UDR Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
UDR President & CEO Thomas W. Toomey
Thomas W. Toomey

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The opportunity for growth is one of the biggest reasons I stayed around" (in 12 reviews)

• "Pay is good but that is the only thing I can say is good about this company" (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "Absolute WORST upper management I've ever dealt with and no employee appreciation that really matters" (in 15 reviews)

• "Work/life balance could improve" (in 5 reviews)

1. "Leasing Consultant Orange County"

Pros

If you love sales and real estate, you should work here!!
    UDR has a great portfolio- both urban and suburban communities. They have an attitude to be the best.
    The company is innovative with technology and revenue growth.
    High expectations and beautiful communities.
    Great amount of resources.
    Opportunities within the company.
    They seem to acknowledge hard working associates.
    Pay is good- some reviews state the commission structure changed which is true. However, since the roll out of 1 month furnished leases this makes sense. You can still make 60K and this does not require sophisticated education/training.
    Housing discount is great.
    I’ve worked with some hard working great teams.

Cons

I can’t think of a major con- I love working for UDR.
    My only negative remark will be the parking charge for first vehicles at communities. I understand the top line growth this has given the company, but it also turns many prospects away immediately and is sometimes difficult to combat. However, it doesn’t seem to matter that much since we stay leasing.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing. One of my major complaints was the lack of clarity and amount of hoops we had to jump through to get solid pricing on furnished housing- so I love the fact that it has been rolled out.

2. "Great!"

Current Employee - Leasing Agent in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Leasing Agent in Seattle, WA

I have been working at UDR full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Love them. Highest caliber of leasing, great benefits and pay.

Cons

Can be very politicky, but typical

Advice to Management

Stop lowering the commission. We deserve to be paid.

"Gotta Love people"

Current Employee - Concierge in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Concierge in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at UDR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company, Great staff. Organized and well put together

Cons

Rent Discount is amazing and welcomed in the area. I wish rent-able items such as parking would be discounted as well.

Advice to Management

Non! Management is great here.

4. "Leasing Consultant"

Pros

Office atmosphere is pleasant and senior management is very accessible and approachable. The company has quarterly employee events, 401k company match and a generous housing discount. Over all this is a fun place to work.

Cons

Salary and compensation does not coincide with the responsibilities of this position especially in the DC metro area.

Advice to Management

Offer more competitive salaries and implement a formal training program for leasing consultants. Set clear guidelines, policies and procedures for specific regions.

"Floating Leasing Consultant"

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Huntington Beach, CA

I worked at UDR full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

30% rent discount on their communities... which you still wont be able to afford with the low salary and commissions they pay you

Cons

I worked at multiple communities at UDR and every single one of them has the worst moral to work at. They have absolutely zero training for any new hires. They lowered the pay by 30% for commissions just randomly and then claimed it matched the market (it doesn't). Once they lowered the pay a bunch of people quit and upper management refused to hire new people even though the onsite staff was drowning and begging for the extra help. 2 people working at a 450+ community? So unprofessional! Upper management will treat you like you are nothing. If you voice you are unhappy they will tell you that you are lucky to have the job you have. I was one of the better leasing agents in the Orange County area and was told that they were changing my role to a floating leasing consultant because I was under performing. Then proceeded to mak me work at three communities at a time ALONE. Why would you trust someone who was under performing at one community to work at three? Because I wasn't under performing they just didn't want to pay to hire anyone else!

They raise rents on residents by at least 10% per year and don't care if they move out! All they care about is making a quick buck and then they sell the community when it starts going down hill rather than invest time and interest to their communities.

Absolutely no room for growth, don't let them lie to you in the interview process. Moving people up would require them to hire someone new, which they wont until staff starts begging for months on end.

Advice to Management

To the CEO, who you have in charge on the Orange County / Area 8 is going to run your company into the ground! If you are wondering why your most expensive asset is suffering out here it is because of your management! They treat your employees like trash and treat the residents even worse! Not good business practice if you want a long term success. Cutting corners to save a dollar only works for so long and refusing to provide decent customer service is going to ruin your reputation... it already is.

"Don't work here. Awful for Employees, awful for residents"

Current Employee - Leasing in Huntington Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Leasing in Huntington Beach, CA

I have been working at UDR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice Environment, some good people

Cons

The list is endless but most of their cons are related to the fact that UDR is the cheapest, greediest company I have ever worked for by far. They don't care at all about their residents or employees and that's why the brand is seriously suffering in their biggest market, Southern California. Uncanny amounts of turnover, reductions to commissions and perks, and expect to get screamed at by residents on a daily basis who are complaining about UDR exploiting them by reducing services while simultaneously raising fees. They'll take advantage of any possible way to shave a dollar, even if its illegal.

Advice to Management

You would have less occupancy issues and a better bottom line if you stopped nickel and diming your residents and employees.

7. "Good Company"

I worked at UDR full-time

Pros

Hour lunch, good pay and decent benefits.

Cons

Money hungry company forgets to prioritize residents.

Advice to Management

Prioritize residents.

"I love UDR!"

Current Employee - Community Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at UDR full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

CULTURE! UDR has 5 core values, Integrity, Respect, Teamwork, Ownership and Growth. Our culture has everything to do with the high caliber of people that work for UDR from both ends of the spectrum. The Corporate Team is there to support the on-site team, and in return you see the teamwork in action. We are given ownership of our communities and our teams. I began working for UDR in 2008 in the Dallas area, and I love this company!

Cons

When you have all of the ownership in your community, it can be stressful and demanding. IT issues from time to time, but who doesn't have that! Technology, you can love it and hate it in a 5 minute time span!

Advice to Management

Continue to press for future development. Continue to build teams with people that share UDR's values. Continue to be proactive in our employee's lives. We love that! Continue the small things, like notes from our corporate support. Continue to take care of the people and they will take care of your residents and investors.

"Leasing Consultant"

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Huntington Beach, CA

I worked at UDR full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice complexes to live at and 30% discount. (Do not expect that to last)

Cons

Originally when I first started working for UDR I genuinely enjoyed the job, the perks, and the management. As the years went on I watched the company grow greedier and greedier as top level managers tried making more money for themselves and their shareholders. It went from charging residents more for parking, more pet rent, ridiculous renewal increases, large move out charges, no budgets for maintenance or community events and the list can go on. But then they started taking away from their associates as well. They first decreased the rent discount and then worst of all they decreased commissions!!! They are now trying to change our title from "Leasing Consultants" to "Customer Service Reps". Obviously, this is so anyone new trying to apply will agree to be paid on a customer service wage instead of a sales/leasing agent wage. Word of advice... apply somewhere else. You will be treated like a number here. You mean nothing to them just like their residents. You will have to enforce ridiculous fees and charges and have to deal with the backlash from the residents after. You will be offered no support of any kind. You will be overworked in a never ending cycle of monotony, phones ringing, people walking in, follow up pages, resident issues, and renewals because they never staff enough people. You will work nearly all holidays and you will not have weekends off as they are the busiest days for leasing. I could go on and on but bottom line is that this is now a huge greedy company that cares only about lining their shareholders pockets and you are just the tool that they use to do that. Don't be their tool.

Advice to Management

Start treating employees and resident like real people instead of just the thing that makes your stocks go up.

"Community Director"

Former Employee - Community Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Community Director in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at UDR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

On-site staff did the best they could.

Cons

Terrible regional/area managers; on-site staff are treated very poorly. High expectations, but not enough staff to meet those expectations.

Advice to Management

Treat on site staff with more respect. Stop trying to manage by using fear tactics and treating people like slaves. They're working in the trenches thinking on their feet, dealing with day to day fires and problems, and keeping the issues off of your plate. Also, stop making promises you do not intend to keep.