UDR Reviews | Glassdoor

Sign Up for FREE in seconds to unlock millions of salaries and reviews

UDR Reviews

Updated May 14, 2018

Full-timePart-time

3.7
UDR President & CEO Thomas W. Toomey
Thomas W. Toomey

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The opportunity for growth is one of the biggest reasons I stayed around (in 16 reviews)

• Good benefits and culture - people care about their work and coworkers (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Absolute WORST upper management I've ever dealt with and no employee appreciation that really matters (in 15 reviews)

• Work/life balance could improve (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Proud Service Technician in San Fracnicso"

Current Employee - Service Technician in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Service Technician in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at UDR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been a Technician in this industry for a few years now, and I have had the opportunity to work for three different companies in four different bay area cities. UDR has truly opened my eyes to how amazing this area is, as well as the incredible opportunities that are available to me given the proper tools and leadership. Not only has UDR provided me with foresight of the possibilities for myself and my peers, they have also developed the tools necessary to help me achieve my goals. This has made me not only a better technician, but a better person and professional. I now exceed at my job daily, and my confidence is at an all time high. Pair this with the amazing team members they have put into place, and what you have is the perfect formula for a positive experience in a booming industry. I have no question that UDR has changed the course of my career and my life. This is not just another Service Technician job, this is the pathway to success.

Cons

I have no cons to mention at this point.

Advice to Management

Keep up the amazing work supporting hungry employees, looking to build a better future for ourselves and our families.

UDR Response

Feb 1, 2018 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for sharing your thought about working for UDR. It is always great to hear from someone with industry experience who joins UDR see’s we truly value our team members and want to help them... More

"I love UDR!"

Current Employee - Community Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at UDR full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

CULTURE! UDR has 5 core values, Integrity, Respect, Teamwork, Ownership and Growth. Our culture has everything to do with the high caliber of people that work for UDR from both ends of the spectrum. The Corporate Team is there to support the on-site team, and in return you see the teamwork in action. We are given ownership of our communities and our teams. I began working for UDR in 2008 in the Dallas area, and I love this company!

Cons

When you have all of the ownership in your community, it can be stressful and demanding. IT issues from time to time, but who doesn't have that! Technology, you can love it and hate it in a 5 minute time span!

Advice to Management

Continue to press for future development. Continue to build teams with people that share UDR's values. Continue to be proactive in our employee's lives. We love that! Continue the small things, like notes from our corporate support. Continue to take care of the people and they will take care of your residents and investors.

3. "Good Company"

I worked at UDR full-time

Pros

Hour lunch, good pay and decent benefits.

Cons

Money hungry company forgets to prioritize residents.

Advice to Management

Prioritize residents.

"Leasing Consultant"

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Huntington Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Huntington Beach, CA

I worked at UDR full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice complexes to live at and 30% discount. (Do not expect that to last)

Cons

Originally when I first started working for UDR I genuinely enjoyed the job, the perks, and the management. As the years went on I watched the company grow greedier and greedier as top level managers tried making more money for themselves and their shareholders. It went from charging residents more for parking, more pet rent, ridiculous renewal increases, large move out charges, no budgets for maintenance or community events and the list can go on. But then they started taking away from their associates as well. They first decreased the rent discount and then worst of all they decreased commissions!!! They are now trying to change our title from "Leasing Consultants" to "Customer Service Reps". Obviously, this is so anyone new trying to apply will agree to be paid on a customer service wage instead of a sales/leasing agent wage. Word of advice... apply somewhere else. You will be treated like a number here. You mean nothing to them just like their residents. You will have to enforce ridiculous fees and charges and have to deal with the backlash from the residents after. You will be offered no support of any kind. You will be overworked in a never ending cycle of monotony, phones ringing, people walking in, follow up pages, resident issues, and renewals because they never staff enough people. You will work nearly all holidays and you will not have weekends off as they are the busiest days for leasing. I could go on and on but bottom line is that this is now a huge greedy company that cares only about lining their shareholders pockets and you are just the tool that they use to do that. Don't be their tool.

Advice to Management

Start treating employees and resident like real people instead of just the thing that makes your stocks go up.

5. "Leasing Consultant in OC market"

I have been working at UDR full-time

Pros

UDR has an abundance of resources for associates to get the job done. They have a solid position in the OC market and are growing and making big moves. The area that I work has very good teams and everyone seems very close. UDR pays LC's well but the commission structure was changed (see cons).
    The company seems to have the opportunities for growth. The benefits are competitive and the systems are modern. The new properties are amazing and the others are solid.
    UDR has high expectations for associates, which is a good thing.

Cons

UDR spreads employees very thin- we seem to struggle to leverage our time with office traffic and only two LC's. This is attributed to extremely tight budgets. There are always issues with new construction, so I will not comment on building imperfections because overall the properties all seem well positioned- but nothing is perfect in this industry.
    The commission structure in our area was recently changed from .05% of lease term to a flat payout of $100 on new leases and $120 for renewals. This is not horrible but for higher price point properties- you just received a 40% salary decrease.
    Being that UDR is a REIT- sometimes getting things done takes some time, and this time lapse has repercussions.
    The training is also lackluster.

Advice to Management

Continue to grow the portfolio and empower associates. Consider implementing a higher intensity training program on systems, procedures, etc. The idea of hands on training is fine but one week of training may help management leverage their time more effectively when a new hire joins the team.

"Admin Assistant"

I worked at UDR full-time

Pros

Fun and energetic place to work.

Cons

I do not have any cons to share about UDR

"Community Director"

Former Employee - Community Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Community Director in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at UDR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

On-site staff did the best they could.

Cons

Terrible regional/area managers; on-site staff are treated very poorly. High expectations, but not enough staff to meet those expectations.

Advice to Management

Treat on site staff with more respect. Stop trying to manage by using fear tactics and treating people like slaves. They're working in the trenches thinking on their feet, dealing with day to day fires and problems, and keeping the issues off of your plate. Also, stop making promises you do not intend to keep.

8. "Once management changed it went down hill"

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Braintree, MA
    Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Braintree, MA

I worked at UDR full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Beautiful communities. Business office amazing and works in a timely manner. Plenty of opportunities for overtime. Team events/outings every quarter.

Cons

Improper training. Management has bad communication. Understaffed. Promotes false advertising. Maintenance techs are lazy. Managers also pick favorites that are catered to and have special priveliges.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate the management teams starting with acd's.

"California in Trouble"

Former Employee - Community Director
    Former Employee - Community Director

I worked at UDR full-time

Pros

There is a lot of turnover which does create movement. The pay is better than other companies and they are competitive with benefits, although not best in class, genuinely pretty good. You are given autonomy to run your business and make fast-paced changes which is nice. UDR is very tech savvy and leads the market on this. Tom and Jerry do interact regularly with the sites and host yearly contests which are fun and motivating.

Cons

UDR aims to win the market in any way necessary. While this is not altogether a con. They do tend to nickel and dime customers which can make customer service difficult. They are innovative and competitive which is also listed in my Pros, but almost to the extreme. The real con comes with the lack of culture and cold business practices California. There has been massive turn over at the Regional and Site Level due to leadership practices. There really is no heart in Southern California and they are finding it difficult to hold on to good associates. This is an expensive and short-sighted strategy. There is little to no work-life balance and your job at UDR would be to impress the most senior leadership during every interaction repeatedly or you will find yourself ostracized and marginalized. Fear and intimation and sometimes downright illegal behaviors are practiced by those at Senior levels. All terminations at the management and regional level besides 1 have been voluntary in 2017. I did have a previous review that was removed which I find odd. Not sure if UDR can pay to remove reviews.

Advice to Management

Culture is important. Just as your employees have the responsibility to take care of leadership and business interests, senior leadership is conversely a support role to the sites which bring in the revenue for the company. Having a heart doesn't have to contradict maximizing revenue. You will find that highly engaged and happy employees create a healthier workforce and thusly higher returns. Take a serious look at leadership highering and decision makers brought on in the last few years. The engagement in Southern California I've heard doesn't match the rest of the portfolio.

10. "Review"

Current Employee - Leasing Associate in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Leasing Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at UDR full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Large, supported, resources, great product

Cons

Slow to advance, corporate, "black and white" mentality