.

6. They pay better

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at UDR full-time for more than 6 years

Pros

It used be be a good company now it's all about the sale.

Cons

All districts work different

Lack of Growth, Large Corporation Does Not Care About YOU, Daily Stress

Former Employee - Resident Services Coordinator in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at UDR full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

- Rent discount (30% off) -Small Commission for renting reserved parking & adding pets to leases -On-site staff usually tries the best they can with the little resources allocated for them (lack of resident funds for events, small staff at large properties, etc.)

Cons

From the beginning there was minimal training, multiple RSC's started and quit within my year of employment. The on-site team worked numerous weeks of overtime yet we were frequently discouraged and scolded from working so much. However, when you have a small staff and 5000+ residents to handle (upper management rarely steps in to help), it was impossible not to work extra hours. There is NO work to life balance. At....

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like people. Your employees aren't leaving the company because they want better days off. They leave because upper management cannot relate with their on-site team and only care about impressing the corporate office with numbers and dollar signs. The high turnover here all comes down to senior leadership, and unfortunately, I did not have the pleasure of experiencing proper leadership from the uppers.

Maintenance

Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Nashville, TN

I worked at UDR full-time for more than a year

Pros

None,they lied about the company!Many lawsuit's against them!

Cons

Worst company I've ever worked for! They charge residents for everything, over work their employees, and act like they're doing you a favor!

Advice to Management

The people who keep the resident there deserve the bonuses,not the out of touch wenches that run the management.

Micromanaging to the max

Former Employee - Concierge

I worked at UDR full-time for more than a year

Pros

Employee housing discount, fabulous portfolio with amazing properties, employee events.

Cons

The management at this company is a nightmare! He said, she said. Constant lies and degrading. Absolutely zero training, almost no holidays off to spend with your family. I was picked apart every day by my mangers about my body figure. I couldn’t get away from this company quick enough!

UDR Response

December 7, 2018Recruiting Manager

Please contact UDR Human Resources department if you would like to discuss in detail at 720-348-7650

10. UDR is a Great Place to Work!

Current Employee - Director in Highlands Ranch, CO

I have been working at UDR full-time for more than 9 years

Pros

Good pay, good benefits, supportive environment, lots of room to learn and grow.

Cons

Location of the home office.

Found 247 reviews