UDR Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
UDR President & CEO Thomas W. Toomey
Thomas W. Toomey

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The opportunity for growth is one of the biggest reasons I stayed around (in 11 reviews)

• Good benefits and culture - people care about their work and coworkers (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Absolute WORST upper management I've ever dealt with and no employee appreciation that really matters (in 15 reviews)

• Commission structure, work/life balance, weekends are a must (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Proud Service Technician in San Fracnicso"

Current Employee - Service Technician in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Service Technician in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at UDR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been a Technician in this industry for a few years now, and I have had the opportunity to work for three different companies in four different bay area cities. UDR has truly opened my eyes to how amazing this area is, as well as the incredible opportunities that are available to me given the proper tools and leadership. Not only has UDR provided me with foresight of the possibilities for myself and my peers, they have also developed the tools necessary to help me achieve my goals. This has made me not only a better technician, but a better person and professional. I now exceed at my job daily, and my confidence is at an all time high. Pair this with the amazing team members they have put into place, and what you have is the perfect formula for a positive experience in a booming industry. I have no question that UDR has changed the course of my career and my life. This is not just another Service Technician job, this is the pathway to success.

Cons

I have no cons to mention at this point.

Advice to Management

Keep up the amazing work supporting hungry employees, looking to build a better future for ourselves and our families.

Feb 1, 2018 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for sharing your thought about working for UDR. It is always great to hear from someone with industry experience who joins UDR see’s we truly value our team members and want to help them... More

"Changes in Management clean up Washington DC Market"

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at UDR full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was formerly a vendor in the multi-family industry before I accepted a position at UDR. From the outside looking in, as well as the negative Washington DC reviews, UDR has had its challenges with the Washington, DC market. The regional office recently switched a few things up, and business is looking much brighter. It seems as though as the whole entire DMV area is beginning to meld together like a well oiled machine. I was pleasantly surprised to find that UDR has a very down to earth culture especially between corporate and the front line. I'm just an entry level leasing consultant and I've been able to shake hands with our regional vice president three time in two months, so it definitely has that small work family feel, which is great because this fits my personality very well. The company also makes itself very accessible. No question is too stupid to ask, and they're open to feedback to any concerns about processes. The best pro is the pay. I took a step back in my career to gain experience on the leasing side of the industry, and they were flexible enough to offer me a base pay that was fair to my sales experience. Although it was still a minor pay cut that I expected, it didn't break the bank on me. Also, the commission structure is above average in the industry. After about two months of being in the company the honeymoon phase is over, but the love is still there. I'm having a great time.

Cons

Like any good property management company, there's pressure to perform. You have to sell apartment homes, and nobody on the sales side of big business is exempt from consequence. Contrary to what some might believe, but numbers absolutely come first (this shouldn't be a "con" but apparently it's a general complaint found in the softness of a my "participation trophy" generation). Spare me your feelings, but no numbers equals no job. Your numbers, your activity, your closing rate, everything is dependent on your performance. You can be the most honest, ethical, well behaved employee but if you aren't selling, and you're not closing leases.....then you either need to change things up, or it's not the career for you. UDR won't tolerate order takers, they want sales professionals who are confident enough to ask for the deal. Another con that I've voiced my opinion over is the way we calculate our sales ratio. The closing rate is inaccurate when you're doing fair housing forced tours (which is fine, I'm sincerely more than happy to show off our product to ANYBODY that's willing to see it, and handing an application to anybody willing to fill one out) but calculating unqualified leads and future prospects who aren't moving in for six more months into the current month closing ratio is inaccurate. This isn't a huge deal, and I don't cry myself to sleep over it, but there has to be a better way.

Advice to Management

I interviewed with UDR a year ago and one Community Director wouldn't hire me because I didn't have any "leasing experience". The recruiter was even shocked by this. Fast forward to 2017 and I gave it another shot, to which I was hired based on my sales experience alone. With that, I closed 5 leases in my first 30 days (with the support of my Community Director. Team work makes the dream work in our Community and we're out to help each other be successful.) Leasing operations is not rocket science, and can be easily taught. My CD took me in because I can close. Period. It'd be wise to follow suit.

3. "Review"

Current Employee - Leasing Associate in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Leasing Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at UDR full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Large, supported, resources, great product

Cons

Slow to advance, corporate, "black and white" mentality

4. "marketing associate"

I worked at UDR full-time

Pros

benefits and pay, and time off

Cons

work work work work work

"Mediocre At Best"

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at UDR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Slight opportunities to grow within the company, but you have to be able to suck up to the right people and work the office politics.

Cons

Absolute WORST upper management I've ever dealt with and no employee appreciation that really matters. They will send you an email about how proud of you they are, then they will cut your commission.

Advice to Management

Take a walk at the property you manage and see what it's really like to work and live there, not just when you make the property spiff everything up before the big visits. The turn over for the employees in Southern California is higher than I have ever experienced. Stop promoting people that don't know how to do their job because that means they need proper training, which you are ALWAYS lacking and seem unable to provide.

Focus more on resident retention, you wouldn't be struggling with occupancy if you did what was morally correct for your current residents. RESIDENTS ARE HUMAN BEINGS JUST LIKE YOU!!!!!!!! Just realize that you are working in a people business so if you don't understand how to handle people and understand ethics, you probably shouldn't be working in a people-oriented business.

"Not Professional"

I worked at UDR full-time

Pros

The team I worked with was amazing. The best team I could have worked with. That comes rare. The company is well structured and does offer great benefits. I have worked with large REIT companies before and by far this is one of the best.

Cons

Your managers are not guaranteed but the company should filter them. They hired a Regional Manager who has no professionalism nor care for her team. She's pushed out many qualified managers who could have been an asset to her. Very unfortunate that a manager could ruin the reputation of a great company.

Advice to Management

Please do a personality assessment test on your new hires. Have them be a culture fit. UDR is a great presence in this industry and upholds the best reputation for being one of the best companies to work for. Holding onto the best makes the company the best.

Feb 1, 2018 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your feedback. Please be assured that UDR does complete personality assessments on all candidates that are perspective new hires to unsure we are hiring future team members that will... More

"Community Director"

Current Employee - Community Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Community Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at UDR full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Genuinely care for their employees, growth within the company, freedom to think and manage like an owner, Educational courses.

Cons

Culture has decreased in some areas due to the loss of some seasoned employees.

8. "Assistant Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Altamonte Springs, FL
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Altamonte Springs, FL

I have been working at UDR full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company and loyal employees.

Cons

Not a lot of career opportunities to move up within the company.

9. "Community Director"

I have been working at UDR full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

High energy company w/ a sense of family in my area.
    Corporate staff always helpful.

Cons

Wish budgets were more for operations.

Advice to Management

Thank you for letting us have a say in where/how money is spent each year.

Feb 1, 2018 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your feedback. At UDR we take pride in empowering our associates to make timely and responsible decisions and to take the actions necessary to achieve exceptionally high customer... More

"Leasing Consultant"

I have been working at UDR full-time

Pros

Easy to work with staff and upper management. They are willing to accommodate most requests you make in regards to time off.

Cons

I have been working here a few years and they have lowered my commissions 3 times while posting record profits. They will claim "you will make more money this way" and attempt to convince you of that, but the paychecks dont lie!

Advice to Management

To keep an employee, dont constantly take away from them.