UDR Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
UDR President & CEO Thomas W. Toomey
Thomas W. Toomey

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The opportunity for growth is one of the biggest reasons I stayed around" (in 12 reviews)

• "Good benefits and culture - people care about their work and coworkers" (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • "Absolute WORST upper management I've ever dealt with and no employee appreciation that really matters" (in 16 reviews)

• "Work/life balance could improve" (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Leasing Consultant Orange County"

Pros

If you love sales and real estate, you should work here!!
    UDR has a great portfolio- both urban and suburban communities. They have an attitude to be the best.
    The company is innovative with technology and revenue growth.
    High expectations and beautiful communities.
    Great amount of resources.
    Opportunities within the company.
    They seem to acknowledge hard working associates.
    Pay is good- some reviews state the commission structure changed which is true. However, since the roll out of 1 month furnished leases this makes sense. You can still make 60K and this does not require sophisticated education/training.
    Housing discount is great.
    I’ve worked with some hard working great teams.

Cons

I can’t think of a major con- I love working for UDR.
    My only negative remark will be the parking charge for first vehicles at communities. I understand the top line growth this has given the company, but it also turns many prospects away immediately and is sometimes difficult to combat. However, it doesn’t seem to matter that much since we stay leasing.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing. One of my major complaints was the lack of clarity and amount of hoops we had to jump through to get solid pricing on furnished housing- so I love the fact that it has been rolled out.

"Growth opportunities lacking"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Highlands Ranch, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Highlands Ranch, CO

I worked at UDR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Collaborative culture, Environment provides hands on learning experience

Cons

Lack of growth, High turnover, Inexperienced management, Favoritism, Upper management disconnected from day-to-day onsite happenings, Lack of training, Lack of transparency with employees and residents

Advice to Management

Build your foundation of employees by implementing training and allow for them to grow with the company by backfilling vacant positions from within and offering opportunities for growth for current employees. Don't wait for an employee to give notice to express how much they mean to the company to get them to stay.

3. "Don’t recommend"

Former Employee - OFFICE SPECIALIST in Highlands Ranch, CO
    Former Employee - OFFICE SPECIALIST in Highlands Ranch, CO

I worked at UDR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly people, decent time off

Cons

Poor management, high turnover, no upward growth

UDR Response

Oct 19, 2018 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We are happy you felt the people at UDR are friendly and you liked our time off benefits. However, it is concerning to hear you saw no growth potential... More

4. "Leasing Consultant"

I worked at UDR full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

UDR values their employees. They find ways to remind everyone that their work is valued and it never goes unnoticed. Also, they’re a large company so relocation is always a possibility if you’re looking for growth within sales/property management.

Cons

The only con I had was with the property I was placed at. The training was out of the norm. You have many people telling you different things and somewhat creating rules as they went by, more so what they found accommodating to them rather than the actual UDR office policy and procedures.

Advice to Management

Create an understand of all policies and procedures to adhere to by all. If one is unsure about a regulation, rather than going by what you think, create a ln opportunity for discussion so everyone is on the same page.

5. "Great!"

Current Employee - Leasing Agent in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Leasing Agent in Seattle, WA

I have been working at UDR full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Love them. Highest caliber of leasing, great benefits and pay.

Cons

Can be very politicky, but typical

Advice to Management

Stop lowering the commission. We deserve to be paid.

"Gotta Love people"

Current Employee - Concierge in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Concierge in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at UDR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company, Great staff. Organized and well put together

Cons

Rent Discount is amazing and welcomed in the area. I wish rent-able items such as parking would be discounted as well.

Advice to Management

Non! Management is great here.

"Ugh. Couldn’t leave fast enough."

I worked at UDR full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay, commission, and coworkers are all amazing!! Full time will get a 30% discount at any of the communities!

Cons

No real training, insanely high turnover, we almost weren’t closed on the 4th if July until corporate decided to be so generous and let us have it off.
    Billing department is awful to deal with when assisting former residents.
    While I adored my coworkers, the residents were all gigantic jerks who felt entitled because they pay an average rent rate for a luxury apartment.

Advice to Management

More training needs to be offered to new employees. Do more to keep employees on board. You’ve all said it’s about growth possibilities but no one that works for the company has had positive experiences when wanting to take the next step.

"Maintenance"

Former Employee - Maintenance in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Maintenance in Nashville, TN

I worked at UDR full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None,they drive the people who keep up the properties to the point of exhaustion and mental breakdown.

Cons

Poor management,charge residents for everything to include parking,lightbulbs,they even have meetings to come up with new ideas on how to charge more money for anything they think they can!

Advice to Management

The people that hold the company together deserve the bonuses the management gets. Running your maintenance people into the ground will destroy this company.

9. "Leasing Consultant"

Pros

Office atmosphere is pleasant and senior management is very accessible and approachable. The company has quarterly employee events, 401k company match and a generous housing discount. Over all this is a fun place to work.

Cons

Salary and compensation does not coincide with the responsibilities of this position especially in the DC metro area.

Advice to Management

Offer more competitive salaries and implement a formal training program for leasing consultants. Set clear guidelines, policies and procedures for specific regions.

"Floating Leasing Consultant"

I worked at UDR full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

30% rent discount on their communities... which you still wont be able to afford with the low salary and commissions they pay you

Cons

I worked at multiple communities at UDR and every single one of them has the worst moral to work at. They have absolutely zero training for any new hires. They lowered the pay by 30% for commissions just randomly and then claimed it matched the market (it doesn't). Once they lowered the pay a bunch of people quit and upper management refused to hire new people even though the onsite staff was drowning and begging for the extra help. 2 people working at a 450+ community? So unprofessional! Upper management will treat you like you are nothing. If you voice you are unhappy they will tell you that you are lucky to have the job you have. I was one of the better leasing agents in the Orange County area and was told that they were changing my role to a floating leasing consultant because I was under performing. Then proceeded to mak me work at three communities at a time ALONE. Why would you trust someone who was under performing at one community to work at three? Because I wasn't under performing they just didn't want to pay to hire anyone else!

They raise rents on residents by at least 10% per year and don't care if they move out! All they care about is making a quick buck and then they sell the community when it starts going down hill rather than invest time and interest to their communities.

Absolutely no room for growth, don't let them lie to you in the interview process. Moving people up would require them to hire someone new, which they wont until staff starts begging for months on end.

Advice to Management

To the CEO, who you have in charge on the Orange County / Area 8 is going to run your company into the ground! If you are wondering why your most expensive asset is suffering out here it is because of your management! They treat your employees like trash and treat the residents even worse! Not good business practice if you want a long term success. Cutting corners to save a dollar only works for so long and refusing to provide decent customer service is going to ruin your reputation... it already is.